Sports Random, Random

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, Curling, Marbula 1 and any other activity that we can think of!
JazzNU United States of America

Re: Sports Random, Random

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:33 am Should all Russian NHL players be "suspended", with full pay?
I don't think so, but what else is there to do, sports wise?
NHL doesn't do anything to distinguish players by their nationality to my knowledge outside of mentioning it or putting it on screen as info in some way about where they are from, so I don't think NHL has to change anything. Though they might want to keep Ovechkin away from a microphone. NHL did announce they are terminating existing Russian business contracts, the biggest one appears to be a TV contract that broadcast games in Russia.

The major competitions that are most being affected with that announcement, and part of why many wanted them banned, are the World Hockey Championships in Finland in a few months and the Junior Worlds, which were scheduled to be hosted in Russia at the end of the year. I think there may also be another rescheduled competition in there as well hosted in Canada, because Gretzky came out and said they should be banned. Both Russia and Belarus were set to compete in all of competitions from what I've read.
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:33 am Should all Russian NHL players be "suspended", with full pay?
I don't think so, but what else is there to do, sports wise?
I think athletes operating in professional sports are different than athletes who are representing the country in sporting events. In tennis the players aren't chosen by the Russian tennis federation in order to go to Indian Wells next week, and the players in the NHL are not representing Russia, or wearing Russian team gear, or jackets. I think it's a meaningful distinction.
Last edited by skatingfan on Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Indeed, I think it would be very unfair to ban Azarenka and Sabalenka from WTA tournaments. Neither lives in Belarus I think.
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

The ISU has suspended both Russia and Belarussia from all upcoming ISU events.
https://isu.org/isu-news/news/145-news/ ... teParam=15
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

Suliso wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:25 am Indeed, I think it would be very unfair to ban Azarenka and Sabalenka from WTA tournaments. Neither lives in Belarus I think.
Not disagreeing with the take. But FYI, Sabalenka definitely lives in Belarus. She might have a second residence (likely in Miami going by her posts), but she's in Minsk all the time - the fiancé and her family, especially her little sister that she adores, are there and she's with them a lot. And Azarenka splits her time and spends much more time in Belarus than she previously did since the custody battle though she's in the US more still, but it was basically necessary given the claims she made in court. Go back 10 years, and you'd be completely correct, she was rarely there.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

I wonder how much longer they'll continue to live there. It will be hard to even travel to/from Belarus in the coming months.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Sad day for Australian Sport, especially cricket...The great Shane Warne, best captain Australia never had, and Rod Marsh passed away on the same day...aged 52 and 74 respectively...
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I know this is of no consequence or even worthy news in America, but this is huge around the world.
Italy has failed, FOR THE SECOND CONSECUTIVE TIME, to qualify for the FIFA world cup.
This is the equivalent to the USA not qualifying for the world championships in basketball.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
the Moz Canada

Post by the Moz »

Too bad for Italy. That'll mean a little less theatrics at Qatar :thumbsup:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock:
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

Perhaps more crazy was they lost yesterday to North Macedonia.

Canada meanwhile (finally) lost their first game in CONCACAF, 1-0 in Costa Rica. I only watched the second half, and despite being a man down they dominated most of the play I saw. Not a terrible loss - still just need a draw or a Costa Rica loss/draw to qualify.
:steven:
the Moz Canada

Post by the Moz »

ptmcmahon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:48 am Perhaps more crazy was they lost yesterday to North Macedonia.

Canada meanwhile (finally) lost their first game in CONCACAF, 1-0 in Costa Rica. I only watched the second half, and despite being a man down they dominated most of the play I saw. Not a terrible loss - still just need a draw or a Costa Rica loss/draw to qualify.
How many qualifying fixtures left for Canada pt?
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock:
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

Hosting Jamaica Sunday, @ Panama Wednesday. Costa Rica play at El Salvador and host USA. Would be nice to clinch at home Sunday.

If all four games go the wrong way we'd still get 4th and get to play in the playoff vs the Ocean Region team.
:steven:
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ptmcmahon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:48 am Perhaps more crazy was they lost yesterday to North Macedonia.

I think Canada hit 2 or 3 goalposts....
But close only counts in horseshoes...
... and dynamite... :D
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

the Moz wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:28 am Too bad for Italy. That'll mean a little less theatrics at Qatar :thumbsup:
Don't get me started on Italian football. Don't get me started.
(I did not say I was sorry or booh-hooh for Italy. I was just reporting ;) )
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein