'22 USO Day 4 OoP & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
meganfernandez United States of America

Re: '22 USO Day 4 OoP & Discussion

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:12 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:43 pm
ponchi101 wrote:You know, we talk a lot about Sabalenka and her problems with the DF's. But, even when she is unable to get her bloody serve in, she still keep competing.
It is a quality she gets no credit for.
I give her credit for it. I’m her biggest defender.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You are. But an army of one is still not enough. ;)
She keeps putting herself through the misery of her serving. Of course, nothing she can do about that, other than getting better at serving 2nd serves, but she does not give up. Slightly David Ferrer'esque.
Obviously the serving is an issue, yet she's still in the tournament and #10 in the race. Sabalenka, more than many players, is defined by her perceived failures, what she doesn't accomplish. That's typical with the way fans treat WTA players, but it's even worse with her, probably because she has the potential to be a multi-Slam champ and has choked a few times. Most players don't even get themselves into a position to have a high-profile choke.

She may never come through and win a Slam, as most players don't, but she has had a successful career IMO and deserves more respect. She doesn't deserve to be a punching bag.
Deuce Canada

Re: '22 USO Day 4 OoP & Discussion

Post by Deuce »

meganfernandez wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:31 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:12 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:43 pm
I give her credit for it. I’m her biggest defender.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You are. But an army of one is still not enough. ;)
She keeps putting herself through the misery of her serving. Of course, nothing she can do about that, other than getting better at serving 2nd serves, but she does not give up. Slightly David Ferrer'esque.
Obviously the serving is an issue, yet she's still in the tournament and #10 in the race. Sabalenka, more than many players, is defined by her perceived failures, what she doesn't accomplish. That's typical with the way fans treat WTA players, but it's even worse with her, probably because she has the potential to be a multi-Slam champ and has choked a few times. Most players don't even get themselves into a position to have a high-profile choke.

She may never come through and win a Slam, as most players don't, but she has had a successful career IMO and deserves more respect. She doesn't deserve to be a punching bag.
I define her by the enormous number of times she blows leads and beats herself. And, again, this was happening long before her serving problems that people seem to be focussing on as the root of her problems. The serving problems are simply one symptom of a deeper problem that has nothing to do with her physical ability.

As frustrating as it is for me to see her beat herself so often, it is obviously 10 times more frustrating for her.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower