'22 USO Day 1 OoP & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
ashkor87 India

Re: '22 USO Day 1 OoP & Discussion

Post by ashkor87 »

Suliso wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:15 pm Ugh? What kind of answer is that? Ok, let's imagine you were a player or a coach. What would you do?
Why would anyone care what I would do? I have never played at this level. I am merely a witness, observing and commenting on what I see. I am not advising anybody.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

ashkor87 wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:58 pm I remember Borg used to take 2 weeks totally off before and after a major.
Yes, and Pete never played a warmup event before Wimbledon, but he did play the summer circuit before the USO.
And I am with Suliso. Yes, nobody should CARE about what you would do, but I am curious as to what you would do. For me, AS A PLAYER, and dreaming I would have reached the level of Slam competitor, I would play the week before a slam. For me, I need to get a lot of rhythm to play my best tennis, and I don't get rhythm easily. It takes me a good couple of weeks. So, again, IF I HAD BEEN GOOD ENOUGH, I would probably had played Canada, skip Cincy, and play W-S, to come into the USO with enough matches under my belt.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

JazzNU wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:30 pm
ti-amie wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:14 pm It was ridiculous to schedule Kasatkina today.
It was ridiculous for Kasatkina to play the week before a Slam.

I think Mannarino, who won in W-S, is scheduled for tomorrow.

I don't know who to blame.
This is why I'm not pleased with the US Open. Half the finalists are scheduled for Tuesday (both men and Sasnovich) and the other half today. Do it for all 6 and eliminate the problem.
As the runner of the SP, I desperately hope they never do that unless they deliberately put them all on the same half of the draw 😀

Post by JTContinental »

meganfernandez wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:05 am
nelslus wrote:
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:45 pm Anything wrong with Tsitsipas? 0-6, 0-3 to Galan. Something is very off.
0-6, 0-5..... :freaking:
Don’t know what’s worse, Tsitsipas’s form or Serena’s dress. The outfit looks so cheap. I am stunned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Really? I thought it was fabulous. Im coveting her diamond encrusted shoes. I loved Olympia in the matching dress and hair beads too.

Post by JTContinental »

It doesn’t seem like rocket science to observe that the USO is going to schedule to favor the American players, just like all the other slams do for their home prospects, as well. The average American viewer couldn’t care less how tired Kasatkina going into the Open, and wouldn’t even know who Daria Saville is.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:41 pm And, look at Samsonova. She played last week, reached the final and won her tournament, and yesterday she won easily. So, why was Samsonova able to come back and play another match, two days later, and win.
@ponchi, I have no idea why you keep at this, but honestly, this all comes off as you not watching these matches. And I know why that's the case. But if you had watched them, I doubt you would have posted this or made fun of the effort in the other match.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

JTContinental wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:47 pm
nelslus wrote:
0-6, 0-5..... :freaking:
Don’t know what’s worse, Tsitsipas’s form or Serena’s dress. The outfit looks so cheap. I am stunned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Really? I thought it was fabulous. Im coveting her diamond encrusted shoes. I loved Olympia in the matching dress and hair beads too.
I liked elements of it, loved the idea of sparkles, but it was ill-fitting, unflattering, and constantly bunched up at the waist, and it didn't look well-made. Close up, it looked like a home-sewn recital costume. The sparkly tank read so juvenile to me. I had a visceral reaction to it. One of her worse dresses by far IMO.

Post by JazzNU »

ashkor87 wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:59 am what did Snigur do right against Halep? I can only see the YouTube highlights, they dont tell you much.. Halep seemed to be somewhat listless and passive, but cant be sure..?
She rushed Halep on many points, getting the ball by her before she was ready. Her forehand is unorthodox, feels like something that may not hold up against others after they get a look at it. It's somehow good, but not something that you should teach. It's odd and awkward, but whatever it is, it was very effective against Simona yesterday.

Post by JazzNU »

meganfernandez wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:38 pm
JTContinental wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:47 pm

I liked elements of it, loved the idea of sparkles, but it was ill-fitting, unflattering, and constantly bunched up at the waist, and it didn't look well-made. Close up, it looked like a home-sewn recital costume. The sparkly tank read so juvenile to me. I had a visceral reaction to it. One of her worse dresses by far IMO.
Wow! Tell me how you really feel...

I'd suggest reading about the dress and maybe you'll appreciate the design a bit more.
jazzyg United States of America

Post by jazzyg »

nelslus wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:35 pm
nelslus wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:23 pm
jazzyg wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:04 pm What is the genesis for the dislike of Mouratoglou?

I missed the memo.
Of course, I can't speak for the opinions of all of those who have the good taste to dislike Mouratoglou.

He's just always come off to me as smug and way-over-the-top grandiose about those he is coaching. Then, as soon as he can get away from Serena, Simona becomes his can't-fail Second Coming of Christ. As I can't stand Simona, this loss gives me even more pleasure to Patrick-bash. :o
....WELL, I tried to explain....

Look, this is my favorite sport. When did it become mandatory to have "great" reasons for our likes and dislikes? I mean, IMO, I do have great reasons for disliking Novak and Zverev, for example. But, otherwise, it's all just subjective, of course.
I agree with that sentiment totally. I just did not know what the issue with him was and wanted to find out.

Post by jazzyg »

JTContinental wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:21 pm Kasatkina lost, which is a bigger upset to me than Halep
You do have some bizarre takes for someone who follows women's tennis closely.

That's not a supportable opinion on any basis.

Post by JTContinental »

jazzyg wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:50 pm
JTContinental wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:21 pm Kasatkina lost, which is a bigger upset to me than Halep

OK

Says you
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

JazzNU wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:31 pm ...

@ponchi, I have no idea why you keep at this, but honestly, this all comes off as you not watching these matches. And I know why that's the case. But if you had watched them, I doubt you would have posted this or made fun of the effort in the other match.
I'm making fun? Wow!
And I keep at this because I think you guys always are coming up with explanations a posteriori. Now, your position is: "Oh, don't play the tournament before a slam, but, if you play, make sure you lose early, but if you reach the final, then make sure you win easily".
Like way too many factors for a player to consider before entering a tournament.
We keep offering examples that the thing is random. Halep did not play since Toronto; she lost. Samsonova played the week before; she won. BHM won two tournaments before Wimbledon; she lost in the first round. Krejcikova won Strasbourg the week before RG, and then won again at RG. On and on, we offer examples, but then, no, it boils down to "I did not see the match".
C'mon, if you can't recover from a 6-4, 6-4 match that lasted 1.58, then your physical conditioning is not proper, which you can't say of Kasatkina.
And when one points out that Kasatkina is erratic, somebody says no, and another member points out she has had two tournament wins and three 1R loses, the reply is to point out at the players she lost, both of them ranked below her. Sort of the definition of erratic.
What is your explanation for Tsistipas? Played well at Cincy, took the week off, lost to a player ranked #94. Too tired? Too rested? What is it?
So no, I don't think it is that I did not watch the match. The numbers and reasoning are there.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Post by jazzyg »

JTContinental wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:52 pm
jazzyg wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:50 pm

OK

Says you
There are people out there who opine that Trump had the election stolen from him. They have zero facts but, hey, they have strong feelings.

Kasatkina, who never has made a slam final and has gotten past the third round of the U.S. Open once in her career, lost to Dart, who has won 11 tour-level matches this year alone and made the fourth round of Indian Wells.

Halep, who had recently won the Canadian Open for the third time, has more 1000-level tournament match wins than any player and was a not awful 18-8 at by far her worst slam since she became a top player, lost to an opponent who had never won a tour-level match and had tried to qualify at the previous seven majors, winning a total of two qualifying matches in those seven attempts. It was one of the biggest first-round upsets in the history of tennis.

As for the actual match, I watched every point but the first game. Snigur came out on fire with that club-player like whippy forehand but Halep regrouped like any legitimate top player should and won the second set 6-0 as Snigur's game unraveled. Halep should have won 6-1 in the third even after dumping serve to start the set, but she got very tight on her forehand side, which is periodic issue for her, and Snigur started playing better again. Still, there was no excuse to lose that match, and Halep still should have won after falling behind 5-1. She won three games to pull within 5-4 and went up 0-30 on Snigur's serve. At 15-30, Snigur hit a 50 mph serve in the middle of the box, and Halep went for a winner and missed long by an inch. You simply cannot miss there. Halep then came on an approach shot for the first time in the match--a sign of nerves--and got passed easily. She then missed a backhand into the net on match point.

If Snigur plays like she did in the first set, she can win a couple more matches, but those strokes look like they can break down easily, as they did in the second set. I will be pulling for her. There's nothing worse than watching your favorite player lose inexplicably and then have the player who beat her get clobbered in the next round.

Post by JTContinental »

Kasatkina won two hardcourt titles this summer, is 5 years younger than Halep, and doesn't rely so heavily on coaching to succeed. Halep hasn't made it to the second week of the USO since 2016. She is a step slow this year and I don't think will seriously challenge for major titles anymore, least of all here.