Sports Random, Random

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, Curling, Marbula 1 and any other activity that we can think of!
Deuce Canada

Re: Sports Random, Random

Post by Deuce »

R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Sadly, this seems to be the way that pretty much all sports are going - if you can perform well, and/or help the team win (and thus bring in more money), anything you do off the playing field will be overlooked and ignored (Tiger Woods, anyone?)...
Team and league officials don't care... Fans don't care, either...
It's tragic...

Alcoholism, Rape, Child Abuse, etc. - No-one Cares, as Long as You Play Well...

R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Fastbackss United States of America

Post by Fastbackss »

The producer of a radio show I (and others on this board, *wink*) listen to was a huge Browns fan.

He "disavowed" his fandom once they signed DeShaun Watson. And for the most part his fellow fans didn't understand it...and took to social media to drag him for it
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Every once in a while, you come across a happening that just has to be shared...

Ummm....

Pitcher Attacks Batter After Home Run...
(Make sure to scroll down to the video in the twitter thing.)

It's worth noting that while all of the batter's teammates bolted out of the dugout, hardly any of the pitcher's teammates came out :lol: ...
R.I.P. Amal...

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

And the all time prize for the most deaf-tone, imbecile, criminal reply by an athlete to a question regarding morals goes to:
Greg Norman, replying to a question about the assassination of Jamaal Kashogi by the Saudi regime:
Pressed on the Khashoggi killing, Norman tried to brush off the question. “Everybody has owned up to it, right?" he said. "It has been spoken about, from what I’ve read, going on what you guys reported. Take ownership, no matter what it is. Look, we’ve all made mistakes and you just want to learn from those mistakes and how you can correct them going forward.”
Yep, we all have made mistakes. Like, you know, mistakes in which you ordered the killing and dismemberment of a political opponent. Who cannot relate to that?
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/greg-norma ... 09448.html
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 1:38 am And the all time prize for the most deaf-tone, imbecile, criminal reply by an athlete to a question regarding morals goes to:
Greg Norman, replying to a question about the assassination of Jamaal Kashogi by the Saudi regime:
Pressed on the Khashoggi killing, Norman tried to brush off the question. “Everybody has owned up to it, right?" he said. "It has been spoken about, from what I’ve read, going on what you guys reported. Take ownership, no matter what it is. Look, we’ve all made mistakes and you just want to learn from those mistakes and how you can correct them going forward.”
Yep, we all have made mistakes. Like, you know, mistakes in which you ordered the killing and dismemberment of a political opponent. Who cannot relate to that?
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/greg-norma ... 09448.html
Makes you wonder what he's trying to recoup money from? Is it just the divorce settlements or does he also have massive gambling debts like Phil?

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

At super star level I think Jordan came close. So did Bret Favre. Those are the two that came to mind without doing a Google search.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I am devastated that Mickelson will not be able to play the PGA. Devastated.
Nah, not really. He can fly to Riyadh this week and play some golf there.

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Why is he doing that? He is still one of the best footballers in the world, and MLS is simply NOT European League football. If he does not score like two goals a game there, it will be a failure. This is like Ted Williams playing in the Venezuelan league: BA .550, 60 homeruns in 30 games.
I mean, I follow football in the same way I follow political news (meaning, forced to) but this makes no sense from the point of view sports. As a business, well, $200 million is the same for him as it would be for most people to buy a car. And I mean a VW.

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:41 pm Why is he doing that? He is still one of the best footballers in the world, and MLS is simply NOT European League football. If he does not score like two goals a game there, it will be a failure. This is like Ted Williams playing in the Venezuelan league: BA .550, 60 homeruns in 30 games.
I mean, I follow football in the same way I follow political news (meaning, forced to) but this makes no sense from the point of view sports. As a business, well, $200 million is the same for him as it would be for most people to buy a car. And I mean a VW.

I think you're reading this wrong. This is a thing. European footballers play their normal career in Europe and then when they can still play, but aren't anywhere near in their prime, they come to the US to make money in MLS because the washed version of them is still (pitifully) competitive here. It's been a very good deal for them. For someone of higher stature, he can cut a different deal, and he's clearly taking the Beckham path. Messi has a lot of money, sure, but when do any of these guys not want more? Plus, he had to have lost quite a bit in the last two years given his off-field business. This was rumored pre-pandemic though, so it's not just going to be about that, but could've played a role on the when and the particulars.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Sure. Pele did it, past his prime. Beckham, Ronaldo, Xavi. But Messi is not past his prime. He is still playing quality football at PSG. That is what I don't get.
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

True but he's 34... he probably doesn't have much "prime" left. May have felt the ownership stake deal may not have available later if he waited too?
Last edited by ptmcmahon on Wed May 18, 2022 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:steven: