Re: '22 USO Day 5 OoP & Discussion

Post by dryrunguy »

This is heartbreaking for Draper. :(
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

Suliso wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:13 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:00 pm
Suliso wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:57 pm What do we think about Jack Draper? Until very recently he has been flying under the radar. For me at least.
Cute!

Did you mean tennis? Big potential, I've heard. Love that he's another NCAA guy. Haven't seen much, personally. I took FAA early because I thought Draper would be dangerous, and I took Draper today originally but got talked into switching... guess I should actually watch him a bits
NCAA? He's only 20 and Wikipedia says he's been a pro for few years already. Perhaps you meant someone else.
Oops, yep, that's Ben Draper, and he's the cute one.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

dryrunguy wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:32 pm This is heartbreaking for Draper. :(
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
nelslus United States of America

Post by nelslus »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:04 pm Good match from Andy, but he is nowhere near any level to be a realistic challenge for any slams anymore.
Sadly, I figured that out from the first match of his latest comeback. He has gone through far too much with these injuries and surgeries. i'm truly impressed with the level of play he has shown.
Nelslus Revised TAT Signature Currently Under Repair. :gorgeous:
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Ashkor said that Coco would wipe the court with Maddie's tennis bag. I said it would go three.
Advantage Ashkor. This is going very fast.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Coco broke Maddie 5 times in 9 games. It was a drubbing.
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

Keys was abysmal.
jazzyg United States of America

Post by jazzyg »

Tommy Paul served for the third set against Ruud and was up 40-0 before somehow getting broken and losing it in a tiebreak.

He will regret that one for a long time because after winning a grueling fourth set, he has absolutely nothing left in the fifth, having gone five sets in each of his first two rounds. Ruud stayed the course and blitzed him once his legs were gone, but this one should have been Paul in 4. It's been a good summer for Paul, but it could have been even better.

Post by meganfernandez »

Shot of the tournament: match point for PCB vs de Minaur at 6-5 in the fourth set TB

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

jazzyg wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:13 pm Tommy Paul served for the third set against Ruud and was up 40-0 before somehow getting broken and losing it in a tiebreak.

He will regret that one for a long time because after winning a grueling fourth set, he has absolutely nothing left in the fifth, having gone five sets in each of his first two rounds. Ruud stayed the course and blitzed him once his legs were gone, but this one should have been Paul in 4. It's been a good summer for Paul, but it could have been even better.
Argentinean Pedro Cachin, who also went 5 sets in both his first and second round matches, had nothing left for today also.
Galan, who went 9 sets in 1R and 2R, went 4 today and was gassed by the end. This is becoming too brutal a sport.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Despite being comfortably ahead in the 2nd set, I say today is when Serena's career ends. She was comfortably ahead in the 1st set, but lost it.
It might go 3 (and if it does, I give the advantage to the younger, more fit Tomljanovic)... but I think this is the end.

Meanwhile, Garcia took the 1st set somewhat convincingly over Andreescu, and is up 3-1 in the 2nd.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Post by meganfernandez »

Deuce wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:40 am Despite being comfortably ahead in the 2nd set, I say today is when Serena's career ends. She was comfortably ahead in the 1st set, but lost it.
It might go 3 (and if it does, I give the advantage to the younger, more fit Tomljanovic)... but I think this is the end.

Meanwhile, Garcia took the 1st set somewhat convincingly over Andreescu, and is up 3-1 in the 2nd.
I think it probably goes 3 and we'll see what happens, whether Serena gets tired or whether the crowd and her will come through.

Garcia is looking like a quarterfinalist who could take out Gauff there. Playing very well. Has lost serve a couple times, though.

Post by meganfernandez »

with Garcia dominating this match vs. Andreescu, the second week is coming into focus, I think:

Quarters
Swiatek - Pegula
Collins - Martic
Gauff - Garcia
Jabeur - Samsonova

Semis
Swiatek - Collins
Gauff - Samsonova

Final
Swiatek def Gauff

Spoilers: Zheng beating Swiatek, Kvitova beating Pegula, Sabalenka instead of Collins, Garcia instead of Gauff, Serena instead of Samsonova if the magic continues. So maybe a big surprise:

ALT FINAL
Zheng def Garcia, or Samsonova def Collins
jazzyg United States of America

Post by jazzyg »

Garcia was my pick to win the tournament before it started and nothing has changed.

She is playing better than everyone else, which guarantees nothing. But if she continues to maintain that level (a big if), she should win.