'22 USO Day 9 OoP & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
meganfernandez United States of America

Re: '22 USO Day 9 OoP & Discussion

Post by meganfernandez »

Guess Caro didn't peak too soon. I think she'll make the final.
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

Caro seemed much more into this moment than Coco. Her play reflected that.
jazzyg United States of America

Post by jazzyg »

I wrote before the tournament Garcia would win it easily if she kept her level. That is the part we won't know until she does it, but I don't understand how anyone could watch her play and doubt she is playing at least two levels above anyone else on hard courts.

The numbers shows it, but more importantly, the eye test shows it.

I give Jabeur the only non-choke chance of beating her because her eclectic game could throw Garcia out of rhythm, but Garcia will hit a lot more service winners against her than she did against Gauff because of the difference in reach. I don't give any of the four players on the other side of the draw any shot without a serious come-down by Garcia.
jazzyg United States of America

Post by jazzyg »

If the men's final is Kyrgios-Alcaraz, it will be a beatdown in Kyrgios' favor. Alcaraz's big weakness is his return of serve and he also goes through patches where he donates games. He would not be able to make up for those donations against Kyrgios.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I would love for Alcaraz to win but I picked Kyrgios.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Post by meganfernandez »

Owendonovan wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:05 am Caro seemed much more into this moment than Coco. Her play reflected that.
Experience. Maturity. Caro has 10 years on her.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Post by Owendonovan »

Dude getting his hair cut 3 rows back from the court was special.

Post by meganfernandez »

Owendonovan wrote:Dude getting his hair cut 3 rows back from the court was special.
What? Srsly? Also friends texting me that Nick might not finish. I’m not watching. Rafa would play in that leg til it falls off if he had a golden chance to win a Slam. Numb it up and keep going, Nick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

meganfernandez wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:21 am
Owendonovan wrote:Dude getting his hair cut 3 rows back from the court was special.
What? Srsly? Also friends texting me that Nick might not finish. I’m not watching. Rafa would play in that leg til it falls off if he had a golden chance to win a Slam. Numb it up and keep going, Nick.

Can't think of two players more different than Kyrgios and Nadal. Maybe Ferrer and Kyrgios, as David had "limited" talent.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Post by Owendonovan »

meganfernandez wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:21 am

Yes, dude had clippers on his buddy's head.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

It gets interesting now...
Kyrgios must win 2 more sets to win the match, while Khatchnov need win only 1...
Has Kyrgios matured enough to do what it takes and make the effort to dig himself out of this hole? Or will he decide at one point that it's not worth the effort, as he's decided so many times?
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

meganfernandez wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:27 pm

Imagine Ruud being #1 without winning a Slam. Thanks, Wimbledon. Weakest #1 in decades on the men's side. Who was the last Slamless ATP #1?
^ I don't know why you're always so critical of Ruud - what did he ever do to you?
Just because a player hasn't yet won a Major certainly doesn't mean he is 'weak'. If a player reaches #1, it is deserved - period. It is because he/she is strong enough to merit that position.
Winning Majors gets all the publicity and spotlight and glamour... but tennis is about much more than just the 8 weeks that the Majors are played.

meganfernandez wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:54 pm
Suliso wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:52 pm Ruud could also win Slams. Why not? He's only 23 and already in the top 5.
Sure he could and might get a couple, but Alcaraz is already annoited. He has more hype and more potential, and better results so far - higher ranking, bigger titles. Hence my feeling that he'd be accepted as a Slamless #1 more readily than Ruud would.
^ 'Potential' and $5 will get you a plate of fries and a coffee...
In practical terms, 'potential' means absolutely nothing.

Suliso wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:32 pm How about Alcaraz being #1 without a Slam title? That is also possible.
^ Yes - and it would be more 'accepted' by some because he is a flashier player.
But, again, flashy and spectacular doesn't mean better overall - although many people are fooled into thinking that way.
It's kind of like how a bright, glossy, shiny red car 'looks' faster than a dull, matte, scratched up green car... But it's the performance that counts, not the looks.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
texasniteowl

Post by texasniteowl »

well. I am disappointed. I was rooting for Kyrgios. I mean good for Khachanov though. But I was rooting for Nick.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

So much for Kyrgios the unbeatable. Alcaraz now the favorite, but only by a fraction.