Talk about MLB

All MLB related things and hardball played in other countries
skatingfan Canada

Re: Talk about MLB

Post by skatingfan »

ti-amie wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:59 pm Can someone please explain to me what this woman is trying to say?
If the World Series is being played between Houston & Atlanta then the 'International Players Anthem' should be played before every game.

This is the 'International Players Anthem':

The reactions are hilarious. :bananas: :bananas: :bananas: :bananas:
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

UGK are from Texas, and of course, Outkast are from Atlanta.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I obviously need to get out more. Thanks.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

ti-amie wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:12 pm I obviously need to get out more. Thanks.
No problem. ;)
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

ti-amie wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:12 pm I obviously need to get out more. Thanks.
In this instance, you really don't. If you know Outkast, then you're good. Not hearing of this song and UGK is not a big deal, their popularity is with southern rap enthusiasts and pretending otherwise is a stretch. They have this and one other song that registered outside of that realm and both songs have much, much larger acts tied to them.

Post by JazzNU »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Did Houston wait too long to take Valdez out? Atlanta was literally teeing off his pitches.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

I still haven't watched a second of baseball since the Wild Card games. Funny how it works. I started watching first baseabll during the last few innings of Seattle's game 161 win... watched all of Sunday game 162 and both wild cards... and not a pitch since. :)
:steven:

Post by JazzNU »

ti-amie wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:39 am Did Houston wait too long to take Valdez out? Atlanta was literally teeing off his pitches.
Probably, could've been pulled right before the 2-run homer. But there's hardly a blueprint for the right approach when your starting pitcher in Game 1 of the World Series is ready to be pulled in the first inning. Also,

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

When I first moved into the complex I live in they had their own cable and Atlanta sports were available. I've been a closet Atlanta baseball fan ever since. I was fine with it but I do question why they left him in that long.
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

Yeah, even in Canada I remember a time where we had TBS and could see almost every Braves game - could see even more of them than the Blue Jays or Expos games.
:steven:

Post by JazzNU »

Like I said before, I have a hierarchy of teams I root for. The Braves are very high on the list. I LOVED the 90s team and watched them all of the time. Ted Turner was brilliant to put them on TBS, it made them into a national team that it otherwise never would've been.

I'd be rooting for the Braves even if I wasn't a fan, but it definitely was nice that I had so many I was happy to root for this year over the Cheating Astros. I was less than thrilled to be rooting for the Boston Red Sox for the first time in my life, but circumstances being what they are, it's what happened. The only thing I will find a way to be happy about if the Cheating Astros win is that Dusty Baker finally wins a World Series. But that's it.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Post by JazzNU »

Seeing this Braves crowd is wild. Inside the stadium AND outside looking not resembling Atlanta. Truly mission accomplished.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

I still can't watch Major League baseball. I began to lose interest about 20 years ago when more and more players began just chasing the money and going to a different team almost every year. If another team offered them $7 more per year, they'd go - because it all became a pissing contest where players measured their 'success' by being paid more than most of their peers.

I used to love baseball. I played it as a kid, I followed it closely until the late 1980s, which is when I got to know some Major League players personally, and that provided interesting experiences and insights into the game. And I got back to playing at around the same time, after not playing for about 10 years. Then I stopped playing again in about 1994, and went back to it in 2006 (that's when I discovered that, during my absence, they had placed the bases further apart, batters were hitting the balls much harder, and pitchers were throwing much faster than they were 12 years previous :D ).

I've tried to watch some of this World Series... but I end up watching 10 or 15 minutes, then changing the channel. I have no idea who these players are... And if I do recognize a player (which is very rare), he's always on a different team than the team I know him from, of course. I used to know pretty much all the players - back when a team was a team, and the majority of a team's players would stay together as a team for several years. Now, though, there is no such thing as a team - today, it's simply a group of individuals which changes dramatically every year as the players just chase the money, not caring where they end up. I think this happens in baseball more than in any other professional team sport in the USA/Canada.
'For the love of the game' is a beautiful concept... but there's definitely not much of that remaining, sadly.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower