Talk about MLB

All MLB related things and hardball played in other countries
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: Talk about MLB

Post by ti-amie »

JazzNU wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:54 am
ti-amie wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:21 am I admit I haven't followed baseball that closely lately but why was Gerrit Cole chosen by the Yankees to start this game?
$324 million. This is why he they got him.
He lasted what, a little more than two innings?
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

ti-amie wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:19 am
JazzNU wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:54 am
ti-amie wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:21 am I admit I haven't followed baseball that closely lately but why was Gerrit Cole chosen by the Yankees to start this game?
$324 million. This is why he they got him.
Yup. Boone, who never should've been hired in the first place, best be getting fired in the morning and Cashman better be shown the door immediately too. An embarrassing showing on every level, with more talent than Girardi had when he overperformed with the team he took to the ALCS and was a game away from getting to the World Series and he still got fired. Time to clean house.

Post by JazzNU »

ti-amie wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:19 am

Post by JazzNU »

I don't watch a ton of regular season baseball anymore, so I'm SO not used to Albert Pujols being a Dodger. Not at all, like it's weird seeing him in non-red lettered uniform and even stranger in a game against the Cardinals.

Post by JazzNU »

Awesome! Now that was fun, the opposite of last night's game.

Post by JazzNU »

Post by JazzNU »

And a tennis tie-in during the celebration! 😀 Her brother was a MLB player for those that didn't know.

Fastbackss United States of America

Post by Fastbackss »

I couldn't stay up long enough; I see now I should have sucked it up.

Post by JazzNU »

Fastbackss wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:20 am I couldn't stay up long enough; I see now I should have sucked it up.
Yeah, it was great. So much attention (understandably) given to Yankees vs. Red Sox, but this was the game we had hoped that one would be. Close and competitive throughout, uncertain of which way it would go, many tense moments. For a second, when we heard the crack of the bat, it looked like we were going to get a serious Hollywood ending with Pujols hitting a walk off HR against his old team, but the one we got, from a player that has been struggling with his hitting no less, worked almost as well.
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

He's a good pitcher who had a good year. No one is on every game. Despite our sports narratives we like to tell, pitchers can't just make themselves pitch better just because it's the playoffs :) (If so, then batters are just going to try harder too right?)

Plus he was rested, which was probably just as important.
ti-amie wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:11 am Why would you send Judge in that situation? Idiocy.
The thought of sending him was ok...the execution...not so much :) Trying to find a replay but the third base coach was very hesitant to send him and that wound up a big factor.

Dodgers-Cardinals was tons of fun to watch.
:steven:

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ptmcmahon wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:08 pm
He's a good pitcher who had a good year. No one is on every game. Despite our sports narratives we like to tell, pitchers can't just make themselves pitch better just because it's the playoffs :) (If so, then batters are just going to try harder too right?)

Plus he was rested, which was probably just as important.
ti-amie wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:11 am Why would you send Judge in that situation? Idiocy.
The thought of sending him was ok...the execution...not so much :) Trying to find a replay but the third base coach was very hesitant to send him and that wound up a big factor.

Dodgers-Cardinals was tons of fun to watch.
I'm sorry I didn't stay around to see the entire Dodgers - Cardinals game.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

I record any interesting sports just in case I fall asleep... and I did and wound up watching it last night instead :) Plus side... no commercials :)
:steven:

Post by JazzNU »

That was a real ****** up way to end a playoff series last night and MLB deserves every suspicious question they are getting today. There were some questionable calls throughout the series, and again last night. But when this happened, the Dodgers were about to win anyway most likely, they didn't need it gifted to them. Messed up.

I really thought we had a chance to win the World Series this year, but proud of the season the Giants had.

I'll be over this in a few days and rooting for the Dodgers to win it all again, they remain one of my favorite teams that I've cheered on since childhood. They just rank lower than the Giants and the A's.

And technically they rank lower than the Pirates too, but until they stop being an embarrassment on just about every level, I don't count them.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Can someone please explain to me what this woman is trying to say?

Post by JazzNU »

ti-amie wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:59 pm Can someone please explain to me what this woman is trying to say?
Houston Astros will play the Atlanta Braves in the World Series. Intl Players Anthem is a rap song featuring two groups. one from Houston and one from Atlanta. She made the Tweet she did about it playing before games, and it's a joke. Many got the Tweet, hence the likes she got, but many did not, hence the "this is America!" replies that came for her.

The song is not exactly unknown, but I wouldn't say it's one that has aged well in terms of airplay, and not the biggest of deals overall outside of hip hop enthusiasts, but it could've been in Houston and Atlanta for all I know. It's crystal clear from the replies that people in Houston are under the misconception that the Texas group is better known nationally than they are. That song registers because of the Atlanta group (Outkast) and that's all there is to it. This tweet being misunderstood and getting the replies it did was foreseeable. But she's getting noticed, had a few Tweets that went viral, and I assume that's the point for her.