'22 USO Day 9 OoP & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
nelslus United States of America

Re: '22 USO Day 9 OoP & Discussion

Post by nelslus »

jazzyg wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:16 am If the men's final is Kyrgios-Alcaraz, it will be a beatdown in Kyrgios' favor. Alcaraz's big weakness is his return of serve and he also goes through patches where he donates games. He would not be able to make up for those donations against Kyrgios.
WELL, guess this is no longer a concern for (19 year old) Alcaraz. :fuelfire:
Nelslus Revised TAT Signature Currently Under Repair. :gorgeous:

Post by nelslus »

Suliso wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:03 am So much for Kyrgios the unbeatable. Alcaraz now the favorite, but only by a fraction.
,,,,The fraction now thanks you. :P
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

At least Nick hung in until the end - that's progress/evolution...
It was even good to see him smashing his racquets after the handshake - it shows that this loss actually meant something to him...
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Post by nelslus »

texasniteowl wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:01 am well. I am disappointed. I was rooting for Kyrgios. I mean good for Khachanov though. But I was rooting for Nick.
Putting aside for the moment my prior mental health commentary....IMO, at least in part, Nick lost this due to hubris (yet another apprentice of the Monfils LOOK AT ME I AM SO TALENTED!!!!! university)- incredibly cutie-patootie shots, especially during the 3rd and 5th sets resulting in breaks- when simple put-away shots would have sufficed. He coulda shoulda won this match- but, he kept letting Khachanov off the hook- so, Khachanov never really had to get any ongoing heebie-jeebies at clutch times.

I mean, HEY- Nick does now have a doubles Slam title- which, truly, I fully respect. But, Nick, sweetie- you ain't Carlos-19. The clock is ticking. Get better, get more disciplined, learn when it is not needed to go for the glory shots. Or- just be Monfils, with a better doubles title. IMO, it's just nor worth rooting for me, otherwise, if you care about him winning singles Slam titles. :gorgeous:
Last edited by nelslus on Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Owendonovan wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:34 am
meganfernandez wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:21 am
Owendonovan wrote:Dude getting his hair cut 3 rows back from the court was special.
What? Srsly? Also friends texting me that Nick might not finish. I’m not watching. Rafa would play in that leg til it falls off if he had a golden chance to win a Slam. Numb it up and keep going, Nick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, dude had clippers on his buddy's head.
^ Things like this are 100% a product of 'social media' and the desperate craving for attention which is so inherent to 'social media'...
Sigh...

2 Removed For Haircut in Stands...

R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
jazzyg United States of America

Post by jazzyg »

I can't recall anyone saying Krygios was unbeatable.

I do think he played well enough to win tonight. He just didn't get it done. The drop shot to break back in the fifth that went into the net probably determined the winner in a highly entertaining last two sets (I did not start watching until the end of the third set).

This was Kyrgios' best chance ever to win a slam, and I doubt he will stay focused enough or work hard enough to get in this position again. I hope to be wrong because even though I can't stand his histrionics, I love his actual game and his versatility.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

One never knows about Kyrgios, but I would argue that his chances on grass are even better than on hard.
meganfernandez United States of America

'22 USO Day 9 OoP & Discussion

Post by meganfernandez »

Not sure Nick is ever going to win one with his emotional state.

I know he was devastated (he said so) but he said he doesn’t care about any other tournaments now but the Slams. Because those are the only ones people remember. Said a lot of other things, too. Like nothing matters if you don’t win the Slam. You put in so much work and if you lose it means nothing. Talked about disappointing so many people. Not sure he has the emotions for this if he can’t take a hard loss. And I don’t think you can forsake the whole tour and be ready to win a Slam. It’s a shame, and very sad.

But maybe this is the part he improves and comes back more ready in a few years. I always wondered if he would have an Agassi-like metamorphosis and do better when he grows emotionally. And becomes the sage of the sport.

Agree about grass, though. Easier on the body, too.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Kyrgios still has time. Because of things here and there, he has not played a lot of matches: 199-112, for a bit over 300 matches. For a 27 yo, that is not excessive.
@jazzyg: while I did not voice out "unbeatable", that was my feeling. The level of play Vs Medvedev was very high, and I went by that. I feel now that that told us more about Medvedev's game than Kyrgios, but of course, that is in retrospect. For all his #1 stint, Daniil's sole tournament this year was Los Cabos, a minor one.
I guess I was taken by the flashiness of his game.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
mick1303 Ukraine

Post by mick1303 »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:06 pm
mick1303 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:20 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:17 pm The unofficial #1. Sure. Lendl was #1 in 89, by rankings. Everybody gave it to Becker, with his W and USO wins.
Bets year is Rafa's. The rest is up for debate.
I think that was the reference to 1983 rather than 1989. Lendl's first Slam came at 84 RG, but he first took #1 spot in March of 83.
No. This time I was talking along the lines of Rafa being #1 for the year, regardless of the rankings. In 1989, Lendl finished the year ranked #1 in the official rankings. Of course he had been #1 for a long time before that. But, in 89, Becker won the W/USO double, beating Lendl in the USO final. So, despite of the rankings, everybody agreed that Becker was the #1 for the year.
Remember that Becker was never a Year-End #1.
That was the comparison I was making. Of course, your figures about Lendl becoming #1 first in 1983 is totally correct.
I probably lost the track of conversation. I thought Lendl was referenced in the talk about slamless #1 before that.
3mlm United States of America

Post by 3mlm »

We can hope both Ruud and Alcaraz make the final. That way we're guaranteed to have a slam winner #1 and slam finalist #2.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

It hadn't dawn on me. That's a good point.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem