Fastbackss United States of America

Re: Did you play today?

Post by Fastbackss »

Thanks folks. Shall report out after.

Post by Fastbackss »

Well this is a bit of a letdown.

I asked, politely even, and the organizer spent way more time than I deserved answering my inquiries.

Turns out it's all automated software.
The organizer puts in the entries, and whether or not there is a split (yes in this case).
The software calculates how many in each flight, who goes there, and who is seeded.
Organizer has a chance to overrule (for example if a known good player has no ranking and would be in the lower flight).
Noted the oddity in "my placement" but didn't know why and didn't feel was enough to justify some sort of change.

Guess I can't argue given it's ostensibly automated.

(And yes I got obliterated - but will say it is not often I am happy in how I played when the bread factory is open and humming. Here's to hoping my game is like that tomorrow in the consolation bracket )
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

Fastbackss wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:46 am
(And yes I got obliterated - but will say it is not often I am happy in how I played when the bread factory is open and humming. Here's to hoping my game is like that tomorrow in the consolation bracket )
I lost 1 and 1 today in doubles, to an evenly matched team, but i felt pretty good. Lots of close games, my partner was rusty, and my contacts were so off it was like I was wearing someone else's. I took them out and cleaned them and switched eyes twice. It was like playing in a smoke-filled room. So odd. I couldn't see the ball in the air on overheads, and I shanked a few. But it made me concentrate more and I played pretty well. I also lost in singles 2 and 2 recently, or even 2 and 0, against a former state high school champion, but I played well and fought my heart out. It's nice to be happy with how you played and competed despite the score.

I'm in a tournament Sunday. We never have tournaments in Indianapolis. I don't think this is a USTA tournament. Just a one-day club event with 8-game pro sets. I hope I can see. Different venue.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

At our level, it is not if you won or lost. It is: how well did you hit the ball?
It is not the finish line, it is the trip.
Glad you are feeling good about your game :thumbsup:
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Post by Fastbackss »

ponchi101 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:28 am At our level, it is not if you won or lost. It is: how well did you hit the ball?
It is not the finish line, it is the trip.
Glad you are feeling good about your game :thumbsup:
Was listening to a tennis podcast recently (want to say it was doubles only but could have been Baseline Intelligence) and the pro being interviewed was asked about club players and said some form of this - that on our level it is more about working on specific goals and seeing if they come true (with what we are controlling)

Megan - good summary of your play. Certainly hope tomorrow goes better. It isn't the same as a contacts issue but one of the nearby clubs has terrible lights - while another has different than standard and an odd-coloured roof. In both I lose overheads consistently.

Speaking of tournaments - I spoke to the Organizer about the dearth of tournaments. It is part of why she tries to run so many.
She said this one is monthly and this weekend's is the most "logistically diverse." Of the 15 adults playing 6 of them are driving three hours or more to play - including a player from Canada, one from Indiana, and one from Illinois. So yeah I would say people are desperate for tourney play.

PS - I will expect and look for your update to be posted here. And not on Twitter ;)
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

My definition of a good training session: I will hit TWO of each of these:
A good forehand. It will have pace, it will have the spin I want, I will hit it in front of my body, I will feel I have control of the shot.
A good BH, of each kind: one slice, one topspin. The same as above.
A good volley, from each side: I will punch it solidly, it will have pace and control.
A good serve: it will go where I want it to go, meaning I will think about a spot in the service box, and it will have the effect I want: flat, slice, kick.
With my age, one good smash. Anywhere it lands.

If I can hit those during my session, it will be a good one. It matters little if I "won or lost".

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote:My definition of a good training session: I will hit TWO of each of these:
A good forehand. It will have pace, it will have the spin I want, I will hit it in front of my body, I will feel I have control of the shot.
A good BH, of each kind: one slice, one topspin. The same as above.
A good volley, from each side: I will punch it solidly, it will have pace and control.
A good serve: it will go where I want it to go, meaning I will think about a spot in the service box, and it will have the effect I want: flat, slice, kick.
With my age, one good smash. Anywhere it lands.

If I can hit those during my session, it will be a good one. It matters little if I "won or lost".
That’s a good way to think about it. I want to be consistent and concentrated and hit the ball in front of me and watch it hit the strings.

A lot of things used to bug me about tennis. Now the thing that bugs me is that I don’t really know what to do in a match as much as i should. I know I’m not deploying the right strategy. I know there is a winning form of my game that I don’t understand. Other people seem to win easily and know what to do and CAN do it consistently. I haven’t found that version of my game in 35 years. And I have the pieces. I know I do. Just can’t out them together well.

Usually it doesn’t bother me but if I think about it, it does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

I currently have tennis elbow in my non-dominant left elbow completely unrelated to tennis. (opportunity to develop one handed backhand maybe?)

Post by meganfernandez »

Owendonovan wrote:I currently have tennis elbow in my non-dominant left elbow completely unrelated to tennis. (opportunity to develop one handed backhand maybe?)
Oh no! Are you sidelined?

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Owendonovan wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:01 pm I currently have tennis elbow in my non-dominant left elbow completely unrelated to tennis. (opportunity to develop one handed backhand maybe?)
Completely.
Go for a full western grip, ala Stan. His is the best grip to use for a power shot.
Under no circumstance try to use Stefanos as an example. Too much strain on the wrist.
But start with a nice slice and a solid eastern BH grip. It will give you the right cadence.
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

meganfernandez wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:27 pm
Owendonovan wrote:I currently have tennis elbow in my non-dominant left elbow completely unrelated to tennis. (opportunity to develop one handed backhand maybe?)
Oh no! Are you sidelined?

Yes, for a few weeks at least. Tendonitis was already starting and a bit of a muscle tear spotting a kid at work. Doing everything, (lasers, sonography, massage, brace, sling) to not have surgery or a shot
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

I love to just hit the ball, rally for 10-20 shots, not play points.. the only rhythm we get in tennis is when we are warming up! trouble is, the fellows at the club are so competive, they want to play games, sets even, rather than just hit.
I first learned the joys of just rallying when I began to rally with my girlfriend at UCLA... we coultn play points becuse I was always too strong and quick for it to be competitive, but she had a smooth style and could always return my serve.. (it certainly turned out well.. we are now married, 40 years now)
BTW, I read somewhere that Seles did just that for practice - no points, just hitting..
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Doesn't everybody? I have seen Rafa and Carlitos rally, just for the rhythm, as you say. Down the middle, 3/4 pace (for them, it would be 150% for us), just make sure that you are constantly moving your feet, and that your form is proper.
I will play a TB at the end of my session, just because the rhythm is different. You have to serve and then return to the position from where you rally (for me, about 1.5 - 2 mts behind the baseline). And I will still try to S&V a couple of shots, just to remember how is it to hit the serve and spring forward.
I gave up competing a long time ago. People get to be too intense.
Story.
I was playing a tournament, and quickly fell 0-4 in the first set. I said to myself "just rally, keep the ball in, get some rhythm". I dropped the first set 6-4. I kept playing at a slow pace, working out the slow clay, reaching everything and going for a 3/4 ball down the middle or crosscourt. I took the second 6-1.
While we are changing sides, the guy (whom I did not know) looks at me and says: "the only thing you do is get to everything", sort of trying to put me down. I said; "no, it is just that you don't hit hard enough".
6-0 third set for me, as he decided to hit harder and the errors piled up. We finished the set and I am walking to the net, to shake hands and he grabs his bags and leaves the court, all huffing. That was the day I decided "I don't need this (expletive). It is no fun".
I stopped playing tourneys then or short after. Don't miss it one bit.

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:34 pm Doesn't everybody? I have seen Rafa and Carlitos rally, just for the rhythm, as you say. Down the middle, 3/4 pace (for them, it would be 150% for us), just make sure that you are constantly moving your feet, and that your form is proper.
I will play a TB at the end of my session, just because the rhythm is different. You have to serve and then return to the position from where you rally (for me, about 1.5 - 2 mts behind the baseline). And I will still try to S&V a couple of shots, just to remember how is it to hit the serve and spring forward.
I gave up competing a long time ago. People get to be too intense.
Story.
I was playing a tournament, and quickly fell 0-4 in the first set. I said to myself "just rally, keep the ball in, get some rhythm". I dropped the first set 6-4. I kept playing at a slow pace, working out the slow clay, reaching everything and going for a 3/4 ball down the middle or crosscourt. I took the second 6-1.
While we are changing sides, the guy (whom I did not know) looks at me and says: "the only thing you do is get to everything", sort of trying to put me down. I said; "no, it is just that you don't hit hard enough".
6-0 third set for me, as he decided to hit harder and the errors piled up. We finished the set and I am walking to the net, to shake hands and he grabs his bags and leaves the court, all huffing. That was the day I decided "I don't need this (expletive). It is no fun".
I stopped playing tourneys then or short after. Don't miss it one bit.
It took me a while to appreciate good defense and ball control on defense. I was just on the losing side of one of the matches you described above (but I didn't have a bad attitude about it). I couldn't punch through without making mistakes, and I can't put away a short ball or volley very well, so I don't have many good ways to end points against a human backboard. It can be very frustrating. But she won the whole tournament and beat other solid, offensive-minded 4.0s like me with an ugly game. I have no one to be upset with except myself - but it took me a while to get there.

I play matches for the exercise and mental/emotional growth. Learning to compete has helped me off the court, even at this late stage in life. That's one of the reasons I like tennis - I have been able to experience the benefits of competition in middle age. (And sometimes the match is really fun, but it's hit and miss.) I've also met a lot of friends through tennis. But i do enjoy just rallying. I certainly hit the ball better, and it's a pleasure to hit clean groundies and glide around the court..
Last edited by meganfernandez on Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by meganfernandez »

ashkor87 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:47 pm I love to just hit the ball, rally for 10-20 shots, not play points.. the only rhythm we get in tennis is when we are warming up! trouble is, the fellows at the club are so competive, they want to play games, sets even, rather than just hit.
I first learned the joys of just rallying when I began to rally with my girlfriend at UCLA... we coultn play points becuse I was always too strong and quick for it to be competitive, but she had a smooth style and could always return my serve.. (it certainly turned out well.. we are now married, 40 years now)
BTW, I read somewhere that Seles did just that for practice - no points, just hitting..
Didn't know you have lived in the US!