NBA Random

And other things related to basketball
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: NBA Random

Post by ponchi101 »

Siakam at center does the trick. He was very good with the Raptors during their championship run.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

I might be able to be talked into it, but no, I don't like this move.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

JazzNU wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:01 pm I might be able to be talked into it, but no, I don't like this move.
Is it Siakam or the deal in general? Some think they should try and keep Wiggins.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
patrick United States of America

Post by patrick »

To me, Siakam is overrated. Guess having Leonard and winning a title in 2019 will do the trick.

Post by JazzNU »

patrick wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:56 pm To me, Siakam is overrated. Guess having Leonard and winning a title in 2019 will do the trick.

Post by JazzNU »

ti-amie wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:05 pm Is it Siakam or the deal in general? Some think they should try and keep Wiggins.
I don't dislike Siakam, but I'm not high on him either. And I'm not into this deal at all. I don't think we should bail on Wiseman right now. And Wiggins has shown that this role might suit him, so I don't want to get rid of him either, but I'm much more open to moving Wiggins. But even then, this supposed asking price for Siakam seems very, very high to me. Great deal for Toronto, but not so for Golden State.

In general, I want very few serious roster changes until Klay is back in the lineup. Some things that don't seem to be working, may look a whole lot different when he's back in there.

Also, any team that trades Wiggins to Toronto and doesn't milk that for more than his actual value is getting finessed. Seriously, don't fall for that Warriors.

Post by JazzNU »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

NBA Twitter has be going HAM on Ms Nichols, daughter of Diane Sawyer and playwright Mike Nichols for her comments. She is, for ABC, what could be called a "legacy" hire since her mother worked for ABC for years. ABC is the parent company of ESPN. No mention of the Sawyer connection is made in this article. NBA Twitter, however, mentions it. A lot.

Rachel Nichols Out for N.B.A. Finals Coverage on ABC
Comments made by Nichols that were caught on tape caused tremendous upheaval within ESPN over the past year. Nichols, who is white, suggested that a Black colleague, Maria Taylor, had been selected for a marquee job because of her race.

By Kevin Draper
July 6, 2021, 12:47 p.m. ET

Rachel Nichols, who was expected to be ABC’s sideline reporter for the N.B.A. finals, will not work that role when the first game of the series tips off Tuesday night, ESPN announced. She will be replaced by Malika Andrews.

Nichols was the sideline reporter for the finals last year and during ESPN’s most important N.B.A. games this season. Both ABC and ESPN are owned by Disney.

The decision to have Andrews be the sideline reporter instead was made after The New York Times reported that Nichols, who is white, made disparaging comments about a Black colleague, Maria Taylor, last year. Among other things, Nichols said that Taylor was picked to host N.B.A. finals coverage last season because ESPN was “feeling pressure” about diversity.

The comments were accidentally captured on camera and uploaded to a server at the company’s headquarters in Bristol, Conn., then spread widely among ESPN employees.

“I wish Maria Taylor all the success in the world — she covers football, she covers basketball,” Nichols said in July 2020. “If you need to give her more things to do because you are feeling pressure about your crappy longtime record on diversity — which, by the way, I know personally from the female side of it — like, go for it. Just find it somewhere else. You are not going to find it from me or taking my thing away.”

Nichols will host episodes of “The Jump” on-site throughout the finals. Nichols has hosted that show, ESPN’s daily N.B.A. show, since 2016.

Nichols commented publicly on the recording and what she said about Taylor for the first time on Monday’s episode of “The Jump.”

She kept her comments brief, saying she did not want to distract from the crescendo to the N.B.A. season. But Nichols added that she did not “want to let this moment pass without saying how much I respect, how much I value our colleagues here at ESPN, how deeply, deeply sorry I am for disappointing those I hurt, particularly Maria Taylor, and how grateful I am to be part of this outstanding team.”

She was joined on the show by Kendrick Perkins and Richard Jefferson, two Black former N.B.A. players who are regulars on “The Jump.” Perkins thanked Nichols for “accepting responsibility” and added that he knows her heart and that she is a “great person, great individual.” He said Taylor was a great person as well.

Taylor will host episodes of “NBA Countdown,” ESPN’s pregame and halftime show, during the finals. But if the finals, between the Phoenix Suns and the Milwaukee Bucks, go to a seventh game, ESPN could have a dilemma to solve. Taylor’s contract with ESPN expires near the end of the finals, and to date the two sides are not close on a renewal.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/06/spor ... &smtyp=cur
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein

Post by JazzNU »

ti-amie wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:48 pm NBA Twitter has be going HAM on Ms Nichols, daughter of Diane Sawyer and playwright Mike Nichols for her comments. She is, for ABC, what could be called a "legacy" hire since her mother worked for ABC for years. ABC is the parent company of ESPN. No mention of the Sawyer connection is made in this article. NBA Twitter, however, mentions it. A lot.
This is incorrect. Diane Sawyer has no children. Diane Sawyer was married to the exceptional film and theater director Mike Nichols. One of his children, his son, is married to Rachel, hence the last name. Rachel is Diane's step-daughter-in-law. No one has any direct knowledge of how she got her job, but she was married by the time she joined ESPN and Diane was the grand dame there at the time so cause for speculation.

Malika is an upgrade to Rachel, all day everyday.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

patrick United States of America

Post by patrick »

Guess those teams are willing to continue paying that max contract.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Serious, ignorant question. Why would the Warriors pick Damian? They already have the best guard in the league, why go for the second, when they really don't need him?
On the other hand: Steph and Dame in the same team. How long before the 3 point record is shattered? AND Klay. 35 3-pointers in one game would not be out of the question. Or would it?
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Post by JazzNU »

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:25 pm Serious, ignorant question. Why would the Warriors pick Damian? They already have the best guard in the league, why go for the second, when they really don't need him?
On the other hand: Steph and Dame in the same team. How long before the 3 point record is shattered? AND Klay. 35 3-pointers in one game would not be out of the question. Or would it?

I'm not sure people are thinking that far ahead, just trying to configure a superteam and figure they'll work it out if they can land him. Also, think it's really easy to forget about Klay often in these things for many. Such a lengthy period he has missed.

I'm not expecting to land him. And I think it's a mistake to assume people are open to returning home unless they say that specifically.