Sports Random, Random

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, Curling, Marbula 1 and any other activity that we can think of!
Cuckoo4Coco United States of America

Re: Sports Random, Random

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

Deuce wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:19 pm
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:57 pm
Deuce wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:44 pm
Curling is a wonderful sport - often described as 'chess on ice'... It's much more difficult than it looks on TV.
But it was never our national sport.

Although curling is most often associated with Canada, its origins are in Scotland.
It does look like a lot of fun, but a game that would take a lot of strategy. I would probably fall on my butt trying to do it. :lol:
Yes - most people do fall on their butt when they first try it. This happens mostly because they think it will be easy - because it looks so easy and smooth on TV. But they quickly realize that sliding out on ice while keeping your balance is not at all easy - let alone trying to aim a 'rock' in a particular direction and at a precise speed while sliding.
Not to mention that they're using muscles that they only discover exist once they try to slide!
I wonder if I could even push that heavy stone all the way down the ice?
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

You could - remember it's going to slide because it's on ice.

Doing with any kind of precision is the hard part :)
:steven:

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

ptmcmahon wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:46 am You could - remember it's going to slide because it's on ice.

Doing with any kind of precision is the hard part :)
I could just see me pushing that stone and tipping over on the ice trying to slide. :lol:
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

You won’t slip pushing the stone since you’ll be low to the ice.

But if you have to sweep it… that’s where it gets tricky :)

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

ptmcmahon wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:40 pm You won’t slip pushing the stone since you’ll be low to the ice.

That does look really tricky going down the ice with that broom.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ptmcmahon wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:40 pm You won’t slip pushing the stone since you’ll be low to the ice.

No... I've seen many, many people 'tip over' or fall while sliding out with the rock. Mostly newbies - but also established players, including 'pro' players at times.

It's more difficult than it appears.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

If I knew of a place where they had Curling, I would have to give this a try.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:07 pm If I knew of a place where they had Curling, I would have to give this a try.
Search for a curling club in your general area.
Many clubs have an 'open house' type of thing at the beginning of the season (in September or early October), where people can come in and try it. There may be less of the 'open house' things happening because of COVID-19 - but it doesn't hurt to look for a club in your area and see if they do the 'open house' thing. It'll either be indicated on their website or you can call them.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

I googled Maryland curling and got two results... not sure if either is close :)

https://www.google.com/search?q=maryland+curling

Both seem to have some learn to curl/intro sessions held :)

Personally, I'm a generation between curlers - my Dad used to weekly when work let him, and my son is going into his fourth (fifth?) year of it now. Although I watch my more than my share on TV. We had so many conversations about it they even gave us our own curling thread :D Maybe in my later years if I have time I can take it up...I've done it once or twice and it was a blast. I'd definitely be a sweeper though, not the "skip" who calls all the shots and usually has to make the toughest shots.

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

ptmcmahon wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:16 pm I googled Maryland curling and got two results... not sure if either is close :)

Personally, I'm a generation between curlers - my Dad used to weekly when work let him, and my son is going into his fourth (fifth?) year of it now. Although I watch my more than my share on TV. We had so many conversations about it they even gave us our own curling thread :D Maybe in my later years if I have time I can take it up...I've done it once or twice and it was a blast. I'd definitely be a sweeper though, not the "skip" who calls all the shots and usually has to make the toughest shots.
The Laurel one is an hour away from where I live and the Easton one is 90 minutes away. Not sure if mom would drive me that distance weekly, especially with all my tennis but it does sound like fun and great to know it is around.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:33 pm
ptmcmahon wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:16 pm I googled Maryland curling and got two results... not sure if either is close :)

The Laurel one is an hour away from where I live and the Easton one is 90 minutes away. Not sure if mom would drive me that distance weekly, especially with all my tennis but it does sound like fun and great to know it is around.
Just go once to try it.
The only way she'd have to drive you regularly is if you absolutely fall in love with it (like I did).

I always enjoyed watching it on TV, but I only began playing at about age 40. As most people do, I began as a front end player, and was Skipping part time by my 5th year (and then Skipping pretty much full time).
I did miss sweeping when I was Skipping - I love to sweep - I take pride in it, and it's great exercize. But I enjoy Skipping even more... trying to figure out the shots and strategy, and having the pressure shots at the end of each end...
R.I.P. Amal...

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

Deuce wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:52 am
Cuckoo4Coco wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:33 pm

Just go once to try it.
The only way she'd have to drive you regularly is if you absolutely fall in love with it (like I did).

I always enjoyed watching it on TV, but I only began playing at about age 40. As most people do, I began as a front end player, and was Skipping part time by my 5th year (and then Skipping pretty much full time).
I did miss sweeping when I was Skipping - I love to sweep - I take pride in it, and it's great exercize. But I enjoy Skipping even more... trying to figure out the shots and strategy, and having the pressure shots at the end of each end...
I do enjoy watching it on TV, especially the strategy they use. Another game I enjoy watching is Cornhole which is actually quite fun to play and not as easy as it looks.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

If you are into photography or sports in general the pictures here are simply wonderful. Some are gruesome (boxing, and surprisingly gymnastics) but for the most part they're great.

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Post by Cuckoo4Coco »

ti-amie wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:00 pm If you are into photography or sports in general the pictures here are simply wonderful. Some are gruesome (boxing, and surprisingly gymnastics) but for the most part they're great.

This photo is so awesome.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Hard to disagree with the #1 shot.
#2 & #3: The biathlon, and the cricket.
And all the fighting shots are just proof those are not sports. Truly barbaric.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem