2022 USOSP Womens Picks & Results Thread

Can you beat the draw? Just one measly pick a day...

Moderator: Contest Staff

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: 2022 USOSP Womens Picks & Results Thread

Post by ponchi101 »

joanjettson wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:27 pm Ekaterina Alexandrova 16
I knew it was a lousy pick and didn't have the gumption to just pick Lauren instead.
Sigh
Another year, and no lessons learned haha
Well, we agree now that Alexandrova was a lousy pick, but there was no way on Earth anybody was going to pick Lauren. That would have been almost supernaturally prescient.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

joanjettson wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:27 pm Ekaterina Alexandrova 16
I knew it was a lousy pick and didn't have the gumption to just pick Lauren instead.
Sigh
Another year, and no lessons learned haha
This is all my fault. I cursed it by teasing the bandwagon in the previous round when Alexandrova's match was rain-delayed overnight late in the third set. I knew I was tempting the SP gods by picking Alexandrova in the next round, but that's how much I believed it was a gimme and she would then lose to Iga.

My backups won - Cornet and Burel. Serves me right for being even a teeny bit mean.

Lousy karma, not lousy pick. :)
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

Day 5 dawns anew after Day 4: The Reddening. We lost half the group yesterday, and another today with a NP, leaving us with 58. There were also 2 zombies, one who is back for the second day in a row.

The breakdown

Veronika Kudermetova 32
Shaui Zhang 12
Liudmila Samsonova 9
Coco Gauff 2
Caroline Garcia 1
Alison Riske-Armitraj 1
Shelby Rogers 1

Post by JTContinental »

I'll be back presently with the Round 2 breakdown of losers

Post by JTContinental »

Round 2 is in the books, and taken 1/3 of our original players with it. Yesterday was a great day to run an SP. Now, how about those many, many losers? Were their picks STANK orDANK? Let's find out!

Irina-Camila Begu & Ekaterina Alexandrova (42 combined victims) DANK Were these good picks? Not really, especially for those who saw Alexandrova's first round struggles. But with the sheer joy and dopamine rush these collective losses provided TMQ yesterday, four green letters on a tennis forum is the least we can do in return.

Barbora Krejcikova (7 victims) STANK Krejcikova is still coming back from the dual whammy of a serious injury and not being as good as her 2021 results. The field knows how to play her now, so her element of surprise is gone.

Yulla Putintseva (4 victims) STANK Putintseva looked fairly terrible in her first round against Anisimova, just not as terrible as Anisimova (nor did she develop both a fake injury and a fake illness after dropping the first set). She was doomed as soon as she stepped on court.

Alison van Uytvanck (4 victims) STANK van Uytvanck's stellar US Open career since 2014 includes her R164 bye against Venus and Viktoria Kuzmova. Need I say more?

Beatriz Haddad Maia (3 victims) DANK While TMQ personally called this upset, it was just on a hunch more than any actual statisical backing. Nothing that happened this summer foretold this result.

Harriet Dart (2 victims) STANK Dart was definitely due a letdown after her upset of Kasatkina, or at least a return to her regular losing form.

Leylah Fernandez (2 victims) STANK You waited one round too long to make this sassy pick. TMQ knows this, because he pulled the trigger at the right time in the first round.

Maria Sakkari (1 victim) DANK Sakkari is struggling mightily with confidence at the moment, but she shouldn't have struggled this hard.
nelslus United States of America

Post by nelslus »

JTContinental wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:21 pm Round 2 is in the books, and taken 1/3 of our original players with it. Yesterday was a great day to run an SP. Now, how about those many, many losers? Were their picks STANK orDANK? Let's find out!

Irina-Camila Begu & Ekaterina Alexandrova (42 combined victims) DANK Were these good picks? Not really, especially for those who saw Alexandrova's first round struggles. But with the sheer joy and dopamine rush these collective losses provided TMQ yesterday, four green letters on a tennis forum is the least we can do in return.

Barbora Krejcikova (7 victims) STANK Krejcikova is still coming back from the dual whammy of a serious injury and not being as good as her 2021 results. The field knows how to play her now, so her element of surprise is gone.

Yulla Putintseva (4 victims) STANK Putintseva looked fairly terrible in her first round against Anisimova, just not as terrible as Anisimova (nor did she develop both a fake injury and a fake illness after dropping the first set). She was doomed as soon as she stepped on court.

Alison van Uytvanck (4 victims) STANK van Uytvanck's stellar US Open career since 2014 includes her R164 bye against Venus and Viktoria Kuzmova. Need I say more?

Beatriz Haddad Maia (3 victims) DANK While TMQ personally called this upset, it was just on a hunch more than any actual statisical backing. Nothing that happened this summer foretold this result.

Harriet Dart (2 victims) STANK Dart was definitely due a letdown after her upset of Kasatkina, or at least a return to her regular losing form.

Leylah Fernandez (2 victims) STANK You waited one round too long to make this sassy pick. TMQ knows this, because he pulled the trigger at the right time in the first round.

Maria Sakkari (1 victim) DANK Sakkari is struggling mightily with confidence at the moment, but she shouldn't have struggled this hard.
How DARE you? Clearly, the Begu pick Stank. Your lack of contempt for us Begu pickers shrinks all of us to an eternal level of Shame & Stank (not Dank) Despair. We beg you. Please reconsider. :gorgeous:
Madison Brengle died for somebody's sins, but not mine. :gorgeous:
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

nelslus wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 4:49 am
JTContinental wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:21 pm Round 2 is in the books, and taken 1/3 of our original players with it. Yesterday was a great day to run an SP. Now, how about those many, many losers? Were their picks STANK orDANK? Let's find out!

How DARE you? Clearly, the Begu pick Stank. Your lack of contempt for us Begu pickers shrinks all of us to an eternal level of Shame & Stank (not Dank) Despair. We beg you. Please reconsider. :gorgeous:
Oh, c'mon, Nelslus! We can accept this from newbies and other people with less sanguine personalities, but from you? Nah, it was right there and you dropped that one!
WE BEG U, please reconsider!!
And it was not a bad pick. I, for yuan, felt that Begu beating a player ranked 172 was the most likely result.
(Emoji's all around ;) ;) ;) )

Post by JTContinental »

3 no picks and 1 very persistent zombie leave us with 54 to start Day 6

The breakdown

Jessica Pegula 20
Qinwen Zheng 18
Aryna Sabalenka 10
Victoria Azarenka 3
Danielle Collins 2
Petra Kvitova 1
Iga Swiatek 1
dave g United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by dave g »

Only 54. I have 81. You are clearly winning the race to see who can kill off their pickers fastest. ;)
naughtyT Australia

Post by naughtyT »

crikey that Kvitova pick was brave.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

And smart, because Pegula looms ahead.
Irena2 United States of America

Post by Irena2 »

Why??? :bang:

Post by JTContinental »

Day 7 we have 1 no pick and that same zombie lurking around seeking the contents of your brain. Additionally, the count was off by 1 yesterday, so we have 36 remaining. TMQ regrets the error.

We will have at least a little blood today as we have a duel between Samsonova and Tomljanovic pickers

Today's breakdown

Caroline Garcia 13
Coco Gauff 13
Liudmila Samsonova 5
Ajla Tomljanovic 4
Ons Jabeur 1

Post by JTContinental »

It's Sunday Funday at TMQ headquarters, so I'll be back tonight with the R32 loser roundup
jazzyg United States of America

Post by jazzyg »

Three of the four matches today have pickers on opposite sides. Fun.