Roger's retirement and related

Our main board to talk about our sport
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Roger's retirement and related

Post by ponchi101 »

Roger has announced that his last matches will be played next week at the Laver Cup.
It was on twitter (or some other SM platform) but you know I don't have accounts on any of those. The video is easily found, if somebody can and then can post a link (Help me, Ti!!!! :cry: )
An era comes to an end. This topic, of course, is for all the memories and stories, and well wishes for him. Also, for those that were not his fans, your opinions are still welcomed.

I will miss him, a lot.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
meganfernandez United States of America

Re: Roger's retirement and related

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:01 pm Roger has announced that his last matches will be played next week at the Laver Cup.
It was on twitter (or some other SM platform) but you know I don't have accounts on any of those. The video is easily found, if somebody can and then can post a link (Help me, Ti!!!! :cry: )
An era comes to an end. This topic, of course, is for all the memories and stories, and well wishes for him. Also, for those that were not his fans, your opinions are still welcomed.

I will miss him, a lot.
He took one look at Alcaraz and was like, Nope.

Really surprised he isn't hanging it up in Basel. Are we even recovered enough from Serena to do this all over again? Couldn't they have coordinated a little better.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I don't know about the Alcaraz thing ;)
I agree that Basel would have had a bit more sentimental value. But he was not going to win Basel, not with the likes of Ruud or Alcaraz playing there. At the Laver Cup, he is almost guaranteed to go out with a win, and he has to cement the event a little bit more. This ensures that this year it will be a sold out. Who knows what happens next year, after he is no longer there.
texasniteowl

Post by texasniteowl »

End of an era.

Sad.

But not a surprise. How many knee surgeries?
New England Nitemare United States of America

Post by New England Nitemare »

Yes, very sad. I was hoping that he could play the 2023 season and retire at the US Open, but it was not meant to be. Roger has had a very tough time coming back from knee surgery. He will be missed.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Click in the photo to better see the announcement.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I remember the one point that told me: "This guy is something else".
He was playing Agassi at one of those WTF in Houston. They engaged in a rally and soon enough, Agassi fired a vicious cross court FH, from his FH corner. Roger got to it and went down the line, but missed the shot because it landed too much inside. Agassi was going to get to it with ease, so Roger started to recover.
Agassi did, and fired a second crosscourt shot, with his BH. Roger was going full speed, but this time, Agassi missed the shot; it was not angled enough. So, Roger, who was ready for a BH, was going to overrun the shot. Anybody else would have stopped on his tracks and would have been jammed, but Roger simply made an insane pirouette, flipped and ran backwards, and hit an inside-in FH into Agassi's FH, which Agassi could only watch. The gracefulness and speed of the footwork was beyond description. I really thought: "This guy is special".
I went training today, My trainer said it best; we don't know if he is the best, if he is the greatest. But he is certainly the most complete player. I would put him in a category of two: him and Martina. The two players that could beat you from the back, at the net, from anywhere.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

agree Federer may not be the best but he is the BEST!
his head to head against Nadal and Djokovic is a losing one but he plays tennis the way we love to see it played, so...
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:36 pm I remember the one point that told me: "This guy is something else".
He was playing Agassi at one of those WTF in Houston. They engaged in a rally and soon enough, Agassi fired a vicious cross court FH, from his FH corner. Roger got to it and went down the line, but missed the shot because it landed too much inside. Agassi was going to get to it with ease, so Roger started to recover.
Agassi did, and fired a second crosscourt shot, with his BH. Roger was going full speed, but this time, Agassi missed the shot; it was not angled enough. So, Roger, who was ready for a BH, was going to overrun the shot. Anybody else would have stopped on his tracks and would have been jammed, but Roger simply made an insane pirouette, flipped and ran backwards, and hit an inside-in FH into Agassi's FH, which Agassi could only watch. The gracefulness and speed of the footwork was beyond description. I really thought: "This guy is special".
I went training today, My trainer said it best; we don't know if he is the best, if he is the greatest. But he is certainly the most complete player. I would put him in a category of two: him and Martina. The two players that could beat you from the back, at the net, from anywhere.
I remember a similar point at the USO, also against Agassi...
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

ashkor87 wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:39 am agree Federer may not be the best but he is the BEST!
his head to head against Nadal and Djokovic is a losing one but he plays tennis the way we love to see it played, so...
Sure. There is a subjectivity there, and that I understand. For example, given a time machine and a match between Roger and Pete, I am rooting for Pete.
But Roger's game was something to behold. The FH was a one in a lifetime stroke. The footwork was surreal.
Or rather, still are. It is obviously age that is making him retire; I don't think it is the strokes.
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

Never has a player so consistently beaten my favorites which tried to make me hate him... but couldn't ever truly do it :)
:steven:

Post by meganfernandez »

ti-amie wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:31 pm

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:37 pm I don't know about the Alcaraz thing ;)
I agree that Basel would have had a bit more sentimental value. But he was not going to win Basel, not with the likes of Ruud or Alcaraz playing there. At the Laver Cup, he is almost guaranteed to go out with a win, and he has to cement the event a little bit more. This ensures that this year it will be a sold out. Who knows what happens next year, after he is no longer there.
He'll be able to swat a few balls in Laver Cup, and someone might let him win. You're right about that. In Basel, they can just do a ceremony. Maybe he'll present the trophy. Think the tournament director is worried about his job? :)