Sports Random, Random

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, Curling, Marbula 1 and any other activity that we can think of!
ptmcmahon Canada

Re: Sports Random, Random

Post by ptmcmahon »

The algorithm maker sees us discussing and is deciding we want those ads :)
:steven:
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

ti-amie wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:13 pm
ptmcmahon wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:46 pm I subscribe to Jimmy Traina's podcast (one of the real writers) and will be very interested to hear his take on it this week :)
Please let us know if he addresses the issue. :)
He led off by addressing it. He pointed out that they have never used AI for any sports or editorial content. He says they outsource their "consumer report" sections and that is where the complaints were. That's what is says in above article too, so sounds like it's just their outsourced material.

For now? :)
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

From SI to AI there is not too much...
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

And it continues…

https://frontofficesports.com/sports-il ... e-unclear/

My favorite quote …

“That fiasco was followed by a head-scratching town hall in December led by Bhargava with SI and other Arena employees that spanned more than 90 minutes and during which Bhargava said, “No one is important. I am not important. … The amount of useless stuff you guys do is staggering “
Fastbackss United States of America

Post by Fastbackss »

The way that they were blatantly bilking the name recognition of the brand (all while neglecting what created the credibility) has been staggering to me.
They literally just announced plans for a new SI hotel in ann Arbor pretty much the same day the newsroom decimation broke
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Fox, Disney and Warner Bros. Discovery are creating a joint sports streaming platform
2/6/2024

Fox, Disney and Warner Bros. Discovery are creating a joint sports streaming platform.

The media conglomerates will collaborate to establish a joint venture aimed at launching a new sports streaming service, drawing from their extensive collection of professional and collegiate sports rights. These rights encompass a wide array of sports leagues, including the NFL, NBA, MLB, FIFA World Cup, and various college competitions.

The service, yet to be named, will offer a comprehensive package of programming, incorporating television channels such as ESPN, TNT, and FS1, as well as streamed sports content. Subscribers will have the option to access the service either independently or as part of a streaming bundle through platforms like Disney+, Hulu, or Max.

Disney CEO Bob Iger expressed, "This means the full suite of ESPN channels will be available to consumers alongside the sports programming of other leaders."

Media analyst Michael J. Wolf of Activate Consulting noted that the venture targets the 40 million households in the U.S. with high-speed internet but no pay TV subscription. Additionally, a digital sports offering is expected to attract interest from tech giants like Amazon, Apple, and Roku, which curate streaming video for millions of consumers.

Former Disney executive Bernard Gershon described the move as a strategic defensive maneuver with significant potential upside. He emphasized the enduring appeal of live sports as a potent audience magnet, whether broadcasted on television or streamed online.

The CEOs have been in discussions about this collaboration for some time, intending to provide consumers with more options without replacing flagship networks like ESPN and FS1, which already cater to a dedicated sports fanbase on television.

Fox Chief Executive Lachlan Murdoch remarked, "We believe the service will provide passionate fans outside of the traditional bundle an array of amazing sports content all in one place."

The jointly-owned entity will have equal board representation from the three media companies and will license sports content on a non-exclusive basis. An independent management team will oversee its operations.

The launch of this sports-centric service underscores the recognition of a sizable market for sports content beyond traditional TV. It represents an opportunity for these media companies to monetize their valuable sports rights in new ways.

Warner Bros Discovery CEO David Zaslav emphasized, "This new sports service exemplifies our ability as an industry to drive innovation and provide consumers with more choice, enjoyment, and value."

Last year, Disney CEO Bob Iger hinted at the company's intention to retain ESPN and explore partnerships and investments to transition the network to an online platform.

Activist investor Nelson Peltz believes Disney can achieve streaming profitability by bundling its ESPN+ service with a larger player interested in sports, according to recent media reports.

https://unusualwhales.com/news/fox-disn ... g-platform
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I think we've touched on this a few times here.

It's going to be impossible to follow any sport unless you're paying premium rates to do so.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

How do they gain new fans if you can only start out by paying premium rates? I think boxing declined like that...
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

HBO max was such a disaster they had to call it off in S. America.
This will be the same. Let's see how many people will sign up.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

US Senators Accuse McKinsey, BCG of Hindering PGA-LIV Probe
Saudi wealth fund sued consultants to block document release
Executives say they’re fighting back against Saudi injunction

Saudi Arabia has threatened to imprison the bankers and consultants it works with if they cooperate with a probe by US lawmakers into the planned merger of the PGA Tour with LIV Golf.

The kingdom’s Public Investment Fund sued its advisers in a Saudi court in November in order to prevent them from submitting information to the US Senate committee on homeland security and governmental affairs. Violating the court order could lead the kingdom to imprison executives and their staffers for 20 years, according to veteran investment banker Michael Klein, one of the top advisers to the fund.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ify%20wall

This is all I could get before the paywall kicked in.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Whenever somebody sues to have documents released, I wonder what there is in those documents.
Then I remember that there is no way I would allow for my hard drive to be made public.
Mixed feelings. But since I detest the Saudi kings...
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

So delighted to see the Hawkeyes doing well in women's basketball. (I was a Hawkeye once .)Is it all about one player?
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

Well they have the clear #1 player but from what I’ve seen in the tournament their #2 (Stokey I think?) is also a good player and a couple of the supporting cast can hold their own too. But Clark is the total package clear #1 player. It’s not just the scoring she does well.