by ashkor87 It is, of course, early days yet - no hard court tournaments yet in the second swing.. but we have had one earlier, totally dominated by Swiatek..
and, of course, every hard court is different - they can change the speed of the court by changing the granularity of the surface.

So, until we see how the courts are really playing at Flushing Meadow, it will be difficult to say anything.. but certainly I, for one, place little stock in the tournaments leading up to it - they are all slightly different from the USO especially in speed, and at this level, even a 5% change can be decisive..

with all these caveats then, I would say:

On the Men:

#1 Medvedev - clearly the best hard-courter in the world, defending champion, and Djokovic will probabaly not be there
#2 Sinner - the faster the court, the better he likes it, and he showed us at Wimbledon what he is capable of
# 3 Nadal - if he plays, which, to my mind, is unlikely - hard courts are hardest on his feet and he is about to become a father
# 4 - Kyrgios - he seems ready to play, and his big serve will be lethal here also
# 5 - Alcaraz - he will be able to hit his shots on the high-bouncing surface, no problem..his speed around the court will win him matches

On the Women:

#1 - Swiatek - simpy the best player in the world, totally dominated the hard courts in the first half, will be able to hit her spin
#2 - Osaka - showed us at Miami that she is getting there, and she is a 4-time major champion on hard courts.
#3 - Leylah Fernandez - very impressive at RG, beat Anisimova, for instance, which she had no business doing, on a clay court, if the court is fast like last year, I would make her #1, her reflexes and service return are out of this world.
#4 - Andreescu - her game is getting there and she was the Queen of hard courts before Osaka and Swiatek came along
#5 - Raducanu - if the court is fast, like last year, I would move her to second favorite behind Leylah..
# 6 - Rybakina - she seems a bit slow on her feet, to me,takes a split-second to adjust, especially to low balls.. but, of course, one of my favorite players anyway..

comments?

by Deuce
ashkor87 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:28 am
#5 - Raducanu - if the court is fast, like last year, I would move her to second favorite behind Leylah..

comments?

^ Wow.

Has Emma been playing and winning secret tournaments that the rest of us don't know about?
She has done absolutely nothing of any positive significance since last year's U.S. Open, which was almost one year ago.
Prior to that, the only thing she had done of any meaning was to win a few rounds at Wimbledon, before becoming too overwhelmed at her circumstance to continue.

I entirely fail to understand how anyone can pick her as any degree of favourite at any tournament - let alone at a Major. Unless that person knows something that no-one else knows about her.

I won't ask you what she has done in the past 11 months to make you believe she is a favourite to win the U.S. Open, because I've asked you that same question a few times before when you've picked her to win or to do very well at other tournaments, and I don't recall getting a practical answer other than that you see potential in her.

Sorry, but based on her results, I just continue to shake my head at your extremely high current opinion of Raducanu, which I feel has, at best, a very, very, very shaky foundation.

(And, as much as I like Leylah, I don't see her as a favourite to win it, either.)

by ashkor87
Deuce wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 5:42 am
ashkor87 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:28 am

comments?

^ Wow.

Has Emma been playing and winning secret tournaments that the rest of us don't know about?
She has done absolutely nothing of any positive significance since last year's U.S. Open, which was almost one year ago.
Prior to that, the only thing she had done of any meaning was to win a few rounds at Wimbledon, before becoming too overwhelmed at her circumstance to continue.

I entirely fail to understand how anyone can pick her as any degree of favourite at any tournament - let alone at a Major. Unless that person knows something that no-one else knows about her.

I won't ask you what she has done in the past 11 months to make you believe she is a favourite to win the U.S. Open, because I've asked you that same question a few times before when you've picked her to win or to do very well at other tournaments, and I don't recall getting a practical answer other than that you see potential in her.

Sorry, but based on her results, I just continue to shake my head at your extremely high current opinion of Raducanu, which I feel has, at best, a very, very, very shaky foundation.

(And, as much as I like Leylah, I don't see her as a favourite to win it, either.)
as I said, if the court is fast.. Emma and Leylah will do well again, as they did last year.. if not, not. we shall see..

by Deuce I'm pretty sure that most people who follow tennis closely view last year's U.S. Open as very much an anomaly. Conditions (not the least of which was COVID-19 turning things upside down) came together to produce that result.
No knowledgeable tennis person predicted either Leylah or Emma being noticed in that tournament, let alone playing in the Final. But it happened, due to a 'perfect storm' of circumstances.
Those circumstances are very unlikely to be repeated - ever, let alone again this year.

Will Leylah have a legitimate shot of winning Majors in a few years? Perhaps. She has shown signs of a promising potential over a fairly lengthy period of time (much more than Emma has).
But only time will tell. And that time, in my opinion, is not within the near future for either Leylah or Emma.

by Cuckoo4Coco No Coco Gauff?

I really like the game of Sinner to do well at the US Open. Alcaraz is also a guy I can easily see going very far here. I however think Medvedev is the favorite to win it.

I like Coco Gauff if she gets on a roll and out of the first few rounds. The crowd will definitely be behind her. Osaka has to be in the conservation. If she is there mentally then she could win it all for sure. Certainly I think Iga has a much better chance of winning here at the US Open than at Wimbledon. Leylah & Emma definitely can put together a string of wins on this surface.

My early predictions:

Men's: Sinner over Alcaraz in 5 sets
Women's : Leylah over Gauff in 3 sets

by ashkor87 A brave prediction..could happen, though I don't think Coco is there yet..still too many flaws in her game which a good player can exploit..
And, if course depends on the draw! Coco and leylah could meet in the quarters, for instance

by Cuckoo4Coco
ashkor87 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:13 pm A brave prediction..could happen, though I don't think Coco is there yet..still too many flaws in her game which a good player can exploit..
And, if course depends on the draw! Coco and leylah could meet in the quarters, for instance
Too early to really know the draw so I really don't know how that will play out yet, but I got to hope Coco plays into it somehow. Look at Coco and the way things played out for her at the French Open before coming up against Iga.

by meganfernandez
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:47 pm
ashkor87 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:13 pm A brave prediction..could happen, though I don't think Coco is there yet..still too many flaws in her game which a good player can exploit..
Too early to really know the draw so I really don't know how that will play out yet, but I got to hope Coco plays into it somehow. Look at Coco and the way things played out for her at the French Open before coming up against Iga.
love the bold predictions. I'm curious to see how Sabalenka does. She has had good results at the US Open - even the fourth round she lost to Osaka in 2018 was super close and the match of the tournament. And of course, she should have won the title last year. We'll see if she can find her form in the hard-court events before the Open, after month layoff.

Kerber is another person to watch. She's been playing well, was another of Leylah's victims last year in an incredible match.

Can't wait, the US Open should be amazing. Better than Wimbledon. Something about Wimbledon felt a little flat to me.

On the men's side, agree about Medvedev. And Sinner and Alcaraz could pose some serious challenges. I'm rooting for Thiem to make a dent. Murray will be interesting - I know people say he can't win more than a few best-of-5 matches, especially if he is pushed to 5 early in the tournament, but I think he can. Lots of other contenders - Botic, Nadal, Rublev back, Tsitsipas looking for a good result, Fritz to follow up on Wimbledon with a home crowd, Nakashima, Kyrgios... Tons of storylines that we didn't have at Wimbledon.

by Cuckoo4Coco
meganfernandez wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:17 pm
love the bold predictions. I'm curious to see how Sabalenka does. She has had good results at the US Open - even the fourth round she lost to Osaka in 2018 was super close and the match of the tournament. And of course, she should have won the title last year. We'll see if she can find her form in the hard-court events before the Open, after month layoff.
I just love the young players. Even on the guys side with Sinner and Alcaraz. Sinner being the only one that is 20. The rest that I picked between the men's and women's are all teenagers. :lol:

by meganfernandez
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:20 pm

I just love the young players. Even on the guys side with Sinner and Alcaraz. Sinner being the only one that is 20. The rest that I picked between the men's and women's are all teenagers. :lol:
I don't blame you! I loved Capriati, Hingis and Chang when they broke out as teenagers and I was in my teens and early 20s. It's cool to see people in your own generation doing so well. I forget that Sinner is so young still.

by Cuckoo4Coco
meganfernandez wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:22 pm
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:20 pm

I don't blame you! I loved Capriati, Hingis and Chang when they broke out as teenagers and I was in my teens and early 20s. It's cool to see people in your own generation doing so well. I forget that Sinner is so young still.
I don't know much about Michael Chang(except the video you shared about him) and Capriati I know of her name and the huge promise that she had that never really came to be. Martina Hingis I do know of as she became a huge champion. She was also at the Wimbledon Centre Court celebration. I was also surprised when I looked up Jennifer Capriati and saw that she won 3 grand slams.

by ponchi101 Uhm, Ashkor. Disagree on a lot.
1. Emma. I am sorry, but it has not been one or two bad showings. It has been bad showings, injuries galore, a merry-go-round of coaches. You tell me right now, 1R loss or SF's or better, and I say 1R. She has not shown any consistency.
2. Rafa. Novak pulled back within 1 again, and Rafa has a good chance of ending the year as #1. They all say they don't care about that, and that is a lie. Rafa and Novak are clearly driving each other more and more. About to be a father? I think the baby is due after the Open. Plenty of time to order those diapers over Amazon. Problem #1 is: what will be this season's injury (he seems to get one per playing season)? I say he plays, and has a very good chance because I say...
3. Medvedev. He won two sets at the Aussie final and since then, not a whole lot. Reached two finals on grass where he was beaten soundly, and his hard court season was interrupted. I agree, he loves this court, but I don't know if he reaches a second final against Rafa, on an outdoor court, and if he can pull that one out. Sure, #1 favorite, but by a whisker.
4. Carlitos. Nothing but upswing. The serve is getting better, the FH is a sledgehammer, his physical conditioning is reaching "peak Nadal". If he lift that trophy, not the slightest surprise.
5. Coco. Have to join C4C here. RG finalist, loves hard courts, did well at W (yes, I know, got creamed in her last two sets, but that was not a bad run), will have everybody backing her. Has to be in the conversation.
6. Naomi. Injuries, mental health, a low ranking. She has become a player with lots of problems to deal with. She gets her game back? I don't see her losing. But that is a big if.
7. Iga. Streak is over. Let's start another one.
8. Leylah, Aryna, Rybakina, OTHER. All in the mix. I know, Iga will be the favorite. But no way I put her at over 33%. OTHER is just too strong nowadays.

by Cuckoo4Coco On the men's side I don't think you can count out Medvedev especially with Novak most likely out and Rafa up in the air with the abs injury. That is why I really think some of these younger players on the men's side like Sinner and Alcaraz are going to shine at the US Open. I really think Sinner might win the whole thing.

On the women's side I expect like usual there will be a bunch of upsets in the early rounds messing with the draw and a few players will really end up benefiting from that happening. Hopefully one of those players is Coco Gauff and possibly Leylah Fernandez. If they meet in the final that would be my dream match up. I think Leylah with the experience(that 19 year old experience) would come out on top.

by meganfernandez
Cuckoo4Coco wrote:
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:20 pm I just love the young players. Even on the guys side with Sinner and Alcaraz. Sinner being the only one that is 20. The rest that I picked between the men's and women's are all teenagers. :lol:
I don't know much about Michael Chang(except the video you shared about him) and Capriati I know of her name and the huge promise that she had that never really came to be. Martina Hingis I do know of as she became a huge champion. She was also at the Wimbledon Centre Court celebration. I was also surprised when I looked up Jennifer Capriati and saw that she won 3 grand slams.
Look up Tracy Austin. One of the great teenage tennis stories!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Cuckoo4Coco
meganfernandez wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:12 pm
Cuckoo4Coco wrote:

Look up Tracy Austin. One of the great teenage tennis stories!

Thanx, I sure will. I know her name and I have seen her doing interviews and stuff like that before.

by ashkor87
ponchi101 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:58 pm Uhm, Ashkor. Disagree on a lot.
1. Emma. I am sorry, but it has not been one or two bad showings. It has been bad showings, injuries galore, aa merry-go-round of coaches. You tell me right now, 1R loss or SF's or better, and I say 1R. She has not shown any consistency.
2. Rafa. Novak pulled back within 1 again, and Rafa has a good chance of ending the year as #1. They all say they don't care about that, and that is a lie. Rafa and Novak are clearly driving each other more and more. About to be a father? I think the baby is due after the Open. Plenty of time to order those diapers over Amazon. Problem #1 is: what will be this season's injury (he seems to get one per playing season)? I say he plays, and has a very good chance because I say...
3. Medvedev. He won two sets at the Aussie final and since then, not a whole lot. Reached two finals on grass where he was beaten soundly, and his hard court season was interrupted. I agree, he loves this court, but I don't know if he reaches a second final against Rafa, on an outdoor court, and if he can pull that one out. Sure, #1 favorite, but by a whisker.
4. Carlitos. Nothing but upswing. The serve is getting better, the FH is a sledgehammer, his physical conditioning is reaching "peak Nadal". If he lift that trophy, not the slightest surprise.
5. Coco. Have to join C4C here. RG finalist, loves hard courts, did well at W (yes, I know, got creamed in her last two sets, but that was not a bad run), will have everybody backing her. Has to be in the conversation.
6. Naomi. Injuries, mental health, a low ranking. She has become a player with lots of problems to deal with. She gets her game back? I don't see her losing. But that is a big if.
8. Leylah, Aryna, Rybakina, OTHER. All in the mix. I know, Iga will be the favorite. But no way I put her at over 33%. OTHER is just too strong nowadays.
Nice to have so much disagreement! I still stand by my ranking, of course, though I agree Raducanu is shaky....agree, though, that Alcaraz winning will not be a surprise..none of those 5 winning will surprise me, actually. But Alcaraz, like all young players, is getting better with every outing . ,(like Secretariat!,)..discount W because Alcaraz had no experience on grass and even his coach was not much good on it!

by Cuckoo4Coco
ashkor87 wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 1:14 am
1. Emma. I am sorry, but it has not been one or two bad showings. It has been bad showings, injuries galore, aa merry-go-round of coaches. You tell me right now, 1R loss or SF's or better, and I say 1R. She has not shown any consistency.
Nice to have so much disagreement! I still stand by my ranking, of course, though I agree Raducanu is shaky....agree, though, that Alcaraz winning will not be a surprise..none of those 5 winning will surprise me, actually. But Alcaraz, like all young players, is getting better with every outing . ,(like Secretariat!,)
I agree with your Alcaraz pick, but wonder what you think on Jannick Sinner who is another young player who seems in that mold where every match he goes out to play he is getting better and better. Do you see him going far in the US Open?

by ashkor87
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 1:19 am
ashkor87 wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 1:14 am
Nice to have so much disagreement! I still stand by my ranking, of course, though I agree Raducanu is shaky....agree, though, that Alcaraz winning will not be a surprise..none of those 5 winning will surprise me, actually. But Alcaraz, like all young players, is getting better with every outing . ,(like Secretariat!,)
I agree with your Alcaraz pick, but wonder what you think on Jannick Sinner who is another young player who seems in that mold where every match he goes out to play he is getting better and better. Do you see him going far in the US Open?
Yes, Sinner is #2 on my list, above Alcaraz

by ashkor87 I have stopped buying Sabalenka stock...she may not have got her rhythm back after covid .some people never do...of the power hitters, I would want to keep an eye on Alexandrova and Samsonova...not Saba..also let us not forget Kudermetova..she was on the upswing before Wimbledon..another young player improving every day, like Rybakina

by ponchi101 Coming back to the women:
It is basically who CANNOT win it. That list is shorter. Of the top 20:
Mugu. She is nowhere near any form to win this, and this is her worst slam.
Pliskova. The train left.
Krejcikova. As you say, I think she has some C19 lingering effects. If she cannot win on clay, she can't win here.
Vika. A bit old by now.
Below the top 20, possible winners (down to 40):
Anisimova, Rybakina, Keys (she has the game, still), Alexandrova, Shaui Zhang and, although I discounted her, I know I am alone here, Naomi. At least 20 players that can. And remember: for the last couple of years, we have had at least two new slam winners per year. I am still sticking to OTHER.
---0---
Sinner: I don't know what he will remember: those first two sets of Wimbledon, or the last three. That may play in his mind for a while.

by ti-amie I think Sinner needs a very good draw to go deep. I'm not convinced about him yet.

Carlitos can if he gets a decent draw too. For both him and Sinner the top or bottom half of the draw will be crucial for their success. I don't know if anyone else saw it but after his first match at Wimby he took his sleeve off and that elbow is layered in kinesio tape. He never took it off again.

As for the women it depends on who is left standing in Week 2.

by Cuckoo4Coco
ti-amie wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:59 am I think Sinner needs a very good draw to go deep. I'm not convinced about him yet.

Carlitos can if he gets a decent draw too. For both him and Sinner the top or bottom half of the draw will be crucial for their success. I don't know if anyone else saw it but after his first match at Wimby he took his sleeve off and that elbow is layered in kinesio tape. He never took it off again.

As for the women it depends on who is left standing in Week 2.
You are correct. It all depends on how the draw falls. With Novak being out of the tournament and Rafa at least not being 100% and not really knowing what to expect from the injury of Zverev injury. That leaves the men's draw a little more wide open than usual with Medvedev at the top and players like Tsitsipas sitting there ready to pounce. Then there are the guys like Rublev, Sinner, Alcaraz, Ruud, FAA, and even Taylor Fritz maybe sitting there and hoping for the draw to work out for them.

As for the ladies you never know what is going to happen. Iga has to be the favorite going in and Naomi really has to be in the conversation. The rest is up to how many upsets happen and you know they will happen.

by ponchi101 Remember that the title of this TOPIC is "AN EARLY LOOK" ;) We still have not played a single summer tour match (the big guys).
Rafa will be fine. If he was able to play RG with that foot injury, that abs injury will heal by then.
We have to see how well Medvedev will look.
Rublev likes hard courts. So do Hurkacz, Sinner, Norrie, Barrettini and Fritz.
I really, really am starting to think that Rafa's injury will be of profit, as he will play, at most, one tournament prior to the Open. He will be fresh.

by Cuckoo4Coco Rafa and RG. I think Rafa could play RG with a broken arm and just go out and rub some of that clay dirt on it and be magically healed and win the tournament. :lol:

Other tournaments he has a little more trouble when he is not 100% , but he still does seem to reach down to somewhere and pull some magic out. I am not going to say he will be 100% , but he will be Rafa% and that is good enough to go deep into the tournament at the US Open.

Medvedev is the key here. If he is on his game he will win the tournament. If he is not then it is opened for the likes of a Sinner or an Alcaraz or someone else. I really think it would be great if Taylor Fritz does really well at the US Open.

by ponchi101
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:16 pm Rafa and RG. I think Rafa could play RG with a broken arm and just go out and rub some of that clay dirt on it and be magically healed and win the tournament. :lol:

His three losses have been due to injury:
2009: Sodelrling. After the match, he took a long time off to deal with his injury.
2015: Injured in the QF (?) against Novak.
2916: WO to Novak. Injured.
2021: Foot injury Vs Novak.

So yes, he needs to be injured to lose there.

by Cuckoo4Coco
ponchi101 wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:25 pm
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:16 pm Rafa and RG. I think Rafa could play RG with a broken arm and just go out and rub some of that clay dirt on it and be magically healed and win the tournament. :lol:

His three losses have been due to injury:
2009: Sodelrling. After the match, he took a long time off to deal with his injury.
2015: Injured in the QF (?) against Novak.
2916: WO to Novak. Injured.
2021: Foot injury Vs Novak.

So yes, he needs to be injured to lose there.
Definitely the best player I have ever seen play on the clay.

by jazzyg Sinner really struggled on hard courts early this year. Only his toughness and will to win carried him through multiple matches when he was down match point, but he did not look good. He's not ready, and his movement is overrated.

Alcaraz is my pick at the moment, but unlike the original post, I very much think play in the lead-up tournaments is relevant. He might not be in my top five by the start of the tournament.

Medvedev, I think, will be scarred for a while by his loss to Nadal in the Aussie Open final. He choked that match away and let the crowd get to him. Rafa was ready to capitulate when he fell down 0-40 on his serve in the third set. realizing it was not his day, and Medvedev threw him a lifeline. Let's see how Medvedev plays in Canada and Cincinnati.

If Nadal is healthy, he is my co-favorite along with Alcaraz, and it does not matter whether he does anything at one of the earlier events. He's the exception.

As for the women, maybe I missed it, but I don't think anyone mentioned Halep at all in this thread. Her worst results have come at the U.S. Open, and she probably is the most vulnerable on hard courts in general, but she's won the third most matches of any WTA player this year and by my count has won 12 tournaments on hard courts in her career. She's not the favorite, but she has to be in the top five.

I'm skeptical about Swiatek holding her form. I just don't think she's as good off of clay as she looked during her torrid streak earlier in the year. How she plays in the lead-ups will determine for me whether or not she's the favorite.

Rybakina figures to struggle after winning her first slam, as almost all players do.

Gauff is a contender because of her desire and speed. but she has too many flaws in her game (forehand technique, second serve at times). Asked about her chances at Wimbledon before her first match, Wozniacki immediately said she was better on slow surfaces than fast surfaces, which is totally true but never spoken by anyone else on ESPN or Tennis Channel.

Andreescu has a shot but is not playing with the confidence she showed in 2019, when it looked like she did not believe she could lose. The injuries and losses since then have affected her.

Again, the next month could change my opinion, but I'd let anyone pick four favorites, and then I'd still take the field against whomever they picked. I can come up with a litany of reasons why everyone in the top 20 will not win, but of course, someone will win.

by ashkor87 Ok, here goes:
Swiatek, Osaka, Leylah, Andreescu
You would take the field?
I didn't take Halep because she is not that good on hard courts and, as we saw at W, she is getting slower and taking longer to recover..she has never even been to the finals of the USO, has she? So she is not in my top 6..
I named 6 precisely because it is a bit early..at least one or two of my six will not even be playing at the USO for one reason or another..
So I stick with 6..anyone want to take the field over the 6?

by ashkor87 History does suggest that one-off champions happen more often at the USO than at Wimbledon..Penetta and Sloane, for instance..though I think Sloane can win again, she is a champion-class player

by ashkor87 I don't agree that Coco is better on slow courts than on fast- her defense is so good, she is so quick, that makes her formidable on fast courts..these attributes are more important on fast courts than slow...not much impressed with Woz' 'expert' comments anyway..remember, she said Osaka would lose in the second round or something at Miami, really motivated Osaka!

Gauff did well at the French because of her draw...

by ponchi101
ashkor87 wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:14 am History does suggest that one-off champions happen more often at the USO than at Wimbledon..Penetta and Sloane, for instance..though I think Sloane can win again, she is a champion-class player
One Slam champions, at Wimby and USO:
Wimbledon:
Conchita, Novotna, Bartoli, Rybakina.
USO:
Sabatini, Stosur, Pennetta, Sloane, Andreescu, Raducanu

But we are talking about this year. And, I will still take OTHER in the USO poll.
Fun, irrelevant fact to take into consideration: last year in which there was a 2 Slam champion (in that same year): 2016.
This year, Barty cannot repeat, you are saying Swiatek is not a prohibitive favorite (and I agree), and I just can't see Rybakina pulling that double. So:
OTHER for the win :)

by Cuckoo4Coco
ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:00 am
ashkor87 wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:14 am History does suggest that one-off champions happen more often at the USO than at Wimbledon..Penetta and Sloane, for instance..though I think Sloane can win again, she is a champion-class player
Wimbledon:
USO:

But we are talking about this year. And, I will still take OTHER in the USO poll.
Fun, irrelevant fact to take into consideration: last year in which there was a 2 Slam champion (in that same year): 2016.
This year, Barty cannot repeat, you are saying Swiatek is not a prohibitive favorite (and I agree), and I just can't see Rybakina pulling that double. So:
If you are saying that Iga is not the favorite in the ladies draw then who do you think is the favorite?

That being asked who would you say would be the favorite on the men's side? Would it be Medvedev?

by ashkor87
ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:00 am
Wimbledon:
USO:

Too early to say Rybakina is a 1-slammer, almost certainly she will win a couple more..true of raducanu and andreescu also, of course

by Deuce
ashkor87 wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:05 am Too early to say Rybakina is a 1-slammer, almost certainly she will win a couple more..true of raducanu and andreescu also, of course
^ Except that Raducanu and Andreescu will never win another Major. :D

by ashkor87
Deuce wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:01 am
ashkor87 wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:05 am Too early to say Rybakina is a 1-slammer, almost certainly she will win a couple more..true of raducanu and andreescu also, of course
^ Except that Raducanu and Andreescu will never win another Major. :D
We shall see...!

by ashkor87 One reason I don't think the tournaments leading up to the USO are worth factoring in, is that the USO conditions, by which I mean mostly speed of the court, were significantly different last year from the other tournaments...was studying the Canadian open, for instance, on YouTube , side by side with the USO. ..the court speed is visibly, paplably different..maybe only 5-10% but at this level, that is enough. .. we already saw at Wimbledon that the tournaments leading up to Wimbledon did not predict Rybakina...

by Cuckoo4Coco Way too early to predict if Emma, Rybakina or Bianca will ever win another tournament. For one they are all very young and still even at where they are all in their games still improving and then you never know how anything will pan out in any Slam. Nobody thought Elena, Emma or Bianca were even going to win any Grand Slam tournaments and that happened. So why not again?

by ponchi101
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:27 am ...

If you are saying that Iga is not the favorite in the ladies draw then who do you think is the favorite?

That being asked who would you say would be the favorite on the men's side? Would it be Medvedev?
I am not saying she is not the favorite; I am saying she is not the HANDS DOWN favorite. It will not be as clear as that RG run. I said above: she WILL be the favorite, but I say at only about 33%. All other players, and it will be a lot, will get reasonable odds.
Men's: Medvedev and Rafa at equal odds. Medvedev because he really likes the surface, Rafa because he wakes up to play a tennis match and a little part of his brain says "I'm Rafa".

When Emma won her USO we looked it up: NO player that has won a slam as a teenager (in the women's) has ended her career as a one slam wonder. And in the men's, only Chang has retired with no more slams.
Rybakina, at 23, is a bit of a late bloomer. But, so were Barty and Davenport. In the poll in another topic the majority felt she was in the 2-4 range. I say she is good for one more. But, with this parity, if she never even as much as sniffs another Slam final, one Wimbledon is one hell of a career.

by Cuckoo4Coco
ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:14 pm
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:27 am ...

I am not saying she is not the favorite; I am saying she is not the HANDS DOWN favorite. It will not be as clear as that RG run. I said above: she WILL be the favorite, but I say at only about 33%. All other players, and it will be a lot, will get reasonable odds.
Men's: Medvedev and Rafa at equal odds. Medvedev because he really likes the surface, Rafa because he wakes up to play a tennis match and a little part of his brain says "I'm Rafa".

When Emma won her USO we looked it up: NO player that has won a slam as a teenager (in the women's) has ended her career as a one slam wonder. And in the men's, only Chang has retired with no more slams.
Rybakina, at 23, is a bit of a late bloomer. But, so were Barty and Davenport. In the poll in another topic the majority felt she was in the 2-4 range. I say she is good for one more. But, with this parity, if she never even as much as sniffs another Slam final, one Wimbledon is one hell of a career.
It seems to me that every women's major there are no guarantees. There always seems to be a ton of upsets leading to the SF's and Finals. That is why players like Leylah and Coco and others have a great chance of winning the US Open in my opinion. Sure Iga could go through the tournament and not drop a set, but she could also go out in an early round before the 2nd week.

The Men's side always seems to be a bit more predictable, especially when the big 3 are in the tournament. This tournament however will only have 1 of them in Rafa. Medvedev at least at the US Open I think if playing the way he is capable of playing can beat anyone. I do think this year the US Open Men's side is a bit more open and that is why I think guys like Sinner and Alcaraz have great chances.

As for winning multiple slams for these young ladies. I totally agree with you that they have so much more tennis ahead of them and so much can happen in those tournaments. Like you also said though if they don't win another one winning a Grand Slam is such a huge achievement. Something to be so proud of.

As a little girl growing up playing this game, I know I have always dreamed about winning a Grand Slam event. I think every player who picks up a racquet when they are little dream of that.

by ponchi101 I say that as fans, sometimes we are too harsh. And these last three decades have been terrible for that, because we had Roger, Rafa, Novak, Pete, Serena, Steffi, Seles and Venus. All of the sudden, if you did not win 15 slams, you were not great.
I never liked Arantxa, because of her style of play. But that woman over-achieved to the max. With that game, almost any other player would have been stuck at challenger level. She won four slams.
But this last crop of players made it hard to keep perspective and appreciate, for example, Flavia Penetta. Sure, only one slam. But she won it.
Heck, I can't even win at Yahtzee. That should put me in my place.

by Cuckoo4Coco
ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:32 pm I say that as fans, sometimes we are too harsh. And these last three decades have been terrible for that, because we had Roger, Rafa, Novak, Pete, Serena, Steffi, Seles and Venus. All of the sudden, if you did not win 15 slams, you were not great.
I never liked Arantxa, because of her style of play. But that woman over-achieved to the max. With that game, almost any other player would have been stuck at challenger level. She won four slams.
But this last crop of players made it hard to keep perspective and appreciate, for example, Flavia Penetta. Sure, only one slam. But she won it.
Heck, I can't even win at Yahtzee. That should put me in my place.
Heck if I ever make it to the pro tour and win any tournament I will go crazy. Right now my goal as I think I mentioned is to win the Private Catholic Schools County and possibly State Championships. I would be extremely happy doing that. After that it is off to college where my goal is to win the NCAA Women's Championships by my Senior year. If I do that I think I would have achieved so much from the game of tennis and the game would even at that young age right out of college given me more than I can even imagine.

by jazzyg
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:21 pm Way too early to predict if Emma, Rybakina or Bianca will ever win another tournament. For one they are all very young and still even at where they are all in their games still improving and then you never know how anything will pan out in any Slam. Nobody thought Elena, Emma or Bianca were even going to win any Grand Slam tournaments and that happened. So why not again?
I was very vocal about Andreescu winning the U.S. Open before it started the year she won, and I was not alone. I know Brad Gilbert picked her, too, and the way she had barely lost matches when she competed all year, she was a popular selection.

Clearly no one could have foreseen Raducanu winning.

Rybakina, who always had the game to win a slam, had shown a proclivity for losing close matches ever since the pandemic started, so there was no reason to think she would turn it around at Wimbledon.

by ponchi101
jazzyg wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:53 pm ...

I was very vocal about Andreescu winning the U.S. Open before it started the year she won, and I was not alone. I know Brad Gilbert picked her, too, and the way she had barely lost matches when she competed all year, she was a popular selection.

Clearly no one could have foreseen Raducanu winning.

Rybakina, who always had the game to win a slam, had shown a proclivity for losing close matches ever since the pandemic started, so there was no reason to think she would turn it around at Wimbledon.
Not taking anything from your forecast, but Bianca had a great summer, even prior to the USO. She had taken IW in spring, and The Rogers Cup a bit earlier (even though Serena retired in that final). There was that stat that she had never lost a match in N. America that had been completed (she retired a couple of time). So, you are right; at least, a few people had her taking the USO.
I say she can be in the mix this year, and as long as she does not get injured, she can win it. But, some IFS of consideration.
Rybakina. We have to wait a few more tournaments, but it has happened before: a player win big, and turns the corner. Barty was a late bloomer, took that time off, and when she won the Aussie this year, she was clearly ahead of everybody. And Rybakina has a lot of room for improvement.

by Deuce
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:21 pm Way too early to predict if Emma, Rybakina or Bianca will ever win another tournament. For one they are all very young and still even at where they are all in their games still improving and then you never know how anything will pan out in any Slam. Nobody thought Elena, Emma or Bianca were even going to win any Grand Slam tournaments and that happened. So why not again?
Because, with Emma and Bianca, other players have figured out their games. When they won the U.S. Open, they were new to the tour, and other players didn't know how to play them. Now they know - and, as a result, Emma and Bianca are not doing nearly as well as they did in the years they won the U.S. Open.

There are also other factors... The both the psychological physical fitness is questionable with both Emma and Bianca.
Andreescu's injury problems have a very long history, going back to Juniors. As well, she says that she 'almost quit tennis completely' during the time in the past year that she didn't play. Her good stretch was a period of only 6 months, 3 years ago. She has not done anything significant since then. A good 6 months does not make a great career - just as a bad 6 months does not make a terrible career. It depends what you do with the rest of your time on tour.
And, on a personal note, I find her arrogant - her attitude has too often been one of a person who thinks she is the greatest thing since sliced bread. That will come back to bite you in the behind in 95% of players of any sport.

As far as Emma is concerned, she has also shown that she is more fragile than average both physically and psychologically. Her having to pull out of Wimbledon 2021 because she was simply emotionally overwhelmed... and her 'little injuries' have had her retire from matches or withdraw in between matches far too often recently.

And so, all of that combined has led me to believe that neither one will ever win another Major - and maybe never win another significant tournament.

by Cuckoo4Coco Like Ponchi said a few people predicted Bianca to win the USO that year, but by far she was not the overwhelming favorite to win the tournament that year.

Oh and I think Bianca has a shot at winning the USO this year. Why not? There could be a player that we are not even talking about and all of the sudden in the 2nd week we are all talking about that player and their chances of making it to the Finals. No one was talking about Emma and Leylah(Well maybe Deuce about Leylah) at the USO last year. So it can happen and actually I love when that sort of thing happens. Last year when Emma and Leylah played in the Final, I loved that. I hope something like that happens again this year that includes Coco Gauff this time. I think in the women's game anything can pretty much happen.

by Deuce As I said - the other players were unfamiliar with the games of Bianca, Emma, and Leylah - and that was a major factor in the 3 of them doing well.
Since then, the other players have studied their games, and have figured out how to best play them. This happens all the time, and is what separates the 'flavours of the month' from the players who will have a very good or great career.

Of course, the confidence that Bianca, Emma, and Leylah gained is also a significant factor. But it certainly appears that the confidence that Bianca and Emma gained by doing well has disappeared now, and only Leylah is still benefiting from that boost of confidence.

And, no, I wasn't talking about Leylah doing well at the U.S. Open last year - until she was doing well. She had been struggling during the year before then, so there was certainly no indication that she'd get to the Final of the U.S. Open.
(But after about the 2nd round, I did jokingly predict a Leylah - Emma Final :D )

by Cuckoo4Coco
Deuce wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:36 pm
Because, with Emma and Bianca, other players have figured out their games. When they won the U.S. Open, they were new to the tour, and other players didn't know how to play them. Now they know - and, as a result, Emma and Bianca are not doing nearly as well as they did in the years they won the U.S. Open.

There are also other factors... The both the psychological physical fitness is questionable with both Emma and Bianca.
Andreescu's injury problems have a very long history, going back to Juniors. As well, she says that she 'almost quit tennis completely' during the time in the past year that she didn't play. Her good stretch was a period of only 6 months, 3 years ago. She has not done anything significant since then. A good 6 months does not make a great career - just as a bad 6 months does not make a terrible career. It depends what you do with the rest of your time on tour.
And, on a personal note, I find her arrogant - her attitude has too often been one of a person who thinks she is the greatest thing since sliced bread. That will come back to bite you in the behind in 95% of players of any sport.

As far as Emma is concerned, she has also shown that she is more fragile than average both physically and psychologically. Her having to pull out of Wimbledon 2021 because she was simply emotionally overwhelmed... and her 'little injuries' have had her retire from matches or withdraw in between matches far too often recently.

And so, all of that combined has led me to believe that neither one will ever win another Major - and maybe never win another significant tournament.
I still think both of them are still very young in their careers , especially Emma. Sure injuries happen and there isn't much that can be done about them and some injuries are harder to come back from then others both physically and psychologically.

I have heard several players say they were going to quit tennis or take a break because they were not there mentally or physically and the only one I can say actually did retire from the game way before I thought they should is Ash Barty and that was supposed to be because she wanted to do other things which is her choice.

I also think a lot of players on the pro tour are a bit arrogant. Both Serena and Venus Williams think they are the greatest thing since sliced bread and well they are really good , but no one should act that way. There are a lot of players that do though. There are some like Naomi that don't and are down to earth. Of course I don't know these players personally and I doubt you do as well so I can't say 100%.

I just know these players are professionals and they work on their games a heck of a lot more then I do and I guarantee you that they are working on things daily to change things up if they see other players figuring things out.

I am not going to say that Emma, Bianca, or Elena are going to for sure win another Grand Slam or am I going to say they absolutely have no chance of winning another. I will say I do believe the chances of them winning another sometime in the rest of their careers is better than not winning any at all.

by Cuckoo4Coco
Deuce wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:54 pm As I said - the other players were unfamiliar with the games of Bianca, Emma, and Leylah - and that was a major factor in the 3 of them doing well.
Since then, the other players have studied their games, and have figured out how to best play them. This happens all the time, and is what separates the 'flavours of the month' from the players who will have a very good or great career.

Of course, the confidence that Bianca, Emma, and Leylah gained is also a significant factor. But it certainly appears that the confidence that Bianca and Emma gained by doing well has disappeared now, and only Leylah is still benefiting from that boost of confidence.

And, no, I wasn't talking about Leylah doing well at the U.S. Open last year - until she was doing well. She had been struggling during the year before then, so there was certainly no indication that she'd get to the Final of the U.S. Open.
(But after about the 2nd round, I did jokingly predict a Leylah - Emma Final :D )
I don't get the whole unfamiliar thing though because every event and especially the Grand Slam events there are a lot of players in the draw that the top players are very unfamiliar with and the majority of those players get destroyed in the 1st round by the top players. So there has to be something more to what Bianca, Leylah, and Emma had then just being unfamiliar.

by Deuce
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:02 pm
Deuce wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:54 pm As I said - the other players were unfamiliar with the games of Bianca, Emma, and Leylah - and that was a major factor in the 3 of them doing well.

I don't get the whole unfamiliar thing though because every event and especially the Grand Slam events there are a lot of players in the draw that the top players are very unfamiliar with and the majority of those players get destroyed in the 1st round by the top players. So there has to be something more to what Bianca, Leylah, and Emma had then just being unfamiliar.
Obviously there are degrees of ability. And obviously, just because someone is new to them does not mean that the new person will win.

There are established players, and there are upcoming players. In both groups, there are varying degrees of ability. Leylah, Bianca, and Emma have a certain degree of ability which allowed them to do well over a relatively short period of time (Leylah has thus far extended that time more than the other two, but her results have also obviously dropped from the time of the last U.S. Open).
But what Bianca and Emma have not been able to do thus far is to adapt to the other players adapting to them. And I don't really see any signs of them doing that to a degree that will get them to the relative position of beating the other players as often as they did at their short-lived 'peak'.
Leylah has adapted to other players adjusting to play her better than the other two have - and so she hasn't fallen as far from her 'peak' as the other two have.
It's pretty straightforward to me.

by Cuckoo4Coco
Deuce wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:28 pm
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:02 pm

Obviously there are degrees of ability. And obviously, just because someone is new to them does not mean that the new person will win.

There are established players, and there are upcoming players. In both groups, there are varying degrees of ability. Leylah, Bianca, and Emma have a certain degree of ability which allowed them to do well over a relatively short period of time (Leylah has thus far extended that time more than the other two, but her results have also obviously dropped from the time of the last U.S. Open).
But what Bianca and Emma have not been able to do thus far is to adapt to the other players adapting to them. And I don't really see any signs of them doing that to a degree that will get them to the relative position of beating the other players as often as they did at their short-lived 'peak'.
Leylah has adapted to other players adjusting to play her better than the other two have - and so she hasn't fallen as far from her 'peak' as the other two have.
It's pretty straightforward to me.
I can agree there are players that have more potential coming out of the gate than others, but I also have to say that there are players that come out of nowhere and make a long career of it. Look at a player like Sam Stosur for example. Not someone you would think would have longevity on the tour and she did win a Grand Slam and was ranked pretty high at points in her career. She had a great career. When she came on the scene was she this hotshot play. I highly doubt it. Before the USO who really knew of Emma Raducanu. Not very many people. Maybe you knew of Leylah and Bianca because you are from Canada before they did what they did, but most did not.

I guess what I am saying is these young players not only have a ton of time on their side and also even if they don't have the right people at the moment in their teams they have a lot of time to work that all out. I just don't see a player who reached the top not wanting to get back to that. I am no where near at the level of competition that they play and I know when I start having a slump I work 200% harder and I and my coach try and figure out how to change things up to get back to my winning ways. These players are professionals and I don't see how they would not do that same thing.

by Deuce
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:31 pm
I can agree there are players that have more potential coming out of the gate than others, but I also have to say that there are players that come out of nowhere and make a long career of it. Look at a player like Sam Stosur for example. Not someone you would think would have longevity on the tour and she did win a Grand Slam and was ranked pretty high at points in her career. She had a great career. When she came on the scene was she this hotshot play. I highly doubt it. Before the USO who really knew of Emma Raducanu. Not very many people. Maybe you knew of Leylah and Bianca because you are from Canada before they did what they did, but most did not.

I guess what I am saying is these young players not only have a ton of time on their side and also even if they don't have the right people at the moment in their teams they have a lot of time to work that all out. I just don't see a player who reached the top not wanting to get back to that. I am no where near at the level of competition that they play and I know when I start having a slump I work 200% harder and I and my coach try and figure out how to change things up to get back to my winning ways. These players are professionals and I don't see how they would not do that same thing.
I, of course, never said - or even implied - that they aren't working toward getting better, so I really don't know where that part of your comment comes from. (But, that said, there are certainly some players who don't work hard to improve.)

What I said, once again, is that I don't see that Emma or Bianca have adapted to the adjustments other players have made to the way they play them. Other players have figured them out, and so Emma and Bianca are disadvantaged as a result.

It's like computer hackers and programmers... The programmers do something to protect against being hacked... then the hackers figure out how to get around those protections... so the programmers have to find new, better ways to protect against hackers... and when the hackers figure out how to get around that, the programmers have to come up with something better and new.
With tennis players, now other players have figured Emma and Bianca out. So it's up to Emma and Bianca to figure out how they can gain the upper hand again. And on and on it goes, until given players reach their plateau.
I'm saying that I think Emma and Bianca have reached the point where they won't gain the upper hand again. Maybe I'm right, maybe I'm wrong. But that is what I see based on my 40 years of watching and playing the game.

by Cuckoo4Coco
Deuce wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:04 am
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:31 pm

I, of course, never said - or even implied - that they aren't working toward getting better, so I really don't know where that part of your comment comes from. (But, that said, there are certainly some players who don't work hard to improve.)

What I said, once again, is that I don't see that Emma or Bianca have adapted to the adjustments other players have made to the way they play them. Other players have figured them out, and so Emma and Bianca are disadvantaged as a result.

It's like computer hackers and programmers... The programmers do something to protect against being hacked... then the hackers figure out how to get around those protections... so the programmers have to find new, better ways to protect against hackers... and when the hackers figure out how to get around that, the programmers have to come up with something better and new.
With tennis players, now other players have figured Emma and Bianca out. So it's up to Emma and Bianca to figure out how they can gain the upper hand again. And on and on it goes, until given players reach their plateau.
I'm saying that I think Emma and Bianca have reached the point where they won't gain the upper hand again. Maybe I'm right, maybe I'm wrong. But that is what I see based on my 40 years of watching and playing the game.
Maybe you have a lot more experience watching the game of tennis than I do and that will never change, but don't you think not adapting and adjusting to opponents games translates a bit to the lack of putting in the work? What I am saying is every player when they see that other players come along and adapt their games that can control the match much better when they play them they do everything they can to adjust. If they are not doing that then they are not putting in the effort they should be.

by Deuce No - sometimes they just can't adjust or adapt - either because they don't have the physical ability to, or because they can't figure out how to best adjust their game to beat very good players who have adjusted to play them better, etc.

Anyway - I'm done with this subject, as I'm just repeating myself in slightly different ways.
We'll see in 10 years or so if I'm right about Andreescu and Raducanu (although I actually expect them both to retire from tennis before that 10 years is up).

by ponchi101
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:54 pm ...

Maybe you have a lot more experience watching the game of tennis than I do and that will never change, but don't you think not adapting and adjusting to opponents games translates a bit to the lack of putting in the work? What I am saying is every player when they see that other players come along and adapt their games that can control the match much better when they play them they do everything they can to adjust. If they are not doing that then they are not putting in the effort they should be.
Maybe. But maybe, it just means that your game is no longer suitable to improve.
Stefan Edberg said it. His wonderful Serve & Volley game was no longer suitable for the tour. His continental FH was too weak for the new atomic strokes. He just could not move forward. Jim Courier, with a different stroke, also lost power on his FH and was never able to recover it. JC Ferrero, one of the hardest working men on tour, won RG and reached the USO final in 2003, and then, dropped and dropped and dropped in rankings for the next few years. He could not keep up with the other guys (and he was in the Federer generation, so he had to suffer that).
I am not saying Bianca and Emma are done; they are too young. But their return to greatness is not guaranteed, regardless of how much hard work they put in. They may just have, indeed, caught lightning in a bottle. Once.

by Cuckoo4Coco
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:26 pm

Maybe. But maybe, it just means that your game is no longer suitable to improve.
Stefan Edberg said it. His wonderful Serve & Volley game was no longer suitable for the tour. His continental FH was too weak for the new atomic strokes. He just could not move forward. Jim Courier, with a different stroke, also lost power on his FH and was never able to recover it. JC Ferrero, one of the hardest working men on tour, won RG and reached the USO final in 2003, and then, dropped and dropped and dropped in rankings for the next few years. He could not keep up with the other guys (and he was in the Federer generation, so he had to suffer that).
I am not saying Bianca and Emma are done; they are too young. But their return to greatness is not guaranteed, regardless of how much hard work they put in. They just have, indeed, caught lightning in a bottle. Once.
Both you and Deuce have a lot more experience on this than I do. I definitely am not saying that either of you are wrong that these players lost something in their game. Heck even Serena has lost something in her game over time. I just don't see Emma or Bianca for one both being so young to fall off terribly. They have both been at the top or close to the top and I am pretty sure they want some more of that. I can't guarantee that will happen and I don't think anyone can, but I also cannot guarantee that they will not and either can anyone else.

by ponchi101
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:22 pm ...

Both you and Deuce have a lot more experience on this than I do. I definitely am not saying that either of you are wrong that these players lost something in their game. Heck even Serena has lost something in her game over time. I just don't see Emma or Bianca for one both being so young to fall off terribly. They have both been at the top or close to the top and I am pretty sure they want some more of that. I can't guarantee that will happen and I don't think anyone can, but I also cannot guarantee that they will not and either can anyone else.
I don't believe in experience, especially when people usually use it to try to end an argument:
"I have 30 years experience in... blah blah blah".
;)

We are fairly in agreement; I am not going to write off two players that have not even reached 23, the age at which Rybakina won her first Slam. But the parity in the WTA is so deep, and Bianca and Emma have done little since their Slams, so one has to wonder if they can climb that hill again.
I say they both will win one more; I give Bianca a better chance because she has power, while Emma lacks a bit of that. They share a bad penchant for injuries, and that is a con.
Emma will be able to re-tool after the USO, where she will lose and her ranking will drop. From there, a proper plan to play at some 250's and even some 125's will help her mature at a more "organic" pace.

by meganfernandez
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:22 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:26 pm

I am not saying Bianca and Emma are done; they are too young. But their return to greatness is not guaranteed, regardless of how much hard work they put in. They just have, indeed, caught lightning in a bottle. Once.
100% with you on this. No guarantees, but I'll take proven talent and success over proven talent and potential.

by Cuckoo4Coco The women's game is very deep and there are definitely no guarantees to pretty much every tournament they go into(even the slams). Before when Serena was there and winning all the time and even when Ash Barty started to take over you could sometimes predict the way things would go, but most of the time in the women's game it is up for grabs and now it definitely is. Even with a player like Iga you never know what will happen.

In just over a month we could be talking about another unknown ladies player who is rolling through the USO out of nowhere. Who knows?

I am not going to say that Emma , Elena, Bianca, Leylah or any of those young players will ever be a Serena or even Ash Barty because it probably won't happen, but you never know.

by ponchi101 Barty's bar is not that high. She left too early. That is only 3 slams, barring any return.

by meganfernandez
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:59 pm The women's game is very deep and there are definitely no guarantees to pretty much every tournament they go into(even the slams). Before when Serena was there and winning all the time and even when Ash Barty started to take over you could sometimes predict the way things would go, but most of the time in the women's game it is up for grabs and now it definitely is. Even with a player like Iga you never know what will happen.

In just over a month we could be talking about another unknown ladies player who is rolling through the USO out of nowhere. Who knows?

I am not going to say that Emma , Elena, Bianca, Leylah or any of those young players will ever be a Serena or even Ash Barty because it probably won't happen, but you never know.
I can see Leylah and Elena surpassing Barty's accomplishments on paper - 3 Slams, a run at #1... If Barty hadn't retired, I think she would have set the bar out of reach for them. I think Emma can have a solid Top 20 career and challenge for more Slams. Bianca is iffier based on durability and motivation, but certainly the tennis is there.

by Cuckoo4Coco
meganfernandez wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:28 pm
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:59 pm The women's game is very deep and there are definitely no guarantees to pretty much every tournament they go into(even the slams). Before when Serena was there and winning all the time and even when Ash Barty started to take over you could sometimes predict the way things would go, but most of the time in the women's game it is up for grabs and now it definitely is. Even with a player like Iga you never know what will happen.

I can see Leylah and Elena surpassing Barty's accomplishments on paper - 3 Slams, a run at #1... If Barty hadn't retired, I think she would have set the bar out of reach for them. I think Emma can have a solid Top 20 career and challenge for more Slams. Bianca is iffier based on durability and motivation, but certainly the tennis is there.
Injuries play a factor in a lot of these players futures for sure. Ash Barty, I think could have won many more Slams if she decided to play into her 30's. She might come back, but I doubt i. It seems like she is very happy with what she is doing and she is probably going to be starting a family soon. A player like Iga also has that ability to run off and win a slew of slams, but will she be the next to do it? That remains to be seen. I think predicting the winners of the women's game is the hardest thing to do in every tournament. It usually is up in the air with a ton of upsets.

by Suliso Three Slams is a lot higher bar than most of you seem to think. You'll probably agree that Halep, Azarenka and Kvitova are great players. They couldn't do it...

by ponchi101
Suliso wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:32 am Three Slams is a lot higher bar than most of you seem to think. You'll probably agree that Halep, Azarenka and Kvitova are great players. They couldn't do it...
We would be splitting hairs and getting into semantics. "Great", "Very Good". Sure, totally acceptable terms whichever way you say it. But, of course, 3 slams is not so unheard of.
Heck, you can keep going. Mugu also has two, Austin stayed at two, Kuznetsova two. But if you have one already, the bar is there to see. It is not the 4 from Mandlikova, the 5 from Sharapova, and so on.

by Cuckoo4Coco The accomplishment of winning one of the 4 major events in the sport of tennis is something to be proud of for any professional player. I don't care if they have won just one of them or 23 or 24 of them over their career. It has to take a lot of effort and dedication over that two week span to get that done. Many of these men played 5 hour matches to get it done and women played over 3 hours to get it done. Dealing with the heat and even some with injuries. So whether you are Emma Raducanu or Serena Williams they have accomplished something that they should both be extremely proud of and I bet they really are because it is not an easy thing to do at all.

by ashkor87
Suliso wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:32 am Three Slams is a lot higher bar than most of you seem to think. You'll probably agree that Halep, Azarenka and Kvitova are great players. They couldn't do it...
Halep, yes, she simply isn't resilient enough but let us not forget the horrible knife attack on Kvitova and the custody case that derailed Vika precisely when she was hitting her stride....they have excuses...but there are several other 2-time champions, interestingly enough, to whom your comment does apply..Kuznetsova, LiNa, muguruza..

by Cuckoo4Coco I still think when it comes to the women's draws in slams there is a much larger pool of players that could be raising the trophy at the end of the two weeks compared to the men's draw. It does seem if Novak or Rafa are in the draw at least one of them makes the final and then there is Medvedev as well. Then there is a handful of others that are vying to play them in the final. For the women you really never know who is going to make the finals. Yeah, there can be the strong favorite in Iga, but there really is no absolute guarantee even with her. That is why I think a lot of these top women's players have a great chance of picking up 2 or 3 slams along the way because there really isn't no one on the tour that is really dominating the tour right now. If Iga takes that over then that might change, but as for right now a lot of the women's players could be winning these slams in the near future.

by ponchi101 I have been talking about this for about three years now. The parity we see in the WTA is what we will see in the ATP when Rafa and Novak retire. This will become golf: a bunch of one time winners, a few 2-3 champs, a scarcity of multiple slam winners.
I think it is the reason Rafa and Novak are still putting so much effort in their careers. They know that whomever ends up with the slam record, will be so forever. Even though I also say forever is a mighty long time.

by Suliso I wanted to say that. Pete probably thought his record would last for decades.

by Cuckoo4Coco
ponchi101 wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:05 pm I have been talking about this for about three years now. The parity we see in the WTA is what we will see in the ATP when Rafa and Novak retire. This will become golf: a bunch of one time winners, a few 2-3 champs, a scarcity of multiple slam winners.
I think it is the reason Rafa and Novak are still putting so much effort in their careers. They know that whomever ends up with the slam record, will be so forever. Even though I also say forever is a mighty long time.
When I am in my 30's and 40's and some hot shot player on the tour is approaching either Rafa's or Novak's Slam record, I am going to go back in the archives here and pull this up. :lol:

by ponchi101 When you get to your 30's or, even more extreme, your 40's, this forum will be long gone and will be named "Mumble about tennis", because the rest of us will be so old.
And we won't even remember how to look up for the forum in our antediluvian laptops :cry:
Alcaraz: Maybe, a huge maybe 6 slams. The field is too even.

by Cuckoo4Coco
ponchi101 wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:00 pm When you get to your 30's or, even more extreme, your 40's, this forum will be long gone and will be named "Mumble about tennis", because the rest of us will be so old.
And we won't even remember how to look up for the forum in our antediluvian laptops :cry:
Alcaraz: Maybe, a huge maybe 6 slams. The field is too even.
Oh No!!!!! I will have to keep it going for the next generation.

by ti-amie

by Cuckoo4Coco
ti-amie wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:46 pm
Not really sure how I stand on this. Being a huge tennis fan , I would love having one of the best players of all time in the tournament for sure, but do we really start giving special people exemptions? I don't know if that is the right thing either.

by ashkor87 US citizens already have exemptions

by Cuckoo4Coco
ashkor87 wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:16 pm US citizens already have exemptions
I see what you are saying. If you are a US citizen living elsewhere within the world and unvaccinated you can come into the United States.

by ponchi101
And as a non US citizen, when I went to the USA in January I had to upload my vaccination cards on the United Airlines site or they would not let me board the plane. No exception.
And, although I am a resident of Colombia, but not a Citizen, I would have not been allowed to enter the country again without proof of vaccination. If you are a citizen, you can enter if you are not vaccinated, AND then you have to go through a two weeks quarantine. Which is very strictly enforced (if you are caught breaching the quarantine you can spend some time quarantined in prison).

by Cuckoo4Coco
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:30 pm
And as a non US citizen, when I went to the USA in January I had to upload my vaccination cards on the United Airlines site or they would not let me board the plane. No exception.
And, although I am a resident of Colombia, but not a Citizen, I would have not been allowed to enter the country again without proof of vaccination. If you are a citizen, you can enter if you are not vaccinated, AND then you have to go through a two weeks quarantine. Which is very strictly enforced (if you are caught breaching the quarantine you can spend some time quarantined in prison).
Is that the quarantine procedure for Colombia? Here in the USA they also have a time frame for quarantine , but I don't think it is strictly enforced. I don't know for sure though.

by ponchi101 I am flying to Venezuela on Saturday. MY Home country; not a resident, still a citizen.
I have to:
Bring in proof of vaccination.
Submit to a $60 C19 test (at the airport, upon arrival).
Give my address and e-mail for them to deliver the test result.
If I fail the test, I have to quarantine.
I can shove my rights up my... Ok, I don't have any rights there, since we are a dictatorship. But there are NO exceptions.

by Cuckoo4Coco
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:42 pm I am flying to Venezuela on Saturday. MY Home country; not a resident, still a citizen.
I have to:
Bring in proof of vaccination.
Submit to a $60 C19 test (at the airport, upon arrival).
Give my address and e-mail for them to deliver the test result.
If I fail the test, I have to quarantine.
I can shove my rights up my... Ok, I don't have any rights there, since we are a dictatorship. But there are NO exceptions.
$60 to take a Covid test? What the ... is that all about? Here in the United States they give the test kits out for free. I never heard of something so ridiculous.

by ponchi101 Because it is the Vennie Government, and they charge you that. And we are all very clear that SOME BIG SHOT in the Government is running the scam.
And if you don't like it, don't come.

by Cuckoo4Coco
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:32 pm Because it is the Vennie Government, and they charge you that. And we are all very clear that SOME BIG SHOT in the Government is running the scam.
And if you don't like it, don't come.
Sounds like another reason to put in the column to not come. ;)

by ashkor87 the question it raises is - if the US Open discriminates between US Citizens and non-US-Citizens, how open is it, really? The defence could be - it is the government who is discriminating, not us, which is what the Australian Open and Wimbledon also could have said.. it looks like only the French Open is really Open!

by ponchi101 Our problem with your line of reasoning is that the USO is not discriminating against anybody. The Govt of the USA is not discriminating against anybody. The government sets a series of policies for people to enter and, if you do not fulfill them, you don't come in.
Daniel Galan and Cami Osorio (Colombian 31's) need to apply for a visa to get into the USA. Hugo Dellien from Bolivia, too. Every single Argentinian needs a visa. If you don't get it, you don't come in.
If you cannot show proof of money to come into the USA, you can be detained by ANY officer from CBP and be returned back home. When I fly through Europe, I need to show AT LEAST one credit card or financial instrument that will show that I have the money to sustain myself while there.
And every single foreign person the USA needs to be vaccinated. The rule is simple.
I really do not understand your line of reasoning. If Americans want to enter their country without being vaccinated, that is between Americans (and we know the problems that has generated). But that is precisely what a country is: a club, and the members get special treatment over the non-members.
So, if it raises a question, the answer is right there.

by atlpam
ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:25 pm Our problem with your line of reasoning is that the USO is not discriminating against anybody. The Govt of the USA is not discriminating against anybody. The government sets a series of policies for people to enter and, if you do not fulfill them, you don't come in.
Daniel Galan and Cami Osorio (Colombian 31's) need to apply for a visa to get into the USA. Hugo Dellien from Bolivia, too. Every single Argentinian needs a visa. If you don't get it, you don't come in.
If you cannot show proof of money to come into the USA, you can be detained by ANY officer from CBP and be returned back home. When I fly through Europe, I need to show AT LEAST one credit card or financial instrument that will show that I have the money to sustain myself while there.
And every single foreign person the USA needs to be vaccinated. The rule is simple.
I really do not understand your line of reasoning. If Americans want to enter their country without being vaccinated, that is between Americans (and we know the problems that has generated). But that is precisely what a country is: a club, and the members get special treatment over the non-members.
It was similar for Australia. The exemption for recent covid infection only applied to Australian citizens returning to the country. All non citizens were still required to be vaccinated.

by Cuckoo4Coco I guess until this Covid thing is really under control which I doubt will be in a very long time these countries governments are going to have a hand in a lot of things when it comes from people from other countries coming and going in and out of there countries. This includes athletes in all types of sports.

by ashkor87
ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:25 pm Our problem with your line of reasoning is that the USO is not discriminating against anybody. The Govt of the USA is not discriminating against anybody. The government sets a series of policies for people to enter and, if you do not fulfill them, you don't come in.
Isn't that the same argument the Trump administration made when it tried to ban people from Muslim countries? Are you now saying that argument was correct? I should hope not!

If anything, it is US citizens who need to be vaccinated..they are more vulnerable than most non-us citizens, low immunity..anyway, once you say US citizens can enter without vaccination, it ceases to be a public health argument, doesn't it?

by ashkor87 Time to close this chapter though, maybe shift it to the board on government policies or something! I generally stay away from that sort of thing, so...partly because I am not particularly proud of my own government's policies- is anybody?

by Cuckoo4Coco Maybe it is just me but this whole Covid and vaccine thing has gotten into everything. Politics, Sports, Entertainment when really it is a health related issue and in my opinion that is where it should have stayed. Once it became political and in many ways the whole Novak Djokovic thing is that now it has all gone completely insane and out of control. It is a health issue that is a world health issue. Let the health professionals deal with it and the scientists that make these vaccines and all these other people keep their two cents out of it.

I don't know maybe I am being too naive about all of it as I am not going to say I know much about all of this, but it seems because this and many other things become political it all gets out of control.

by ponchi101
ashkor87 wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:29 am Time to close this chapter though, maybe shift it to the board on government policies or something! I generally stay away from that sort of thing, so...partly because I am not particularly proud of my own government's policies- is anybody?
There is a "C19 and tennis" topic:
https://www.talkabouttennis2.com/viewto ... ?t=83#p721

And, yes, maybe time to move it there. Feel free to do so, and then I can reply to a couple of your questions.

by Cuckoo4Coco On the tennis side of things at the US Open, I look for more of an open men's draw kind of like the women's draw this year with Novak out, Rafa and his Abs injury, Zverev out. That leaves the chances for one of these younger players to step up and jump into the spotlight and possibly knock off a Medvedev. Someone like A Carlos Alcaraz or Jannik Sinner or even an American in Taylor Fritz, Frances Tiafoe, Brandon Nakashima or someone like that. Regardless who it might be, I think it is a lot more wide open and I think we are going to come out of this USO with a 1st time champion.

by meganfernandez
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:09 pm On the tennis side of things at the US Open, I look for more of an open men's draw kind of like the women's draw this year with Novak out, Rafa and his Abs injury, Zverev out. That leaves the chances for one of these younger players to step up and jump into the spotlight and possibly knock off a Medvedev. Someone like A Carlos Alcaraz or Jannik Sinner or even an American in Taylor Fritz, Frances Tiafoe, Brandon Nakashima or someone like that. Regardless who it might be, I think it is a lot more wide open and I think we are going to come out of this USO with a 1st time champion.
Bo-tic, Bo-tic, Bo-tic!

If Medvedev and Rafa aren't at their best, it's definitely going to be open season. I think Medvedev will establish himself as the favorite before the Open. Berrettini could be a factor. Kyrgios could be in the mix again. Would be nice to see Korda back. How about Andy Murray pulling out a performance for the ages?

by Cuckoo4Coco
meganfernandez wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:56 pm
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:09 pm On the tennis side of things at the US Open, I look for more of an open men's draw kind of like the women's draw this year with Novak out, Rafa and his Abs injury, Zverev out. That leaves the chances for one of these younger players to step up and jump into the spotlight and possibly knock off a Medvedev. Someone like A Carlos Alcaraz or Jannik Sinner or even an American in Taylor Fritz, Frances Tiafoe, Brandon Nakashima or someone like that. Regardless who it might be, I think it is a lot more wide open and I think we are going to come out of this USO with a 1st time champion.
Bo-tic, Bo-tic, Bo-tic!

If Medvedev and Rafa aren't at their best, it's definitely going to be open season. I think Medvedev will establish himself as the favorite before the Open. Berrettini could be a factor. Kyrgios could be in the mix again. Would be nice to see Korda back. How about Andy Murray pulling out a performance for the ages?
Your guy Botic would be awesome.

by ponchi101 Even with Rafa's abs totally healed, I would still give Fritz a reasonable chance. Sure, he lost that QF Vs Rafa at Wimby, and it must have hurt, but that was his best Slam result. He has been improving little by little, which is all you can ask for.

by Cuckoo4Coco
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:13 pm Even with Rafa's abs totally healed, I would still give Fritz a reasonable chance. Sure, he lost that QF Vs Rafa at Wimby, and it must have hurt, but that was his best Slam result. He has been improving little by little, which is all you can ask for.
I also like the chances of Taylor Fritz.

by ti-amie I think with the right draw Fritz can go far in New York this year. I definitely see him in Week 2.

by ponchi101 Oh, not making week 2 will be underperforming.
I know I just posted, in a separate topic, that we have to gauge Alcaraz' potential. We have to do the same with Fritz. But, by now, we also can claim some minimum's. Any 1R/2R loss by Alcaraz on clay will look bad; he is too good for that. And for Fritz, the same but on hard courts.
It is delicate: we cannot expect them to win a slam THIS year (apart from there being only one left), but we also should not expect 1R losses.
(Unless they run into a Kyrgios on an exceptional day, or an Isner hitting 50 aces in a three setter, or other oddities like that).

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:50 pm Oh, not making week 2 will be underperforming.
I know I just posted, in a separate topic, that we have to gauge Alcaraz' potential. We have to do the same with Fritz. But, by now, we also can claim some minimum's. Any 1R/2R loss by Alcaraz on clay will look bad; he is too good for that. And for Fritz, the same but on hard courts.
It is delicate: we cannot expect them to win a slam THIS year (apart from there being only one left), but we also should not expect 1R losses.
(Unless they run into a Kyrgios on an exceptional day, or an Isner hitting 50 aces in a three setter, or other oddities like that).
For sure. As their rankings reflect, they are favorites in the first few rounds. Fritz isn't that young - he's 24, will be 25 in October. He's entering the long middle phase of his career. Alcaraz's early years have had a different shape.

by Cuckoo4Coco I am going to throw out this young American to watch in the USO and that is 19 year old Ben Shelton. I am not going to say he is going to win the tournament, but he could stun some players on the way to a good appearance at the Open. He is also currently playing at the Atlanta Open.

by ponchi101 He is ranked 281. I am not sure if what you meant by "stun some players" is that there are players he could beat, because stunning some players sounds, to me, like making 3R or 4R. And Shelton has no credentials for that.
He would even have to qualify first, which is not a given (unless a WC is in order).
Not sure, Cuckoo...

by Cuckoo4Coco
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:17 pm He is ranked 281. I am not sure if what you meant by "stun some players" is that there are players he could beat, because stunning some players sounds, to me, like making 3R or 4R. And Shelton has no credentials for that.
He would even have to qualify first, which is not a given (unless a WC is in order).
Not sure, Cuckoo...
I think he is going to get a WC. I wouldn't be surprised if he wins 2 matches and makes it to the 3rd round. Try and watch him in the Atlanta Open if you can. He plays tomorrow.

by jazzyg Shelton will get a wild card because he is an American NCAA singles champion from this year. They did away with automatic wild cards to NCAA singles champs more than a decade ago, but they still give them to players from the U.S. when they win the NCAA singles title.

by meganfernandez
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:08 pm I am going to throw out this young American to watch in the USO and that is 19 year old Ben Shelton. I am not going to say he is going to win the tournament, but he could stun some players on the way to a good appearance at the Open. He is also currently playing at the Atlanta Open.
Good eye on Ben Shelton. I saw him play at the Indy Challenger last week. He made the semis. I was surprised he lost that match, actually. The kid has some big firepower. And he was very nice. It looks like he can get stronger physically. I don't think he will win a round at the Open, but you never know. I'll watch him. It will be interesting to see if he stays in school or goes pro. I think he should stay and get stronger.

Funny, I thought Shelton's serves were bombs, but in the two matches I saw, the opponents returned them pretty easily, nice and deep. Particularly Kovacevic, who beat Shelton in the semi. Kovacevic has a sweet one-handed backhand.

Shelton technically beat Van Rijthoven, but it was a retirement. Van Rijthoven won the first set 7-6 and retired with a sore back soon after, but actually Shelton should have won that first set. One of his own team members messed him up. Late in the set, VR missed a serve and Shelton's uncle (I think) clapped, and VR turned to him and called him out, saying it was disrespectful. Kids sitting next to the uncle were hooting about it. It was sort of a spectacle. I didn't see it, but I heard Shelton was visibly upset by his uncle's actions and the whole thing, and promptly dropped his serve. I don't know if this was during the set or TB. Anyway... I was impressed with the kid, but maybe he's a dime a dozen. I think he plays for his dad in Florida.

Wu Yibing won the Challenger, and that makes three in a row this summer on hard court. The final vs Kovacevic was so close. Kovacevic won the first in a TB and Wu took the second 15-13 in the TB.

Not to derail this topic, but the coolest thing I saw during the tournament was after the doubles final, two opponents stayed on court analyzing the match, very complimentary of each other. The losing finalist, Raja Purav, who is 36, looks like he's a member at the host club, not a pro player. The first time he took the court, I was thinking, "Did they have a tournament to give a doubles wild card to some local players?" He looks way older than 36, mostly because he's bald. But he's good.

Also, the courts weren't as big as we're used to seeing on TV, in terms of room behind the baseline. The line judges were always lunging out of the way or covering their heads to avoid getting hit. The proximity hindered players at some points. I saw someone lose a point because the ball was deep and he would have hit the line judge if he had swung. Also, there were only 3 line judges on the whole court. One calling the service line, and one for each sideline. The sideline judges stood on opposite ends of the court and had to call the whole line, even on the other side, plus the center line on the serve. The chair called the baselines. No review.
jazzyg wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:43 am Shelton will get a wild card because he as American NCAA singles champion from this year. They did away with automatic wild cards to NCAA singles champs more than a decade ago, but they still give them to players from the U.S. when they win the the NCAA singles title.
Main draw or qualies? I'd prefer a qualies wild card. I just wonder if the R1 prize money lures them into leaving school so they don't have to leave it on the table. I assume if they say in school, they can't accept the $40,000 R1 prize money. I think they can take enough to cover expenses, so maybe there are some loopholes. I also wonder if that's changing now that NCAA athletes can accept endorsements.

by Cuckoo4Coco
meganfernandez wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:53 pm
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:08 pm I am going to throw out this young American to watch in the USO and that is 19 year old Ben Shelton. I am not going to say he is going to win the tournament, but he could stun some players on the way to a good appearance at the Open. He is also currently playing at the Atlanta Open.
Good eye on Ben Shelton. I saw him play at the Indy Challenger last week. He made the semis. I was surprised he lost that match, actually. The kid has some big firepower. And he was very nice. It looks like he can get stronger physically. I don't think he will win a round at the Open, but you never know. I'll watch him. It will be interesting to see if he stays in school or goes pro. I think he should stay and get stronger.

Funny, I thought Shelton's serves were bombs, but the two opponents I saw returned them pretty easily, nice and deep. Particularly Kovacevic, who beat Shelton in the semi. Kovacevic has a sweet one-handed backhand.

Shelton technically beat Van Rijthoven, but it was a retirement. Van Rijthoven won the first set 7-6 and retired with a sore back soon after, but actually Shelton should have won that first set. One of his own team members messed him up. Late in the set, VR missed a serve and Shelton's uncle (I think) clapped, and VR turned to him and called him out, saying it was disrespectful. Kids sitting next to the uncle were hooting about it. It was sort of a spectacle. I didn't see it, but I heard Shelton was visibly upset by his uncle's actions and the whole thing. Then he dropped his serve next. I don't know if this was during the set or TB. Anyway... I was impressed with the kid, but maybe he's a dime a dozen. I think he plays for his dad in Florida.

Wu Yibing won the Challenger, and that makes three in a row this summer on hard court. The final vs Kovacevic was so close. Kovacevic won the first in a TB and Wu took the second 15-13 in the TB.

Not to derail this topic, but the coolest thing I saw during the tournament was after the doubles final, two opponents stayed on court analyzing the match, very complimentary of each other. The losing opponent, Raja Purav, who is 36, looks like he's a member at the club, not a pro player. First time he took the court, I was like, "Did they have a tournament to give a doubles wild card to some local players?" He looks way older than 36, mostly because he's bald. But he's good.

Also, the courts weren't as big as we're used to seeing on TV, in terms of room behind the baseline. The line judges were always lunging out of the way or covering their heads to avoid getting hit. The proximity hindered players at some points. I saw someone lose a point because the ball was deep and he would have hit the line judge if he had swung at hit. Also, there were only 3 line judges on the whole court. One calling the service line, and one for each sideline. The sideline judges stood on opposite ends of the court and had to call the whole line, even on the other side, plus the center line on the serve. The chair called the baselines. No review.
jazzyg wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:43 am Shelton will get a wild card because he as American NCAA singles champion from this year. They did away with automatic wild cards to NCAA singles champs more than a decade ago, but they still give them to players from the U.S. when they win the the NCAA singles title.
Main draw or qualies? I'd prefer a qualies wild card. I just wonder if the R1 prize money lures them into leaving school so they don't have to leave it on the table. I assume if they say in school, they can't accept the $40,000 R1 prize money. I think they can take enough to cover expenses, so maybe there are some loopholes. I also wonder if that's changing now that NCAA athletes can accept endorsements.
I love your analysis on Shelton. Very in depth and spot on. I have heard a lot about him on the The Mini Break Podcast I listen to. Alex Gruskin who does the podcast was raving about him so I had to check him out. Another player the podcast has also raved about is South Korean Kwon Soon-woo who defeated Marcos Giron in the 1st Round of the Atlanta Open yesterday. From what I saw of him he does have solid ground strokes, but can get into a funk and make a slew of errors in bunches.

I am also for Shelton going back to school, but I guess that will be determined by his success on the tour. I do however think he can upset one or two players if he is on his game at the USO. He is definitely someone to watch for the future.

by meganfernandez
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:35 pm

Funny, I thought Shelton's serves were bombs, but the two opponents I saw returned them pretty easily, nice and deep. Particularly Kovacevic, who beat Shelton in the semi. Kovacevic has a sweet one-handed backhand.

Shelton technically beat Van Rijthoven, but it was a retirement. Van Rijthoven won the first set 7-6 and retired with a sore back soon after, but actually Shelton should have won that first set. One of his own team members messed him up. Late in the set, VR missed a serve and Shelton's uncle (I think) clapped, and VR turned to him and called him out, saying it was disrespectful. Kids sitting next to the uncle were hooting about it. It was sort of a spectacle. I didn't see it, but I heard Shelton was visibly upset by his uncle's actions and the whole thing. Then he dropped his serve next. I don't know if this was during the set or TB. Anyway... I was impressed with the kid, but maybe he's a dime a dozen. I think he plays for his dad in Florida.

Not to derail this topic, but the coolest thing I saw during the tournament was after the doubles final, two opponents stayed on court analyzing the match, very complimentary of each other. The losing opponent, Raja Purav, who is 36, looks like he's a member at the club, not a pro player. First time he took the court, I was like, "Did they have a tournament to give a doubles wild card to some local players?" He looks way older than 36, mostly because he's bald. But he's good.

Also, the courts weren't as big as we're used to seeing on TV, in terms of room behind the baseline. The line judges were always lunging out of the way or covering their heads to avoid getting hit. The proximity hindered players at some points. I saw someone lose a point because the ball was deep and he would have hit the line judge if he had swung at hit. Also, there were only 3 line judges on the whole court. One calling the service line, and one for each sideline. The sideline judges stood on opposite ends of the court and had to call the whole line, even on the other side, plus the center line on the serve. The chair called the baselines. No review.
I love your analysis on Shelton. Very in depth and spot on. I have heard a lot about him on the The Mini Break Podcast I listen to. Alex Gruskin who does the podcast was raving about him so I had to check him out. Another player the podcast has also raved about is South Korean Kwon Soon-woo who defeated Marcos Giron in the 1st Round of the Atlanta Open yesterday. From what I saw of him he does have solid ground strokes, but can get into a funk and make a slew of errors in bunches.

I am also for Shelton going back to school, but I guess that will be determined by his success on the tour. I do however think he can upset one or two players if he is on his game at the USO. He is definitely someone to watch for the future.
Kwon took a set off Djokovic at Wimbledon, R1. Alex Gruskin lives in Indianapolis, where I am. :) He's a good guy and he's making moves - he's commentating on Tennis Channel in Atlanta this week, I think. I think he said T2, whatever that is. Maybe TC Plus?

I worry about Shelton in B5. It will be very impressive if he wins a match at the Open against a Top 100 player. He played US Open qualies last year and lost in R2 to.... Botic! Fairly close match. If Shelton had won, I wouldn't even know who Botic is.

by Cuckoo4Coco
meganfernandez wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:46 pm
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:35 pm

Kwon took a set off Djokovic at Wimbledon, R1. Alex Gruskin lives in Indianapolis, where I am. :) He's a good guy and he's making moves - he's commentating on Tennis Channel in Atlanta this week, I think. I think he said T2, whatever that is. Maybe TC Plus?

I worry about Shelton in B5. It will be very impressive if he wins a match at the Open against a Top 100 player. He played US Open qualies last year and lost in R2 to.... Botic! Fairly close match. If Shelton had won, I wouldn't even know who Botic is.
Kwon looked great at times in yesterday's match in Atlanta and other times looked awful. The Shelton match is about to come on now so we shall see how he does. Good thing you got to see who Botic was. :D

I love the podcast that Alex Gruskin does and yeah he is doing matches for T2 which has something to do with the Tennis Channel, but I have no idea how to get it. I have Tennis Plus with the Tennis Channel and that isn't it. I don't know what it is exactly. Alex Gruskin said on his podcast that he is living his dream doing these matches.

by ti-amie Great minds and all that. I just said in the tournament thread I think Shelton should be given a WC into Qualies. If he does well there he could make the first round. After that it's iffy for him. He needs to build up strength and muscle but looking at his arms I think they've started to do that. He can think on court and his net play is pretty good. He's listed at 6'3"

by meganfernandez
ti-amie wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:48 pm Great minds and all that. I just said in the tournament thread I think Shelton should be given a WC into Qualies. If he does well there he could make the first round. After that it's iffy for him. He needs to build up strength and muscle but looking at his arms I think they've started to do that. He can think on court and his net play is pretty good. He's listed at 6'3"
haha, that's funny! Or maybe I read that and subconsciously was just repeating what you said. I also thought his net play was pretty good, but he could have come in more behind his big groundies. It was a fast court, though. Maybe he didn't think he had enough time. 6'3 felt like a stretch standing next to him - he wasn't towering - but he's at least 6'0.

by ti-amie Thank you re his height. He just doesn't look 6'3" to me.

by Cuckoo4Coco He certainly doesn't look that tall to me at all. He doesn't even look like he is 6'0"

What is really weird is that Shelton is listed at 6'3" and Ramanathan is listed at 6'2". When they came together at the net Ramanathan was a least a few inches taller than Shelton.

by ti-amie

by ponchi101 I like it.

by meganfernandez
ti-amie wrote:
Is this Swiatek? I like the colors. One comment or said, “we all know she is going to show up in the 10x bigger version than this.” She does tend to go baggy.

So ready for US Open looks!!

by Cuckoo4Coco
meganfernandez wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:49 am
ti-amie wrote:
Is this Swiatek? I like the colors. One comment or said, “we all know she is going to show up in the 10x bigger version than this.” She does tend to go baggy.

So ready for US Open looks!!
It is Iga and I also like the Baby Blue look.

by ponchi101 So, first data points for the USO.
And Iga and Daniil, I would say, are not prohibitive favorites. At all.
Let's wait a bit more after Cincy.

by Canucklehead I honestly think you have to look at Nick Kyrgios as being someone to consider.

On the women's side, I haven't a clue.

by ponchi101 The number of real contenders on the ATP will be around 10. In the WTA, 25. None of whom will win, but #26 will.

by ashkor87 As usual, we disagree..on the men's side, there are only 4 real contenders- Medvedev, Kyrgios, Sinner and Nadal..on the women's , yes, more but 6-8 at most:
Swiatek, Osaka, Rybakina, Andreescu if the courts are slow, Leylah and Raducanu if they are fast. Add BHM to the mix ..nobody outside these is going to win!

by ponchi101 Whomever wins Montreal will be a contender. And the finalist too.
Same for Cincy (in the men's).
And, yes, our disagreement is expected by now :) Because: I see no way, whatsoever, that Osaka is a contender this year, nor Rybakina, and your faith in Raducanu is exemplary. If she draws any player ranked 33-40, she loses in the first round.
And I still will pick OTHER.

by Canucklehead I could come up with and post a list of players whom I believe will be contenders or win the US Open, but honestly all that will prove is how much I actually do not know about who is going to be the contenders or who is going to the Slam. ;)

by ponchi101
Canucklehead wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:02 am I could come up with and post a list of players whom I believe will be contenders or win the US Open, but honestly all that will prove is how much I actually do not know about who is going to be the contenders or who is going to the Slam. ;)
You just basically described a rite of passage for this site. The "Test of the Fumbler" ;)

by Canucklehead
ponchi101 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:11 am
Canucklehead wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:02 am I could come up with and post a list of players whom I believe will be contenders or win the US Open, but honestly all that will prove is how much I actually do not know about who is going to be the contenders or who is going to the Slam. ;)
You just basically described a rite of passage for this site. The "Test of the Fumbler" ;)
I could also post a list of like 15 to 20 players and if one of them does so happen to win the tournament, I can then say, "Oh look, I told you so." ;) When actually, I didn't have a snowball's chance in hell what I was talking about.

by ponchi101 Oh, we did that last year, on the women's side. Remember what happened? :bang:

by Canucklehead
ponchi101 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:18 am Oh, we did that last year, on the women's side. Remember what happened? :bang:
That looks like a severe headache is what happened. :lol:

by Deuce
ashkor87 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:30 am on the women's , yes, more but 6-8 at most:
Swiatek, Osaka :?: :!: :?: , Rybakina (ok, I can understand that one), Andreescu :?: :!: :?: if the courts are slow,
Leylah :?: :!: :?: and Raducanu :?: :!: :?: :!: :?: :!: :?: :roll: if they are fast. Add BHM to the mix (that's a stretch... but... ok) ..nobody outside these is going to win!
Yes - of course Leylah and Emma are among the few favourites this year - because they made the final last year, and so that qualifies them as favourites this year :roll: .
Especially because Emma's results are piss poor over the past 11 months, and Leylah is just returning from a stress fracture in her foot which kept her away from competitive matches for 2 months.

Indeed, all the criteria are there for them to be favourites!

by ashkor87 We shall see, won't we?

by ashkor87 Actually, Zheng should be considered, especially if the courts are slow..she showed her prowess at RG and again in Toronto .hits hard and deep, pure aggression...

by ashkor87
ponchi101 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:49 am Whomever wins Montreal will be a contender. And the finalist too.
Same for Cincy (in the men's).
And, yes, our disagreement is expected by now :) Because: I see no way, whatsoever, that Osaka is a contender this year, nor Rybakina, and your faith in Raducanu is exemplary. If she draws any player ranked 33-40, she loses in the first round.
And I still will pick OTHER.
Only if his name is Nadal...the only person who has won all 3 in the same year

by ponchi101 Serious here.
So, you are saying that if, for example, Tommy Paul takes Montreal by beating Kyrgios in the final (I don't know which side of the draw they are in right this moment) that would still mean NOTHING about his chances at the USO? A recent win on a similar surface would be meaningless.
But, at the same time, Raducanu should be considered a favorite because of last year's win, despite the fact she has done nothing since.
You are a tough customer, Ashkor. Anybody winning Canada or Cincy should have a few chips in his/her game to win the USO.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:52 pm Serious here.
So, you are saying that if, for example, Tommy Paul takes Montreal by beating Kyrgios in the final (I don't know which side of the draw they are in right this moment) that would still mean NOTHING about his chances at the USO? A recent win on a similar surface would be meaningless.
But, at the same time, Raducanu should be considered a favorite because of last year's win, despite the fact she has done nothing since.
You are a tough customer, Ashkor. Anybody winning Canada or Cincy should have a few chips in his/her game to win the USO.
Of course they do. Most semifinalists and finalists, too. We tend to focus only on winners - depends on how they won. Predicting who will win is a totally different story, and pretty much a fool's errand.

Strong results = form and confidence. B3/B5 and seven matches does make a big difference. On the men's side, the argument against this is that Djokovic and Nadal are heavy favorites regardless of their lead-up preparation. So I agree that a Canada or Cincy winner won't knock them off the favorite pedestal, but could be a 2nd-tier candidate. IT depends on who it is and who they beat. If Botic manages to win Cincy without beating a Top 5 player, for instance, I'm not sure I'd put him as a 2nd-tier favorite. If FAA does by beating Tsitsipas or Medvedev, I would.

Women's side has its own nuances. They don't go from B3 to B=5, but the parity balances out winning form.

by AshBartyfan I think Badosa could win this year.

by meganfernandez
meganfernandez wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:31 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:52 pm Serious here.
Of course they do. Most semifinalists and finalists, too.
Edit: Not PCB. :) I mean, could he, really?

by meganfernandez
AshBartyfan wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:05 pm I think Badosa could win this year.
Love her, so I'm curious why you think so. I wish! Don't know what made her retire mid-match in Toronto.

by AshBartyfan I saw her match against Gauff last week and I was truly impressed. Her game really suits to hardcourts. Hope she will recover soon.

by ponchi101
meganfernandez wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:46 pm ...

Edit: Not PCB. :) I mean, could he, really?
Two time USO SF P. Carreño Busta, who made one such SF as early as 2020, and was only one set away from the final?
Uhm, damn good question. Could this guy, with limited weapons, win the USO? Lleyton Hewitt, with limited weapons too, did. He would need to have other players take out some big guns, but PCB is solid. That is his sole excellent trait, but you have had solid players reach the final before. Hewitt, Chang, Pioline.
Tier 2, but this Open will be open, especially if Novak is finally unable to play.

by AcesAnnie I say Rafa has to be considered a favorite for the US Open. I imagine he has been taking care of his abdominal issue and will be 100% ready for the US Open. Medvedev can give him problems if they meet in the later rounds, but Rafa should be there in the end.

Someone on the ladies side who has a big, but erratic serve in Karolina Pliskova could also make waves in the tournament.

by ponchi101 Pliskova is one of those players that, right now, can go deep, can go out in the first round. Was a finalist, so she can play there. But I wonder if age has not caught on early with her.
This week says it all for Rafa. If he makes semis at Cincy, he will be my favorite for the USO. Short of that, and he will be packed with Medvedev, who HAS to make some noise this week.

by AcesAnnie
ponchi101 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:57 pm Pliskova is one of those players that, right now, can go deep, can go out in the first round. Was a finalist, so she can play there. But I wonder if age has not caught on early with her.
This week says it all for Rafa. If he makes semis at Cincy, he will be my favorite for the USO. Short of that, and he will be packed with Medvedev, who HAS to make some noise this week.
Even though Pliskova lost yesterday in the semis I still think she has the potential at the USO. Her serve will either take her far or take her out early.

Don't be surprised if Rafa doesn't win in Cincinnati, but still wins in the USO.

by ponchi101 Agree on that point. He will use Cincy as a test. I don't see him going 100% at Cincy, especially after that abs injury. But, if he uses it as a warm-up and a testing ground, and makes the semis, in Bo5 matches and with a day off, he will be a favorite.
Only thing at Cincy: he can leave as #1. And I have never believed any player that says s/he does not care about that number. He might be tempted to go all out if Daniil drops out early.

by ti-amie

by AcesAnnie
ponchi101 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:06 pm Agree on that point. He will use Cincy as a test. I don't see him going 100% at Cincy, especially after that abs injury. But, if he uses it as a warm-up and a testing ground, and makes the semis, in Bo5 matches and with a day off, he will be a favorite.
Only thing at Cincy: he can leave as #1. And I have never believed any player that says s/he does not care about that number. He might be tempted to go all out if Daniil drops out early.
I really want to see how he serves with the abs issue. I want to see if that issue has improved, I imagine it has over time since Wimbledon.

by ponchi101 More data points.
Barrettini must be counted as a possible winner at the USO; he is too good. But after his performances at Montreal and CIncy, I gather that he is stuck in Tier 3.

by AcesAnnie
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:35 pm More data points.
Barrettini must be counted as a possible winner at the USO; he is too good. But after his performances at Montreal and CIncy, I gather that he is stuck in Tier 3.
Berrettini played a tough match against Tiafoe, and had his chance to win the match. Tiafoe seemed to have more energy behind him and maybe that came from the crowd support he was getting in the match. Berrettini has the tools to take it deep into the USO, but I don't think he is a contender to win it all. I would make the same statement for Tiafoe.

by ponchi101 Tomorrow we get a look at Rafa and Daniil. Daniil is looking wobbly, let's see how Rafa's abs work.

by ponchi101 More data points.
Osaka out in 1R at Cincy. Together with the back issues at Toronto, she seems far from the form that could lead to a good USO. Of course, she now gets almost too weeks off, in which to train, and at the USO she can perhaps round herself into form with a couple of easy rounds (although not being seeded, she can draw a seed herself) but at the moment, it looks hard to put any money on her.

by AcesAnnie
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:36 pm More data points.
Osaka out in 1R at Cincy. Together with the back issues at Toronto, she seems far from the form that could lead to a good USO. Of course, she now gets almost too weeks off, in which to train, and at the USO she can perhaps round herself into form with a couple of easy rounds (although not being seeded, she can draw a seed herself) but at the moment, it looks hard to put any money on her.
Osaka is someone I would definitely not be putting my money on, if I was a betting woman. She seems to be in better spirits, but that isn't turning into results on the court. Maybe, like you stated the time off to practice and more focus for the USO will help.

by ponchi101 Bencic, out too. Reasonable showing at TRT, not so good here. Tier 2?

by AcesAnnie
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:01 pm Bencic, out too. Reasonable showing at TRT, not so good here. Tier 2?
I thought Bencic was looking good previously. Maybe she was a bit tired.

by meganfernandez
Ben R tweeted that the last time Osaka lost back-to-back R1s was in 2008, Cincy and Canada, and she then won the US Open. But she was 13-11 between IW and the USO in 2018. Is 2-5 between Miami (her last good result) and USO this year. Perhaps she does better with a coach.

by ponchi101 @ Aces. Bencic tired? Her last match was last Friday. I mean, if by now professional athletes need a week to recover from a regular three setter on Friday (62, 36, 36 to BHM in 2:11 hours), we are talking problems with conditioning.
And her previous tournament was Lausanne, in mid July. That does not seem to be an extreme load.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:14 pm @ Aces. Bencic tired? Her last match was last Friday. I mean, if by now professional athletes need a week to recover from a regular three setter on Friday (62, 36, 36 to BHM in 2:11 hours), we are talking problems with conditioning.
And her previous tournament was Lausanne, in mid July. That does not seem to be an extreme load.
Maybe Bencic had a wild time at a sports bar in Mason last night...

by AcesAnnie
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:14 pm @ Aces. Bencic tired? Her last match was last Friday. I mean, if by now professional athletes need a week to recover from a regular three setter on Friday (62, 36, 36 to BHM in 2:11 hours), we are talking problems with conditioning.
I understand that. Her conditioning should be in tip top shape. In my heyday, I was a pretty successful runner. I ran cross country & track & field for my high school and the community college I attended. I considered myself to be in pretty good shape at that time of my life, but there were some days where I just did not have it for some reason or another. It was not for lack of training or being tired, it was just not there that particular moment for me. That could be the case for Bencic.

by ti-amie
Interestingly I saw Osaka walking on court and I thought, in this exact sequence, "wow she's fitter than she has been in awhile" and then "she's going to lose".

by AcesAnnie Who here thinks a guy like Dan Evans has the make up to go deep at the USO? He did remarkably well in Montreal, and seemingly can play well on the hard courts. I don't know if he has enough to win the title, but he could upset a few of the top players along the way.

by meganfernandez
AcesAnnie wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:24 pm Who here thinks a guy like Dan Evans has the make up to go deep at the USO? He did remarkably well in Montreal, and seemingly can play well on the hard courts. I don't know if he has enough to win the title, but he could upset a few of the top players along the way.
Sure, he could. He's fit enough, causes trouble for a lot of different types of players. It's always going to be hard, but I think there are more opportunities now for players beyond the top 5, especially if Novak doesn't play.

I don't think the issue is whether he CAN. It's that there are so many players of his ilk who can.

by ponchi101 He can beat a top 20 player. I can't see Evans doing much else.

by AcesAnnie
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:33 pm He can beat a top 20 player. I can't see Evans doing much else.
He just beat Rublev who is a top 10 player.

by ponchi101
AcesAnnie wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:47 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:33 pm He can beat a top 20 player. I can't see Evans doing much else.
Forgot about that. That would be his ceiling.
Rublev is another player that is going nowhere lately.

by AcesAnnie
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:45 pm
AcesAnnie wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:47 pm
Forgot about that. That would be his ceiling.
Rublev is another player that is going nowhere lately.
Okay, I don't see Dan Evans winning the USO or anything like that. I just thought he might be able to knock off like two players along the way to like a QF appearance.

by ponchi101 Oh, not TWO players. He can knock one, for sure. He can take out Shapo, Rublev, RBA, BVDZ, players around there. Those are his peers, and he can play them.
Two such players would be a bit too much.

by AcesAnnie
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:53 pm Oh, not TWO players. He can knock one, for sure. He can take out Shapo, Rublev, RBA, BVDZ, players around there. Those are his peers, and he can play them.
What about Taylor Fritz, another guy he just recently defeated in Montreal?

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:53 pm Oh, not TWO players. He can knock one, for sure. He can take out Shapo, Rublev, RBA, BVDZ, players around there. Those are his peers, and he can play them.
Why, though? If he can beat one, why can't he beat two? Or three? With days off between?

by AcesAnnie
meganfernandez wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:18 pm
Why, though? If he can beat one, why can't he beat two? Or three? With days off between?
I agree, the guy seems like he has a lot of intensity in his game which is a huge asset at the USO. If he gets the crowd going and behind him in matches, anything can happen.

by ponchi101
Because he himself is ranked 23, and that means he gets one round of a higher seed (top 16) and then one round of maybe another player around his own ranking.
And, he is still Evans. A fine player, but not a great player. Now, of course, watch him makes the semis.

by AcesAnnie
ponchi101 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:46 am
Because he himself is ranked 23, and that means he gets one round of a higher seed (top 16) and then one round of maybe another player around his own ranking.
And, he is still Evans. A fine player, but not a great player. Now, of course, watch him makes the semis.
You also have to take into consideration what happens within the draw around him. If he somehow gets lucky, then he can sneak through rounds without difficulty.

by Suliso
ashkor87 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:30 am Swiatek, Osaka, Rybakina, Andreescu if the courts are slow, Leylah and Raducanu if they are fast. Add BHM to the mix ..nobody outside these is going to win!
I'd be willing to bet some money that none of these will win this year. In fact only Swiatek stands a serious chance.

by ashkor87
Suliso wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:16 am
ashkor87 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:30 am Swiatek, Osaka, Rybakina, Andreescu if the courts are slow, Leylah and Raducanu if they are fast. Add BHM to the mix ..nobody outside these is going to win!
I'd be willing to bet some money that none of these will win this year. In fact only Swiatek stands a serious chance.
So who would you bet money on?

by Suliso Not sure... Halep doesn't look too bad, but in general I'm ready to be surprised. I only say it will be someone ranked within the top 25.

by AcesAnnie I am throwing my support at the USO to these two ladies(Shelby Rogers & Karolina Pliskova).

by ti-amie I don't see Halep winning the Open. Her emotional state could collapse at any moment and of all the coaches she's had only Cahill seemed to be able to keep her on an even keel.

Of course now she'll romp...

by AcesAnnie Pliskova had a disappointing loss today against Mertens, but still I think she is up for a good run in the USO.

by jazzyg Pliskova is a has-been.

Her Wimbledon result last year was a total outlier, as pretty much every event she has played in the last two years has proven. I didn't think she was good enough in her prime to win a slam, and she sure as heck isn't now.

For someone who is supposedly mentally unstable, Halep has won a ton of matches over the years. Cahill did an excellent job with her, but she has done quite well without him, too. The best she ever played at Roland Garros was in 2014 when she made the final without losing a set and forced Sharapova to play the best match I've ever seen her play on clay to beat her in the final. Cahill wasn't her official coach at Wimbledon in 2019, either, although she called him for advice. To win a slam, Halep always will need a little help from her opponents because she doesn't have the easier finishing power too many of them possess.

by ponchi101 If she is a has-been, she is a dangerous one. With that serve, some days she can simply win by it.
So, no, she won't win the USO. But she can take out somebody that could.

by AcesAnnie Like ponchi101 stated, Pliskova has one of the best serves on the women's tour, and if that serve is on she can win matches with it. She may not ultimately take the championship at the USO, but I guarantee you she is someone the players do not want to see in an upcoming match.

by ashkor87
AcesAnnie wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:32 am Like ponchi101 stated, Pliskova has one of the best serves on the women's tour, and if that serve is on she can win matches with it. She may not ultimately take the championship at the USO, but I guarantee you she is someone the players do not want to see in an upcoming match.
And a lethal forehand too .she is a very good player..her only problem is she is a bit slow, especially on the first step....maybe lacks the 'predator' mindset!

by ponchi101 Data points. Does Rafa's loss last night affect his outlook? On the one hand, it was a well played 3 setter, after almost a month and more of no activity. The key issue for him was how were the abs feeling.
On the other hand: he lost to Coric, who has never been a great hard court player, and who is also coming back from injury. So, that was not good.

by AcesAnnie
ashkor87 wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:48 am
AcesAnnie wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:32 am Like ponchi101 stated, Pliskova has one of the best serves on the women's tour, and if that serve is on she can win matches with it. She may not ultimately take the championship at the USO, but I guarantee you she is someone the players do not want to see in an upcoming match.
And a lethal forehand too .she is a very good player..her only problem is she is a bit slow, especially on the first step....maybe lacks the 'predator' mindset!
That she does. One thing that really lets her down sometimes is her tremendous serve. Way too many double faults, but I guess that comes with the territory of having a big serve.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:05 pm Data points. Does Rafa's loss last night affect his outlook? On the one hand, it was a well played 3 setter, after almost a month and more of no activity. The key issue for him was how were the abs feeling.
On the other hand: he lost to Coric, who has never been a great hard court player, and who is also coming back from injury. So, that was not good.
The L itself, no. Depends on what it revealed about his ab. The double-fault on set point in the first set was troubling. If it's hampering him a bit, a couple tough B5 matches like the Fritz quarter in Wimbledon and he could be out. I like Medvedev's chances better.

by ti-amie
jazzyg wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:08 am Pliskova is a has-been.

Her Wimbledon result last year was a total outlier, as pretty much every event she has played in the last two years has proven. I didn't think she was good enough in her prime to win a slam, and she sure as heck isn't now.

For someone who is supposedly mentally unstable, Halep has won a ton of matches over the years. Cahill did an excellent job with her, but she has done quite well without him, too. The best she ever played at Roland Garros was in 2014 when she made the final without losing a set and forced Sharapova to play the best match I've ever seen her play on clay to beat her in the final. Cahill wasn't her official coach at Wimbledon in 2019, either, although she called him for advice. To win a slam, Halep always will need a little help from her opponents because she doesn't have the easier finishing power too many of them possess.
I agree with that sentiment. She did work on her movement and it improved somewhat but when push comes to shove she is still the Pliskobot. If she'd been able to generate more speed and better movement she might've been a multiple Slam contender because she really wants it.

by ti-amie
meganfernandez wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:58 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:05 pm Data points. Does Rafa's loss last night affect his outlook? On the one hand, it was a well played 3 setter, after almost a month and more of no activity. The key issue for him was how were the abs feeling.
The L itself, no. Depends on what it revealed about his ab. The double-fault on set point in the first set was troubling. If it's hampering him a bit, a couple tough B5 matches like the Fritz quarter in Wimbledon and he could be out. I like Medvedev's chances better.

by ponchi101 Well, Mr. O'Connor, you are coming back from an abs injury. You don't start serving at 100%.

by Suliso I'm officially taking away Iga's USO favorite "title". She's currently nothing of the sort, not even first among equals. I now predict R16 or earlier exit.

by ponchi101 Well, you beat me to it. I know Keys is a fine player, has a more firepower than Iga, and the match is not over, but I can't see Iga as a favorite over Halep (Toronto) and whomever wins Cincy.
Again, not the losses. Anybody can lose. But the scores in her last losses have been lopsided, to say the least.

by meganfernandez
Suliso wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:15 pm I'm officially taking away Iga's USO favorite "title". She's currently nothing of the sort, not even first among equals. I now predict R16 or earlier exit.
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:18 pm Well, you beat me to it. I know Keys is a fine player, has a more firepower than Iga, and the match is not over, but I can't see Iga as a favorite over Halep (Toronto) and whomever wins Cincy.
Again, not the losses. Anybody can lose. But the scores in her last losses have been lopsided, to say the least.
Match isn't over!

by Suliso Surprisingly it isn't over yet, but that doesn't really affect my judgment. It's hardly based on this match alone.

by ponchi101 What Suliso says. Maddie is a fantastic striker of the ball, but she is also a bit all over the map. Iga is making a good late push but this was a match that in April would have been over a while back, in Iga's favor.
She is just not playing well enough to be a favorite for the USO. Especially, to be a favorite the way she was for RG.

by Suliso Someone might ask who are the favorites then? No strong ones, but I would pick both finalists at Canadian Open and Cinncinati as slightly ahead of the pack.

by ponchi101 I am waiting for the end of these two tournaments and I will then, still, be very iffy because building a streak of matches in the WTA is almost impossible these days. That was the reason Iga's 37 streak was so impressive; it is very odd nowadays.
Won't be surprised if Halep losses (@ USO) in 3R. If Ons is gone by 3R, won't be either. Kontaveit also just lost to Zhang, a good player but in theory, the wrong winner of that match.
Osaka has not been the same since the mental issues surfaced. Raducanu, well, we have discussed that ad-nauseum. Leylah ditto.
There will be a betting favorite. But it will simply be a numerical factor for bettors.

by ashkor87 Cincy and Canadian have not usually been good indicators of how someone will do at the uSO, though..

by AcesAnnie
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:49 pm I am waiting for the end of these two tournaments and I will then, still, be very iffy because building a streak of matches in the WTA is almost impossible these days. That was the reason Iga's 37 streak was so impressive; it is very odd nowadays.
Won't be surprised if Halep losses (@ USO) in 3R. If Ons is gone by 3R, won't be either. Kontaveit also just lost to Zhang, a good player but in theory, the wrong winner of that match.
Osaka has not been the same since the mental issues surfaced. Raducanu, well, we have discussed that ad-nauseum. Leylah ditto.
There will be a betting favorite. But it will simply be a numerical factor for bettors.
Raducanu just lost to Pegula tonight and is among the many women that could win the USO. I really don't know if there is a clear favorite on the women's side. I really think a number of the ladies can come out on top.

by ti-amie My daughter waits to see who is standing in the second week before she starts paying attention to the WTA draw.

by ashkor87 Time to create a 'Pegula test' like the 'Halep test' - only a really good player, champion, can beat Pegula...but a champion would beat her, for sure..so she has become a benchmark...

by ponchi101 I would not go that way. She can beat anybody, but several players can beat her too. I don' think she has the serve to remain competitive for several matches.

by Suliso
ti-amie wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:15 am My daughter waits to see who is standing in the second week before she starts paying attention to the WTA draw.
Sure, but that is totally unhelpful in predicting the winner now. :lol:

by Suliso In almost all cases the eventual winner had done something of note before in the same year. One could say that even about Raducanu with her surprising emergence at Wimbledon. That's why I said Canada and Cincinnati finalists. If you wish could also take into account Miami and IW finalists, but that was perhaps too long ago.

by ponchi101 I was trying to find some exceptions to that, and of course you have Rybakina recently at W. But, for the USO, it holds nicely. Bianca was having a fantastic season on hard courts, Osaka was rising, you mention Raducanu's good showing at W. Rybakina before W did nothing, but fairly the exception. Iga crushed the clay court season, Barty was playing well before her Aussie.
So, so far we can say:
Halep, because she won Toronto. BHM did well. Here at Cincy, I say Maddie is playing good tennis, Sabalenka is an entire guess but can go out in 1R or all the way, Rybakina is still around, Pegula.... I keep being surprised by her. Tomljanovic does not have the track record.
By now, I say we are stuck with eliminating some players. I can't see Iga anymore as any sort of favorite, Naomi neither, I think Andreescu made a big mistake not playing here and not getting matches under her belt. Leylah looked very lost on some stretches of her loss in Cincy.
My actual problem will be the WHO YOU GOT poll. I get only 9 players to choose because I always include OTHER. And I know I will be missing a few because I can't do the ATP side: post the first 9 + OTHER. In the WTA, it does not work that way.

by jazzyg I'm not on the BHM train. I watched her play an entire match for the first time against Halep in the Canadian Open final, and even though it was close, I came away less impressed with her than with Pegula in her loss to Halep the day before.

Maybe it's my bias against positive body language after hearing commentators rip Halep for her negative body language over the years and ignore all the times she has won after the negative display while focusing on the few times she has collapsed (the better tell of trouble is when Halep rushes between points, but now I'm getting off point and hijacking my own post). BHM shows incredibly positive body language like Badosa used to, but it's all fake. I loved when CiCi Bellis saw through it during the third set and said the behavior was all coached and that she clearly was mentally fragile at the moment and Halep should take advantage of it, which she did. BMH hits with a lot of topspin, which gives some opponents problems, but she is not a consistent finisher from the baseline and does not move particularly well. She's very confident right now, but I don't see a potential slam winner in her game.

by Suliso I think you'll need to be more discerning for WTA than just going by the rankings.

by ponchi101
jazzyg wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:38 pm I'm not on the BHM train. I watched her play an entire match for the first time against Halep in the Canadian Open final, and even though it was close, I came away less impressed with her than with Pegula in her loss to Halep the day before.

Maybe it's my bias against positive body language after hearing commentators rip Halep for her negative body language over the years and ignore all the times she has won after the negative display while focusing on the few times she has collapsed (the better tell of trouble is when Halep rushes between points, but now I'm getting off point and hijacking my own post). BHM shows incredibly positive body language like Badosa used to, but it's all fake. I loved when CiCi Bellis saw through it during the third set and said the behavior was all coached and that she clearly was mentally fragile at the moment and Halep should take advantage of it, which she did. BMH hits with a lot of topspin, which gives some opponents problems, but she is not a consistent finisher from the baseline and does not move particularly well. She's very confident right now, but I don't see a potential slam winner in her game.
Would you agree to TIER 2 contender? "Given a good draw and a bit of luck, she can make it far" sort of reasoning?

by jazzyg Keys, on the other hand, I still believe can win a slam. It would not surprise me if she loses in the first round of the U.S. Open and her form has been generally bad for a few years, but the chance she has is SHE HITS THE BALL HARDER THAN ANY FEMALE PLAYER WHO EVER LIVED and harder on average than the majority of the ATP players. When she keeps the dang thing between the lines, she's virtually unbeatable, even though it almost never happens enough for her to beat elite players who are playing well.

I've never been more surprised at a tennis result than her beatdown by Stephens in that US Open final five years ago, although their matchups in the next two years revealed it was the right outcome and I was light years away from sussing out their games correctly. But I still feel like Keys is capable of stringing together seven wins in a row if she can stay healthy. Novotna finally did it at Wimbledon after it looked like her chance had passed. and I have a feeling Keys will eventually do it, too.

by jazzyg
ponchi101 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:44 pm
Would you agree to TIER 2 contender? "Given a good draw and a bit of luck, she can make it far" sort of reasoning?
Yes, because I can come with concrete reasons why almost everyone will not win the US Open, but someone will win in. Maybe she just had a bad day finishing points against Halep and can do it on good days.

by ponchi101 I would love for Maddie to make it, but it is as you say. She simply cannot control her own pace.
She reminds me of Fernando Gonzalez. All the power. Good mover. The FH was a monster. And yet, there would always be a match in which the balls would all land out.

by Deuce
jazzyg wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:38 pm I'm not on the BHM train. I watched her play an entire match for the first time against Halep in the Canadian Open final, and even though it was close, I came away less impressed with her than with Pegula in her loss to Halep the day before.

^ On the subject of 'coached' positive body language... On a practice court, I once observed none other than Nigel Sears coaching Cirstea on when to 'fist pump' during a match. I found it rather ridiculous.
jazzyg wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:46 pm Keys, on the other hand, I still believe can win a slam. It would not surprise me if she loses in the first round of the U.S. Open and her form has been generally bad for a few years, but the chance she has is SHE HITS THE BALL HARDER THAN ANY FEMALE PLAYER WHO EVER LIVED and harder on average than the majority of the ATP players. When she keeps the dang thing between the lines, she's virtually unbeatable, even though it almost never happens enough for her to beat elite players who are playing well.

I've never been more surprised at a tennis result than her beatdown by Stephens in that US Open final five years ago, although their matchups in the next two years revealed it was the right outcome and I was light years away from sussing out their games correctly. But I still feel like Keys is capable of stringing together seven wins in a row if she can stay healthy. Novotna finally did it at Wimbledon after it looked like her chance had passed. and I have a feeling Keys will eventually do it, too.
^ The problem, of course, is that power and control are somewhat mutually exclusive. Despite the fact that every racquet on the market promises everyone "more power and control", it is quite difficult to combine the two. The hardest hitters are often the ones with the least control. And so it's no surprise that Keys (and Gonzo) are/were incredibly inconsistent. Because the more power one hits with, the more difficult it is to control.

by ashkor87
ponchi101 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:42 am I would not go that way. She can beat anybody, but several players can beat her too. I don' think she has the serve to remain competitive for several matches.
what I am getting at is - she is reliable, she plays consistently at a certain (high) level - nobody but a good player can beat her, she is not going to lose to a mediocre player.. Halep is like that but at a much higher level, of course..

by AcesAnnie I really think it is time to put Caroline Garcia on the radar for the USO.

by ponchi101
ashkor87 wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:38 am
ponchi101 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:42 am I would not go that way. She can beat anybody, but several players can beat her too. I don' think she has the serve to remain competitive for several matches.
what I am getting at is - she is reliable, she plays consistently at a certain (high) level - nobody but a good player can beat her, she is not going to lose to a mediocre player.. Halep is like that but at a much higher level, of course..
But look at the result yesterday. She lost to Garcia, 1 & 5. And Garcia is almost, by definition, mediocre (the TRUE definition: middle of the road, unexceptional). It was a relatively easy score and I know that Garcia is playing good tennis (Acesannie is talking about including her as a possibility for the USO), but we have known Garcia for years; she is not a force of nature.
Pegula is just another of the 25 players that can win this. Nothing more.

by ponchi101
AcesAnnie wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:05 pm I really think it is time to put Caroline Garcia on the radar for the USO.
And we have seen her do this before. Three, four weeks of very good tennis, then she is out by 3R at the next slam.

by AcesAnnie
ponchi101 wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:20 pm
AcesAnnie wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:05 pm I really think it is time to put Caroline Garcia on the radar for the USO.
And we have seen her do this before. Three, four weeks of very good tennis, then she is out by 3R at the next slam.
I guess it will be a wait and see game for her.

by ponchi101 And, you see? Here is another problem with trying to figure out the WTA.
Kvitova is in the finals of Cincy. She is a slam champion, she has reached a hard court slam final, she is a very good player, that lately has been fading away. But, just before Wimby, she won Eastbourne only to lose in 1R, and now, again, she is in the final of a big tournament.
But we have been bitten by this dog so many times. As much as I like Petra, she is as unreliable as can be. She can win tomorrow and again, do the disappearing act in NYC, as she has done so many times. Do we go by the short term data set (WON/Finalist Cincy) or do we go by the long term data set (her last good slam appearance came in 2020).
And the same can be said about Maddie. Do you go short term data set (SF at Cincy) or do we go for the long term data set (has not been close to a slam final since her ONLY final in 2017).
It is so difficult to make a proper choice. And, in these cases, I usually go by the long term data set, unless some recent important data trump that one.

by Suliso How long is long term? Very long term Kvitova is very good. Not that I'd bet any money on her winning another Slam this late in her career. On the other hand who would I bet on???

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote:
That’s a lot of players, esp WTA. Just the sport.

by ponchi101
Suliso wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:34 pm How long is long term? Very long term Kvitova is very good. Not that I'd bet any money on her winning another Slam this late in her career. On the other hand who would I bet on???
Long term in the WTA would be the last 5 years. TAKING IN CONSIDERATION, for example, recent very bad trends like Osaka's 1 1/2 year drought (which is explainable). Over the last 5 years, Naomi has been the best player, but we know that she looks iffy for the USO.
Short term is about 6 months. The good 6 months that Megan is mentioning about Garcia.
And, for example, very short term. Rybakina has had the best last two months of anybody. But she has returned to being what she is: a very good, top 25 player. But, as you say, I would not bet much on her doing extremely well at the USO.
But that has been the subject for this topic. Look at how little we have spoken about the ATP. We are a bit more sure there.

by Suliso
ponchi101 wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:13 pm But that has been the subject for this topic. Look at how little we have spoken about the ATP. We are a bit more sure there.
I'm not super sure about ATP either. It's just that I've become bored with it. Djokovic and Nadal have really overstayed their welcome for me... Kind of like Graf or Navratilova for women in the old days.

by ponchi101 But even then: we are not talking 25 possible players winning it. we are talking 5-6.
Graf overstayed for you? She retired at 30! ;) A young girl, by today's standards.

by AcesAnnie I get it that finals become stale when we see Nadal & Djokovic or Federer or Sampras & Agassi, McEnroe,Borg, Connors all the time. Even on the women's side it was that way with Graf & Seles for a time and Evert & Navratilova before that. Yes, it does become stale, but the matches are really great quality tennis. Just look at the names I posted above, so many greats & legends of the game. I don't even have Serena in there.

by ti-amie The point about the quality of the tennis played by top players past and present is important. I watched a lot of the WTA this week and those long close to three hour matches happened because neither player knew how to close out a set let alone a match and not two players playing top level tennis. It's sad to watch. Keys/Kvitova was one of the best played this week and that's from me who thought Kvitova's best days were behind her. And even in that match it was obvious once it went three sets who would win.

by AcesAnnie
ponchi101 wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:31 pm And, you see? Here is another problem with trying to figure out the WTA.
Kvitova is in the finals of Cincy. She is a slam champion, she has reached a hard court slam final, she is a very good player, that lately has been fading away. But, just before Wimby, she won Eastbourne only to lose in 1R, and now, again, she is in the final of a big tournament.
But we have been bitten by this dog so many times. As much as I like Petra, she is as unreliable as can be. She can win tomorrow and again, do the disappearing act in NYC, as she has done so many times. Do we go by the short term data set (WON/Finalist Cincy) or do we go by the long term data set (her last good slam appearance came in 2020).
And the same can be said about Maddie. Do you go short term data set (SF at Cincy) or do we go for the long term data set (has not been close to a slam final since her ONLY final in 2017).
It is so difficult to make a proper choice. And, in these cases, I usually go by the long term data set, unless some recent important data trump that one.
Some players all it takes is a good roll in which Caroline Garcia is on at the moment to get some momentum going. She is certainly doing it at the correct time. She is now on the verge of defeating another strong player in Sabalenka to reach the final in Cincy, and could win the entire event tomorrow. That also in turn is most definitely going to raise her confidence level heading into the Slam. All things are pointing positive for her.

by jazzyg It was not obvious Kvitova would win when she was down 0-40 at 4-3 in the 3rd set.

That is hindsight analysis at its maximum.

by ti-amie Despite some of her recent showings Kvitova is stronger mentally than Keys when push comes to shove. I thought that Petra would find a way and that Madison would panic and get tight. It wasn't "obvious" in the sense you mean it but having watched both women over the years I thought that Petra would win no matter what.

by ashkor87 Whoever wins Cinci is likely to lose early at the USO - two reasons for this..peaking too early and winning a tournament is draining, emotionally and physically..only someone as great as a Serena can win cinci and the uso one after the other...

This year, maybe another confounding factor- court speed at the USO may be quite different from that at Cinci..once you have gotten into a certain rhythm, it is hard to adjust to a different one
These 'warm-up' events should actually be referred to as 'draining' events, 'derailing' ...

by meganfernandez
ashkor87 wrote:Whoever wins Cinci is likely to lose early at the USO - two reasons for this..peaking too early and winning a tournament is draining, emotionally and physically..only someone as great as a Serena can win cinci and the uso one after the other...

This year, maybe another confounding factor- court speed at the USO may be quite different from that at Cinci..once you have gotten into a certain rhythm, it is hard to adjust to a different one
These 'warm-up' events should actually be referred to as 'draining' events, 'derailing' ...
They have a week before the Open starts and sometimes 8 or 9 days until they play R1. More than enough time to rest. I think the NYC atmosphere - on and off the court - is a bigger factor in who does well in NY. And other X factors.

I don’t believe in peaking. :)

by ashkor87
meganfernandez wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:56 am
ashkor87 wrote:Whoever wins Cinci is likely to lose early at the USO - two reasons for this..peaking too early and winning a tournament is draining, emotionally and physically..only someone as great as a Serena can win cinci and the uso one after the other...

They have a week before the Open starts and sometimes 8 or 9 days until they play R1. More than enough time to rest. I think the NYC atmosphere - on and off the court - is a bigger factor in who does well in NY. And other X factors.

If not peaking, what explains similar dynamics between, say, Italian and the French? is the atmosphere in Paris all that different from Rome? I don't think so..

by meganfernandez
ashkor87 wrote:
meganfernandez wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:56 am

If not peaking, what explains similar dynamics between, say, Italian and the French? is the atmosphere in Paris all that different from Rome? I don't think so..
Similar dynamics being the Rome winner bombs out of the French because s/he peaked too soon?

The explanation is probably just circumstances. The nature of narrow competition. The many X factors in individual sports. There are a lot of examples of players doing well before a Slam and then at the Slam.

I think players manage their energy, bodies and X factors so that they are in optimal shape for certain events, but if X is the goal (winning a Slam), I don’t think they are trying for X minus 50% three weeks out, then X minus 30% two weeks out, then X minus 10% starting the Slam. I think they want to play as close to X level as much as possible and then manage the contributing factors accordingly.

Just my opinion. I’d love to hear players talk about it.

by ponchi101 I don't believe in peaking either.
So, what should the players do? Lose on purpose on, let's say, Friday? Don't play any warm up? Becker, a total nobody at the time (ranked 65) won Queens in 1985. Three weeks later, he won it all. Graf never played a single grass court tournament prior to W. She did well.
In 1995, she played NO tournaments at all in between RG and W, and then before the USO. She swept.
It varies, from individual to individual.

by ashkor87 Queens and Wimbledon is a good example for me to quote, actually..when McEnroe won both, he was the first to do it in a hundred years!

by Suliso Most of Federer's Wimbledon titles were preceded by a Halle title.

by Suliso It's very difficult to pinpoint who will win, particularly in WTA. I have an easier question to consider: will it be a first time winner or someone who has won a Slam before?

by meganfernandez
Suliso wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:29 am It's very difficult to pinpoint who will win, particularly in WTA. I have an easier question to consider: will it be a first time winner or someone who has won a Slam before?
My first instinct is to go with a First Timer, continuing the trend of 4 of the last 5 Opens. But after some analysis, I'm going with Repeater. While 14 of the top 20 haven't won a Slam and a lot of the Slam winners haven't done much lately, I think my roster of Repeaters is stronger than the First Timers. I also value experience.

Top Repeat Contenders are:
Swiatek
Rybakina
Halep
Ostapenko (yep... she's winning matches this year and always believes. Dangerous.)
Osaka (yeah, I think she can turn it on in NY if she finds a groove and the draw breaks right; she's apparently healthy)
*Barty - is there a wild card left? She might take a look at things and go "I could rock up and win"
(I can't put Kvitova on the list given her history in NY... also leaving off Muguruza, Raducanu, Andreescu, Azarenka, Stephens, Kerber, Vondrousova, Krejcikova, Serena)

Top First-Timers are:
Garcia
Gauff
Jabeur
Pegula
Pliskova
Fernandez
Haddad Maia
Bencic
Sabalenka
Kasatkina
Keys
Zheng - the top surprise contender
(I'm leaving off Badosa, Sakkari, Kontaveit, Anisimova (injury), Mertens, Rogers)

by meganfernandez
Suliso wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:23 am Most of Federer's Wimbledon titles were preceded by a Halle title.
I'd probably eliminate the Big 3 for the sake of analysis. They have super powers. :) I'm sure they all did very well in both the clay Masters and the French in the same year (not just winning, but semis and finals). Thiem, too.

by ponchi101 Starting with Flavia's 2015 USO, there have been 15 first time winners out of the last 27 Slams played. So I am going for first time winner, again.
I don't think today's final will change my way of seeing this so, for me:
Halep 10%
Kvitova 10%
Swiatek 8%
Kontaveit 5%
Osaka 5%
Garcia 5%
BHM 5%
Raducanu 2%
Field 50%

On the men's:
Rafa: 30%
Medvedev: 25%
Tsitsipas: 20%
PCB: 10%
Field: 15%

I think Rafa has the best chance of navigating a draw, especially with the day off. And being the only Big 3 guy left there, he will get to play enough under a roof, so the weather will have no effect on his schedule.

by AcesAnnie My top 5 contenders on each side for the USO

Women
Pliskova
Swiatek
Garcia
Halep
Rogers

Men
Medvedev
Nadal
Tsitsipas
Hurkacz
Paul

by ashkor87
ponchi101 wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:32 pm Starting with Flavia's 2015 USO, there have been 15 first time winners out of the last 27 Slams played. So I am going for first time winner, again.
Halep 10%
Kvitova 10%
Swiatek 8%
Kontaveit 5%
Osaka 5%
Garcia 5%
BHM 5%
Raducanu 2%
Field 50%

On the men's:

I think Rafa has the best chance of navigating a draw, especially with the day off. And being the only Big 3 guy left there, he will get to play enough under a roof, so the weather will have no effect on his schedule.
Field 50% ?! Who is left?! Only Rybakina and Leylah...!! And no Kyrgios? PcB higher than Sinner?

by ashkor87
AcesAnnie wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:26 pm My top 5 contenders on each side for the USO

Women
Pliskova
Swiatek
Garcia
Halep
Rogers

Men
Medvedev
Nadal
Tsitsipas
Hurkacz
Paul
Not Coco? You would rate Rogers that high? And Paul above Kyrgios?

by Suliso Why only them? There are 50+ other players still unmentioned from the top 100.

by AcesAnnie
ashkor87 wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:34 pm
AcesAnnie wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:26 pm My top 5 contenders on each side for the USO

Women
Pliskova
Swiatek
Garcia
Halep
Rogers

Men
Medvedev
Nadal
Tsitsipas
Hurkacz
Paul
Not Coco? You would rate Rogers that high? And Paul above Kyrgios?
The reason Rogers and Paul are in there is because they are my favorite players, and I have to have an American player to represent each side. With Coco, I think she is really hit or miss. She can look great for a few matches and then look awful the next. I am afraid of what Nick Kyrgios will show up. If it is the 10% Nick, then he is not going to stick around very long.

by ponchi101
ashkor87 wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:33 pm ...

Field 50% ?! Who is left?! Only Rybakina and Leylah...!! And no Kyrgios? PcB higher than Sinner?
WTA left: Rybakina, Leylah, Sabalenka, Sakkari, Badosa, Kasatkina, Keys, on and on. I keep saying, it will be a surprise winner.
Sinner just lost a totally winnable match against FAA. Both of them are missing from what I say. Hurkacz, a fine hard court player, lost to PCB. PCB, I am only putting him in because he won Montreal.
Kyrgios. The same story as always. He threw away his match this week, so why should we assume that "oh, he will be motivated at the USO". I admit it: I have no idea what motivates the guy. So maybe is motivation will be there, maybe it won't. But he remains unpredictable as always.

by Suliso Full list of possible WTA winners (95% probability) - the entire top 20 + Pliskova, Kvitova, Garcia, Anisimova, Rybakina, Azarenka, Alexandrova, Riske, Rogers, Mertens, Bouzkova, Osaka, Vondrousova, Tomljanovic, Andreescu, Kerber, Stephens, Giorgi.

So we're at 38 candidates.

by Suliso For men I'd be more restrictive and stop at - Medvedev, Nadal, Alcaraz, Tsitsipas, FAA, Fritz, Nortie and Sinner (8).

by ponchi101
Suliso wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:04 pm Full list of possible WTA winners (95% probability) - the entire top 20 + Pliskova, Kvitova, Garcia, Anisimova, Rybakina, Azarenka, Alexandrova, Riske, Rogers, Mertens, Bouzkova, Osaka, Vondrousova, Tomljanovic, Andreescu, Kerber, Stephens, Giorgi.

So we're at 38 candidates.
Changing players from your list would be splitting hairs. We basically agree.
I mean, I will even give Garbiñe a shot.

by patrick
ponchi101 wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:32 pm Starting with Flavia's 2015 USO, there have been 15 first time winners out of the last 27 Slams played. So I am going for first time winner, again.
Halep 10%
Kvitova 10%
Swiatek 8%
Kontaveit 5%
Osaka 5%
Garcia 5%
BHM 5%
Raducanu 2%
Field 50%

On the men's:

However, Wimbledon was full of repeat winners in that time frame until Rybakina. 2013 was the last time Wimbledon had a first-time winner in Bartoli.

Out of those 15, 11 came from French and USO.

by ponchi101 Going a bit into semantics, but Wimbledon has had a FIRST TIME WIMBLEDON winner for the last five editions. Sure, they had slams in other events, but it is still very mixed.
USO: starting with Flavia, 5 out of the last 6, and that was because Naomi won it twice. Uhm, more data for a new 1st time winner (either EVER or just USO, which would include Petra or Simona).

by ti-amie I still can't see Petra winning the US Open. The heat and humidity usually get to her but her survival in that semi vs Keys impressed me. If she does manage to win in New York I wouldn't be upset.

by Suliso I provided 30+ potential winners, but that list will be winnowed to ca 6-8 after the first 2 rounds. Some of the "favorites" will have lost outright and with others it will be clear that they are not playing well enough.

by AcesAnnie
ti-amie wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:29 pm I still can't see Petra winning the US Open. The heat and humidity usually get to her but her survival in that semi vs Keys impressed me. If she does manage to win in New York I wouldn't be upset.
Petra is about to lose the 1st set to Garcia. Caroline Garcia is playing right now and at the right time some fantastic tennis. She seems to be taking on anyone who is opposite her on the court and taking them down. I cannot predict how long this streak will last, or if the streak will go far into the USO, but if this quality of tennis continues from her she is going to go far.

by ponchi101 1R-2R probable losers:
Badosa, Jabeur, Mugu, Emma, Leylah, BHM, Krejcikova, Teichmann, Anisimova (injury), Trevisan, Riske, Mertens.
Giorgi.

PROBABLE. I hope I am wrong in many of these cases.

by AcesAnnie
ponchi101 wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:53 pm 1R-2R probable losers:
Badosa, Jabeur, Mugu, Emma, Leylah, BHM, Krejcikova, Teichmann, Anisimova (injury), Trevisan, Riske, Mertens.
Giorgi.

I would also add Kontaveit to that list.

by ponchi101 I just simply cannot add Anett to any losing list. Some of my biases cannot be erased that easily.

by jazzyg I do not think Raducanu will lose in the first two rounds. Have no quibble with any of the others or Kontaveit.

by AcesAnnie Not sure about the others, but I do believe Mugu, Leylah, and Kontaveit will lose in the 1st round.

by ti-amie

by AcesAnnie
ti-amie wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:56 pm
Him doing so well and winning the Cincy Tournament has helped him so much for this upcoming USO. I don't know how well he will succeed at the USO, but he is someone to surely watch.

by ti-amie

by ashkor87 Well well..any list longer than 6-8 is not a prediction, it is a cop-out..I will trim my list only after I see how the court is playing, day 1..

PS: cop-out is also fine, not criticising..

by nelslus
AcesAnnie wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:49 pmPetra is about to lose the 1st set to Garcia. Caroline Garcia is playing right now and at the right time some fantastic tennis. She seems to be taking on anyone who is opposite her on the court and taking them down. I cannot predict how long this streak will last, or if the streak will go far into the USO, but if this quality of tennis continues from her she is going to go far.
Caroline has never made it past R3 in the US Open. SO many players, year after year, decade after decade, have had regular tour winning streaks, only to fold at the Slams. Now, in fairness, and I mean the following with no snark- Caroline HAS won two French Open doubles titles. Stosur and Krejčíková are examples of players who first won doubles Slams before winning a singles Slam title. Winning ANY slam title still gives you experience in what it's like, and what it FEELS like, to win a Slam. So, sure, this could happen. But.....IMO, highly unlikely. Winning regular tour matches is nowhere near the same as winning Slam titles.

AND, btw, y'all, Petra HAS made two QF's at the US Open- and the final of the Aussie and two French SF's. So, Petra does know how to play well at the US Open, and even more so at all of the Slams. So there. I mean, of course she's not gonna win and all, but I'd still like her chances at the US Open vs. Garcia.

A new prediction: Whoever of our favorites plays Harmony Tan first will lose. You heard it here first. :gorgeous:

by nelslus Alternate post: Truly, we don't have a damned clue with the women's draw. I sure wasn't picking Rybakina to win Wimbledon, so.....

by AcesAnnie
ashkor87 wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:14 am Well well..any list longer than 6-8 is not a prediction, it is a cop-out..I will trim my list only after I see how the court is playing, day 1..

PS: cop-out is also fine, not criticising..
I have picked 5 players on each side and after these next two tournaments are over and heading into the USO, I will narrow it down to 1 men's winner that I predict and 1 women's winner.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote:1R-2R probable losers:
Giorgi.

Depends on the draw. I think most of them would beat a WC and a LL.

by meganfernandez
nelslus wrote:Alternate post: Truly, we don't have a damned clue with the women's draw. I sure wasn't picking Rybakina to win Wimbledon, so.....
doesn’t stop people from obsessing. :)

by nelslus
meganfernandez wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:35 pm
nelslus wrote:Alternate post: Truly, we don't have a damned clue with the women's draw. I sure wasn't picking Rybakina to win Wimbledon, so.....
doesn’t stop people from obsessing. :)

....APPARENTLY not. :shock:

by Suliso Well, otherwise why would we be here? :)

by ponchi101
Suliso wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:33 pm Well, otherwise why would we be here? :)
Indeed. And we don't put people in straightjackets because they need to type their messages :)

by meganfernandez Oh no

Obviously worse for the family, but it has USO implications so putting it here too

by ashkor87
Suliso wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:23 am Most of Federer's Wimbledon titles were preceded by a Halle title.
This is a bit of an adhominem argument but I always exempt people like Nadal and Federer..the exception proves the rule..(interesting phrase that, didn't get it first time I heard it..my economics prof at UCLA, of all people, explained it to.me! The exception is so outstanding that it demonstrates the general validity of the rule!)

by ponchi101 But when you get too many exceptions, then the rule is bogus.
Becker won Queens two weeks before his first Wimby. Martina and Chrissie routinely won before they also went and won a slam. This year, the rule went out the window with Iga before RG, because she played and won everything before that slam. Andreescu preceded her USO with a win at home a few weeks earlier. I am sure there are plenty of examples.
The thing is statistical. Most "very good" players will win 2-3 tournaments a year; a David Ferrer will therefore retire with 28 total wins, the same as a Kvitova. So, they can't go into Cincy thinking "Oh, if I win this one this will be one of my two tournaments of the year and I will do poorly at NYC". Players have to keep playing, and see how long of a winning streak they can string. BHM's great grass season this year simply came to an end because, as good as she is, she is still a mid level player. She is not going to string 17 wins in a row.

by ashkor87 On the contrary, Evert/Nadal/prove the rule..only the great players can do it, that is the point, isn't it?! Exceptions have to be few, and outstanding...that is infact one reason to think highly of Andreescu..that entire year, she was undefeated on hard courts..

by ashkor87
ashkor87 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:28 am It is, of course, early days yet - no hard court tournaments yet in the second swing.. but we have had one earlier, totally dominated by Swiatek..
and, of course, every hard court is different - they can change the speed of the court by changing the granularity of the surface.

So, until we see how the courts are really playing at Flushing Meadow, it will be difficult to say anything.. but certainly I, for one, place little stock in the tournaments leading up to it - they are all slightly different from the USO especially in speed, and at this level, even a 5% change can be decisive..

with all these caveats then, I would say:

On the Men:

#1 Medvedev - clearly the best hard-courter in the world, defending champion, and Djokovic will probabaly not be there
#2 Sinner - the faster the court, the better he likes it, and he showed us at Wimbledon what he is capable of
# 3 Nadal - if he plays, which, to my mind, is unlikely - hard courts are hardest on his feet and he is about to become a father
# 4 - Kyrgios - he seems ready to play, and his big serve will be lethal here also
# 5 - Alcaraz - he will be able to hit his shots on the high-bouncing surface, no problem..his speed around the court will win him matches

On the Women:

#1 - Swiatek - simpy the best player in the world, totally dominated the hard courts in the first half, will be able to hit her spin
#2 - Osaka - showed us at Miami that she is getting there, and she is a 4-time major champion on hard courts.
#3 - Leylah Fernandez - very impressive at RG, beat Anisimova, for instance, which she had no business doing, on a clay court, if the court is fast like last year, I would make her #1, her reflexes and service return are out of this world.
#4 - Andreescu - her game is getting there and she was the Queen of hard courts before Osaka and Swiatek came along
# 6 - Rybakina - she seems a bit slow on her feet, to me,takes a split-second to adjust, especially to low balls.. but, of course, one of my favorite players anyway..

comments?
Just a gentle reminder - one of the top 5 men and one of the 6 top women did win. Not some random person ..! and the 'tuneup' events turned out to be mostly irrelevant. Even Jabeur and Ruud didnt do much at CinCinnati and the Canadian. Are we suprised? we shouldnt be.

by ponchi101 I find that a very interesting statement.
Look at your list. Look at your forecast, and tell me how would you judge it, seeing it from hindsight:
ATP
Medvedev: 3R loss. Against a very good player, sure, but you put him at #1.
Sinner. Played well, indeed, lost the best match of the tournament to the eventual champion. No big deal with that forecast.
Nadal. Came not very well prepared, made 4R. But the Tiafoe match was not even close. Yet, as per your theory, his lack of preparation should have actually been GOOD; no Toronto, 1R at Cincy.
Kyrgios. Tamed #1, then lost to Khachanov. Again, no preparation, so he should have been a factor.
Alcaraz. You got it.

WTA
Swiatek. She won. You had her at #1. No possible discussion.
Osaka. 1R loss. To a fine player, but you had her as a favorite.
Leylah. 2R. Enough said.
Andreescu. 3R. Enough said.
Raducanu. 1R. More than enough said because many people in this forum called the upset.
Rybakina. That Wimby win is starting to look like Raducanu's US Open win. At least, a bit of an oddity.

So.
Sure, you got it with Swiatek. And Alcaraz did win. But all the other predictions were way off. It would seem then that rankings are not really good at prediction (if one #1 wins, but the other crashes, that is a 50% indicator, also known as "chance"). Previous performance is not good at prediction (Osaka, Raducanu, Andreescu, Nadal). Recent performance is not good at prediction (MS1000's winners, last Slam winner).
Sounds to me like this is becoming really, really random. Except for Swiatek, whom, as we have agreed, has gained separation from the field.

by Deuce It's far too early to be calling Rybakina a 'one hit wonder' a la Raducanu.
She won Wimbledon just a couple of months ago, and simply has not had sufficient time to prove whether she can follow that up with somewhat consistent good results or not.

Last year, no-one was criticizing Raducanu 2 months after the U.S. Open... people waited for about 6 months of poor results before criticizing. Rybakina should receive the same consideration.

by ashkor87 All I say is -'other,' didn't win. A legitimate contender did...one of my top 5 or 6. I give myself a B.
And the tuneup events did not have a bearing on the USO.

by Owendonovan
Deuce wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:47 pm It's far too early to be calling Rybakina a 'one hit wonder' a la Raducanu.
She won Wimbledon just a couple of months ago, and simply has not had sufficient time to prove whether she can follow that up with somewhat consistent good results or not.

Last year, no-one was criticizing Raducanu 2 months after the U.S. Open... people waited for about 6 months of poor results before criticizing. Rybakina should receive the same consideration.
That's because Raducanu has a much better PR firm and isn't as camera ready as Raducanu. I see Emma taking the Bouchard route. Rybakina will threaten for a year or 2.