'22 USO Day 10 OoP & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
meganfernandez United States of America

'22 USO Day 10 OoP & Discussion

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote:A separate member has chastised us for our negative commentary about Ruud.
I could be guilty myself there. I’ll start paying more attention to knee-jerk reactions.

But Ruud isn’t a defending semifinalist here and recent world #2 and a constant target of derision. Not quite apples and oranges.
JTContinental United States of America

Re: '22 USO Day 10 OoP & Discussion

Post by JTContinental »

Tiafoe takes the first set tiebreak 7-3. It could have easily been 7-0, but Rublev had three random lucky shots on mis-hits that clipped the back of the line
nelslus United States of America

Post by nelslus »

meganfernandez wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 6:46 pm Would it kill people to just say she has played a great tournament, better than anyone expected, and leave it at that? Why does there have to be a negative? Y’ll are straining for negative things to say. This is what WTA players deal with - and women in general - that men don’t, for the most part.
I genuinely hate feeling like I have to make comments, because I would never want to invalidate the crap that women and women's players have to take- which is an understatement, obviously.

However...on THIS site, the male players don't get snark? Don't get major criticisms? Novak? Zverev? The Entire Generation of Male Choker Tennis Players Who Wilted for Decades During The Big 3 (and, now and then, the Big 4 or 5) era? Check out my recent posts on Sinner, Schwartzman, etc., etc.....

It's not exactly straining to question whether or not Sabalenka can win this or any Slam, with her history- and BARELY making it out at this Open, only due to the choking of Kanepi. I mean, except for how loud she is on the court (which I cannot stand)- I can love watching Sabalenka's game- when she's playing well.

The last thing I want to do is come off as a sexist a-hole. But, this is how I feel here.
Nelslus Revised TAT Signature Currently Under Repair. :gorgeous:

Post by nelslus »

meganfernandez wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 6:58 pm
ponchi101 wrote:A separate member has chastised us for our negative commentary about Ruud.
I could be guilty myself there. I’ll start paying more attention to knee-jerk reactions.

But Ruud isn’t a defending semifinalist here and recent world #2 and a constant target of derision. Not quite apples and oranges.
Ruud is a French Open finalist, now a US Open SEMFINALIST!!!! :oops:, his live ranking is #2, and he has gotten plenty of snark here. He just hasn't been a factor as long as Sabalenka.
Last edited by nelslus on Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

And in any case what kind of community would we be if we could only be positive on everyone all the time? A boring one I suspect. It would be different if all those players were participating here and reading us, but obviously they are not.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I think that critiquing a player's performance isn't necessarily sexist or picking on a player. I mean as nelslus mentioned there are several male players who are roundly criticized on this site. What can you say about players like Sabalenka or Sakkari that won't involve some negative talking points? Badosa? Even Iga has her weaknesses and it's not fair to only point out the good and not talk about when a player stinks up the joint.

Stefanos and Apostolos have their own sideshow going. Zverev isn't called by his Tennis Twitter nickname here but otherwise he gets dragged too.

I think that after this Open both tours are going to be fielding "top players" that in the recent past would've been middling at best. If you want to see real trolling there are other sites where that's a blood sport and flame wars are a main feature of the sites.

I think we're good here.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Post by meganfernandez »

nelslus wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:14 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 6:46 pm Would it kill people to just say she has played a great tournament, better than anyone expected, and leave it at that? Why does there have to be a negative? Y’ll are straining for negative things to say. This is what WTA players deal with - and women in general - that men don’t, for the most part.
I genuinely hate feeling like I have to make comments, because I would never want to invalidate the crap that women and women's players have to take- which is an understatement, obviously.

However...on THIS site, the male players don't get snark? Don't get major criticisms? Novak? Zverev? The Entire Generation of Male Choker Tennis Players Who Wilted for Decades During The Big 3 (and, now and then, the Big 4 or 5) era?

It's not exactly straining to question whether or not Sabalenka can win this or any Slam, with her history- and BARELY making it out at this Open, only due to the choking of Kanepi. I mean, except for how loud she is on the court (which I cannot stand)- I can love watching Sabalenka's game- when she's playing well.

The last thing I want to do is come off as a sexist a-hole. But, this is how I feel here.
You're right, it's not straining. It's reflexive with Sabalenka. :) I don't think you guys are sexist. I know you're not an a-hole.

I didn't say men don't get snark. I said women get more knee-jerk criticism and cynicism, and Sabalenka is a prime example. I'm sure a few fellow female fans here would agree. I mean, it's not even a serious discussion. I won't reply to any other comments about this. It's too tiresome and I've spent too much of my energy in life on it. But I feel strongly about speaking out when I see it. Even if I'm not 100% right, I'm more right than wrong.

Post by meganfernandez »

Suliso wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:23 pm And in any case what kind of community would we be if we could only be positive on everyone all the time? A boring one I suspect. It would be different if all those players were participating here and reading us, but obviously they are not.
Only being positive about everyone all the time is not close to what I said, or the spirit of it.
Last edited by meganfernandez on Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by nelslus »

I mean, seriously, I can also cop to, I would never want numerous players (Justine?!??!) to read my commentary on them. It IS painfully clear about the despicable horrors that women players (and all women) take on social media. I'll always be triggered by what happened to Marino- who is a huge heroine for me. I would never be able to take the crap that she and too many women players have taken.

Post by meganfernandez »

nelslus wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:19 pm

Ruud is a French Open finalist, now a US Open finalist, his live ranking is #2, and he has gotten plenty of snark here. He just hasn't been a factor as long as Sabalenka.
Ruud is a US Open finalist? Did Khachanov withdraw? Not being snarky, need to google it. Guessing it's a typo.
Last edited by meganfernandez on Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by nelslus »

I must also be clear that, I do not mean to negate Megan's opinions here. I'm forever LGBTQQIP2SAA-exhausted. No "right" or "wrong" here, even when we disagree on one specific point.

Post by nelslus »

meganfernandez wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:36 pm
nelslus wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:19 pm

Ruud is a French Open finalist, now a US Open finalist, his live ranking is #2, and he has gotten plenty of snark here. He just hasn't been a factor as long as Sabalenka.
Ruud is a US Open finalist? Did Khachanov withdraw? Not being snarky, need to google it. Guessing it's a typo.
LOL, correct assumption!! (And, PLEASE don't let this happen due to my typo, universe!!)
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

Tiafoe is rolling through these tiebreaks, and does win the second set one 7-0

Post by nelslus »

Another tiebreaker win for Frances in the second set- this time with the JT-approved 7-0.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

What an amazing tournament for him. I certainly did not expect it.