'22 USO Day 1 OoP & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
skatingfan Canada

Re: '22 USO Day 1 OoP & Discussion

Post by skatingfan »

JazzNU wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:07 am Her first round losses were to Bianca in Toronto and Amanda in Cincy. But sure, let's act like they're generic first round losses.
She lost to someone ranked outside the top 50, and a player who pulled out of the next round with an injury. They were bad loses for someone ranked in the top 20.
Improbabledream United States of America

Post by Improbabledream »

nelslus wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:35 pm
nelslus wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:23 pm
jazzyg wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:04 pm What is the genesis for the dislike of Mouratoglou?

I missed the memo.
Of course, I can't speak for the opinions of all of those who have the good taste to dislike Mouratoglou.

He's just always come off to me as smug and way-over-the-top grandiose about those he is coaching. Then, as soon as he can get away from Serena, Simona becomes his can't-fail Second Coming of Christ. As I can't stand Simona, this loss gives me even more pleasure to Patrick-bash. :o
....WELL, I tried to explain....

Look, this is my favorite sport. When did it become mandatory to have "great" reasons for our likes and dislikes? I mean, IMO, I do have great reasons for disliking Novak and Zverev, for example. But, otherwise, it's all just subjective, of course.
I agree you dont need to have great reasons but I am curious about your dislike of halep. She seems so demure and plain I dont know why someone could have strong feelings about her whether they be positive or negative.
Improbabledream United States of America

Post by Improbabledream »

meganfernandez wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:01 am
dryrunguy wrote:How many match points has Galan had?
I think he had 9. Tsitsipas did so well to hang in there. But great win from Galán. He was fun to watch. Fast dude.

Lots of upsets today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Losing a 2 set lead in a slam final has to leave a mark, I dont think he has been the same since. The guy needs to fire his dad honestly
nelslus United States of America

Post by nelslus »

Improbabledream wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:14 am I agree you dont need to have great reasons but I am curious about your dislike of halep. She seems so demure and plain I dont know why someone could have strong feelings about her whether they be positive or negative.
I find her game to be very dull. My partner calls her one of the too many "golden retrievers" on the tours- gets everything back, wears players down. Not creative enough. IMO, she is so dour and pouty on the court. I am SO tired of the many players who bark at their coach and team repeatedly. I'm also not into demure and plain. Dull in interviews, rarely shows any joy on the courts, IMO. She bores me, which is unforgivable.
Nelslus Revised TAT Signature Currently Under Repair. :gorgeous:
Jeff from TX United States of America

Post by Jeff from TX »

dryrunguy wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:59 am Galan beats Tsitsipas. Holt beats Fritz. Astounding.
I'm sure that most of you know this, but I had no idea that Holt was Tracy Austin's son.
It seems like time is going backwards towards 1984 . . . :freaking:
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Jeff from TX wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:47 am
dryrunguy wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:59 am Galan beats Tsitsipas. Holt beats Fritz. Astounding.
I'm sure that most of you know this, but I had no idea that Holt was Tracy Austin's son.
yep, Holt and Mandlik make me feel old... used to watch their moms! and Korda too.. actually quite liked Petr..
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

what did Snigur do right against Halep? I can only see the YouTube highlights, they dont tell you much.. Halep seemed to be somewhat listless and passive, but cant be sure..?
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ashkor87 wrote:what did Snigur do right against Halep? I can only see the YouTube highlights, they dont tell you much.. Halep seemed to be somewhat listless and passive, but cant be sure..?
I didn’t see it until the end but then she kept the ball pretty deep and played more aggressively. Halep seemed rushed all the time. Made a lot of errors.

I wasn’t impressed with Snigur’s game, personally. FH is like Medvedev’s and was fairly weak. I don’t know how she won.

Last edited by meganfernandez on Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

meganfernandez wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:20 am
ashkor87 wrote:what did Snigur do right against Halep? I can only see the YouTube highlights, they dont tell you much.. Halep seemed to be somewhat listless and passive, but cant be sure..?
I didn’t see it until the energy but then she kept the ball pretty deep and played more aggressively. Halep seemed rushed all the time. Made a lot of errors.

I wasn’t impressed with Snigur’s game, personally. FH is like Medvedev’s and was fairly weak. I don’t know how she won.

Thanks..yes, Snigur's forehand seemed slappy .would break down if pressed...
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Peaking or not, the evidence keeps coming .going deep at Toronto and Cincy is bad for your usopen prospects .Halep and kasatkina seemed completely out of gas..let us see if Garcia and Samsoniva are more resilient...,!
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

ashkor87 wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:06 pm Peaking or not, the evidence keeps coming .going deep at Toronto and Cincy is bad for your usopen prospects .Halep and kasatkina seemed completely out of gas..let us see if Garcia and Samsoniva are more resilient...,!
Let's assume for the discussions sake that you're right. If so what's the optimal strategy if USO performance matter for you more than anything else? Play only one of them? Don't play anything? Tank after getting 2-3 matches in?
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Suliso wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:17 pm
ashkor87 wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:06 pm Peaking or not, the evidence keeps coming .going deep at Toronto and Cincy is bad for your usopen prospects .Halep and kasatkina seemed completely out of gas..let us see if Garcia and Samsoniva are more resilient...,!
Let's assume for the discussions sake that you're right. If so what's the optimal strategy if USO performance matter for you more than anything else? Play only one of them? Don't play anything? Tank after getting 2-3 matches in?
That is hardly my concern is it? I am not anybody's coach nor am I their keeper..!
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Ugh? What kind of answer is that? Ok, let's imagine you were a player or a coach. What would you do?
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

And, look at Samsonova. She played last week, reached the final and won her tournament, and yesterday she won easily. So, why was Samsonova able to come back and play another match, two days later, and win.
@Ashkor. Sure, you are nobody's coach. But you are bringing the subject to the conversation. You are saying that winning ANY of the prior tournaments before the USO is bad for your prospects. And when Suliso asks you about what would be the proper strategy, you claim you are not a coach. We know that, but we are talking tennis here, not delivering scheduling plans to the players.
Really: what would you do if you are playing the week BEFORE the USO? One fellow member suspects that Kostyuk totally tanked the SF's at Granby, by claiming an injury and withdrawing, when (in his opinion) she was clearly fit to play. What should players do?
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

I remember Borg used to take 2 weeks totally off before and after a major.