Sports Random, Random

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, Curling, Marbula 1 and any other activity that we can think of!
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Re: Sports Random, Random

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:11 pm Hard to disagree with the #1 shot.
#2 & #3: The biathlon, and the cricket.
And all the fighting shots are just proof those are not sports. Truly barbaric.
The gymnasts legs though! :shock:
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

These people are so greedy they could announce the Year End championship would be called "The Khashogi Cup" and all they would ask would be "What is the prize money?".
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:49 am These people are so greedy they could announce the Year End championship would be called "The Khashogi Cup" and all they would ask would be "What is the prize money?".
I have to correct my post. It seems the meeting will be on how to DEAL WITH the LIV, not how to run it. Woods seems to be leading a charge against it.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

Chess and poker having some issues these days.

U.S. Chess Grandmaster Allegedly Cheated Over 100 Times, per Report
An alleged cheating controversy has rocked the chess world, and according to an investigation by Chess.com that was reviewed by The Wall Street Journal, chess grandmaster Hans Niemann, at the center of the dispute, has an extensive cheating history.
https://www.si.com/more-sports/2022/10/ ... per-report

Poker World Rocked by Cheating Allegations During Live Stream Show
Garrett Adelstein accused winner Robbi Jade Lew of cheating during the live stream. Lew won $269,000, but she later gave the money back and accused Adelstein of bullying her. There was no evidence that Lew cheated, but her returning the money off camera sparked speculation.
https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2022/1 ... tream-show
Last edited by Owendonovan on Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Owendonovan »

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/04/spor ... power.html
"Soccer Let Women Down Whether They Spoke Up or Not
A report on dysfunction in women’s soccer showed that abuse of players in the National Women’s Soccer League was “an open secret.” Players had nowhere to turn"

Shouldn't we be assuming all Womens/girls sports are rife with this kind of abuse? Gymnastics, Swimming/Diving, Equestrian, Soccer, Martial Arts, have all had high profile, outrageous abuse exposed, along with whatever else I'm forgetting, or is yet to be "discovered" and take appropriate actions?

Post by Owendonovan »

ti-amie wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:18 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:11 pm Hard to disagree with the #1 shot.
#2 & #3: The biathlon, and the cricket.
And all the fighting shots are just proof those are not sports. Truly barbaric.
The gymnasts legs though! :shock:
I don't know what's wrong with the gymnasts' leg, but it's not from gymnastics (the small round scab/scar things). Looks like a funky treatment maybe.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Owendonovan wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:50 am Chess and poker having some issues these days.

U.S. Chess Grandmaster Allegedly Cheated Over 100 Times, per Report
An alleged cheating controversy has rocked the chess world, and according to an investigation by Chess.com that was reviewed by The Wall Street Journal, chess grandmaster Hans Niemann, at the center of the dispute, has an extensive cheating history.
https://www.si.com/more-sports/2022/10/ ... per-report

Poker World Rocked by Cheating Allegations During Live Stream Show
Garrett Adelstein accused winner Robbi Jade Lew of cheating during the live stream. Lew won $269,000, but she later gave the money back and accused Adelstein of bullying her. There was no evidence that Lew cheated, but her returning the money off camera sparked speculation.
https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2022/1 ... tream-show
Fishing, too...
Wherever there are human beings and there is money to be made, there will be some form of dishonesty/corruption...

Cheating Scandal Rocks Fishing World...
Got to say that this ^ is also the definition of downright stupid.

(Some salty language in the video within the link.)

Last edited by Deuce on Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Owendonovan wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:57 am https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/04/spor ... power.html
A report on dysfunction in women’s soccer showed that abuse of players in the National Women’s Soccer League was “an open secret.” Players had nowhere to turn"

Shouldn't we be assuming all Womens/girls sports are rife with this kind of abuse? Gymnastics, Swimming/Diving, Equestrian, Soccer, Martial Arts, have all had high profile, outrageous abuse exposed, along with whatever else I'm forgetting, or is yet to be "discovered" and take appropriate actions?
We can't universally condemn all women's/girl's sports where there is a male authority figure, as obviously some of these people are good people. To falsely accuse, or to find guilt solely by association - or position - is not right.
Aren't you a physical education teacher? I'm sure you'd not like it if people automatically assumed that you are guilty of inappropriate sexual behaviour with the girls in your class.

We need to be vigilant and to keep our eyes and ears open... but to universally condemn is not the right path.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Post by Owendonovan »

Deuce wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:33 am
Owendonovan wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:57 am https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/04/spor ... power.html

We can't universally condemn all women's/girl's sports where there is a male authority figure, as obviously some of these people are good people. To falsely accuse, or to find guilt solely by association - or position - is not right.
Aren't you a physical education teacher? I'm sure you'd not like it if people automatically assumed that you are guilty of inappropriate sexual behaviour with the girls in your class.

We need to be vigilant and to keep our eyes and ears open... but to universally condemn is not the right path.
Yes, I agree we can't universally condemn all of these sports with men running the shows, but maybe something more in line with an independent commission of some sort that monitors Womens/girls sports in some honest way. SafeSport has proven itself impotent, whistleblowing however much encouraged often is weaponized against the whistleblower.
Yes, I do work as a physical ed teacher, but would be fine with any level of scrutiny as most anyone in my position should be. I left coaching gymnastics after my complaints of athlete mistreatment were framed as me trying to cause trouble. I, along with a couple other coaches, was then made very unwelcome at the last gymnastics gym I coached at for supporting a group of 30+young women/girls who rightfully called out a coach who was suspended for abusive behavior. Something has to give, I don't know what it is, but we can't as a society allow much more of this and still consider ourselves civilized. Stealing a child or young adults innocence is just unforgivable to me.

Post by Owendonovan »

Owendonovan wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:10 pm

Yes, I agree we can't universally condemn all of these sports with men running the shows, but maybe something more in line with an independent commission of some sort that monitors Womens/girls sports in some honest way. SafeSport has proven itself impotent, whistleblowing however much encouraged often is weaponized against the whistleblower.
Yes, I do work as a physical ed teacher, but would be fine with any level of scrutiny as most anyone in my position should be. I left coaching gymnastics after my complaints of athlete mistreatment were framed as me trying to cause trouble(this was pre-Larry Nassar). I, along with a couple other coaches, was then made very unwelcome at the last gymnastics gym I coached at for supporting a group of 30+young women/girls who rightfully called out a coach who was suspended for abusive behavior. Something has to give, I don't know what it is, but we can't as a society allow much more of this and still consider ourselves civilized. Stealing a child or young adults innocence is just unforgivable to me.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Owendonovan wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:10 pm

Yes, I do work as a physical ed teacher, but would be fine with any level of scrutiny as most anyone in my position should be. I left coaching gymnastics after my complaints of athlete mistreatment were framed as me trying to cause trouble. I, along with a couple other coaches, was then made very unwelcome at the last gymnastics gym I coached at for supporting a group of 30+young women/girls who rightfully called out a coach who was suspended for abusive behavior. Something has to give, I don't know what it is, but we can't as a society allow much more of this and still consider ourselves civilized. Stealing a child or young adults innocence is just unforgivable to me.
Serious question. I am lost in this subject.
Should banning male coaches from female sports be considered? Certainly an extreme position, but should that be an option?

Post by Owendonovan »

It isn't only men, the coach suspended from the gym I once worked at is a woman. Men commit most of the sexual abuse, but women have their share of emotional and physical abuse. I don't know who would oversee these systemic changes that need to take place when you've also got parents wittingly or unwittingly contributing to the abuse. There are typically viewing areas, be it an indoor gym or an outdoor field where the abuse, typically verbal, is happening right in front of the parents often under the guise of "he or she is a tough coach, that why they have such success", when honestly the success usually comes from a place of fear, not ambition.
jimrim Armenia

Post by jimrim »

Who do you think will win the Champions League 2002-2023?

I'm sure it will be FC Bayern Munich