'22 USO Day 6 OoP & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
Suliso Latvia

Re: '22 USO Day 6 OoP & Discussion

Post by Suliso »

Two consecutive match points with Petra serving at 5-6. From 5-2 Muguruza I watched every point.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

meganfernandez wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:22 pm
Gotta see what happens in Swiatek-Davis? That 50/50 match? :) I can definitely see a few variations and there should be at least one surprise still to come... Maybe Zheng over Swiatek or Ajla's experience and steadiness over Samsonova.
Did a double take over that phrasing. Not sure I've ever seen or heard those words where Ajla is concerned.

Post by JazzNU »

meganfernandez wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:41 pm
Suliso wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:40 pm And in case you're wondering ponchi the first match point for Mugu was saved with an ace and the second was Kvitova dominated from the start. Some great shot would have been required to win that one.
Mugu had a match point? Was that at 6-5 before the TB?
Yes, she had two match points. It was a 10 minute game.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

JazzNU wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:44 pm
Gotta see what happens in Swiatek-Davis? That 50/50 match? :) I can definitely see a few variations and there should be at least one surprise still to come... Maybe Zheng over Swiatek or Ajla's experience and steadiness over Samsonova.
Did a double take over that phrasing. Not sure I've ever seen or heard those words where Ajla is concerned.
I'm a pioneer. :) I'm no Ajla expert, but I think both of those things were keys to her win last night. At 29 with Slam QFs, she's a veteran, even more so compared to Samsonova's lack of big-match play, which is really what I meant.

Post by meganfernandez »

Pammy just referred to Alcaraz and Brooksby as a couple of honey deuces. :(

Azarenka running over Martic. Welp.

Post by JazzNU »

meganfernandez wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:50 pm
JazzNU wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:44 pm
I'm a pioneer. :) I'm no Ajla expert, but I think both of those things were keys to her win last night. At 29 with Slam QFs, she's a veteran, even more so compared to Samsonova's lack of big-match play, which is really what I meant.
As someone who has watched Ajla plenty over the years, I'm just laughing at the mere notion of steadiness. Veteran based on years, yes. But whew, sounds like you need to watch her in a match when she feels pressure. She admitted to feeling none last night just assuming she would lose, that was the key to her winning. She would've lost to Rodina the match before had Rodina not had an injury mid-match, a match where she admitted to feeling a lot of pressure to win and messing up matches like that in the past and man did that happen until Rodina got injured and had to have an MTO and allowed Ajla back into the match. Steadiness is a new word for me where Ajla's concerned for sure.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

meganfernandez wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:58 pm
Now you see why I didn't jump on making QF's predictions just yet. I would have chosen Azarenka in this match, though.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

My sister who never watches tennis texted me to say Serena shouldn't have played the doubles match the night before. To say I was surprised is putting it mildly.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Post by meganfernandez »

Suliso wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:05 pm
Now you see why I didn't jump on making QF's predictions just yet. I would have chosen Azarenka in this match, though.
That's just no fun.
nelslus United States of America

Post by nelslus »

*At this point in time, I don't know why y'all are so convincingly overlooking Petra- who has a 2-0 record against Peguala (granted, for what that's worth.) And, Petra came in to this match with a 5-1 record against Garbine. I mean, LOL, YES, even I get it's highly unlikely that Petra's winning the US Open. But- hey, Suliso and Mistress Suliso, please continue to do your dirty work for Petra's sake. :gorgeous:

*Obviously I was rooting Petra on here- albeit, scaredy-cat that I am, I did NOT!!!! watch this match. And, from what I've read here, thank goodness for that- thanks to ESPN+, we just watched the match points Petra saved and that third set tiebreaker. In any case- what I have learned is, I almost always hate when players lose match points. (I mean, if Novak, Rune and/or Zverev were to lose a big match after having match points, I wouldn't hate that). Of course, for example, I love that Venus won Wimbledon in 2005- all-time great result for me. But, I still hate that Lindsay lost a match point and therefore a Wimbledon title. I of course get the Big Drama of big matches saving match points. But, I can't help feeling terrible for the players who lose these matches. Also, so sorry for ponchi and The Mugsy fans- a player I do like a lot.

I think it can also be easily said that I've never seen Petra get so, understandably), emotional after any 3R win. (And clearly her finace/coach also got teary.)
Last edited by nelslus on Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nelslus Revised TAT Signature Currently Under Repair. :gorgeous:

Post by meganfernandez »

Pegula has been a lot steadier this year and won't give Petra as many free points as Mugu did. I wouldn't be shocked if Petra wins, but there's a good reason Pegula is ranked higher. If I can drive Petra toward the trophy with negativity, I'll happily do it. I love her. :)

Commentators pointed out that coaching was helping Petra a lot. No judgment, just saying. I wish I was hearing a lot more about the effects of coaching here.

nelslus wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:11 pm *At this point in time, I don't know why y'all are so convincingly overlooking Petra- who has a 2-0 record against Peguala (granted, for what that's worth.) I mean, LOL, YES, even I get it's highly unlikely that Petra's winning the US Open. But- hey, Suliso and Mistress Suliso, please continue to do your dirty work for Petra's sake. :gorgeous:

*Obviously I was rooting Petra on here- albeit, scaredy-cat that I am, I did NOT!!!! watch this match. And, from what I've read here, thank goodness for that- we just watched the match points Petra saved and that third set tiebreaker. In any case- what I have learned is, I almost always hate when players lose match points. (I mean, if Novak, Rune and/or Zverev were to lose a big match after having match points, I wouldn't hate that). Of course, for example, I love that Venus won Wimbledon in 2005- all-time great result for me. But, I still hate that Lindsay lost a match point and therefore a Wimbledon title. I of course get the Big Drama of big matches saving match point. But, I can't help feeling terrible for the players who lose these matches. Also, so sorry for ponchi and The Mugsy fans- a player I do like a lot.

I think it can also be easily said that I've never seen Petra get so, understandably), emotional after any 3R win. (And clearly her finace/coach also got teary.)
Last edited by meganfernandez on Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Actually I expect Petra to beat Jessica (70-30). What makes me hesitant is her long mediocre history here. I just think she'll run out of steam somewhere, most likely in QF's against Swiatek or Zheng...

I do like Petra a lot, albeit not so much that I wouldn't watch her matches. :D
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

meganfernandez wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:10 pm
Suliso wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:05 pm
That's just no fun.
No worries. I'll have plenty of opportunities to predict everything wrong anyway...
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

meganfernandez wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:10 pm

That's just no fun.
Then let's just jinx everybody:
QFs
Iga/Petra
Bencic/Collins
Gauff/Garcia/
Jabeur/Samsonova

Petra/Collins
Gauff/Samsonova

Collins Def Gauff

And now I have to go because the tailor just arrived for my straightjacket...
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem