'22 Wimbledon Day 14 OoP & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
dryrunguy

Re: '22 Wimbledon Day 14 OoP & Discussion

Post by dryrunguy »

The quality of the tennis was quite high until the tiebreak. Last I saw the match stats, both guys had double the winners or better compared to UEs. You don't see THAT every day, for sure.
jazzyg United States of America

Post by jazzyg »

I had a flight I purposely set up for 3 so I could watch the final. Then it got canceled and changed to the morning, so I did not get to watch it. Can't wait to see how Kyrgios lost serve in the 3rd set after being up 40-0.

About a year ago the ATP website ran a story on how rare it was for the top players to lose serve in that spot, and Kyrgios on grass would seem to make those odds astronomical.
meganfernandez United States of America

'22 Wimbledon Day 14 OoP & Discussion

Post by meganfernandez »

jazzyg wrote:Can't wait to see how Kyrgios lost serve in the 3rd set after being up 40-0.
Pressure. His family and friends, obviously. They didn't cheer enough on the right points.

I saw the first 2.5 sets and was surprised Kyrgios isn’t more aggressive with his ground strokes. He was trying to trade backhands with Djokovic like he’s in that league. Holding way back on his FH. He wasn’t going to win many of those long rallies.

It was high quality, but low on the Kyrgios entertainment value for me. He talks up his showmanship but he was sort of boring for most of the match. The incessant whinging isn’t showmanship.
Last edited by meganfernandez on Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cuckoo4Coco United States of America

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:15 pm He ties Pete, and is only one behind Roger.
Congrats to Nole and his fans. 4 in a row, with no one around that seems unable to challenge him.
And Nick. There are no more excuses. He is one of the preternatural talents in the sport, and now it is time to put his head down. He will never play RG, but the other three slams are possible. If he can dedicate himself to the sport.
I also agree that Nick's head is what he really has to somehow start to handle better and he will really become a challenge for any opponent at the Australian Open, Wimbledon, and the US Open.

Post by meganfernandez »

Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:01 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:15 pm He ties Pete, and is only one behind Roger.
Congrats to Nole and his fans. 4 in a row, with no one around that seems unable to challenge him.
And Nick. There are no more excuses. He is one of the preternatural talents in the sport, and now it is time to put his head down. He will never play RG, but the other three slams are possible. If he can dedicate himself to the sport.
I also agree that Nick's head is what he really has to somehow start to handle better and he will really become a challenge for any opponent at the Australian Open, Wimbledon, and the US Open.
He also has to stay fit. He's fairly fit right now but let's see if he commits to fitness.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Part of what I say that he has to commit. There are no more excuses.
At the very minimum, ok: you can't beat the big two (which is false; he can). But he has to insert himself in the conversation with Daniil, Zverev and Stefanos. He has the talent.
Then again: this is a ONE SAMPLE analysis. He did well here at W, but has done very little elsewhere (and off grass). So, maybe, just maybe, we are going by LAST AVAILABLE DATA biases. Maybe he is ranked where he should be ranked.
I don't think so, but that ranking might be accurate.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:39 pm Part of what I say that he has to commit. There are no more excuses.
At the very minimum, ok: you can't beat the big two (which is false; he can). But he has to insert himself in the conversation with Daniil, Zverev and Stefanos. He has the talent.
Then again: this is a ONE SAMPLE analysis. He did well here at W, but has done very little elsewhere (and off grass). So, maybe, just maybe, we are going by LAST AVAILABLE DATA biases. Maybe he is ranked where he should be ranked.
I don't think so, but that ranking might be accurate.
Sue Barker asked Nick if this result made him hungry for more, and he said, "Absolutely not. I'm so tired. Me and my team, we're all exhausted. We played so much tennis." He was smiling and somewhat joking, but now he knows what it takes and he might be discouraged. We'll see.

Djokovic was funny about his and Nick's relationship now in his speech. Fun stuff. We also got a trip down memory lane to the Serbian mountaintop restaurant his parents owned. Been a while since we heard about that place.

And Djokovic's son wasn't at the trophy ceremony because he was playing a set against Bob Bryan's son!
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

meganfernandez wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:56 pm ...

Sue Barker asked Nick if this result made him hungry for more, and he said, "Absolutely not. I'm so tired. Me and my team, we're all exhausted. We played so much tennis." He was smiling and somewhat joking, but now he knows what it takes and he might be discouraged. We'll see.

Djokovic was funny about his and Nick's relationship now in his speech. Fun stuff. We also got a trip down memory lane to the Serbian mountaintop restaurant his parents owned. Been a while since we heard about that place.

And Djokovic's son wasn't at the trophy ceremony because he was playing a set against Bob Bryan's son!
That is so sad. I have never heard of anybody saying that after losing a slam final.
I remember when Pete lost to Edberg at the 92 USO final. Years later, he said that that was the match that made him a champion. That losing that match felt so bad he swore never again to lose another final.
Sure, he did. But he was 14-4 in GS finals, so he really tried to never again lose one.
The antithesis of Kyrgios.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

I can't believe that the Wimbledon tournament is over and the next Grand Slam event will start only 3 days before I start back to school.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Time to start adding a third hour of training a day, then ;)

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:41 pm Time to start adding a third hour of training a day, then ;)
I don't know if mom will approve of that with homework and everything. :D During school my tennis time actually goes down. I do still practice on the weekends though a bit more. Mom and my coach always says school comes first.

Post by meganfernandez »

Cuckoo4Coco wrote:I can't believe that the Wimbledon tournament is over and the next Grand Slam event will start only 3 days before I start back to school.
Lots of good tennis before the U.S. Open! We’ll still be here. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
New England Nitemare United States of America

Post by New England Nitemare »

meganfernandez wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:32 am
Lots of good tennis before the U.S. Open! We’ll still be here. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Absolutely Megan. The US Open Series should be good this season!! Can't wait.