by ponchi101 We talk a lot about tennis. We seldom talk about OUR tennis.
---0---
I went back on court today, after 2 1/2 years off. Multiple reasons, which include an elbow injury and the pandemic.
To say I was rusty is an understatement. Very little mobility, and the footwork was clumsy and slow. I did not lose too much power in my grip (I did re-grip my racket with a tacky overwrap, which helped) but had to take it very slow. Started with some volleys, moved to the back, just wanted to get depth and height over the net, and be able to keep a 50% pace rally for more than 10 shots.
Had to take more frequent breaks: one every 10 minutes, as opposed to my usual 1 every 20. My strokes were not as terrible as I expected (they were still putrid, but not as much) but I was able to whiplash two good BH's down the line.
My service motion is gone. I can't toss the ball in any consistent spot, and my arm speed is null. Still, after a few tries, I got a few serves in. No kicks, slices or any technical shots, just flat and smooth, trying to get some arm strength and speed. It will take a while for me to recover the stroke, as it has always been my most difficult shot.

But the joy. I walked off court and was so happy. I love skiing, I love my diving, I have fun when I play padel with my loony friends. But I am a tennis player; this is the purest form of joy I get in life. The discipline, the challenge, the setting. I have joked that I am not sure if I want to be buried under the snow of a skiing slope, or under a tennis court. But now, after today, please, let it be on the court. Not now, of course, but when the time comes, let me croak my last breath at the Service T. It will be adequate.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:42 am We talk a lot about tennis. We seldom talk about OUR tennis.
---0---
I went back on court today, after 2 1/2 years off. Multiple reasons, which include an elbow injury and the pandemic.
To say I was rusty is an understatement. Very little mobility, and the footwork was clumsy and slow. I did not lose too much power in my grip (I did re-grip my racket with a tacky overwrap, which helped) but had to take it very slow. Started with some volleys, moved to the back, just wanted to get depth and height over the net, and be able to keep a 50% pace rally for more than 10 shots.
Had to take more frequent breaks: one every 10 minutes, as opposed to my usual 1 every 20. My strokes were not as terrible as I expected (they were still putrid, but not as much) but I was able to whiplash two good BH's down the line.
My service motion is gone. I can't toss the ball in any consistent spot, and my arm speed is null. Still, after a few tries, I got a few serves in. No kicks, slices or any technical shots, just flat and smooth, trying to get some arm strength and speed. It will take a while for me to recover the stroke, as it has always been my most difficult shot.

But the joy. I walked off court and was so happy. I love skiing, I love my diving, I have fun when I play padel with my loony friends. But I am a tennis player; this is the purest form of joy I get in life. The discipline, the challenge, the setting. I have joked that I am not sure if I want to be buried under the snow of a skiing slope, or under a tennis court. But now, after today, please, let it be on the court. Not now, of course, but when the time comes, let me croak my last breath at the Service T. It will be adequate.
I love this! You haven't hit a ball in 2.5 years? Wow... I can't imagine. It's going to take several months of regular play to shake off a decent amount of rust. Give yourself time, enjoy the process, don't get hurt. Are you going to be able to play regularly?

Were your strings still good??

I've been off a week and I thought that was a lot. I usually play 3-5 times a week, but backed off a little this summer and haven't minded. I was losing some joy for it for sure. Burnt out, frustrated, elbows hurt. Looking forward to fall leagues, though. I don't think I love it as much as you do. Sometimes I think I don't LOVE tennis at all. My sister has fun every time she steps onto the court. She just likes to be out there. Not me. I'm not uptight about winning or losing, but it's not sheer fun for me, either. Some days are more fun than others. I feel lost on the court more than I should. I just want the clarity of knowing what to do in a match (mostly singles) and as things change. I feel feeble-minded sometimes and I hate that and it shouldn't be like that as long as I have played.

Anyway, I agree, I wish we talked more about our own tennis.

I did not play today. I walked by the courts in my neighborhood and a local college team was practicing. I support that team and take clinics with the assistant coaches, so it was great to see them hitting. Made me want to play. I don't even have anything lined up until next Thursday, but will probably get out there this weekend. Maybe tomorrow evening.

by Deuce So far in the 13 days of September, I’ve played tennis 3 times, and pickleball 4 times. So, basically every 2 days or so, it’s one or the other. The pickleball is scheduled with a league on certain nights, but the tennis is just informally self-arranged. There was a potential mixed doubles thing with some new people last weekend that fell through - maybe it’ll happen this weekend...

As much as I enjoy pickleball (a lot more than I thought I would), I am first and foremost a tennis player at heart. I’ve been playing tennis for a little over 40 years. They’re putting pickleball lines on some tennis courts around North America, which I hate... and if it ever came down to a rumble between tennis players and pickleball players for the territory, I’ll be on the tennis side all the way.

It’s not easy for me to find tennis players of a compatible level... I’ve been playing for a long time, and so obviously know and understand the game well.... and I used to be able to play at a 5.0 level (on certain days - and 4.0 on other certain days!)... So I play at a higher level than the vast majority of players who use public courts... but most of the players at a similar level as me are honestly younger than me by several years - and they can simply maintain that level for longer than I can on a given day.
I’ve taken to playing more in the evenings, when it’s cooler - because the heat was really limiting me during the day - between the heat coming from the sun and the heat coming up from the (hard) courts, I felt like I was like suffocating inside an oven sometimes. Recent updates to 3 different local courts have resulted in excellent new LED lighting, so that certainly helps when playing at night.

I don’t play in the winter anymore, and when I go out for the first time in the spring, I can hit wonderfully or terribly - like pretty much every time I play throughout the season. I never know how I’ll hit until the first game is done with.

by ptmcmahon Did get out and played once with Son this summer, although we both play for fun. We went mid day in middle Summer so we only lasted about an hour or so.

Funny enough someone from my field hockey team showed up to play and he would blow me out of the water :)

by ashkor87 It is raining here in the early hours so the court (outdoor mud,) is not playable...should be ok soon...monsoon ending in a day or 2

by Owendonovan I play in the gym of the school I work any day I can sucker someone into playing with me. No net, just hitting back and forth, with lots of running around. I haven't played on court since the pandemic.The ball moves pretty fast on a polished hardwood floor.

by meganfernandez
Owendonovan wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:45 pm I play in the gym of the school I work any day I can sucker someone into playing with me. No net, just hitting back and forth, with lots of running around. I haven't played on court since the pandemic.The ball moves pretty fast on a polished hardwood floor.
I bet! Yikes. But you never make an unforced error.

by dave g Living in a small town in northeastern Minnesota means that I can only play tennis in the summer, because there are no indoor courts near me. While we have someone who will drive 60 miles each way to play on indoor courts, I am not willing to do that, yet. We do have a one-night-a-week tennis group. We usually have a singles league followed by a doubles league. Participation is down this summer; I thnk that is because people feel like they can travel again and are tyring to fill their backlog of travel wishes. Since a large portion of us are retired, people have gotten into traveling a lot this summer.

So, like Duece, I play a fair amount of pickleball, three days a week, because you can play it indoors year-round.

I use to be a 3.5 when I was living in Charleston S.C., and playing a log. I am still not back up to that leverl. Most of the other people in my community are either 3.5 or 3.0. While my serve and some other strokes aren't fully back yet, my biggest problem has been caused by changing glasses. With my new glasses, when the balls get close to me they are about 2-3 inches closer to me than they looked using the old presciptions. So, I went a year or two framing and mishitting the ball alot before I figured out what was going on. I have learned to try to hit my groundstrokes with the tip of my racquet, so that the balls actually hit the strings. But volleys are still problematic, which is made worst by the fact that I am basically a doubles player.

by ponchi101 Thanks for the comments.
@Megan. The strings were alright. I am using Wilson Revolve Spin, 17 gauge polyesters, so they felt fine. Anyway, I do not string them too tight, around 56 Lbs, so they did not lose much. They felt well for my old Wilsons N-Code Tours (Justine's and Lindsey's racquets).
I was not playing a match yesterday as much as I was just training and hitting the ball. I made a decision, ages ago, NOT to play anymore in "competitive mode"; I really am not looking at wins or losses, I only focus on how well I played. Like Deuce, at my peak I am a 5.0, although usually I am around a 4.5. It also depends a lot on whom I am playing, as I use my opponent's pace a lot.
I will go play again tomorrow.

Bit of a fun story.
About 5-6 years ago, I had finished a training session and the owner/pro at the place I train approached me to see if I wanted to hit with a young guy. The pro is a former Colombian DC player, who played and worked with the likes of Ashe, Laver and the early 70's crew. The young guy was training for the Bogota Cup (still played in the men's in those days) and needed a work out. I said I was not good enough, but they said it was just for losing up his arm. We did several drills and kept the ball in play, and then he asked if I minded a quick set (he did not say quick, he was very polite). He wanted to warm up his serve. We did, and he beat me 6-1, and I actually broke his serve.
He played the cup and lost in the first round, 1 & 1. And it is funny now because, you know who he lost in R1? Casper Ruud (he was like 17). So my degree of separation with the ATP is 2 ;)
Today: my arm does not hurt so much. I am surprised.

by atlpam I stopped playing tennis about 10 years ago due to foot issues, so I could focus on hiking/walking as my primary activity. I miss the fun of playing with friends but I had grown tired of the leagues because people took it far too seriously. I have started to play pickleball when we are at our Vermont home since they created a court at the bottom of the mountain where we live. It is lots of summer/second home folks and most of us are new to pickleball (although many are former tennis players). The smack of the paddle on the whiffle ball doesn't feel quite as nice as hitting a tennis ball in the sweet spot, but the enjoyment of hitting for fun has returned.

by ponchi101 Day 2 of the return.
Today the focus was on extension of my shots. Making sure that at impact my arm is properly extended and the shot is hit with the racquet by my side, not scooping it. A lot harder than day 1; I don't have the strength yet to keep the racquet firmly going through the strike zone. It was easier on the BH because I have always had better mechanics there, but of course, I am trying to dictate with the FH.
Did a drill for that: from the baseline, hit the ball on a low trajectory but hit it OUTSIDE of the court. First six balls, 2 out. Second 6, 4 out. Third 6, 5. We then started rallying.
I also did my usual "two at the net volleying" drill, for warm up. But then we moved to volleys from the service line, so you have to punch them more solidly.
Blisters are forming in hand. A good sign. It means I am working harder. A long way to go, still.

by ashkor87 Drills are always more fun than playing points ...
I always prefer to just hit than to play a set...unfortunately most of my club buddies are too competitive so they want to play a set .
My wife is the only person who enjoys just hitting, so we do that when we can...competing with your spouse is never a good idea anyway!! Btw that Wilson Clash racket is working out great for her...

by ponchi101 We had not asked you about it (the racquet). Glad to hear that.
Yes, I prefer to just hit nowadays. Too many lousy memories of hyper competitive people behaving as if it was Championship point at Wimbledon. Just go out, work out, strike the ball. Enjoy the hour.

by Deuce
ashkor87 wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:40 am Drills are always more fun than playing points ...
I always prefer to just hit than to play a set...unfortunately most of my club buddies are too competitive so they want to play a set .
My wife is the only person who enjoys just hitting, so we do that when we can...competing with your spouse is never a good idea anyway!! Btw that Wilson Clash racket is working out great for her...
I much prefer to play sets than to just rally. And I never do drills of any sort.
First of all, by playing a set, both players get to serve and return. When just rallying, these two strokes are ignored.
Secondly, and most importantly, in playing a set, you also get to practice situational tennis, and how to deal with different circumstances. And so it's a psychological practice/sharpening just as much as it is a physical one. You don't get that when just rallying, obviously.

I long for the day that I play just as freely and just as well in a set as I hit when just rallying. Countless are the times when I've been hitting great in the brief warm-up before starting a set, but once the points are counted, I play terribly. That's 100% psychological - the addition of consequences makes a huge difference (BUT IT SHOULDN'T!!).

by ashkor87 There were only 3 of us at the court today, so we played 'tringles' - 2 against 1 .we play 3 games and then rotate..the player playing alone has to defend the singles court, the pair has to defend the entire court..everyone serves once..
I find this game very interesting tactically..when you are playing alone, against 2 players who are good volleyers, you need to get to the net right away! Scoring is- every game has 2 points ..the doubles team splits them if they win...
Lots of fun and good exercise!!

by ponchi101 It is very good training. The singles player has to do most of the work, but then gets a break.
Should be hitting a bit later today. Cloudy and cold, so if it stays that way, it may be an easy session.

by meganfernandez
ashkor87 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:40 am There were only 3 of us at the court today, so we played 'tringles' - 2 against 1 .we play 3 games and then rotate..the player playing alone has to defend the singles court, the pair has to defend the entire court..everyone serves once..
I find this game very interesting tactically..when you are playing alone, against 2 players who are good volleyers, you need to get to the net right away! Scoring is- every game has 2 points ..the doubles team splits them if they win...
Interesting. When we have 3, we play 21. It's all singles with rotation every 2 points, but every person is in for 4 points at a time. Each person serves for 4 points, sits out 2, returns for 4, sits out 2, serves for 4, and so on. First to 21 points wins. Every two points, you switch something and end up playing a different opponent.

It looks like this: I return two versus Player A , then return two versus Player B, then sit out for two, then serve two vs player A, then serve two versus player B, then sit out for two, and so on.

I haven't played in 6 days. Still taking it a bit easy before fall leagues and clinics start. Might go serve a bucket of balls tonight. There are nice courts in my neighborhood.

by ponchi101 Day 3. A bit better. Maybe more than a bit. The FH volley is gone and due to a new medical condition, can't really stretch for serving (hello, hernia). But overall, the strokes were better. Left my trainer flat footed with two BH crosscourts that were properly angled.
The hands are feeling better. Plus, it ended up being a perfect day: maybe 65°F, a bit cloudy, not too cold, not too hot.

by ponchi101
meganfernandez wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:35 pm ...

I haven't played in 6 days. Still taking it a bit easy before fall leagues and clinics start. Might go serve a bucket of balls tonight. There are nice courts in my neighborhood.
We used to have one that was good. Then, the city re-surfaced it. WITH LITERAL STREET ASPHALT. You can wear a pair of shoes, and/or break and ankle, in one session. Therefore, no way I am playing there anymore.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:46 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:35 pm ...

We used to have one that was good. Then, the city re-surfaced it. WITH LITERAL STREET ASPHALT. You can wear a pair of shoes, and/or break and ankle, in one session. Therefore, no way I am playing there anymore.
What were they thinking? Just cheapskates?

by ponchi101 The lousy major that we had decided that the court had to be open "to the people". So he had it resurfaced, but of course, this monkey knew nothing about tennis.
And he is the current president. You know, where I live.

by ashkor87
meganfernandez wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:35 pm
ashkor87 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:40 am There were only 3 of us at the court today, so we played 'tringles' - 2 against 1 .we play 3 games and then rotate..the player playing alone has to defend the singles court, the pair has to defend the entire court..everyone serves once..
Interesting. When we have 3, we play 21. It's all singles with rotation every 2 points, but every person is in for 4 points at a time. Each person serves for 4 points, sits out 2, returns for 4, sits out 2, serves for 4, and so on. First to 21 points wins. Every two points, you switch something and end up playing a different opponent.

It looks like this: I return two versus Player A , then return two versus Player B, then sit out for two, then serve two vs player A, then serve two versus player B, then sit out for two, and so on.

Nice..but don't you cool off too much between turns? Our problem is we don't want to make anyone just sit and wait, if at all possible..
Also, it was about to rain any minute so ...

by Deuce I hate it when people who have no athletic background and have no idea what they're doing make important decisions about sports.
Here, they completely tore down and rebuilt 3 separate tennis facilities. In the first one they did, they replaced 3 courts with 3 courts - though they could have fit 4 courts - and at the same time change the orientation so that the sun would not be setting in one player's eyes all the time. I communicated with them that they could have fit 4 courts in the area during the re-build, and that they really should AT THE VERY LEAST consult with people who know and understand a given sport BEFORE they change, build, or modify anything relating to the sport - and I offered myself as one such person.

The following year, they tore down and re-built another tennis area - this time replacing 4 courts with 5 courts... so perhaps my words had some influence.
They also tore down and re-built a third tennis area, replacing 4 courts with 4 courts - but that was all they could do with that one.
At all the re-built courts, they installed wonderful new LED lighting, which means it's now feasible to play at night and actually see the ball.

This year, they built us 6 new pickleball courts (from scratch). The surface is beautiful - 2 colours, and done with 'tennis court paint'. There is a 3 foot high metal fence separating the courts. The problem is that these short fences are only 3 feet from the extremities of the court. This is fine for beginner and maybe even intermediate level play... but at the advanced level, we're running around all over the place, and hitting shots around the post is not uncommon (pickleball is a game of angles). Now, though, with the fences in such close proximity, around the post shots are much more rare. And running into the fence is more common.

They just don't understand (or don't care) that it takes someone who knows and understands a given sport to be in on decisions about things like building new facilities. Otherwise, it's like having a plumber build a car.

by ashkor87 One ritual we have is to play for an hour, then stop for tea..these days the cook at the club is away so one of us has to bring the tea..today was my turn, got up at 430 to do my morning routine so I could get to the court by 615..we have the court till 8 am..perfect weather for tennis..!

by ponchi101 Sounds like fun.
But I could never play at that hour. I am not a morning person, so at that hour I have zero coordination. :)

by ashkor87
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:30 pm Sounds like fun.
But I could never play at that hour. I am not a morning person, so at that hour I have zero coordination. :)
Too hot rest of the day! And all working people..

by ponchi101 Good training session today.
Got new balls, my now beloved Tretorn Pressureless Pro Control. Hard as rocks, but they give you a crisp feel. However, price has gone up again: around $7/ box of three. Then they wonder why Colombia cannot produce any proper tennis players (Osorio and Galan are the only two). This for a country with more population than Spain.
The BH was a bit off, maybe because of the new balls. Could not get consistent speed of the shot, and the slice was not biting. I was late with my stride into the ball. Something to work on on Friday.
Since I knew that I would be serving very poorly, simply decided to work on speed and loosening up the shoulder. So, I told my trainer that I would simply serve from my back, trying to put enough speed to fly the ball OUTSIDE his baseline. First serve landed in the service box, proof that I had no speed. A few minutes of this and I was able to get s bit more oomph, but I am still too slow on my backswing.
The blister in my hand had busted so by now it is dry, about to form a good, clean, nice callus.

by meganfernandez i was supposed to play today, but it was too windy. I hate playing in the wind, and this was supposed to be a fun hit, so I cancelled. Leagues start this weekend but they will be indoors until May, so there is no need to ruin my mood practicing in the wind.

by ashkor87
meganfernandez wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:13 am i was supposed to play today, but it was too windy. I hate playing in the wind, and this was supposed to be a fun hit, so I cancelled. Leagues start this weekend but they will be indoors until May, so there is no need to ruin my mood practicing in the wind.
Those leagues are fun.
Get to meet new people etc ..I used to play the Volvo league in Virginia..
Only problem is I used to get calls from the Volvo team captain and my secy thought they were from the Volvo dealer .I had to reassure her I cannot afford a Volvo!

by meganfernandez
ashkor87 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:49 am
meganfernandez wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:13 am i was supposed to play today, but it was too windy. I hate playing in the wind, and this was supposed to be a fun hit, so I cancelled. Leagues start this weekend but they will be indoors until May, so there is no need to ruin my mood practicing in the wind.
Those leagues are fun.
Get to meet new people etc ..I used to play the Volvo league in Virginia..
Only problem is I used to get calls from the Volvo team captain and my secy thought they were from the Volvo dealer .I had to reassure her I cannot afford a Volvo!
I play USTA leagues, and yes, I think they are fun. Some people get bent out of shape about the results, but overall it's a nice community. I captain a couple teams, and they aren't built to win. I want to play with friends and also create chances for people to play. Someone has to captain.

by ashkor87
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:38 pm Good training session today.
Got new balls, my now beloved Tretorn Pressureless Pro Control. Hard as rocks, but they give you a crisp feel. However, price has gone up again: around $7/ box of three. Then they wonder why Colombia cannot produce any proper tennis players (Osorio and Galan are the only two). This for a country with more population than Spain.
The BH was a bit off, maybe because of the new balls. Could not get consistent speed of the shot, and the slice was not biting. I was late with my stride into the ball. Something to work on on Friday.
Since I knew that I would be serving very poorly, simply decided to work on speed and loosening up the shoulder. So, I told my trainer that I would simply serve from my back, trying to put enough speed to fly the ball OUTSIDE his baseline. First serve landed in the service box, proof that I had no speed. A few minutes of this and I was able to get s bit more oomph, but I am still too slow on my backswing.
The blister in my hand had busted so by now it is dry, about to form a good, clean, nice callus.
ooh.. I hate those Tretorn balls, feels like playing with rocks.. glad to see you being so positive about callouses!

by ashkor87 rains have stopped here so we can play every day.. I end up playing Mon wed Friday Saturday, almost 2 hours every day.. that is quite a lot! and I am getting old, need more rest..
I found, around the age of 60, my eyesight beginning to go, I was not sighting the ball in time, was actually getting hit at the net, which never happened to me before.. have to adapt now, I guess.. less of rushing to the net, cant jump too well, so lobbing me is easy.. oh well.. stay back more, I guess.

by ponchi101
ashkor87 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:18 pm ...

ooh.. I hate those Tretorn balls, feels like playing with rocks.. glad to see you being so positive about callouses!
I really like Tretorns :) But remember, I am playing at 2,800 Mts OSL. Playing with a regular Wilson, for example, is almost impossible unless you can put Rafa-like topspin on them.
You don't have callouses? I need to "cultivate" them, almost. By now, I have the one on my index finger (roughly to the side of the finger), and one each at the base of the middle and ring fingers. Plus, the internal side of my thumb. Otherwise, I cannot grip my racquet well.
And I play with a tacky overwrap. :D

by ponchi101
ashkor87 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:21 pm rains have stopped here so we can play every day.. I end up playing Mon wed Friday Saturday, almost 2 hours every day.. that is quite a lot! and I am getting old, need more rest..
I found, around the age of 60, my eyesight beginning to go, I was not sighting the ball in time, was actually getting hit at the net, which never happened to me before.. have to adapt now, I guess.. less of rushing to the net, cant jump too well, so lobbing me is easy.. oh well.. stay back more, I guess.
Yesterday I hit a good approach and charged the net. My trainer got to the ball but could only throw up a lob. It was good but not great, and I was ready to jump and try the smash. Then my hernia said "Hi, I'm STILL here", and the lob went over me.
So sad, to be this old on a court.

by ashkor87 At my level, not the professional level, the serve is so important, it is almost absurd...especially in singles..there are several players who have better forehands and backhands than I do, but none of them stand a chance against me in an actual game of singles..because my serve is so much better..most folks are the club level can't serve at all, they just push the ball in anyhow...
At the pro level,everyone has a decent serve..
Thinking back, I credit my serve to the fact that, when I was 10 or 12, I had nobody to play with, but had access to a court (built by my dad!) So all I could do was serve and serve for hours on end...
Strange how these things work out .

by ponchi101 That's an interesting take. If you ONLY serve (of course you did more), that is the stroke you hone best.
Come to think about it, I did not do that too much when a kid. Maybe the reason why my serve is so inconsistent.

by ashkor87 Well I did walk over to pick up the balls so I could serve again but that is literally what I did, there was nobody on the other side..

by ponchi101 For the week.
Yesterday, a damn good training session. On Tuesday I wanted to focus on two things.
1. My FH volley was sucking big time. My grip was too much eastern BH, as opposed to a true continental. I just slightly put a bit more of the ball in my hand on the first edge of my grip (assuming you have an octagonal grip, like most are), being able to put a bit more power on the grip. A few minutes of training and a lot of improvement. My BH volley did not suffer, but I have always felt that the BH volley is the simplest stroke of them all, biomechanically speaking.
2. My cross court FH was sucking just as bad. So, a full session of going that way whenever my trainer hit to my FH, and it got a bit better. It has always been a tough stroke for me, as I prefer to go down the line, and I have the tendency to let it drop too much when it comes cross court. But it improved.

I was able to hit one monster combination; as I say, one of those shots that would make Rod Laver raise an eyebrow. One good cross court FH which my trainer barely got to, but he was able to place his shot down the line. I got there in time, and was able to crush a BH cross court out of his reach. Most important, the entire sequence was what I thought it would be.
The serve still lacks power. I have still not recovered all my strength there.

Most important. I am leaving the court wanting more. I don't want my hour to end. It is being thoroughly enjoyable. :)

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 4:40 pm For the week.
Yesterday, a damn good training session. On Tuesday I wanted to focus on two things.
1. My FH volley was sucking big time. My grip was too much eastern BH, as opposed to a true continental. I just slightly put a bit more of the ball in my hand on the first edge of my grip (assuming you have an octagonal grip, like most are), being able to put a bit more power on the grip. A few minutes of training and a lot of improvement. My BH volley did not suffer, but I have always felt that the BH volley is the simplest stroke of them all, biomechanically speaking.
2. My cross court FH was sucking just as bad. So, a full session of going that way whenever my trainer hit to my FH, and it got a bit better. It has always been a tough stroke for me, as I prefer to go down the line, and I have the tendency to let it drop too much when it comes cross court. But it improved.

I was able to hit one monster combination; as I say, one of those shots that would make Rod Laver raise an eyebrow. One good cross court FH which my trainer barely got to, but he was able to place his shot down the line. I got there in time, and was able to crush a BH cross court out of his reach. Most important, the entire sequence was what I thought it would be.
The serve still lacks power. I have still not recovered all my strength there.

Most important. I am leaving the court wanting more. I don't want my hour to end. It is being thoroughly enjoyable. :)
Things are coming along! Nice work. The high forehand volley is one of my worst shots. Looks easier than it is. I play my first singles match in 2 months tomorrow.

by ponchi101 Oh, the HIGH FH volley is a killer shot, for the executioner. Of course, I know the THEORY, but getting it right is tough. Run THROUGH the ball, with the wrist locked, and no swing at all. If you stop halfway, you dump it into the net.
To me, find a video of Mandlikova. The best FH volley of all time, male or female. Her eyes were glued to the ball and she did just that: run through it. In this age of swinging volleys that are missed or simply get hit back to the opponent, she should be paid thousands to teach the new generation.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 2:31 pm Oh, the HIGH FH volley is a killer shot, for the executioner. Of course, I know the THEORY, but getting it right is tough. Run THROUGH the ball, with the wrist locked, and no swing at all. If you stop halfway, you dump it into the net.
To me, find a video of Mandlikova. The best FH volley of all time, male or female. Her eyes were glued to the ball and she did just that: run through it. In this age of swinging volleys that are missed or simply get hit back to the opponent, she should be paid thousands to teach the new generation.
Thanks, I'll try to lok that up. If it's a soft ball, you have to run through it to get some pace on it, right? Your legs have to create the pace or, as you said, it dumps into the net. But if it's not a soft ball ... well, then it should be flying out. :) But often it's when I'm already at the net, not coming up on the ball mid-court. And I still don't stick it. I watch plenty of women I play against handle this ball like it's candy, so it seems easy, and I just can't get it.

by ponchi101 If you are already at the net, you have to cut diagonally. Easier said than done. Try it just by shadow boxing: if you go for a high FH, but cut sideways, your wrist will naturally rotate facing OUT.
You have to be on those toes and step forward, BUT keep moving forward or after you step, your racquet head will drop. As I say, a very tough shot.

by meganfernandez Played my first singles match in a couple months yesterday, as fall leagues started. Didn't expect much. My opponent was a slightly better player, and we were both off. But I was serving better and more positive. I gutted out the first set 6-4 on my fifth or sixth set point, just as negativity was setting in, then she played a lot better and won the second 6-2.

In the match TB, we lost track of the score early on. It really should have been 2-3 my serve, but we settled on going back to 2-1 her serve and replayed 2 points, which she won, so I served at 1-4 instead - a two-point swing in her favor. I was thinking about that and then what I would have for lunch, and before I knew it, it was 1-7.

Then I found my game and reeled off a bunch of points. Receiving at 8-8, I got a second serve to my FH, my bread and butter. And I made a mess of it. I double-faulted at 8-9, but she played the ball! (Maybe she was right and it was in.) I had hesitated and had to lunge for her midcourt return, and I scraped it off the court and it went over. She didn't get to it. She made two errors and I won the match 11-9, winning 10 of the last 12 points in the TB.

It was the deciding court for our league match, and an upset.

Hallelujah! I'm tempted to say I didn't deserve it - the match should have been on her racket - but she was so down on herself and I stayed positive and kept trying to problem-solve. Got a little lucky in the end, but that's tennis. She got two free points in the TB so I'd say the luck evened out.

by ponchi101 You deserved it. By a little bit, but you deserved it ;)
It is one thing I like about tennis; the scoring system leaves very little to the imagination. It is not soccer, with somebody winning 1-0 over a flukey goal. It isn't some sports in which you can have ONE good inning/quarter, and lose the others by close margins, and still win. In tennis, the construction of the score lets you know.
You won. You deserved it. :clap: :clap: :clap:

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:58 pm You deserved it. By a little bit, but you deserved it ;)
It is one thing I like about tennis; the scoring system leaves very little to the imagination. It is not soccer, with somebody winning 1-0 over a flukey goal. It isn't some sports in which you can have ONE good inning/quarter, and lose the others by close margins, and still win. In tennis, the construction of the score lets you know.
You won. You deserved it. :clap: :clap: :clap:
I actually do feel like I earned it. :) Competed very well and played well when I had to and served very well. You're right about the scoring system. I mean, sometimes very little separates the winners and losers and sometimes the score doesn't tell you how close a match was (lots of deuces, for instance), so it's weird in that sense, but yeah, you have to do a lot of things right to win any match, even if that thing is to give the opponent lots of chances to miss.

by Deuce And sometimes in tennis, the winner is actually the loser, and vice-versa. The loser of the match can win more points than than the winner of the match.
In those matches, it comes down to who wins the most important points - which is a psychological battle.

The matches where you're not playing well at all, but come out with the win are often even more satisfying than the matches won when you're playing well - because, as you said, you 'gut it out' - you overcome the physical deficiencies and win almost solely on your psychological strength.
(It is best, though, to not think about what's for lunch until after the match is done :) )

by ponchi101 I don't care what other athletes say about THEIR sport. Tennis is the toughest sport in the world.
Very, very satisfying session today. The FH was under control, with good depth, power and spin. Whipped at least 4 past my trainer, which he could only watch.
The BH was not as sharp was still solid. The volleys were also firm, and we did the famous "3 volleys, then go for the winner" drill, and all my final volleys (5 good minutes) went for winners.
But the thing was the serve. One of the 1,000 differences between the pros and us (other than they are real players, we are just doing a pantomime) is that their service toss is consistent. They can place the ball, repeatedly, in a fixed spot over and over again. My toss was a ruin, so last time I switched my grip on the ball: I was palming it too much, so now I decided to hold it with the tip of my fingers. Gave me better control, and, together with locking my service wrist and keeping the racquet up from the beginning, I was able to regain consistency. A good 20-25 serves went it, and I was able to slice a few, and kick some others. I still don't want to stress the elbow too much as that was what out me out for 2 years, but it is getting there.
Good sign that I am getting a workout on court: got on the bus back home and started cramping. Yeah, good workout, but still in not good enough shape.
Looking forward to Friday.

by meganfernandez
Deuce wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:10 pm And sometimes in tennis, the winner is actually the loser, and vice-versa. The loser of the match can win more points than than the winner of the match.
In those matches, it comes down to who wins the most important points - which is a psychological battle.

The matches where you're not playing well at all, but come out with the win are often even more satisfying than the matches won when you're playing well - because, as you said, you 'gut it out' - you overcome the physical deficiencies and win almost solely on your psychological strength.
(It is best, though, to not think about what's for lunch until after the match is done :) )
Having to win the last point is an underrated difficulty in tennis. Mental victories are so satisfying... just as satisfying as smoking a ball down the line or flowing around the court while constructing a perfect point. If I compete well and fight, I'm usually happy with the outcome, win or lose.

Regarding lunch, I lose concentration a lot. It's one of my biggest weaknesses (along with over-hitting short balls... just can't get enough spin or control). I've improved a lot, though, and now in my mid-40s, I have learned to compete well. It's very satisfying. Now I appreciate a battle.

Ponchi, nice to see some progress! People take the serve toss for granted. I do... I've never had trouble with it and don't catch very many. But you're probably right. And it's something people can practice alone if they are dedicated enough.

by ponchi101 Problem for us the plebes: we have to keep track of the score, so we always have those numbers in mind.
My trick for concentration: only think about the structure of the next point. "Serve wide, if short return, go cross court, if deep, go down the line". Something like that. Just don't think of the score.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:00 pm Problem for us the plebes: we have to keep track of the score, so we always have those numbers in mind.
My trick for concentration: only think about the structure of the next point. "Serve wide, if short return, go cross court, if deep, go down the line". Something like that. Just don't think of the score.
I'm much better about not dwelling on the score or the outcome of the match than I used to be. I used to ALWAYS think about whether I could or would win or lose, starting in the warm-up. Now I think about what I need to do, although my mind still wanders a lot. Often I don't know what I need to do (or rather what I need to do that I CAN do/execute), and the lack of clarity drives me nuts. Mental stamina throughout a whole match is tough - although some are more natural competitors than others. I've had to learn it.

You'd go down the line off a deep return? :) I'd go cross court. Trying to be more disciplined about playing rally balls cross court or down the middle.

by ponchi101 Only because my FH down the line is better than my cross court. I was picturing serving into the deuce court.
If I serve into the ad court and I get a deep return TO MY BH, I will also go cross court. My BH is still my favorite shot and I can put somebody there and go BH2BH. If that happens and I eventually get a short ball, I can come in behind my slice.
But, you see? Thinking too much :D

by meganfernandez Had two incredible wins over the weekend! One in 8.5 combo doubles, playing the best doubles of my life (I play more singles). Won 12-10 in the match tiebreak. I hit the winning shot, a reflex lob volley from the service line, defending an aggressie volley from the opponents. Held my ground and popped it over their heads. A bit of a lucky shot, but I was in the right spot and had my racket ready. This came after I flubbed a high backhand volley on our previous match point, so I was glad to make up for it. And it was the winning court of a 3-court match, and an upset. This is a super tough league and we have struggled to get any wins at all in four seasons. I captain this team and had to make a tough call on the lineup, choosing to go with the lineup that had the best chance of winning versus making sure everyone had an equally good partner. (One of our courts lost 0 and 0, and I felt bad about feeding those players to the wolves, but we couldn't have won otherwise.)

The next day in singles, I won 7-5, 5-0 (timed match, so we had to call it). I was down 0-3 pretty fast, even though I was playing well, getting lots of chances, and dictating points, exactly what I want. It was all unforced errors. I didn't panic and simply focused on the biggest thing that was going wrong - forehand in the net. Made a small adjustment, bending my knees and dropping my racket head a little bit, made sure to concentrate more, and clawed my way back. Won 10 of the next 12 games. It's a match I would have lost a year ago or so, just mentally. I would have pouted about playing well and still not winning even a single game, proof that I am a cursed loser in tennis. :) I would have let the frustration get to me until I was down 5-0 and then had a lot of pressure in the second set. I played it perfectly mentally, stayed calm, and made the right adjustment. Team won 3-0.

I'm usually 40-60 or 50-50 in matches, so winning three tight ones in a row feels good. I had a heartbreaking 20-match losing streak last year while playing really well, so I'm a little skittish about going on another losing streak. With these wins, I can relax a bit for the season knowing I've already bagged a few good ones. And that will help me play freely.

by ponchi101 :clap: :clap: :clap:
About lucky shots. Sure, sometimes. But YOU hustled there, you stuck your arm out, you hit the shot. A lot of effort always goes into every shot, so, sure, a bit of luck.
But don't underestimate the effort. You made it.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 2:09 am :clap: :clap: :clap:
About lucky shots. Sure, sometimes. But YOU hustled there, you stuck your arm out, you hit the shot. A lot of effort always goes into every shot, so, sure, a bit of luck.
But don't underestimate the effort. You made it.
Yeah, for sure, and thanks! :) There are lucky net cord and shanks, but for this one, I was in the right spot, ready, and then a little lucky. Felt great.

I had a puzzling loss last year, up 6-0, 3-0, something like that. This opponent was at least a full level below me, but she had legs. I said later that she just kept running and thrusting her racket toward the ball, and got about 100 lucky shots. That's what it felt like. She couldn't hit a winner on her own (she passed me on match point, maybe her first offensive shot of the match) but she hustled and didn't give up. Sometimes that's all it takes.

by Deuce I played on the weekend for the first time in 3 weeks, as I've been sick (rapid test showed positive for COVID 12 days ago, temperature was up to 104 degrees one night). Played against a guy I'd only played once before - about a month and a half ago, and he beat me that first time.
This past weekend, I won the 2 sets we played, though - which pleasantly surprised me, as I was coughing throughout the match. And I didn't feel exhausted or anything close to that at any point during the 90 minutes, or afterward.
It was just an arranged match - no league or tournament or anything.

A few days before that, I played 3 hours of pickleball (doubles) with no issues except for the coughing.
Both of these were done after isolating for 10 days after the symptoms first appeared.

by meganfernandez
Deuce wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 2:38 am I played on the weekend for the first time in 3 weeks, as I've been sick (rapid test showed positive for COVID 12 days ago, temperature was up to 104 degrees one night). Played against a guy I'd only played once before - about a month and a half ago, and he beat me that first time.
This past weekend, I won the 2 sets we played, though - which pleasantly surprised me, as I was coughing throughout the match. And I didn't feel exhausted or anything close to that at any point during the 90 minutes, or afterward.
It was just an arranged match - no league or tournament or anything.

A few days before that, I played 3 hours of pickleball (doubles) with no issues except for the coughing.
Both of these were done after isolating for 10 days after the symptoms first appeared.
Nice rebound from illness. Maybe you were well-rested? :) Sorry you were so sick and hope you're feeling better.

by Deuce Thanks, Megan.
I feel about 85% now, and improving every day or two. The cough will probably remain for another week or two, because that's how it goes with me - the tickling/irritation in the throat always remains for a while after I feel ok otherwise.
I was never close to going to the hospital or anything. I even question whether it was really COVID, as those rapid tests are not 100% accurate/reliable (though a positive result is more often accurate than a negative one).

by ponchi101 Good training session today. At least two monster BH's that my trainer just saw fly by (he reciprocated later on) and good control and pace on the rallies. I would say I am hitting at 80% of my pace with consistency.

Serving. A total mess last Friday, so today I just relaxed a bit and focused on tossing the ball consistently. IF you put the ball in the same place all the time, you CAN hit better serves, dummy.
Time to buy new balls. My tretorns are shredded by now.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:56 pm Good training session today. At least two monster BH's that my trainer just saw fly by (he reciprocated later on) and good control and pace on the rallies. I would say I am hitting at 80% of my pace with consistency.

Serving. A total mess last Friday, so today I just relaxed a bit and focused on tossing the ball consistently. IF you put the ball in the same place all the time, you CAN hit better serves, dummy.
Time to buy new balls. My tretorns are shredded by now.
Are you playing on clay, or hard court indoors?

How long do you hit during a training session? I haven't played since Sunday. Playing for a few hours tomorrow - ball machine and then a clinic, and maybe another evening clinic. My favorite clinics just happen to be on the same day right now. Looking forward to it. Have a league doubles match Saturday and a singles match Sunday.

courts.JPG
-->
by ponchi101
meganfernandez wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 4:24 pm ...

How long do you hit during a training session? I haven't played since Sunday. Playing for a few hours tomorrow - ball machine and then a clinic, and maybe another evening clinic. My favorite clinics just happen to be on the same day right now. Looking forward to it. Have a league doubles match Saturday and a singles match Sunday.
Outdoor clay. The place I go to has reasonably good court, with infrequent bad bounces. The lines/strips are not too pronounced, so they only skid faster, they don't jump anywhere. Plus, it is on the north side of the city so we have a very nice view of some mountains. The shot below is a drone view of some the courts at that place. The very first court, the one you can barely see, is where I usually play because it is the closest to the main building, and it gets protected a bit from the wind.
I hit for one hour. Although I am getting back in shape, my legs are still not completely here (and at my age, they won't be). I am getting to the point in which I can slide forcefully, so 1 hour is enough. And I can't afford more at the moment.
You have your day set for tomorrow. :thumbsup:
courts.JPG

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:30 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 4:24 pm ...

Outdoor clay. The place I go to has reasonably good court, with infrequent bad bounces. The lines/strips are not too pronounced, so they only skid faster, they don't jump anywhere. Plus, it is on the north side of the city so we have a very nice view of some mountains. The shot below is a drone view of some the courts at that place. The very first court, the one you can barely see, is where I usually play because it is the closest to the main building, and it gets protected a bit from the wind.
I hit for one hour. Although I am getting back in shape, my legs are still not completely here (and at my age, they won't be). I am getting to the point in which I can slide forcefully, so 1 hour is enough. And I can't afford more at the moment.
You have your day set for tomorrow. :thumbsup:

courts.JPG
Love seeing the court where you play! I'd think sliding would be pretty intense physically. Nice facility. 4 hours between the ball machine and two clinics was pretty tough on my back. And did I stretch after either clinic? Not much. So stiff afterward, but slept like a rock!

by ponchi101 Today.
I think I blew up my elbow again. :cry:
Let me see how it feels tomorrow.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 2:12 am Today.
I think I blew up my elbow again. :cry:
Let me see how it feels tomorrow.
Noooo... how?

Won a singles match today, one of the hardest fights ever. Tooth and nail from the beginning. Won 6-4, 6-7, 10-6... deciding court... upsetting our rival ... breaking the tie for first place in our league, although it's early in the season. Now we are undefeated and they aren't. :)

We played our sister team, and I think they are the A team and we are the B team. My opponent was a doubles player who was thrown in to play singles when their usual singles player called off an hour before the match. I know and like the person I played, and it made it very difficult knowing that everyone expected me to win. It would have been embarrassing to lose to someone who doesn't play singles. But she SHOULD play singles. She's a terrific athlete, tall, great at the net, big forehand and serve. I had all the pressure and was down 1-4 fast, moping about three or four lucky shots she framed for winners. Then I realized no one wins a match with lucky shots - I was paying poorly, too. I turned it around and won the next five games. Second set was neck and neck as I was wearing out. She served for the set at 5-3, I served for it at 6-5, she ripped three winners, then she won the tiebreak. On to the match tiebreak, now knowing we're the deciding court in the team match. She pulled a calf muscle early and could barely move. I struggled to hit the open court with all that opportunity - dumped a few forehands into the bottom of the net. I kept it together and got to 9-6, and chipped a short ball to midcourt, knowing she couldn't run for it. GSM, two hours and 10 minutes. Never been so relieved.

She said she didn't retire so i could win outright, and she figured I would win. I wasn't sure at all - I would have been thrilled with a retirement. Would have considered it a win by attrition.

by ponchi101 :clap: :clap: :clap: :trophy:
Good for you!
You have posted by now a few matches that you have won in the match TB. So, it seems to me you are holding it together quite well.
Sometimes I think people misunderstand the concentration issue. It is not NOT to be nervous, or be totally relaxed on court. That is almost impossible; the thing is to know that you can be nervous, and still deliver. That is what it sounds like you are doing.
My elbow: it seems to me I can rally alright, but serving injures me. Which is kind of strange because I don't have bad mechanics. It sounds very arrogant but I think I was trying to get speed too fast. It backfired.
Anyway, I will have to be off at least two weeks, because tomorrow I will have a small procedure to take care of a hernia.
Will KYP :thumbsup:

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:15 am :clap: :clap: :clap: :trophy:
Good for you!
You have posted by now a few matches that you have won in the match TB. So, it seems to me you are holding it together quite well.
Sometimes I think people misunderstand the concentration issue. It is not NOT to be nervous, or be totally relaxed on court. That is almost impossible; the thing is to know that you can be nervous, and still deliver. That is what it sounds like you are doing.
My elbow: it seems to me I can rally alright, but serving injures me. Which is kind of strange because I don't have bad mechanics. It sounds very arrogant but I think I was trying to get speed too fast. It backfired.
Anyway, I will have to be off at least two weeks, because tomorrow I will have a small procedure to take care of a hernia.
Will KYP :thumbsup:
Sounds like the break is coming at the right time. I'm sorry you're hurt. Good luck with the surgery, too. Please do keep us posted!

Yes, I am learning to deal with nerves. I breathe, focus on what I need to do instead of the score or outcome, try to choose a good shot... the problem is staying loose. Keeping my racket head speed the same while playing with more control and calmness.

by ashkor87 came back to play after a break of two weeks - as usual, first day is always spectacularly good - the level will drop off now, I am sure.. the first day is always the best for me, all my bad habits are forgotten, and I can just play.... wont last though.!
i wonder if others have the same experience?

Missed quite a few days, vacation in Egypt and Jordan, now off to a yoga retreat, and anyway the festival of Diwali is on, so dawn concerts every day, no room for play .

by ponchi101 That's quite the schedule, Ashkor. Very Jet Set! :thumbsup:
Yes, first day of comeback is usually good. The 2nd sucks; all the out of shape things surface.
I am down at least a month. My procedure was easy and it went well, but recovery will be tough; two 2-inch cuts in the lower abdomen are no fun ;)

by ponchi101 Back on court, after my operation.
On the one hand, the discomfort when moving is gone. I only now need to recover my leg work and my movement. After a month of inactivity, and two full weeks of barely moving, I need to regain speed and explosiveness.
But... this growing old :poop: is not fun.
My elbow is still bothering so I changed balls and re-strung one racquet. Went all the way down from 56lbs to 48, with a more flexible string with a higher gauge. The first 1/2 hour was fine, but then, I just could not find the court. I don't know if I just got tired or if it was the infamous "2nd day jinx", but I had no control. However, the elbow was not hurting as much, so I guess I am stuck with the new tension.
Gotta wait until Tuesday.

by ashkor87 it has started raining so had to take it off for a couple weeks.. played yesterday for the first time again.. loved the way the balls get wet and heavy.. you can really whack them without any fear they will go out! Last time, I suffered an elbow injury because of it, so I had better watch out...!

by Irena2 motobass and I played tennis this evening with our 21 yo. Pickleballers were next to us, but they didn't stay long. Until this spring, I can't count how many years it's been since I hit a ball. I'm too afraid to run (arthritic knee, back, and hips, and way too heavy) but it turns out that I can still hit a decent volley now and then, and if the ball comes to me just so, I have enjoyed the old feeling of hitting a good shot intentionally. Weather was nice for playing here in Chicago as the sun set.

by ashkor87 It is fun to just hit the ball...

by meganfernandez
Irena2 wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 3:48 am motobass and I played tennis this evening with our 21 yo. Pickleballers were next to us, but they didn't stay long. Until this spring, I can't count how many years it's been since I hit a ball. I'm too afraid to run (arthritic knee, back, and hips, and way too heavy) but it turns out that I can still hit a decent volley now and then, and if the ball comes to me just so, I have enjoyed the old feeling of hitting a good shot intentionally. Weather was nice for playing here in Chicago as the sun set.
Nice! Nothing like hitting the sweet spot on a racket. Are you doing to keep playing?

by meganfernandez My USTA match was cancelled yesterday, and it was going to be on red clay - a rarity in Indiana. I love playing on clay and always do well there, and I was looking forward tot he exercise. But the other team didn't have enough players because of the holiday weekend and they defaulted my court.

by ponchi101
Irena2 wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 3:48 am motobass and I played tennis this evening with our 21 yo. Pickleballers were next to us, but they didn't stay long. Until this spring, I can't count how many years it's been since I hit a ball. I'm too afraid to run (arthritic knee, back, and hips, and way too heavy) but it turns out that I can still hit a decent volley now and then, and if the ball comes to me just so, I have enjoyed the old feeling of hitting a good shot intentionally. Weather was nice for playing here in Chicago as the sun set.
After you have been out for a while, just go back in there slowly. A couple of nice doubles, get those knees oiled up (internally), remember how to move around the court.
Glad to hear when some members are actually playing. Not only talking about tennis ;)

by Irena2
meganfernandez wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:21 pm
Nice! Nothing like hitting the sweet spot on a racket. Are you doing to keep playing?
I can't imagine playing competitively again, but we hope to keep up with going out to hit a few times a week, should air quality and patience (waiting for a public court with doubled-up pickle-balling) allow. I have enjoyed reading about your matches, Megan! Where can you play on red clay near you? That's a shame that you couldn't play your match.

by meganfernandez
Irena2 wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 10:04 pm
I can't imagine playing competitively again, but we hope to keep up with going out to hit a few times a week, should air quality and patience (waiting for a public court with doubled-up pickle-balling) allow. I have enjoyed reading about your matches, Megan! Where can you play on red clay near you? That's a shame that you couldn't play your match.
Can you reserve a public-park court? You can in Indy but hardly anyone knows, and it's like $7/hour. And are school courts accessible? It's not hard to find a court in Indianapolis, even with pickleballers taking up some. Clubs often have low summer rates because it's when people play outside. I hope you start playing again for fun!

Red clay - here, about an hour south of Indy: https://www.facebook.com/RussellRoadRacquetClub/

It's on private land but it is technically a club that people can join. One of my USTA teams uses it as a home court, but I still haven't been able to play on it this year.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:54 pm Glad to hear when some members are actually playing. Not only talking about tennis ;)
How are you doing these days? Injuries?

I'm not getting a lot of USTA matches this summer, but I'm in decent form. I lost one that was 100% on my racket - tons of soft, high, short balls to the middle of the court, waiting for me to pounce, and I missed a bunch of them. I won the first set easily then she figured out I had no range from midcourt and hit everything there with no pace. It was a dispiriting match, but it happens now and then. My next one, I was in the zone and couldn't miss.

by ponchi101
meganfernandez wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 3:20 am
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:54 pm Glad to hear when some members are actually playing. Not only talking about tennis ;)
How are you doing these days? Injuries?

I'm not getting a lot of USTA matches this summer, but I'm in decent form. I lost one that was 100% on my racket - tons of soft, high, short balls to the middle of the court, waiting for me to pounce, and I missed a bunch of them. I won the first set easily then she figured out I had no range from midcourt and hit everything there with no pace. It was a dispiriting match, but it happens now and then. My next one, I was in the zone and couldn't miss.
Finances. Can't afford to play at the moment, as cheap as it is to do so here :cry:
My elbow has healed completely, although I won't know until I go on a court and hit a ball. But I can't tell when that will be.

by Irena2
meganfernandez wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 3:09 am

Can you reserve a public-park court? You can in Indy but hardly anyone knows, and it's like $7/hour. And are school courts accessible? It's not hard to find a court in Indianapolis, even with pickleballers taking up some. Clubs often have low summer rates because it's when people play outside. I hope you start playing again for fun!

Red clay - here, about an hour south of Indy: https://www.facebook.com/RussellRoadRacquetClub/

It's on private land but it is technically a club that people can join. One of my USTA teams uses it as a home court, but I still haven't been able to play on it this year.
The club with the red clay looks idyllic. We are spoiled - we have free public courts across the street from us - just resurfaced this summer! They're often full at hours when we can all play, especially with pickleball courts added this year. But most of the time one of us will wait and text the others - we can pop over in a couple of minutes. We can reserve public green clay courts for $25 an hour - a short bus ride away. (They used to be less expensive when it was run by the Chicago Park District.)

by meganfernandez
Irena2 wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 12:54 am
meganfernandez wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 3:09 am

The club with the red clay looks idyllic. We are spoiled - we have free public courts across the street from us - just resurfaced this summer! They're often full at hours when we can all play, especially with pickleball courts added this year. But most of the time one of us will wait and text the others - we can pop over in a couple of minutes. We can reserve public green clay courts for $25 an hour - a short bus ride away. (They used to be less expensive when it was run by the Chicago Park District.)
Public clay courts, how nice! Not cheap but not awful. That's the going rate indoors here - probably more in Chicago.

by ashkor87 time to get my racket restrung since it is raining and I anyway cant play for a day or two..it is so absurdly cheap to get your racket strung here.. if you buyt the string (Technifibre 15 gauge for about $15) you get the stringing free.. wonder who pays the stringer..
all the fellow-players here wait for their string to break before they get it redone - I have never broken a string in my entire life (that is about 60 years if playing tennis) so I would be waiting a very long time if I did that! People just dont see that the strings are THE most vital part of your gear, after all, it is what actually hits the ball!

by meganfernandez
ashkor87 wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 1:14 pm time to get my racket restrung since it is raining and I anyway cant play for a day or two..it is so absurdly cheap to get your racket strung here.. if you buyt the string (Technifibre 15 gauge for about $15) you get the stringing free.. wonder who pays the stringer..
all the fellow-players here wait for their string to break before they get it redone - I have never broken a string in my entire life (that is about 60 years if playing tennis) so I would be waiting a very long time if I did that! People just dont see that the strings are THE most vital part of your gear, after all, it is what actually hits the ball!
You've never broken a string? Do you hit with any spin at all? Wow... I don't know anything about string and assume that translates to "the strings don't affect my play at all." I don't have it restrung until they are fraying. All I know is that both of my elbows hurt a lot. :) My frame is heavy and I wonder if I need a softer string.

$15 is so cheap! I pay $30 or so and have no idea what kind of string I'm getting.

by ashkor87 3 reasons, I think
I hit flat,no spin at all
I change the strings every 3 months
And
(Coughing modestly) I always middle the ball!
Also, I string them fairly low, 55 lbs..
I think you should follow the old rule of 'restring as many times a year' as you play a week. Regardless of their condition...

by ponchi101 I switch my racquets when I play. So I re-string when I break one, and I string both.
Breaking strings. Funniest moment ever for me: My partner serves and breaks his strings, and I slapped the return, actually for a winner, and broke mine.
We both switched our racquets, of course.

by meganfernandez I lost a tough USTA match last night, but I competed well and gave it my all, so I'm happy. It was so windy that you couldn't keep the ball in from one side and couldn't hit it out from the other. It didn't feel like real tennis - every shot was desperation and improvisation. I was down 7-5, 2-0 and moping about the wind (and vision ... it's still hazy here from wildfires... the air looked greasy, actually). I realized I had to play the conditions more than the opponent. I won the set 6-3 - I actually thought I was down 3-4 in the second and I held for 4-4, but I was UP 4-3 and it was then 5-3! But my opponent seized the TB and thoroughly outplayed me. I thought she was tired, and I always bring intensity to a match tiebreak, but she played it aggressively and I was sloppy.

She's on a team without singles players, so everyone on the team takes a turn playing singles once during the season. I hate it when a player walks on court saying, "I'm not a singles player!" and then competes just fine. This woman is a veteran league player and has played plenty of singles in the past. But I think I would have won in regular conditions or inside.

I'm just glad I changed my attitude in the second set and kept fighting and gave myself a good chance to win. I've learned to appreciate the competition aspect of tennis matches and judge myself on how well I competed more than the score.

Team lost all four courts.

by ponchi101 For us, the end point is not winning or losing. It's how well you played.
So good for you.
And that was one of the reasons why I stopped playing matches. The players that come to the court and immediately start with the excuses. I just wanted to play with grownups, not mental little kids that think they are about to play the Semis at Centre Court.

by ashkor87 watching Wimbledon is seriously hampering my own play the next day - I end up staying up till 1 am then I have to be up at 530 to go play.. today, I was so tired, I could barely move my feet. Trouble is, after watching some good tennis, I am more motivated than ever to play, but the body doesnt want to! I am actually hoping for rain so I can sleep in.. never did that before,
the time zone I live in, Australian Open is the best USO is the worst - I have not been able to watch the finals live for the past 33 years (ever since we returned home..)

by meganfernandez
ashkor87 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 6:59 am watching Wimbledon is seriously hampering my own play the next day - I end up staying up till 1 am then I have to be up at 530 to go play.. today, I was so tired, I could barely move my feet. Trouble is, after watching some good tennis, I am more motivated than ever to play, but the body doesnt want to! I am actually hoping for rain so I can sleep in.. never did that before,
the time zone I live in, Australian Open is the best USO is the worst - I have not been able to watch the finals live for the past 33 years (ever since we returned home..)
It is brutal to be a tennis fan! The hours can be crazy. I can't wake up at 5:30 to play tennis. Impossible!

by ashkor87 It is a beautiful court...sometimes when I get to the court, I am greeted by this ...I try to avoid sweeping them away..of course but...

by ashkor87 Jacaranda..

by meganfernandez
ashkor87 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:46 am It is a beautiful court...sometimes when I get to the court, I am greeted by this ...I try to avoid sweeping them away..of course but...
Flower petals?

by ashkor87 Yes..Jacaranda from the tree behind the court

by ponchi101 It's a dirt court so you are going to slide on it anyway.
5:30. The only way for me to get out of bed at that time (other than work) is arson. I applaud you.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:36 pm It's a dirt court so you are going to slide on it anyway.
5:30. The only way for me to get out of bed at that time (other than work) is arson. I applaud you.
A flight is the only thing that gets me out of bed that early.

by dave g
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:36 pm It's a dirt court so you are going to slide on it anyway.
My cats do that (wake me up at 5:30) to me on a regular basis.

I managed to play some doubles last night. It wasn't very pretty. I am still adapting to the change in glasses prescirptions. I played most of my tennis 25 years ago with a different glasses prescription. For the last couple of years, when I restarted playing tennis with a newer prescrition, the ball is about 2-3 inches closer to me than it would have been using my old prescription. So the new prescription is great for pickleball, but not so good for tennis. But this time, I framed relatively few of my volley, which is a sign of improvement.

by ponchi101 Silly question, but have you tried contacts? I was never able to play with glasses; they bounced too much of my nose.

by dave g
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:56 pm Silly question, but have you tried contacts? I was never able to play with glasses; they bounced too much of my nose.
I used contacts for a while, but I ran into problem putting my left contact in. My right contact went in easily, but I would have to work for about a minute to get me left contact to go in. So I changed to glasses. I had worn glasses most of my life, so going back to them was easy. My glasses stay on unless I have done something unusual like slip and fall.

by meganfernandez
dave g wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 5:03 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:56 pm Silly question, but have you tried contacts? I was never able to play with glasses; they bounced too much of my nose.
I used contacts for a while, but I ran into problem putting my left contact in. My right contact went in easily, but I would have to work for about a minute to get me left contact to go in. So I changed to glasses. I had worn glasses most of my life, so going back to them was easy. My glasses stay on unless I have done something unusual like slip and fall.
I don't know how you play with glasses. Don't they fog up, and doesn't sweat drip on the lenses? I changed my contact prescription recently and have the same vision issues. I lose the ball all the time.

by ashkor87
Our court is booked for us all year round from 6 am to 8 am.. and it is much more fun to play in the morning than the evening, at least for me, I am usually too tired by the time evening comes..
most working people cannot control their evening hours, work has a habit of dragging on, mornings are controllable - so many reasons to play in the morning..
we water the court every day before playing so it isnt slippy-slidy..

by ashkor87 today, a coconut fell from the tree .. if it had fallen on someone's head..! we are now looking into how to get them plucked regularly..

by meganfernandez
ashkor87 wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 6:39 am today, a coconut fell from the tree .. if it had fallen on someone's head..! we are now looking into how to get them plucked regularly..
Did it land in or out?

by ponchi101
meganfernandez wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 1:48 pm
ashkor87 wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 6:39 am today, a coconut fell from the tree .. if it had fallen on someone's head..! we are now looking into how to get them plucked regularly..
Did it land in or out?
Ashkor thought it was in, but the challenge showed it was out ;)

by ashkor87 If I had been scrambling to reach the ball...

by dave g
meganfernandez wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:11 pm
dave g wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 5:03 pm
I don't know how you play with glasses. Don't they fog up, and doesn't sweat drip on the lenses? I changed my contact prescription recently and have the same vision issues. I lose the ball all the time.
One of the results of living in northeastern Minnesota is that it very seldom gets hot enough to generate enough sweat to obscure glasses, or fog them up. That may have happened occassionally while I was still living in Charleston, SC. I did use a towel much more often when living in Charleston.

by ashkor87 I normally wear glasses but play tennis without them.. trauma from getting hit in the face by a stray ball, the glasses can make the injury worse..so now I do without ..can see perfectly well ..and of course easier in the mild drizzle we get here..with glasses you cannot play st all..
The weather here is like that..never rains hard, just drizzle ..continuously.

by ponchi101 Only to say that I was able to play today.
Despite the months of gym, there is no way you can train for tennis other than on court. My hand was fine for about 20 minutes but, after that, I simply lost strength on my grip. Which, of course, cascades into all the shots.
Good news: my elbow was fine. I gather that 8 months of rest will cure everything.
I nearly cried of happiness.

by ashkor87 had a couple of new players join us today.. one test I apply to tell how much court sense someone has, is to lob over their head if they are at the net, to see if they realize their partner is now out of position and they need to adjust.. it never fails.. the novices stay put, the seasoned ones quickly adjust their own position without having to turn and look. ..

by ponchi101 As a singles player, it was always a problem for me because regardless of if they were lobbing over me or over my partner, I would start tracking the lob. Ended out of position 1/2 of the times ;)

by meganfernandez
ashkor87 wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:48 pm had a couple of new players join us today.. one test I apply to tell how much court sense someone has, is to lob over their head if they are at the net, to see if they realize their partner is now out of position and they need to adjust.. it never fails.. the novices stay put, the seasoned ones quickly adjust their own position without having to turn and look. ..
What exactly do you mean by "adjusting their position"? How exactly? There are only two ways to adjust your position - you backpedal and take it as a lob, or you call "you" to your partner and switch sides (without looking back, ideally) while your partner retrieves the lob behind you. Right?

My test is similar, or maybe the same thing. If both partners are at the net, does the one cross-court from the ball (on the opponent's side) realize they are defending the lob over their partner and adjust their position back a bit to the service line? You can't close the net if the ball is cross-court from you, depending on the opponent's court position.

by ashkor87 Right, that is what I mean...

by ashkor87 The US OPen is interfering seriously with my tennis! Because of the 10 hour time difference, I can only watch the 7 pm matches, which are right about the time I go off to play myself.. decisions decisions...

by ponchi101 Never for me.
You can go play OR watch some tennis?
I am off to the court ;)

by meganfernandez
ashkor87 wrote:The US OPen is interfering seriously with my tennis! Because of the 10 hour time difference, I can only watch the 7 pm matches, which are right about the time I go off to play myself.. decisions decisions...
That is tough. I’d play except for the best matches, but maybe not play as long. Split the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by ponchi101 I played last Friday and was trying to do this.
As I have a 1 handed BH, hitting high balls is always tough. But I recently noticed Stan doing this: he DOES NOT try to bring his racquet to the level of the ball in the regular fashion, but instead he keeps the wrist locked and hits the ball with the racquet vertically. Sort of like he slaps it.
It works, but you can only doing for a little while. His strength is too much, so I gather I need to hit the gym a bit more.

by ashkor87 Wawrinka is so strong...best not to emulate him...

by ponchi101 I also think you need to hit it even farther ahead than a regular BH. And, of course, because the racquet is not extended so much, you need to adjust a bit more with your feet.

by ashkor87
meganfernandez wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 1:21 pm
ashkor87 wrote:The US OPen is interfering seriously with my tennis! Because of the 10 hour time difference, I can only watch the 7 pm matches, which are right about the time I go off to play myself.. decisions decisions...
That is tough. I’d play except for the best matches, but maybe not play as long. Split the difference.

Yup, that is my plan.... :P

by ashkor87
meganfernandez wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 1:21 pm

Yup, that is my plan.... :P

by ponchi101 I went to play on Tuesday, and my regular sparring partner could not show up. So, they arranged for me to play with a younger kid. About 17, and, of course, with all the legs in the world.
He was just a bit too much. FH to FH I was able to stay in the rallies, but the moment he started making me visit some parts of the court I had not been to in a few years, my legs were simply not enough. I was able to rope a few winners towards his FH, but not too many.
The problem was my beloved BH. When he went inside out, his pace was too much and I was unable to release my stroke in time; I was routinely late, meaning my racquet face was aiming down and I was not able to clear the net. Showed me that my preparation was a bit late, and I needed to start my swing earlier.
So, today I told my partner about it. We started hitting a bit harder than usual (we usually start rallying with a 50% ball; today we started at 75%). And, I asked him to move me a bit more to my BH, so I had to work a bit harder with my legs but also had to turn faster and release my BH faster.
I was able to hit two clean winners, one down the line, another crosscourt. I have also started serving a bit lately, trying to control my toss better, and I was able to do a small slam-dunk (can't jump like before). And I closed the hour with a huge FH down the line. I decided it was good enough to stop there and leave the court satisfied.
At least one of the FH's was good enough to make Roger raise an eyebrow.
Best session I have had since I came back on court. But, man, do I need my Friday Cuba Libre!!!!

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 11:08 pm I went to play on Tuesday, and my regular sparring partner could not show up. So, they arranged for me to play with a younger kid. About 17, and, of course, with all the legs in the world.
He was just a bit too much. FH to FH I was able to stay in the rallies, but the moment he started making me visit some parts of the court I had not been to in a few years, my legs were simply not enough. I was able to rope a few winners towards his FH, but not too many.
The problem was my beloved BH. When he went inside out, his pace was too much and I was unable to release my stroke in time; I was routinely late, meaning my racquet face was aiming down and I was not able to clear the net. Showed me that my preparation was a bit late, and I needed to start my swing earlier.
So, today I told my partner about it. We started hitting a bit harder than usual (we usually start rallying with a 50% ball; today we started at 75%). And, I asked him to move me a bit more to my BH, so I had to work a bit harder with my legs but also had to turn faster and release my BH faster.
I was able to hit two clean winners, one down the line, another crosscourt. I have also started serving a bit lately, trying to control my toss better, and I was able to do a small slam-dunk (can't jump like before). And I closed the hour with a huge FH down the line. I decided it was good enough to stop there and leave the court satisfied.
At least one of the FH's was good enough to make Roger raise an eyebrow.
Best session I have had since I came back on court. But, man, do I need my Friday Cuba Libre!!!!
So happy for you, to get a good and satisfying workout on court. That FH should keep you smiling all weekend. I love how you an diagnose the issues with your strokes. I'm not so good at that. Recently figured out that my prep is lazy on both sizes, and an earlier backswing made some instant improvement.

by ponchi101 It felt like a good session, and that is what matters. My grips by now need replacement, as they have lost all adherence, and my calluses are not enough to give me a proper control. I need a little tackiness in there.
About preparation: to me, one of the big differences between us weekend hacks and the pros. They rotate and start their swing the moment they reach the hitting spot. Many of us get to the spot, and don't turn immediately. If you turn immediately, you are ready to uncoil when needed, even if the ball is slow and you have a little extra time. But if you have not turned, then you will always be late. Worth practicing.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote:It felt like a good session, and that is what matters. My grips by now need replacement, as they have lost all adherence, and my calluses are not enough to give me a proper control. I need a little tackiness in there.
About preparation: to me, one of the big differences between us weekend hacks and the pros. They rotate and start their swing the moment they reach the hitting spot. Many of us get to the spot, and don't turn immediately. If you turn immediately, you are ready to uncoil when needed, even if the ball is slow and you have a little extra time. But if you have not turned, then you will always be late. Worth practicing.
Totally why I am late on my backhand. I try to rotate on the FH side before I move and run with my racket back.

by ashkor87 Had to play with a racket I bought here in India..didn't realize how hard it is to play with a different size grip..we get only 4 3/8 and smaller here! The economics of tennis here is such..only kids play tennis in large numbers, not adults, so nobody sells rackets with adult grips! Sad...

by meganfernandez
ashkor87 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:45 pm Had to play with a racket I bought here in India..didn't realize how hard it is to play with a different size grip..we get only 4 3/8 and smaller here! The economics of tennis here is such..only kids play tennis in large numbers, not adults, so nobody sells rackets with adult grips! Sad...
That's weird. I thought tennis was popular in India. Can you get a racket online very easily? i never really consider grip size. I don't know what mine is.

I hit this morning for an hour. Just grooving the strokes, moving the feet, working on early preparation, trying to force myself to come in and take a step closer to the net. It's a lot easier when you know th eother person is going to hit the ball to you!

by ponchi101 You don't know what grip size you use? I am frigging maniacal about grips and sizes. 4 3/8 for me, and I will replace my overgrips every two sessions. if the grip is not tacky, my level drops a lot.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote:You don't know what grip size you use? I am frigging maniacal about grips and sizes. 4 3/8 for me, and I will replace my overgrips every two sessions. if the grip is not tacky, my level drops a lot.
I have no idea. I regrip about once a year. :)

by ashkor87 Oh it is popular in India but only with parents who push their kids to play.. then when they get to the last year of high school, parents want them to stop, so they can focus on board exams and entrance exams to the big engineering and medical colleges..so when they are out of college they don't play any more...stupid, destructive system..

by ashkor87 We do get rackets online..but all kid's grip

by ponchi101
ashkor87 wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 1:06 am Oh it is popular in India but only with parents who push their kids to play.. then when they get to the last year of high school, parents want them to stop, so they can focus on board exams and entrance exams to the big engineering and medical colleges..so when they are out of college they don't play any more...stupid, destructive system..
Indeed. How about quality and balance of life? This year has been bad for me, and one of the reasons was precisely that I had to stop playing for so long. The mental aspects were not menial; I had no activity that allowed me to release some stress.
It is a sport for life, and it really is. It is just not a slogan.

by ashkor87 Agree..but parents are so greedy and short -sighted..we encouraged our son to play all the way through, and I myself went off to play the day of my board exams.. My parents were fine with it . But l guess people are more tense about these things nowadays..

by ashkor87 It is indeed a game for life...my son, who is a full-time professional musician, is also now a certified tennis coach...he anyway plays tennis or cricket every weekend if he can...good balance.

by ponchi101 Will be going back to work tomorrow, so today was my last session until December.
The FH was a bit all over the place; I was not able to get a consistent point of contact one foot in front of me. But I was able to hit one glorious slam dunk (good serve to the BH on the ad side, the ball popped up and I dunked it into the opposite corner; Pete maybe would have raised an eyebrow).
Then played a couple of TB's and won the first on a gorgeous ace that found a very shallow angle on the ad court. Plus another a bit later on, on a good slice wide open to the FH (deuce side).
Overall, I can go into the break happy that I recovered some of my strokes after such a long hiatus.
I'm going to miss my court.

by Fastbackss I enjoy my leagues but frankly I enjoy tournaments more. There are probably 15 per year but they aren't sanctioned. They are fun but to me doesn't have the same cache. There is a serious dearth of USTA tournaments in the area. When they exist they aren't popular.

Well there is an organizer who has partnered with a club to run them essentially once a month. Interestingly they are being run as WTN (as any USTA member now has both a NTRP ranking and a more granular WTN number). WTN lower the number the better.

It is advertised that the entries will be split into any WTN 29 and under and anyone 30 and up. Generally it has held pretty close to this. But the size of each flight has varied.

This week's looked like was going to have 14 entries. I mapped out everyone and tried to "estimate" where the split would be because I am a massive nerd. At the last second it became 15.

There are entries from 23-36* WTN.

The top 5 are significantly "ahead" of the rest of the group - with rankings from 23-27.

*The bottom 5 are new - just joined - and don't even have a ranking yet. This automatically places them in the bottom flight.

Surprisingly (to me anyway) the organizer decided to essentially split down the middle. 8 in top flight and 7 in bottom.

So, based on the earlier bottom 5 comment - there are two spots "left" in the bottom flight.

Based on WTN I would be the 2nd - and thus the top seed in the lower flight.
The gentleman just above me is 1.5 points better ranking (and a 4.0 vs my 3.5). In the last tournament I beat him though.

So...imagine my surprise when I see I'm in the top flight and he is the #1 seed in the bottom flight.

Here is the question - would I be an arsehole in questioning the organizer as to how this was derived? It seems pretty clear to me that something is up - and I am sensing a choice was made based on past results. But that is speculation. Curiosity is killing me.

Further confounding me is that there is Nobody within 1.5 points by him. So if organizer had simply made flight 7 and 8 instead - both flights would have been way tighter.

Further this annoyance is
A) thought was going to be a one-day tournament and now I have to go two days as my first match is tomorrow night and it's over an hour away
B) I drew the #1 overall seed - a 4.5 who has won the last three tournaments

by skatingfan
Fastbackss wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:29 am I enjoy my leagues but frankly I enjoy tournaments more. There are probably 15 per year but they aren't sanctioned. They are fun but to me doesn't have the same cache. There is a serious dearth of USTA tournaments in the area. When they exist they aren't popular.

Well there is an organizer who has partnered with a club to run them essentially once a month. Interestingly they are being run as WTN (as any USTA member now has both a NTRP ranking and a more granular WTN number). WTN lower the number the better.

It is advertised that the entries will be split into any WTN 29 and under and anyone 30 and up. Generally it has held pretty close to this. But the size of each flight has varied.

This week's looked like was going to have 14 entries. I mapped out everyone and tried to "estimate" where the split would be because I am a massive nerd. At the last second it became 15.

There are entries from 23-36* WTN.

The top 5 are significantly "ahead" of the rest of the group - with rankings from 23-27.

*The bottom 5 are new - just joined - and don't even have a ranking yet. This automatically places them in the bottom flight.

Surprisingly (to me anyway) the organizer decided to essentially split down the middle. 8 in top flight and 7 in bottom.

So, based on the earlier bottom 5 comment - there are two spots "left" in the bottom flight.

Based on WTN I would be the 2nd - and thus the top seed in the lower flight.
The gentleman just above me is 1.5 points better ranking (and a 4.0 vs my 3.5). In the last tournament I beat him though.

So...imagine my surprise when I see I'm in the top flight and he is the #1 seed in the bottom flight.

Here is the question - would I be an arsehole in questioning the organizer as to how this was derived? It seems pretty clear to me that something is up - and I am sensing a choice was made based on past results. But that is speculation. Curiosity is killing me.

Further confounding me is that there is Nobody within 1.5 points by him. So if organizer had simply made flight 7 and 8 instead - both flights would have been way tighter.

Further this annoyance is
A) thought was going to be a one-day tournament and now I have to go two days as my first match is tomorrow night and it's over an hour away
B) I drew the #1 overall seed - a 4.5 who has won the last three tournaments
No, I don't think it's out of line to ask how the split was made.

by ponchi101 Agree. Go and ask. It is not as if seedings in sports are meaningless and, in your case, you do have a point. And a case.

by Fastbackss Thanks folks. Shall report out after.

by Fastbackss Well this is a bit of a letdown.

I asked, politely even, and the organizer spent way more time than I deserved answering my inquiries.

Turns out it's all automated software.
The organizer puts in the entries, and whether or not there is a split (yes in this case).
The software calculates how many in each flight, who goes there, and who is seeded.
Organizer has a chance to overrule (for example if a known good player has no ranking and would be in the lower flight).
Noted the oddity in "my placement" but didn't know why and didn't feel was enough to justify some sort of change.

Guess I can't argue given it's ostensibly automated.

(And yes I got obliterated - but will say it is not often I am happy in how I played when the bread factory is open and humming. Here's to hoping my game is like that tomorrow in the consolation bracket )

by meganfernandez
Fastbackss wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:46 am
(And yes I got obliterated - but will say it is not often I am happy in how I played when the bread factory is open and humming. Here's to hoping my game is like that tomorrow in the consolation bracket )
I lost 1 and 1 today in doubles, to an evenly matched team, but i felt pretty good. Lots of close games, my partner was rusty, and my contacts were so off it was like I was wearing someone else's. I took them out and cleaned them and switched eyes twice. It was like playing in a smoke-filled room. So odd. I couldn't see the ball in the air on overheads, and I shanked a few. But it made me concentrate more and I played pretty well. I also lost in singles 2 and 2 recently, or even 2 and 0, against a former state high school champion, but I played well and fought my heart out. It's nice to be happy with how you played and competed despite the score.

I'm in a tournament Sunday. We never have tournaments in Indianapolis. I don't think this is a USTA tournament. Just a one-day club event with 8-game pro sets. I hope I can see. Different venue.

by ponchi101 At our level, it is not if you won or lost. It is: how well did you hit the ball?
It is not the finish line, it is the trip.
Glad you are feeling good about your game :thumbsup:

by Fastbackss
ponchi101 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:28 am At our level, it is not if you won or lost. It is: how well did you hit the ball?
It is not the finish line, it is the trip.
Glad you are feeling good about your game :thumbsup:
Was listening to a tennis podcast recently (want to say it was doubles only but could have been Baseline Intelligence) and the pro being interviewed was asked about club players and said some form of this - that on our level it is more about working on specific goals and seeing if they come true (with what we are controlling)

Megan - good summary of your play. Certainly hope tomorrow goes better. It isn't the same as a contacts issue but one of the nearby clubs has terrible lights - while another has different than standard and an odd-coloured roof. In both I lose overheads consistently.

Speaking of tournaments - I spoke to the Organizer about the dearth of tournaments. It is part of why she tries to run so many.
She said this one is monthly and this weekend's is the most "logistically diverse." Of the 15 adults playing 6 of them are driving three hours or more to play - including a player from Canada, one from Indiana, and one from Illinois. So yeah I would say people are desperate for tourney play.

PS - I will expect and look for your update to be posted here. And not on Twitter ;)

by ponchi101 My definition of a good training session: I will hit TWO of each of these:
A good forehand. It will have pace, it will have the spin I want, I will hit it in front of my body, I will feel I have control of the shot.
A good BH, of each kind: one slice, one topspin. The same as above.
A good volley, from each side: I will punch it solidly, it will have pace and control.
A good serve: it will go where I want it to go, meaning I will think about a spot in the service box, and it will have the effect I want: flat, slice, kick.
With my age, one good smash. Anywhere it lands.

If I can hit those during my session, it will be a good one. It matters little if I "won or lost".

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote:My definition of a good training session: I will hit TWO of each of these:
A good forehand. It will have pace, it will have the spin I want, I will hit it in front of my body, I will feel I have control of the shot.
A good BH, of each kind: one slice, one topspin. The same as above.
A good volley, from each side: I will punch it solidly, it will have pace and control.
A good serve: it will go where I want it to go, meaning I will think about a spot in the service box, and it will have the effect I want: flat, slice, kick.
With my age, one good smash. Anywhere it lands.

If I can hit those during my session, it will be a good one. It matters little if I "won or lost".
That’s a good way to think about it. I want to be consistent and concentrated and hit the ball in front of me and watch it hit the strings.

A lot of things used to bug me about tennis. Now the thing that bugs me is that I don’t really know what to do in a match as much as i should. I know I’m not deploying the right strategy. I know there is a winning form of my game that I don’t understand. Other people seem to win easily and know what to do and CAN do it consistently. I haven’t found that version of my game in 35 years. And I have the pieces. I know I do. Just can’t out them together well.

Usually it doesn’t bother me but if I think about it, it does.

by Owendonovan I currently have tennis elbow in my non-dominant left elbow completely unrelated to tennis. (opportunity to develop one handed backhand maybe?)

by meganfernandez
Owendonovan wrote:I currently have tennis elbow in my non-dominant left elbow completely unrelated to tennis. (opportunity to develop one handed backhand maybe?)
Oh no! Are you sidelined?

by ponchi101
Owendonovan wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:01 pm I currently have tennis elbow in my non-dominant left elbow completely unrelated to tennis. (opportunity to develop one handed backhand maybe?)
Completely.
Go for a full western grip, ala Stan. His is the best grip to use for a power shot.
Under no circumstance try to use Stefanos as an example. Too much strain on the wrist.
But start with a nice slice and a solid eastern BH grip. It will give you the right cadence.

by Owendonovan
meganfernandez wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:27 pm
Owendonovan wrote:I currently have tennis elbow in my non-dominant left elbow completely unrelated to tennis. (opportunity to develop one handed backhand maybe?)
Oh no! Are you sidelined?

Yes, for a few weeks at least. Tendonitis was already starting and a bit of a muscle tear spotting a kid at work. Doing everything, (lasers, sonography, massage, brace, sling) to not have surgery or a shot

by ashkor87 I love to just hit the ball, rally for 10-20 shots, not play points.. the only rhythm we get in tennis is when we are warming up! trouble is, the fellows at the club are so competive, they want to play games, sets even, rather than just hit.
I first learned the joys of just rallying when I began to rally with my girlfriend at UCLA... we coultn play points becuse I was always too strong and quick for it to be competitive, but she had a smooth style and could always return my serve.. (it certainly turned out well.. we are now married, 40 years now)
BTW, I read somewhere that Seles did just that for practice - no points, just hitting..

by ponchi101 Doesn't everybody? I have seen Rafa and Carlitos rally, just for the rhythm, as you say. Down the middle, 3/4 pace (for them, it would be 150% for us), just make sure that you are constantly moving your feet, and that your form is proper.
I will play a TB at the end of my session, just because the rhythm is different. You have to serve and then return to the position from where you rally (for me, about 1.5 - 2 mts behind the baseline). And I will still try to S&V a couple of shots, just to remember how is it to hit the serve and spring forward.
I gave up competing a long time ago. People get to be too intense.
Story.
I was playing a tournament, and quickly fell 0-4 in the first set. I said to myself "just rally, keep the ball in, get some rhythm". I dropped the first set 6-4. I kept playing at a slow pace, working out the slow clay, reaching everything and going for a 3/4 ball down the middle or crosscourt. I took the second 6-1.
While we are changing sides, the guy (whom I did not know) looks at me and says: "the only thing you do is get to everything", sort of trying to put me down. I said; "no, it is just that you don't hit hard enough".
6-0 third set for me, as he decided to hit harder and the errors piled up. We finished the set and I am walking to the net, to shake hands and he grabs his bags and leaves the court, all huffing. That was the day I decided "I don't need this (expletive). It is no fun".
I stopped playing tourneys then or short after. Don't miss it one bit.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:34 pm Doesn't everybody? I have seen Rafa and Carlitos rally, just for the rhythm, as you say. Down the middle, 3/4 pace (for them, it would be 150% for us), just make sure that you are constantly moving your feet, and that your form is proper.
I will play a TB at the end of my session, just because the rhythm is different. You have to serve and then return to the position from where you rally (for me, about 1.5 - 2 mts behind the baseline). And I will still try to S&V a couple of shots, just to remember how is it to hit the serve and spring forward.
I gave up competing a long time ago. People get to be too intense.
Story.
I was playing a tournament, and quickly fell 0-4 in the first set. I said to myself "just rally, keep the ball in, get some rhythm". I dropped the first set 6-4. I kept playing at a slow pace, working out the slow clay, reaching everything and going for a 3/4 ball down the middle or crosscourt. I took the second 6-1.
While we are changing sides, the guy (whom I did not know) looks at me and says: "the only thing you do is get to everything", sort of trying to put me down. I said; "no, it is just that you don't hit hard enough".
6-0 third set for me, as he decided to hit harder and the errors piled up. We finished the set and I am walking to the net, to shake hands and he grabs his bags and leaves the court, all huffing. That was the day I decided "I don't need this (expletive). It is no fun".
I stopped playing tourneys then or short after. Don't miss it one bit.
It took me a while to appreciate good defense and ball control on defense. I was just on the losing side of one of the matches you described above (but I didn't have a bad attitude about it). I couldn't punch through without making mistakes, and I can't put away a short ball or volley very well, so I don't have many good ways to end points against a human backboard. It can be very frustrating. But she won the whole tournament and beat other solid, offensive-minded 4.0s like me with an ugly game. I have no one to be upset with except myself - but it took me a while to get there.

I play matches for the exercise and mental/emotional growth. Learning to compete has helped me off the court, even at this late stage in life. That's one of the reasons I like tennis - I have been able to experience the benefits of competition in middle age. (And sometimes the match is really fun, but it's hit and miss.) I've also met a lot of friends through tennis. But i do enjoy just rallying. I certainly hit the ball better, and it's a pleasure to hit clean groundies and glide around the court..

by meganfernandez
ashkor87 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:47 pm I love to just hit the ball, rally for 10-20 shots, not play points.. the only rhythm we get in tennis is when we are warming up! trouble is, the fellows at the club are so competive, they want to play games, sets even, rather than just hit.
I first learned the joys of just rallying when I began to rally with my girlfriend at UCLA... we coultn play points becuse I was always too strong and quick for it to be competitive, but she had a smooth style and could always return my serve.. (it certainly turned out well.. we are now married, 40 years now)
BTW, I read somewhere that Seles did just that for practice - no points, just hitting..
Didn't know you have lived in the US!

by ponchi101
meganfernandez wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:27 pm ...

It took me a while to appreciate good defense and ball control on defense. I was just on the losing side of one of the matches you described above (but I didn't have a bad attitude about it). I couldn't punch through without making mistakes, and I can't put away a short ball or volley very well, so I don't have many good ways to end points against a human backboard. It can be very frustrating. But she won the whole tournament and beat other solid, offensive-minded 4.0s like me with an ugly game. I have no one to be upset with except myself - but it took me a while to get there.

I play matches for the exercise and mental/emotional growth. Learning to compete has helped me off the court, even at this late stage in life. That's one of the reasons I like tennis - I have been able to experience the benefits of competition in middle age. (And sometimes the match is really fun, but it's hit and miss.) I've also met a lot of friends through tennis. But i do enjoy just rallying. I certainly hit the ball better, and it's a pleasure to his clean groundies and glide around the court..
A defensive 4.0 will beat an offensive 4.0 most of the times. We are not at the level in which we can punch through the other.
A couple of years ago, I was playing a giggle mix with my sister-in-law and one of her friends. I was paired with another friend. My sis' partner would not stop talking about the metal game. I told my partner: "everything you hit, go cross court. Everything. FH's, BH's, everything. I will finish the other points".
We won easily. But the point was: my sole role was to make it simple for my partner. Once I took out the thinking from her game, she was able to hit a lot of good cross court shots.
Until you reach 5.0, defense beats offense in tennis. Until then: go cross court 90% of the times. Let the other player be the one missing the down the line.

by ashkor87
meganfernandez wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:30 pm
ashkor87 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:47 pm I love to just hit the ball, rally for 10-20 shots, not play points.. the only rhythm we get in tennis is when we are warming up! trouble is, the fellows at the club are so competive, they want to play games, sets even, rather than just hit.
Didn't know you have lived in the US!
15 years

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:04 am
meganfernandez wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:27 pm ...

I play matches for the exercise and mental/emotional growth. Learning to compete has helped me off the court, even at this late stage in life. That's one of the reasons I like tennis - I have been able to experience the benefits of competition in middle age. (And sometimes the match is really fun, but it's hit and miss.) I've also met a lot of friends through tennis. But i do enjoy just rallying. I certainly hit the ball better, and it's a pleasure to his clean groundies and glide around the court..
A defensive 4.0 will beat an offensive 4.0 most of the times. We are not at the level in which we can punch through the other.
A couple of years ago, I was playing a giggle mix with my sister-in-law and one of her friends. I was paired with another friend. My sis' partner would not stop talking about the metal game. I told my partner: "everything you hit, go cross court. Everything. FH's, BH's, everything. I will finish the other points".
We won easily. But the point was: my sole role was to make it simple for my partner. Once I took out the thinking from her game, she was able to hit a lot of good cross court shots.
Until you reach 5.0, defense beats offense in tennis. Until then: go cross court 90% of the times. Let the other player be the one missing the down the line.
She was a defensive 3.5 at best... at least to the eye. I should have won. I had every chance in the world. If I had any volley or overhead to speak of, I would have won.

In my experience, offense has the upper hand at 4.5. They can put the ball away and force a lot of errors with power and placement.

I was rallying with this woman well, keeping it cross court, sometimes, 20 balls, picking good times to change direction. But she just outlasted me. I couldn't take advantage of shorter falls, and that's my big problem, because I earn them all the time. That's what you want. But they put me at a disadvantage. I always say my strength leads me into my weakness.

by ashkor87 Very true, even at pro level, that if you arent a good volleyer, a steady human backboard will always be hard to beat. My suggestion would be..go to the net anyway, the odds are on your side..faced with an oncoming volleyer, 40% of the time, your opponent will do something stupid...like trying to pass you clean (ego, basically ), the rest, you will hit a winning volley at least a quarter of the time..so that is 55 %!
Most people don't realise they don't have to pass you, making you volley is good enough, but their ego wants a clean pass.

by meganfernandez
ashkor87 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:04 am Very true, even at pro level, that if you arent a good volleyer, a steady human backboard will always be hard to beat. My suggestion would be..go to the net anyway, the odds are on your side..faced with an oncoming volleyer, 40% of the time, your opponent will do something stupid...like trying to pass you clean (ego, basically ), the rest, you will hit a winning volley at least a quarter of the time..so that is 55 %!
Most people don't realise they don't have to pass you, making you volley is good enough, but their ego wants a clean pass.
I agree with you on the pressure aspect. You'd think that I'll still get some easy volleys, or some overheads, or they'll miss. Most people can't just put the ball at my feet, which is what you're talking about by not needing to hit a winner. At my level, though, a lot of women want to lob. I can tell the ones who want to drill it by me - ego, as you say - and the ones content to lob or who can ONLY lob. So you'd think I could read their shot better.

I came in a few times in this match and maaaybe won a single point? I'm just terrible up there. I'm too afraid to close because I have PTSD from getting lobbed so many times, and when the ball if REALLY short, I'm not fit enough to stop quickly and backpedal to cover the lob. i get lobbed a lot. And both my overhead and high forehand volley are my worst shots. I miss 90% of them!

This opponent passed me low several times. I gave her a lot of court to work with in front of me, and I'm also was probably not split-steppling or keeping my racket in front of me. I guarantee I was flat-footed and my racket was hanging low. :)

I try to force myself to come in to work on this, but it's so demoralizing. My approach shots aren't that bad. They are pretty good. That' just how bad I am at net!

Thanks for the advice.

by meganfernandez
meganfernandez wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:30 pm Didn't know you have lived in the US!
ashkor87 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:25 am 15 years
Where, besides LA?

by ponchi101
meganfernandez wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:02 pm ...

I agree with you on the pressure aspect. You'd think that I'll still get some easy volleys, or some overheads, or they'll miss. Most people can't just put the ball at my feet, which is what you're talking about by not needing to hit a winner. At my level, though, a lot of women want to lob. I can tell the ones who want to drill it by me - ego, as you say - and the ones content to lob or who can ONLY lob. So you'd think I could read their shot better.

I came in a few times in this match and maaaybe won a single point? I'm just terrible up there. I'm too afraid to close because I have PTSD from getting lobbed so many times, and when the ball if REALLY short, I'm not fit enough to stop quickly and backpedal to cover the lob. i get lobbed a lot. And both my overhead and high forehand volley are my worst shots. I miss 90% of them!

This opponent passed me low several times. I gave her a lot of court to work with in front of me, and I'm also was probably not split-steppling or keeping my racket in front of me. I guarantee I was flat-footed and my racket was hanging low. :)

I try to force myself to come in to work on this, but it's so demoralizing. My approach shots aren't that bad. They are pretty good. That' just how bad I am at net!

Thanks for the advice.
If you are terrible at the net, the, how about developing a drop shot? Be the one that brings the other person in. Hit the approach, don't step in, then drop shot them.
Because I have yet to see a 3.5 with good volleys.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:44 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:02 pm ...

Thanks for the advice.
If you are terrible at the net, the, how about developing a drop shot? Be the one that brings the other person in. Hit the approach, don't step in, then drop shot them.
Because I have yet to see a 3.5 with good volleys.
I usually play 4.0 players and up, occascionally 3.5. They all just need a "good-enough" volley against me, sadly. I wish I had a drop shot. I just don't have time to drill a new shot. Maybe in the summer. I agree a drop shot - or even a short ball, with some depth control - would be a huge asset for me. I want to win matches one of two ways, depending on the opponent - either moving her around and tiring her out and forcing mistakes and forcing her into uncomfortable shots, or using power and depth side to side to open the court and hit a mid-court or volley into the open court. But I am missing pieces of both of those styles.

What's frustrating is that other players are missing pieces, too, and don't have my weapons or experience, yet they seem to win easily. The easy answers are consistency and fitness.

by ashkor87
meganfernandez wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:09 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:30 pm Didn't know you have lived in the US!
Where, besides LA?
Started in LA and moved steadily east ! Iowa City, then Dallas, then Detroit for a bit, then camp hill, Pa. and finally the Capital area...our son was born when we lived in Maryland...

by Fastbackss Detroit! Representing SE Michigan...

Anywho back to Megan. The coach who runs our weekly drill session says that in lieu of the drop shot is just to mix up with an occasional slice (or some form of spin). She says that it's a way to break up the monotony of a backboard player returning and getting accustomed to your pace. Forces them to move/react slightly differently which has two benefits. One - more likely for them to (expletive), even slightly. Two - keeps them from being able to zero in on the same ball / strike zone over and over.

by meganfernandez
Fastbackss wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:13 pm Detroit! Representing SE Michigan...

Anywho back to Megan. The coach who runs our weekly drill session says that in lieu of the drop shot is just to mix up with an occasional slice (or some form of spin). She says that it's a way to break up the monotony of a backboard player returning and getting accustomed to your pace. Forces them to move/react slightly differently which has two benefits. One - more likely for them to (expletive), even slightly. Two - keeps them from being able to zero in on the same ball / strike zone over and over.
I like this... the question is always when do you disrupt your own rhythm to disrupt theirs. I agree, though, make them DO something, not just retrieve. Or retrieve some junk.

by meganfernandez
ashkor87 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:42 pm
Where, besides LA?
Started in LA and moved steadily east ! Iowa City, then Dallas, then Detroit for a bit, then camp hill, Pa. and finally the Capital area...our son was born when we lived in Maryland...
You skipped over Indiana!

by ashkor87
meganfernandez wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:02 pm

Where, besides LA?
He he true..did visit IU a couple times..

by ponchi101
meganfernandez wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:01 pm ...

I like this... the question is always when do you disrupt your own rhythm to disrupt theirs. I agree, though, make them DO something, not just retrieve. Or retrieve some junk.
Ah! But now you are starting to nitpick. Sure, you may try to disrupt their game. But you don't want to disrupt yours. Something has got to give.
Eventually, every strategy comes with and up and a down. For example, if you try to disrupt MY game with slice BH's to my BH, good luck. I have a lot of confidence in my slice, so I would welcome that. If you try to disrupt my rhythm by hitting slices to my FH, that is not bad, because I don't have the same confidence on that side.
If you try to play a power game, you have to accept the errors. If you want to play a retriever game, you have to accept the long rallies. Everything comes with a trade. It is the beauty of our game.
(I used to play S&V tennis; I had to accept the fact that I would be passed and I would miss some volleys).

by ashkor87
ashkor87 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:10 pm

My wife spent summer interning with an architect in Elkhart, Indiana ..I visited the place just for that reason..all there was then is one street with a Pizza Hut ..

by Fastbackss
meganfernandez wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:01 pm
Fastbackss wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:13 pm Detroit! Representing SE Michigan...

It isn't helpful, but her response to that was to make it so that you are "comfortable" enough to hit a slice from essentially the same position.

Ps - I said mis - hit , which clearly was scrubbed by the expletive detector when it was one word

by ponchi101 I gather I have to fine tune the detector. Sorry, my bad.
But a bit funny (if I may say... ;) )

by ashkor87 I first learned to volley quite late in my life, at the age of 28 or so.. had been playing for 15 years already.. so it is never too late. Since I have never been coached, I just kept coming forward and 'learning on the job'.. took almoat a year, during which i got passed by everybody. but eventually I did learn - today, I am feared and respected as a volleyer..

by ponchi101 The sole stroke for which you can't escape the grip. It has to be a continental or it will not work.

by ashkor87
ponchi101 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:31 pm The sole stroke for which you can't escape the grip. It has to be a continental or it will not work.
Generally true but how does Nadal manage? He is the best volleyer among the great players,though he doesn't need to volley, usually..

by meganfernandez
ashkor87 wrote:
ashkor87 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:42 pm Started in LA and moved steadily east ! Iowa City, then Dallas, then Detroit for a bit, then camp hill, Pa. and finally the Capital area...our son was born when we lived in Maryland...
My alma mater! Beautiful campus.

by meganfernandez Hey, I won a singles match yesterday! USTA league. Avenged a loss from last week's tournament. I knew from that match that she would give me tons of errors, so I focused on consistency, picking on her backhand, and not panicking when she went through short patches of landing her big topspin FHs and serves. It got a little tight in the second set, and I have lost so many tight sets in my life - I'd say 80% or more - that I expect to choke and blow it. So I kept reminding myself to stay positive, give a good effort on every ball, stick to the game plan that was definitely working, and believe in myself. Closed it out 6-2, 6-4. I think I was up 40-love in the last game and lost two points, and that's when I can get tight - am I going to blow it? But I figured she was feeling tight herself and all I could do was make her hit balls. She shanked a backhand.

She has a legit one-handed backhand - drives it and chips it. Misses it a lot, but it's fun to watch, and unusual. I'd love to develop a chip return to drop it short. A lot of women I play don't want to move up and would struggle with that low ball.

by ponchi101 Congrats, Megan. But remember: it is not about winning. How did you FEEL while on court? And, how did your strokes feel?

by ponchi101
ashkor87 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:33 am
ponchi101 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:31 pm The sole stroke for which you can't escape the grip. It has to be a continental or it will not work.
Generally true but how does Nadal manage? He is the best volleyer among the great players,though he doesn't need to volley, usually..
Nadal hits his volleys with a continental.
When you say the great players, do you mean the recent Big 3? Because I agree, Nadal is damn good, but Roger was better there.
And if you are including greats from the past, Nadal is not the best.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:01 pm Congrats, Megan. But remember: it is not about winning. How did you FEEL while on court? And, how did your strokes feel?
Thanks. Strokes felt okay to good, occasionally very good. Didn't swing as freely as I can - I'd say B+ on strokes and movement. I didn't come in confidently. I botched the one easy volley I had. Mentally and emotionally, it was tense.

I go back and forth on the importance of winning. It's not the most important thing - fairness is, then fun, then exercise, teamwork, etc. But we're keeping score and it's a competitive format. I think it is about winning to some extent. I'm trying to win the match. And that continues to be a tough, tense endeavor.

Sometimes matches are a lot of fun, no matter the outcome. I've gotten a lot of pleasure from competing hard and playing great points and having some camaraderie. Sometimes challenging myself mentally (concentrating, strategizing, working harder) and emotionally (staying positive, trying to have fun). But there's always a lot of stress and confusion and discomfort, and sometimes it's hard to feel good about it.

by ashkor87
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:04 pm
ashkor87 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:33 am
Nadal hits his volleys with a continental.
When you say the great players, do you mean the recent Big 3? Because I agree, Nadal is damn good, but Roger was better there.
And if you are including greats from the past, Nadal is not the best.
Nadal is a better volleyer than Federer and much better than Djokovic

by ponchi101 Agree on Djokovic. That is his "weak" part.
Rafa over Roger at the net? Now, we have a proper discussion there ;)

by Tybal Taking it slow and enjoying the process is key. And hey, those two good backhands down the line must've felt like a win.

by meganfernandez
ashkor87 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:26 am

My wife spent summer interning with an architect in Elkhart, Indiana ..I visited the place just for that reason..all there was then is one street with a Pizza Hut ..
I just saw this, ashkor. Elkhart is a lot more than a stoplight and a Pizza Hut these days. It has grown a lot. A mysterious benefactor left the town several million dollars for creative improvements, so that has helped. did you see an Amish? There are big Amish communities nearby.

by ashkor87
meganfernandez wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:26 pm
ashkor87 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:26 am
I just saw this, ashkor. Elkhart is a lot more than a stoplight and a Pizza Hut these days. It has grown a lot. A mysterious benefactor left the town several million dollars for creative improvements, so that has helped. did you see an Amish? There are big Amish communities nearby.
Lovely! Will tell her...

by ashkor87 Am having trouble with my first serve these days..my wife, who is also a tennis player, came to watch and told me my toss is too low. I may be hurrying through the service motion because I am too desperate to get to the net..hence the low toss? Don't know, going to play tomorrow after a few days break, will see what I can do.

by ponchi101 My usual problem. I start tossing it low, and then also bring my head down too quickly, pretending I am going to accelerate more if I do that.
Gotta keep that arm and those eyes up ;)

by ashkor87 watched this video of Federer serving, a few times..

though I do think his toss is a bit too high for me...

by ponchi101 Not too high, if you are a jumper. I never had the coordination to toss and jump. I have to be on the ground so my extension is not that high.