'22 USO Day 7 OoP & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
Irena2 United States of America

Re: '22 USO Day 7 OoP & Discussion

Post by Irena2 »

ponchi101 wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:25 pm Last time I was in the USA, I was able to watch some tennis. Two people that were a joy to narrate the match: Adams and Chanda Rubin. They have mastered a simple yet critical nuance: when to remain silent. If nothing is happening, you don't have to say anything. The commentary was also insightful.
Not like my karma here, Clerc, who simply cannot go 5 seconds without opening his mouth. About any inane thing, not even related to tennis.
We love Chanda Rubin, one of our favorites! We have been enjoying Bethanie Mattek-Sands during this tournament, too.
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

Chanda's great. But did you all read about how she got unfairly dragged the other night during Serena's match for incorrectly identifying Gladys Knight as Dionne Warwick? She was reading the teleprompter for the commentators rather than watching the actual video. She corrected it quickly, but the damage was done.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Well, isn't that the current M.O? One truly innocent mistake (why would Chanda call one great performer by another's name) and anything you have done before gets erased. You turn instantaneously into mud.
It is so McCarthy (you read Marx in your youth. You are a commie and a danger to the country. End of life).
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Daniil looking very nervous out there. Asking the crowd to go crazy over every single silly shot.
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

ponchi101 wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:44 pm Well, isn't that the current M.O? One truly innocent mistake (why would Chanda call one great performer by another's name) and anything you have done before gets erased. You turn instantaneously into mud.
It is so McCarthy (you read Marx in your youth. You are a commie and a danger to the country. End of life).
I missed it when it happened. Only read about it later. But that's the type of thing that could have easily made our Tennis Journalism thread if someone wasn't paying attention or hadn't read the context.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

dryrunguy wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:40 pm Chanda's great. But did you all read about how she got unfairly dragged the other night during Serena's match for incorrectly identifying Gladys Knight as Dionne Warwick? She was reading the teleprompter for the commentators rather than watching the actual video. She corrected it quickly, but the damage was done.
For goodness sake. Can't people make mistakes anymore? Totally unfair, even is she hadn't been reading from a teleprompter. I can't wait for the age of outrage to end.

I just mistook Jagger Davenport for his mother when they showed him on TV. I really thought it was Lindsay with a short perm. It's remarkable how much they look alike.

Oops! Jagger Leach, not Davenport! Cancel me!

Here's a photo, but the angle I saw had an even stronger resemblance.

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

meganfernandez wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:55 pm
dryrunguy wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:40 pm Chanda's great. But did you all read about how she got unfairly dragged the other night during Serena's match for incorrectly identifying Gladys Knight as Dionne Warwick? She was reading the teleprompter for the commentators rather than watching the actual video. She corrected it quickly, but the damage was done.
For goodness sake. Can't people make mistakes anymore? Totally unfair, even is she hadn't been reading from a teleprompter. I can't wait for the age of outrage to end.

I just mistook Jagger Davenport for his mother when they showed him on TV. I really thought it was Lindsay with a short perm. It's remarkable how much they look alike.
The age of outrage only ends when the same people that put others to the stake, taste the flames themselves. By then, a lot of damage has been done.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Kyrgios' schtick and routine is getting very tiresome. Now she is going at Eva Asteraki. Insane.

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:03 am Kyrgios' schtick and routine is getting very tiresome. Now she is going at Eva Asteraki. Insane.
Getting? He's almost irredeemable to me. He could have a civil conversation about the issue with her, but instead he goes straight to aggression and insults. By the way, he's griping about the serve clock. I don't know if he got a warning or if she just said something, but he thinks the clock shouldn't apply when he's sweating a lot and needs to go to his towel (like every single player).

He's also being a blabbermouth between Medvedev's first and second serves, total baby gamesmanship.
dryrunguy

Post by dryrunguy »

Meanwhile, Pablo can't hit the broad side of a barn.

Post by meganfernandez »

dryrunguy wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:14 am Meanwhile, Pablo can't hit the broad side of a barn.
PCB is out. Surprise for me. But not a shock, I guess.

Kyrgios is already coming undone and it's only the first set, although he did pull it out finally. Pretty likely that he's going to get a point penalty if this match goes long. Early signs of another s---show.
texasniteowl

Post by texasniteowl »

Behavior aside, sometimes I forget just how insanely talented Kyrgios is.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I would have said that if Kyrgios had lost the set, I could have seen a tank. But now Medvedev is also complaining about the Kyrgios' side talking too much.
A shame, because the tennis has been better than average.

BTW. I also want to see one tournament director come up one day and back up their chair umpires. Approach them, and tell them "Whatever you do, I will back you up".
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

W/UE
Medvedev: 23/9
Kyrgios: 21/11

Insane

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:30 am I would have said that if Kyrgios had lost the set, I could have seen a tank. But now Medvedev is also complaining about the Kyrgios' side talking too much.
A shame, because the tennis has been better than average.

BTW. I also want to see one tournament director come up one day and back up their chair umpires. Approach them, and tell them "Whatever you do, I will back you up".
I'm guessing this is the message behind the scenes.

I don't think Med is out of line yet. He's setting his boundaries and letting the umpire know. Basically saying I'm not putting up with this s--- tonight.

Wow, Nick almost had a Djokovic Default moment. He smacked a ball at the backdrop and it was a couple feet from going over and hitting a spectator. P-Mac said it it had been a little higher, the match would be over.