'22 USO Day 1 OoP & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
jazzyg United States of America

Re: '22 USO Day 1 OoP & Discussion

Post by jazzyg »

On the playing the week before the tournament debate and giving them an extra day of rest, I don't know of any slam that does not play half the draw on one day and the other half the next day. That's how they've always done it, and if finalists from the previous week's tournaments end up on opposite halves of the draw, there is no way to avoid a Monday start for some of them.

And if Kasatkina had been given an extra day to prepare, she then would have had to play today and tomorrow if she won. Maybe that would have been preferable to her, but I don't see why.

When Patrick Rafter won the U.S. Open in 1997 and 1998, he played a Sunday final the day before the tournament started both years. I don't recall whether he then had to play again on Monday, but even if his first match was Tuesday, he had the same quick turnaround as Kasatkina and any other finalist from last week.
jazzyg United States of America

Post by jazzyg »

It's as pointless arguing this obvious point as it arguing with Trumpists. They stick to their opinion no matter what.

Halep made it to the second week last year.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

JTContinental wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:39 pm Kasatkina won two hardcourt titles this summer, is 5 years younger than Halep, and doesn't rely so heavily on coaching to succeed. Halep hasn't made it to the second week of the USO since 2016. She is a step slow this year and I don't think will seriously challenge for major titles anymore, least of all here.
I agree about Halep. Pouty, listless, whiny Simona is the Simona Cahill kept at bay. Without him she's free to show up any time she wants, like in Halep's match today.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ashkor87 wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:58 pm I remember Borg used to take 2 weeks totally off before and after a major.
... And he retired very suddenly at 26 years old.
So, according to your persistent and often repeated theory of there being a pattern to everything, and NO variables ever, anyone who takes 2 weeks off before and after a Major will have a successful career - but it will be very short, because that kind of scheduling is simply not sustainable past the age of 26.

Ashkor, you are throwing out your opinions as facts. That's fine in and of itself... but when you are asked - repeatedly - to support your opinion that winning a tournament before a Major automatically leads to losing early in the Major -, you hide behind "I'm not a coach, so my opinion doesn't matter".
If your opinion doesn't matter, why then do you express it? - and you even express it as fact!
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower