M. Ebden (AUS)/S. Stosur (AUS) v N. Skupski (GBR) 2/D. Krawczyk (USA) 2

NO.1 COURT 1:00PM

GENTLEMEN'S DOUBLES - SEMI-FINALS
R. Ram (USA) 1/ J. Salisbury (GBR) 1 v M. Ebden (AUS) 14/M. Purcell (AUS) 14
NOT BEFORE: 2:30PM
GENTLEMEN'S DOUBLES - SEMI-FINALS
J. Cabal (COL) 6/R. Farah (COL) 6 v N. Mektic (CRO) 2/M. Pavic (CRO) 2

GENTLEMEN'S INVITATION DOUBLES - ROUND ROBIN
J. Blake (USA)/D. Nestor (CAN) v A. Clement (FRA)/M. Llodra (FRA)

NO.2 COURT 11:00AM

LADIES' INVITATION DOUBLES - ROUND ROBIN
J. Jankovic (SRB)/A. Radwanska (POL) v C. Dellacqua (AUS)/A. Molik (AUS)
GIRLS' SINGLES - QUARTER-FINALS
L. Hovde (USA) 1 v E. Seidel (GER)

NOT BEFORE: 2:30PM
INVITATION MIXED DOUBLES - ROUND ROBIN
G. Ivanisevic (CRO)/M. Pierce (FRA) v N. Zimonjic (SRB)/M. Bartoli (FRA)

NO.3 COURT 11:00AM

LADIES' INVITATION DOUBLES - ROUND ROBIN
N. Dechy (FRA)/B. Schett (AUT) v V. King (USA)/Y. Shvedova (KAZ)

J. Conway (GBR) v L. Klimovicova (CZE) 16
BOYS' DOUBLES - QUARTER-FINALS
M. Landaluce (ESP) 7/P. Rodenas (ESP) 7 v G. Bailly (BEL) 4/J. Nicod (CZE) 4
GIRLS' DOUBLES - QUARTER-FINALS
N. Bartunkova (CZE) 1/C. Naef (SUI) 1 v H. Klugman (GBR)/H. Oluwadare (GBR)

COURT 12 11:00AM

BOYS' SINGLES - QUARTER-FINALS
K. Feldbausch (SUI) 6 v M. Poljicak (CRO) 3
I. Kruger (RSA) v V. Mboko (CAN) 5
S. Ishii (JPN)/L. Tararudee (THA) v L. Ciric Bagaric (CRO) 3/N. Daubnerova (SVK) 3
C. Wong (HKG)/M. Zheng (USA) v J. Mensik (CZE) 6/O. Pieczkowski (POL) 6

COURT 18 11:00AM

L. Tien (USA) v M. Landaluce (ESP) 10
L. Udvardy (HUN) 7 v N. Bartunkova (CZE) 3
E. Butvilas (LTU) 1/M. Poljicak (CRO) 1 v G. Debru (FRA) 5/P. Inchauspe (FRA) 5
L. Klimovicova (CZE)/D. Salkova (CZE) v R. Nijkamp (NED)/A. Okutoyi (KEN)

COURT 4 11:00AM

GIRLS' 14&UNDER SINGLES - ROUND ROBIN
I. Britton (GBR) v V. Sekerkova (CZE) 2
S. Larraya Guidi (ARG) v N. Okhtenberg (USA) 4
BOYS' 14&UNDER SINGLES - ROUND ROBIN
I. Ivanov (BUL) 1 v M Ceban (GBR) 8
M Heidlmair (AUT) 4 v S. Cho (KOR) 5
M. Badache (ALG) 8 v I. Britton (GBR)
N. Okhtenberg (USA) 4 v A. Ichioka (JPN)

COURT 5 11:00AM

C. Vazquez (ARG) v M. Badache (ALG) 8
A. Ichioka (JPN) v S. Hetherington (FRA) 6
B Chelia (ARG) v L Lam (NMI)
M Alqurneg (JOR) v P Dietrich (BRA)
V. Sekerkova (CZE) 2 v C. Vazquez (ARG)
S. Hetherington (FRA) 6 v S. Larraya Guidi (ARG)

COURT 6 11:00AM

GIRLS' 14 &UNDER SINGLES - ROUND ROBIN
M. Angel (MEX) v A. Tatu (ROU) 1
A. Jadhav (IND) v A. Soare (ROU) 5
M Todoran (ROU) 2 v K. Hance (USA) 7
C. Ngounoue (USA) 3 v J. Dembo (AUS) 6
A. Tatu (ROU) 1 v G. Guillen (AUS)
A. Soare (ROU) 5 v A. Das (NZL)

COURT 7 11:00AM

K. Ivanovski (MKD) v P. Rodenas (ESP)
M. Zheng (USA) v C. Wong (HKG)
S. Gorzny (USA)/A. Michelsen (USA) v J. Loutit (NZL)/E. Winter (AUS)
K. Cross (CAN) 4/V. Mboko (CAN) 4 v K. Tomajkova (CZE) 8/N. Vargova (SVK) 8

COURT 8 11:00AM

G. Guillen (AUS) v A. Loftus (GBR) 7
A. Das (NZL) v M. Stojsavljevic (GBR) 3
D Pagani (ARG) v A Missoum (MAR)
L Channon (GBR) v M Schtulmann (MEX)
A. Loftus (GBR) 7 v M. Angel (MEX)
M. Stojsavljevic (GBR) 3 v A. Jadhav (IND)

COURT 14 11:00AM

GENTLEMEN'S WHEELCHAIR SINGLES - QUARTER-FINALS
G. Reid (GBR) v A. Hewett (GBR) 2
LADIES' WHEELCHAIR SINGLES - QUARTER-FINALS
L. Shuker (GBR) v M. Ohtani (JPN)
NOT BEFORE: 1:30PM
D. De Groot (NED) 1 v D. Mathewson (USA)
NOT BEFORE: 3:00PM
QUAD WHEELCHAIR SINGLES - QUARTER-FINALS
A. Lapthorne (GBR) v H. Davidson (AUS)

COURT 15 11:00AM

J. Gerard (BEL) v T. Oda (JPN)
A. Van Koot (NED) v J. Griffioen (NED)
K. Sugeno (JPN) v S. Schroder (NED) 2
D. Ramphadi (RSA) v D. Wagner (USA)

COURT 17 11:00AM

S. Kunieda (JPN) 1 v T. Egberink (NED)
G. Fernandez (ARG) v N. Peifer (FRA)
K. Montjane (RSA) v Y. Kamiji (JPN) 2
N. Vink (NED) 1 v Y. Silva (BRA)

TO BE ARRANGED 1
NOT BEFORE: 4:00PM
INVITATION MIXED DOUBLES - ROUND ROBIN
M. Bahrami (FRA)/C. Martinez (ESP) v T.A. Woodbridge (AUS)/C. Black (ZIM)
NOT BEFORE: 4:00PM
GENTLEMEN'S INVITATION DOUBLES - ROUND ROBIN
J. Marray (GBR)/F. Nielsen (DEN) v B. Bryan (USA)/M. Bryan (USA)

by Cuckoo4Coco My predictions:

Jabeur over Marie
Halep over Rybakina

by ti-amie Does anyone know how the Under 14 tournament works? Do they play three set matches? I see that a lot of the kids are scheduled for two matches pretty close to each other. I also had no idea they were doing an Under 14.

by ponchi101 I wouldn't mind an under 14 tournament.
If parents are not allowed in the stands. I can only wonder how they behave (the parents).

by Cuckoo4Coco
ponchi101 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:11 pm I wouldn't mind an under 14 tournament.
If parents are not allowed in the stands. I can only wonder how they behave (the parents).
I would love to see some of these matches too. I have watched a couple of the Juniors Girls matches and they were really awesome. The 14's though are not televised or at least I have not seen any of them. If a Juniors match is still going on after the regular matches are done I will put them on.

by ponchi101 About two years ago, there was a tournament at the place I used to play. 12, 14, 16 and over categories. So, when did a real problem started? When one kid called one ball out, the parent of the other kid started yelling, called him a cheater and the other parent got all angry. They nearly came to blows; had to be separated by staff, and then be told to stop watching the match and calm down. Which only led to a second round of roughness because, of course, "nobody is going to tell me I cannot watch my kid play".
The two kids, on court, were looking at each other in disbelief.
That was what I was referring to. I wonder how Apostolos behaved during Stefanos' matches when he was a junior (and I would bet the soul I don't have he was there, coaching Stefanos, cheating the other kid).

by ti-amie
ponchi101 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:29 pm About two years ago, there was a tournament at the place I used to play. 12, 14, 16 and over categories. So, when did a real problem started? When one kid called one ball out, the parent of the other kid started yelling, called him a cheater and the other parent got all angry. They nearly came to blows; had to be separated by staff, and then be told to stop watching the match and calm down. Which only led to a second round of roughness because, of course, "nobody is going to tell me I cannot watch my kid play".
That was what I was referring to. I wonder how Apostolos behaved during Stefanos' matches when he was a junior (and I would bet the soul I don't have he was there, coaching Stefanos, cheating the other kid).
I'm Apostolos had a white board complete with x's and o's that he held up during young Stefanos' matches.

by Cuckoo4Coco
ponchi101 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:29 pm About two years ago, there was a tournament at the place I used to play. 12, 14, 16 and over categories. So, when did a real problem started? When one kid called one ball out, the parent of the other kid started yelling, called him a cheater and the other parent got all angry. They nearly came to blows; had to be separated by staff, and then be told to stop watching the match and calm down. Which only led to a second round of roughness because, of course, "nobody is going to tell me I cannot watch my kid play".
I of course have played in tournaments at the age of 12 and 14 and now at 16 and there are parents in the bleachers that are vocal, but I have never experienced anyone scream out that there kids opponent was cheating or the parents start fighting. I think if that happened with my mom and another parent, I first would be extremely shocked if my mom would do something like that but I think I also would be so embarrassed I don't know if I would be able to continue playing the match. Most of the matches I play and the tournaments I play in only get about 20 to 30 people watching the match. I think the most that ever watched a match I played in was around 50 people.

by ponchi101 I guess I live in a country of hot-blooded, testosterone driven, societal norms. :(

by Cuckoo4Coco
ponchi101 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:39 pm I guess I live in a country of hot-blooded, testosterone driven, societal norms. :(
I guess it happens here in the United States too, but I have never experienced it while on court. I don't mind a parent or someone shouting out for my opponent or cheering for my opponent. Heck my mom, grandpa, and my brothers do it for me. They aren't like obnoxious and do it like all throughout the match, but if I play a really good point they will say something to encourage me.

by Cuckoo4Coco I thought about the Under 14's tournament here at Wimbledon and since it is in the Round Robin style of play they might play 1 set player to 8 games wins. I remember when I was little playing that way before. I am not certain that is what they are doing here as it might still be the best two out of three, but since it is listed as a Round Robin style tournament that is the first thing that popped into my head about the possible scoring.

by Deuce A few years ago, I was playing a 16 or 17 year old kid in a tournament. The score was even, or close to it, when I checked the height of the net (because it seemed too high to me, as I hit pretty flat balls that usually clear the net by less than a foot - plus I've been playing the game for a long time, so I'm quite aware of the proper height of the net).
The net was found to be about an inch and a half too high, so they adjusted it to the proper height. The kid's (my opponent's) father got up and started yelling that I was a cheater, I had no right to have the net adjusted (to the PROPER height!), I'm trying to gain an unfair advantage, etc. And he went on and on about it.
And this is in mild mannered CANADA!

I didn't respond to the jerk at all. But the kid I was playing was hugely affected by his father's antics. At one point, when he was slightly ahead in the match, the kid stopped playing, went toward his chair, put his racquet in his bag, and was quitting - because he was so embarrassed about his father's behaviour. The kid was crying, for god's sake.
When I saw what the kid was doing, I went right over to him and said "You're not quitting this match. I'm not going to let you quit. Look, I'm the one who is expected to win this match. But you're beating me right now. Finish it off. Beat me. You're playing well enough to win this match. What your father is doing doesn't matter. Ignore him completely now. When you get home, tell him that you don't want him to come to your matches if he's going to behave like that. But for now, ignore him and concentrate on beating me."
Then I smiled and said "But I'm going to make you earn it!"

He continued playing. And in the end, he beat me. And he thanked me after the match for not allowing him to quit.

by ponchi101 About Maria. It seems to me she is one of those players that slowly brings your game down. All the slice, the tricks, the "junk". She makes you hit so many shots that are unusual, that you can't hit your real shot.
A peculiar "winning ugly".
But she is in the Wimbledon semis. So it works, at least a little bit.

by Suliso Here we go...

by Cuckoo4Coco Maria is trying her hardest to make this 3rd set close. It looks like though that Ons is about to roll ons (on) into the final.

Also it looks like I am gonna miss the Halep and Rybakina match due to my own practice. Sometimes ya just have to sacrifice. :)

by Cuckoo4Coco Ons We Go

by meganfernandez
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:12 pm Maria is trying her hardest to make this 3rd set close. It looks like though that Ons is about to roll ons (on) into the final.

Also it looks like I am gonna miss the Halep and Rybakina match due to my own practice. Sometimes ya just have to sacrifice. :)
Me, too. Work.

by ponchi101 6-3, but it was not that close. Rybakina had break points in two more of Halep's service games.
We talk a lot about strategy, about guts, about finesse. There is something to say about power. Especially power that you don't get by training. These people that simply can crush the ball and keep it in.

by Suliso Usually Rybakina can't keep it in consistently, but I guess today she can.

by Suliso Six double faults by Halep can't be helping either.

by ponchi101 No sooner I said that she went on and lost serve on four straight UE's that sailed long by a lot. But she seems to have regained the control, and is back on top.
I am also surprised because she is using a Yonex, not famous for power. Yet, the serve is flying, and the BH is also cruising.
One more thing: some pretty bad volleying in both matches. Some easy ones that have been pushed in all directions, by Maria, Jabeur and Rybakina. Halep has not missed many of those.

by the Moz Simona dismissed 3&3. Well done Rybakina!

by jazzyg Not surprised that Halep lost to Rybakina, whose form entering the match was better than the 12 players Halep had beaten in succession at Wimbledon.

But I'm shocked she double faulted nine times, with most of them ugly and into the middle of the net. No explanation for that.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:58 pm One more thing: some pretty bad volleying in both matches. Some easy ones that have been pushed in all directions, by Maria, Jabeur and Rybakina. Halep has not missed many of those.
Did you see Jabeur's backward-facing slice passing shot, though? From the baseline, she passed Maria with a low, short-angle squash shot that she hit with her back to the net. Not a volley but some sweet finesse.

Incredible from Rybakina. Your "other" pick is still alive, and so is mine (Jabeur).

by jazzyg Rybakina played well, but this was about Halep's disastrous serves. She had served better than at any time in her career all tournament until today. I guess this was the evening-out moment.

by ponchi101 And it was not that close.
One streak continues. 8th year in a row that we will have a new Slam winner, in the WTA.
Power wise, Jabeur cannot compete with Rybakina. Touch and deftness goes to Ons. It might be a very good final, if they both play at a high level.
But: Elena could blow Ons off court. Ons can't blow Elena off.

by JazzNU How's that ban working Wimbledon? This seemed like it was destined to happen after Rybakina got through her 4th round.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:11 pm And it was not that close.
One streak continues. 8th year in a row that we will have a new Slam winner, in the WTA.
Power wise, Jabeur cannot compete with Rybakina. Touch and deftness goes to Ons. It might be a very good final, if they both play at a high level.
But: Elena could blow Ons off court. Ons can't blow Elena off.
Ons leads the H2H 2-1, but Rybakina retired in their last match. The two completed matches were three sets, with a tiebreak set in each.

by ponchi101
meganfernandez wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:11 pm ...

Did you see Jabeur's backward-facing slice passing shot, though? From the baseline, she passed Maria with a low, short-angle squash shot that she hit with her back to the net. Not a volley but some sweet finesse.

Incredible from Rybakina. Your "other" pick is still alive, and so is mine (Jabeur).
Oh, sure. In a Jabeur match, she will produce several shots that are wizardly. But overall, there were some ugly volleys. Maria tried one drop volley that did not even get to the net.

More weird stats: Progress of the WTA. 20 years ago, a Tunisian/Kazak final was unthinkable (and yes, I said Rybakina is Kazak only by passport). Today, the four SF players were Tunisian, Kazak, Romanian and German.

by nelslus MEANWHILE, Rajeev and Joe had 5-6 match points in the 3rd set tiebreaker SF- some while serving. Not sure either one of them got one first serve in- and this also included a Joe double fault. They, of course, have now lost in 5. VERY ironically, they saved numerous match points against the same team during last year's US Open. Since then, this team has made Rajeev and Joe pay- they also beat Rajeev and Joe at this year's Aussie Open.

Seriously- sometimes- I truly hate this sport.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:16 pm More weird stats: Progress of the WTA. 20 years ago, a Tunisian/Kazak final was unthinkable (and yes, I said Rybakina is Kazak only by passport). Today, the four SF players were Tunisian, Kazak, Romanian and German.
Love this! So diverse. The eight semifinalists represent eight countries on four continents.

by meganfernandez
nelslus wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:33 pm MEANWHILE, Rajeev and Joe had 5-6 match points in the 3rd set tiebreaker SF- some while serving. Not sure either one of them got one first serve in- and this also included a Joe double fault. They, of course, have now lost in 5. VERY ironically, they saved numerous match points against the same team during last year's US Open. Since then, this team has made Rajeev and Joe pay- they also beat Rajeev and Joe at this year's Aussie Open.

Seriously- sometimes- I truly hate this sport.
Ouch. I still remember when they had 8 or 9 match points in the ATP Finals semi a couple years ago. I think they were up 9-1 in the match tiebreak and managed to lose it.

by ponchi101 About that doubles. I said it a while back. It has got to be the sole sport in which you only need to win ONE MORE POINT, and then, a considerable time later, and after actually having won MANY, MANY points, you still lost the match.

by Cuckoo4Coco I didn't get to see the Halep/Rybakina match, but glanced at the stats from it when I got back from practice and the things that really stood out for me was the poor serving from Halep and the limit that Elena had with unforced errors in the match. That must have been the success for Elena.

I think if Elena can have that sort of formula against Ons in the final she is gonna win it all. My vote is for Elena now mostly because I want to hear her little kid squeaky voice doing the speech when she wins. :lol:

by ponchi101 From the who moves better: Rybakina actually ran a bit more (1750 Mts / 1720). That I find a bit odd.
Or maybe: Rybakina left Simona flat on several occasions (she did), while SImona seldom did.

by Irena2 Oh, no! So sad for Rafa.

by meganfernandez
Irena2 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:26 pm Oh, no! So sad for Rafa.
Oh, god. That's awful. It must be serious to withdraw from a semi. Maybe won't see him again this year except Laver? Kinda wish he had stopped yesterday and let Fritz play on, but that's not how it works.

I don't think I can watch the final. I won't watch Nick's circuses anymore. Haven't seen any of his matches or interviews.

by ti-amie
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:11 am I thought about the Under 14's tournament here at Wimbledon and since it is in the Round Robin style of play they might play 1 set player to 8 games wins. I remember when I was little playing that way before. I am not certain that is what they are doing here as it might still be the best two out of three, but since it is listed as a Round Robin style tournament that is the first thing that popped into my head about the possible scoring.
Thanks C4C. That makes sense.

by Cuckoo4Coco
ti-amie wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:41 pm
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:11 am I thought about the Under 14's tournament here at Wimbledon and since it is in the Round Robin style of play they might play 1 set player to 8 games wins. I remember when I was little playing that way before. I am not certain that is what they are doing here as it might still be the best two out of three, but since it is listed as a Round Robin style tournament that is the first thing that popped into my head about the possible scoring.
Thanks C4C. That makes sense.
It might make sense, but it is not correct. I am watching some of the matches today and they are playing the regular 2 out of 3 sets.

by ti-amie I saw a bit of the first set of Halep vs Rybakina. To say Halep was flat is putting it mildly. She almost looked disinterested in the match and her play. She peaked yesterday and as someone here said it would be she hadn't recouped enough to play a solid match today.

Ironic isn't it that Rybakina, born in Moscow (and still living there), now playing for Kazakhstan, is in the final and has a chance at lifting the Venus Rosewater plate.

by ponchi101 Oh, and she still lives in Moscow?
I mean: are all Russian players contacting the Kazak Tennis Federation for papers?

by Cuckoo4Coco Think about the big possibility of a player who lives in Russia winning this with the ban and the points not given. That would look pretty foolish on Wimbledon if it happens.

by mmmm8 The second layer of irony here is that Kazakhstan is a dictatorship that in January squashed pro-democracy protests with the help of the Russian military.

by ponchi101
mmmm8 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:37 pm The second layer of irony here is that Kazakhstan is a dictatorship that in January squashed pro-democracy protests with the help of the Russian military.
:slaptothefaceemojithatwedon'thave:

by nelslus
meganfernandez wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:04 pmOuch. I still remember when they had 8 or 9 match points in the ATP Finals semi a couple years ago. I think they were up 9-1 in the match tiebreak and managed to lose it.
LOL, happily, I don't recall this match. BUT- Joe and Rajeev also blew numerous match points in this year's French QF. A very, very bad habit that the other doubles teams will be fully aware.

Having said that, they wouldn't have won the US Open doubles last year if they hadn't saved multiple match points during the QF. So, you live by the sword....

IN any case, sadly, I could see this team now breaking up any time this year. They are just blowing way too many opportunities. And, I am sure that there would be a huge bidding war to get Joe as your doubles partner. Grandpa Rajeev, my favorite, could certainly also get a very good partner. But, Joe, obviously, has youth on his side.

by nelslus Condolences, Rafa fans- horrible news.

However, truly, I am very glad that he has made this sane choice. Unlike some in here, I am very much not on board with players always completing matches, regardless of injury or illness. Venus played through her abdominal injury during one of their Wimbledon finals against Serena- and she managed to first beat Kim, and, sure, she played some great tennis in the final. AND then she had to be off the tour for quite a long time.

IMO, Leylah should have quit her match at the French, and Rafa- incredible effort to win and all- should have quit his match with Fritz. I mean, when your family is telling you to quit....Leylah at least, obviously, has youth on her side. Rafa took huge risks to win this match- and this could have serious implications for the rest of his career, or at least this year. (AND, when Rafa wins this year's US Open, and a bunch more Slam titles, you all can most assuredly remind me how wrong I was.)

The older players also have to take into account their upcoming quality of life. Tiger's gonna be dealing with a ton of hurt for the rest of his life- and, I'd hate for this to happen to Rafa, Roger, and even Novak.

by ponchi101 Yes, but Tiger smashed his car at 90MPH against a tree. There are different injuries there.
If Rafa had not had this mentality of not quit ever, or until it was really beyond the scale, he would have not been the same player. Not quitting a match, a game, a point. Who knows how many matches he won just because of that, and how many opponents went out there knowing they did not have a chance, with Rafa winning the match in the locker room.

by jazzyg Yeah, I don't have a problem with Rafa continuing yesterday. He is the ultimate competitor, and if I were Taylor Fritz, I would not have wanted to advance by retirement. Fritz had his chance and couldn't get it done. I have a feeling Nadal would have been out for the same amount of time if he had retired in the second set.

by nelslus
ponchi101 wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:35 amYes, but Tiger smashed his car at 90MPH against a tree. There are different injuries there.
If Rafa had not had this mentality of not quit ever, or until it was really beyond the scale, he would have not been the same player. Not quitting a match, a game, a point. Who knows how many matches he won just because of that, and how many opponents went out there knowing they did not have a chance, with Rafa winning the match in the locker room.
Tiger also ruined his body from all of his masochistic work-out insanities (that would have been enough for many of his problems), in addition to the inebriated car crashes and all that- AND he's still playing?

Of course, Roger, Rafa and Novak won a lot of matches in the locker room, and wanted to keep that benefit for as long as possible- which does mean, hanging in there. Plus, they just have been superior players.

But, like has happened with football players (YES, of course, a different sport)- I don't want tennis players to have to go through the rest of their lives hobbled and/or in pain. So, I remain genuinely appreciative that Rafa is making the wise choice here (like Roger being out for so long- albeit, I'd just as soon Roger doesn't try to come back. Don't want to see him as a non-contender.)

by nelslus
jazzyg wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:54 amI have a feeling Nadal would have been out for the same amount of time if he had retired in the second set.
Could be- we shall have to see. It is also possible that Rafa is gonna get some rude awakenings here. I think Roger hadn't planned to be out for so long. I again use the example of Venus- finishing off Kim and then playing Serena, and then having to be out a long time. And, Venus was a lot younger than Rafa is now. Of course, it could be that the tear Rafa has isn't anywhere near as bad. Still, IMO he took a huge risk here with the Fritz match- especially now that he has stated that this had started being an issue for the past week, if I am remembering what he said correctly. I'm very glad he's not trying to play 1-2 more matches.

by Deuce As for Halep... As I mentioned yesterday, the mental part of her game is her weak point - by far.
It's somewhat odd, though - because she is definitely a fighter... we saw yesterday how much she fought for points. So she definitely possesses a high degree of determination. But she gets down on herself very easily and quickly, and sort of punishes herself (yells at herself, and even hits herself rather frequently). I feel that this is her undoing. While some players use anger to kick themselves in the butt and motivate themselves, in Halep's case, her anger certainly seems to have a negative effect on her.
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:11 pm Elena could blow Ons off court. Ons can't blow Elena off.
^ But she could carve Elena up...

by ponchi101
nelslus wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:10 am ...

Could be- we shall have to see. It is also possible that Rafa is gonna get some rude awakenings here. I think Roger hadn't planned to be out for so long. I again use the example of Venus- finishing off Kim and then playing Serena, and then having to be out a long time. And, Venus was a lot younger than Rafa is now. Of course, it could be that the tear Rafa has isn't anywhere near as bad. Still, IMO he took a huge risk here with the Fritz match- especially now that he has stated that this had started being an issue for the past week, if I am remembering what he said correctly. I'm very glad he's not trying to play 1-2 more matches.
A 7mm tear, on soft tissue, should heal in time for him to play part of the N. American circuit and be ready for the USO.
But, with Rafa, who knows. So far this year: the congenital foot problems, a broken rib, and an abs tear. With him, you really have to start wondering what else can happen. A torn ear ligament, incontrollable eyelid hiccups (when serving), (even more) accelerated alopecia. He has got to be one of the most extreme cases of extreme conditions: one of the strongest bodies ever, and one of the most fragile.