by ti-amie I didn't see a thread on this so...

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ponchi101 USA Vs Czech Rep.
And no, team Poland is NOT ready. They are missing a certain person, who is in San Diego.

by Deuce It's still a month away...

Sylvain Bruneau returns as Fed Cup captain for Canada - a position he held for many years, ending 4 years ago. Regular captain Heidi El-Tabakh has, curiously, chosen to get married in a Fed Cup week.
Bruneau, is also, of course, former coach of Bianca Andreescu, who is scheduled to play in this Fed Cup week (but, again - it's a month away, so anything can happen between now and then).

Judging by the horrible way that Leylah played today, Andreescu may be the de facto leader of the Canadian squad. Hopefully playing 'for her country' will motivate Leylah to play well, as it has in the past.

by ti-amie DAILY BULLETIN
7 November 2022

DAY ONE SCHEDULE

Centre Court

10:00 GMT – Group B – Australia v Slovakia

Not before 16:00 GMT – Group C – Kazakhstan v Great Britain

The players representing each team will be announced one hour prior to the scheduled start of each tie.

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ponchi101 Really like the USA's jacket. Would buy it in a hurry.

by ashkor87 Canada should be fresh and strong...Czechs too

by ashkor87 Usually the team that cares the most, wins..who is that? Aussies and czechs. ?

by ponchi101 I say the USA. It is a strong team, they do have at least two players that truly do not like to lose (Coco and Collins) and if Mc-Coco reunite for the doubles, they are a top notch team.

by ti-amie

by ashkor87
ponchi101 wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:04 pm I say the USA. It is a strong team, they do have at least two players that truly do not like to lose (Coco and Collins) and if Mc-Coco reunite for the doubles, they are a top notch team.
I find US teams don't care much about team events where they are representing their country, so you get some strange performances, like Madison's today...

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ponchi101
ashkor87 wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 3:09 am
ponchi101 wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:04 pm I say the USA. It is a strong team, they do have at least two players that truly do not like to lose (Coco and Collins) and if Mc-Coco reunite for the doubles, they are a top notch team.
I find US teams don't care much about team events where they are representing their country, so you get some strange performances, like Madison's today...
Well, there was precisely a reason why I did not say THREE players; I really don't think Madison has ever been affected by losing a match.
But Collins is always super hyped, and Coco does not like losing.
And I just saw that indeed, McCoco won the doubles. They like playing with each other.

by ashkor87 Leylah!! Awesome! Iga-like win...Canada is a very strong team..either Canada or Czechs should win the cup..Czechs have always cherished this trophy, won it a disproportionate number of times, behind heroics by Safarova..probably the best FedCup player ever!

by ponchi101 Best Fed Cup player ever?
Martina. Bar none.

by ashkor87
ponchi101 wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:29 am Best Fed Cup player ever?
Martina. Bar none.
Ok..best in recent memory..and

Relative to her wta ranking and performance .

by ti-amie

by Deuce
ti-amie wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 2:39 am
And they did it without what's her name.
Ouch.

by ti-amie DAY THREE RESULTS

Group A – Canada defeated Italy 3-0

Bianca Andreescu (CAN) d. Elisabetta Cocciaretto (ITA) 7-6(3) 6-3

Leylah Fernandez (CAN) d. Martina Trevisan (ITA) 6-0 6-0

Gabriela Dabrowski/Leylah Fernandez (CAN) d. Lucia Bronzetti/Jasmine Paolini (ITA) 6-1 6-1

Group B – Australia defeated Belgium 3-0

Storm Sanders (AUS) d. Alison van Uytvanck (BEL) 6-2 6-2

Ajla Tomljanovic (AUS) d. Elise Mertens (BEL) 4-6 6-4 3-0 ret.

Storm Sanders/Samantha Stosur (AUS) d. Kirsten Flipkens/Elise Mertens (BEL) 6-4 6-3

Group C – Great Britain defeated Spain 3-0

Heather Watson (GBR) d. Nuria Parrizas-Diaz (ESP) 6-0 6-2

Harriet Dart (GBR) d. Paula Badosa (ESP) 6-3 6-4

Alicia Barnett/Olivia Nicholls (GBR) d. Aliona Bolsova/Rebeka Masarova (ESP) 7-6(5) 6-2

Group D – Czech Republic defeated Poland 2-1

Karolina Muchova (CZE) d. Magdalena Frech (POL) 6-2 6-2

Magda Linette (POL) d. Karolina Pliskova (CZE) 6-4 6-1

Katerina Siniakova/Marketa Vondrousova (CZE) d. Katarzyna Kawa/Magda Linette (POL) 6-2 6-3

Australia and Great Britain advance to the semi-finals as winners of Groups B and C, respectively.

DAY FOUR SCHEDULE

Centre Court

11:02 GMT – Group A – Switzerland v Canada

Not before 16:30 GMT – Group D – Czech Republic v USA

The players representing each team will be announced one hour prior to the scheduled start of each tie. Please note that start times are amended on Friday 11 November to accommodate the two-minute silence for Armistice Day.

by Deuce Leylah has not looked good in the matches she's played since returning from her foot injury. She has even looked quite bad in a couple of those matches.
But she played very well today. She played like the 'old Leylah' - steely-eyed, completely focused, totally determined, never smiling - not like the 'celebrity Leylah' that plays to the crowd, smiles, etc.
She was all business today - and you could see that even when the teams were introduced on the court and the national anthems were played - she was totally focused and in deadly serious mode even then. This is the attitude she needs to have to play her best.

It must be said that Trevisan played pretty badly. Italy were pretty much out of it by then - I don't think they had won a match to that point (and still haven't). Trevisan could stay in the rallies for a few shots, but then you could pretty much count on an unforced error out of nowhere from her. Part of the reason she missed so much was because Leylah wasn't missing, and because she had that focus and determination and 'I'm NOT going to lose this match' written all over her face and in her walk, which is intimidating.

Of course the whole environment of Fed Cup, which is completely and totally different than matches at regular WTA tournaments, played a role in Leylah's 'resurgence'. The team aspect - being one cog in the machine... the support from everyone wearing red + white... the playing for your country - all of that makes for a very, very different environment from a regular tournament.
She was even wearing an unbranded top with 'Canada' written on the back - no sponsors on it - unlike the last Fed Cup play, where the sponsors were all over her top. Wearing the 'team uniform' instead of your own 'kit' helps to make you feel part of the team.
I can't say that I'm surprised that Leylah came out so determined and focused today - I figured that this team/country environment might bring the old (and real) Leylah back out of her.

There was also the fact that this was a rematch with Trevisan - she was on the other side of the net at Roland Garros when Leylah suffered the stress fracture in her foot. So I think Leylah was determined to prove that she can beat her when the playing field is level.

Also worthy of mention is Andreescu kind of pulling one out of the fire vs. Cocciaretto. The Italian was ahead in the 1st set, and was controlling the play - and looked to be headed for a rather routine win of the set at 5-2. But she faltered a bit, and Andreescu pounced, getting it to a tiebreak, which she won.
The 2nd set was even about halfway through before Andresscu grabbed the reins.

by Deuce Andreescu won the 1st set easily over Golubic, who was a late substitution for the announced Teichmann... and then Andreescu unravelled. She unravelled slowly at first, losing the 2nd set 3-6. Golubic began playing noticeably better, as well...

Then Andreescu came completely undone in the 3rd set - and Golubic was hitting everything. Andreescu was dejected as Golubic got out to a very easy 4-0 lead, and led 5-1. Then Golubic got nervous and began making errors (because this sport is 95% psychological :) ), and Andreescu fed off of that and began playing better...All of a sudden, it was 5-4 Golubic.
But Golubic pulled it together, and Andreescu made 2 or 3 unforced errors in the 10th game, and that was it - 6-4 Switzerland.

Leylah vs. Bencic up next...

by Deuce Those who are able to should watch Leylah vs. Bencic right now...
Bencic won the 1st set easily, 6-0. She just didn't miss. And maybe Leylah was nervous, knowing that, after Andreescu's loss, it all rests on her - if she loses, Canada is eliminated.

But Leylah has come back strong in the 2nd set - and Bencic's level dropped (it had to - her level in the 1st set was virtually impossible to maintain.
They're locked in a fierce battle now - 5-5 in the 2nd set...

EDIT - it ended rather abruptly, with Bencic breaking Leylah, and then serving it out - 7-5.
Bencic had an earlier break - but Leylah fought hard and broke her back.

I think this would have been a different match if Andreescu would have won the first match of the day. Perhaps Bencic would still have won - but I think Leylah would have come out of the gate more confident and less nervous if Andreescu had won.

by ti-amie DAY FOUR RESULTS

Group A – Switzerland defeated Canada 2-1

Viktorija Golubic (SUI) d. Bianca Andreescu (CAN) 2-6 6-3 6-4

Belinda Bencic (SUI) d. Leylah Fernandez (CAN) 6-0 7-5

Gabriela Dabrowski/Leylah Fernandez (CAN) d. Jil Teichmann/Simona Waltert (SUI) 6-2 6-1

Group D – Czech Republic defeated USA 2-1

Marketa Vondrousova (CZE) d. Danielle Collins (USA) 6-3 6-3

Katerina Siniakova (CZE) d. Coco Gauff (USA) 7-6(1) 6-1

Madison Keys/Taylor Townsend (USA) d. Karolina Muchova/Karolina Pliskova (CZE) 6-3 6-3

Switzerland and Czech Republic advance to the semi-finals as winners of Groups A and D, respectively.

SEMI-FINAL SCHEDULE

Saturday 12 November 2022

10:00 GMT – Australia v Great Britain

Not before 16:00 GMT – Switzerland v Czech Republic

The players representing each team will be announced one hour prior to the scheduled start of each tie.

by ashkor87 Happy to see Bencic playing well..court seems medium to fast, suits her..sad that Krejcikova is injured, she was really hitting her stride, would have given Czech sn edge..Pliskova is past her best now, don't expect much from her..now any of these 4 teams could win, though Suisse certainly seems the strongest...

by Deuce They were saying that the court is slow, actually.

When the players were bouncing the ball before serving, you heard a very hollow sound - it is not the sound of a solid base (like concrete, etc). It sounds more like what wood sounds like.

by ashkor87
ashkor87 wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 3:09 am
Americans are the most individualistic people on earth..playing for a group or nation doesn't come naturally..which is why, I think, the US historically underperforms in Davis Cup, BjK cup etc. It just doesn't motivate Americans enough..

by ponchi101 Well, I gather you mean recent history, because the USA has the most wins in both competitions 38 wins/29 RU in DC, 18 wins/12 RU in Fed/BJK cup.
And the USA won the DC cup as recently as 2007, before entering the decline in the sport, and the Fed cup as recently as 2017.
I agree that Jimmy Connors never warmed up to the event; it was not his cup of tea. But Mac clearly said, at the peak of his career, that if it was DC, "just tell me when and where". Agassi, Sampras and Courier all won it, and Sampras' stopped playing when, after his 1995 DC heroics versus Russia, he came back to no fanfare and literally page 32 of the Sports Illustrated issue of that week (paraphrasing, he said "If this is how much people here in the USA care about the Dc, why should I?").
I will agree: for some countries, this is huge. The women in Czechia play they hearts out for it. For the Argentinean men, it was "the white whale", until they go it. But if you see the list of recent players for the USA, it has been their top players. They do not send team B for the DC or BJK cup.

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ti-amie SEMI-FINAL RESULTS

Australia defeated Great Britain 2-1

Storm Sanders (AUS) d. Heather Watson (GBR) 6-4 7-6(3)

Harriet Dart (GBR) d. Ajla Tomljanovic (AUS) 7-6(3) 6-2

Storm Sanders/Samantha Stosur (AUS) d. Alicia Barnett/Olivia Nicholls (GBR) 7-6(1) 6-7(5) [10-6]

Switzerland defeated Czech Republic 2-0

Viktorija Golubic (SUI) d. Karolina Muchova (CZE) 6-4 6-4

Belinda Bencic (SUI) d. Karolina Pliskova (CZE) 6-2 7-6(6)

Belinda Bencic/Jil Teichmann (SUI) v Katerina Siniakova/Marketa Vondrousova (CZE) – not played

FINAL SCHEDULE

Sunday 13 November

14:00 GMT – Billie Jean King Cup final – Switzerland v Australia

The players representing each team will be announced one hour prior to the tie. Please note: the draw for the 2023 Billie Jean King Cup by Gainbridge Qualifiers takes place at the Emirates Arena in Glasgow at 13:00 GMT on Sunday. Follow the draw live on BillieJeanKingCup.com and the competition's social media channels.

by ashkor87
ponchi101 wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:59 pm Well, I gather you mean recent history, because the USA has the most wins in both competitions 38 wins/29 RU in DC, 18 wins/12 RU in Fed/BJK cup.
And the USA won the DC cup as recently as 2007, before entering the decline in the sport, and the Fed cup as recently as 2017.
I agree that Jimmy Connors never warmed up to the event; it was not his cup of tea. But Mac clearly said, at the peak of his career, that if it was DC, "just tell me when and where". Agassi, Sampras and Courier all won it, and Sampras' stopped playing when, after his 1995 DC heroics versus Russia, he came back to no fanfare and literally page 32 of the Sports Illustrated issue of that week (paraphrasing, he said "If this is how much people here in the USA care about the Dc, why should I?").
I will agree: for some countries, this is huge. The women in Czechia play they hearts out for it. For the Argentinean men, it was "the white whale", until they go it. But if you see the list of recent players for the USA, it has been their top players. They do not send team B for the DC or BJK cup.
True..but if it had been merely capability, there have been years when there was no reason why the US would not win, but they never had their A team..Serena, for instance...

by ti-amie

by ashkor87 Rinaldi has compounded the problem with poor decisions- why field Coco just after a disastrous run at the YEc, when her confidence must have been low? In the past, she has repeatedly Sloane, who is probably the worst FedCup player (relative to her own capability, of course!).

by ashkor87 So now it is Switzerland vs Australia...both highly motivated teams..but The Swiss are simply playing better right now...Bencic is a champion and Golubic is playing like one..
Their win over Czech was not surprising, given Pliskova,'s poor form lately and the fact that Krejcikova is missing, injured..
(Feels wierd that krejcikova is czech's best singles player,,)

by ponchi101 Do you consider Belinda to be a player with "class"? (as per your definition).

by ashkor87 Bencic has class, yes, but she has not performed up to her ability, should have won a major by now...
Re bjk, Tomljanovic is not playing that well..losing to Dart?

by ashkor87
ponchi101 wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:59 pm Well, I gather you mean recent history, because the USA has the most wins in both competitions 38 wins/29 RU in DC, 18 wins/12 RU in Fed/BJK cup.
If Serena and Venus had turned out regularly for the US, how would anyone have ever beaten them?!

by ponchi101 Serena has a 14-1 record in Fed Cup, in singles.
Yes, hard to see a Serena/Venus team during the early 2000's losing much.

by Deuce
ashkor87 wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 4:45 am Americans are the most individualistic people on earth..playing for a group or nation doesn't come naturally..which is why, I think, the US historically underperforms in Davis Cup, BjK cup etc. It just doesn't motivate Americans enough..
Saying that Americans are the most individualistic people on Earth is an interesting assertion.
I agree with it...
But Americans are also among the most patriotic people on Earth.

I see it as a very empty and superficial patriotism, though - I view the very loud "America is #1", "USA is the best", waving the flag stuff as being founded in superficial ego - which itself is founded in insecurity and a fear that people will find out the truth.
Of course we are speaking in generalisations here - there are always individual exceptions.

If one truly feels that he/she is the best, those people are usually humble and quiet about it.
Humility has never been known as a widespread American trait.
They are generally viewed as being '#1' in arrogance, however...

by ti-amie SWITZERLAND DEFEAT AUSTRALIA TO WIN FIRST BILLIE JEAN KING CUP TITLE

2022 Billie Jean King Cup final result

Switzerland defeated Australia 2-0

Jil Teichmann (SUI) d. Storm Sanders (AUS) 6-3 4-6 6-3
Belinda Bencic (SUI) d. Ajla Tomljanovic (AUS) 6-2 6-1
Belinda Bencic/Jil Teichmann (SUI) v Storm Sanders/Samantha Stosur (AUS) – not played

Wins for Jil Teichmann and Belinda Bencic saw Switzerland overcome Australia and win their first Billie Jean King Cup by Gainbridge title in Glasgow on Sunday, making amends for their defeat in the 2021 final in Prague. Teichmann battled her way to a three-set triumph against Storm Sanders before Bencic powered past Ajla Tomljanovic to secure the victory for the Swiss team.

The result sees Switzerland become the 12th nation to win the Billie Jean King Cup title, and the first new champion in the competition since Italy in 2006. The Swiss had previously lost both finals they had contested, finishing as runners-up to Spain in 1998 in addition to their defeat to Russian Tennis Federation last year.

For Australia, who also finished as runners-up in 2019, Sunday's defeat extends a losing streak in Billie Jean King Cup final ties. Since winning their seventh and most-recent title in 1974, the Australians have lost all 10 finals they have contested.

As finalists this year, Switzerland and Australia have both secured automatic qualification for the 2023 Billie Jean King Cup by Gainbridge Finals.

FIRST JACKET AWARDED TO FEMALE PROFESSIONAL ATHLETES

The winners of this year’s Finals were also presented with their very own 'Billie Blue”' jacket, specially designed by American luxury fashion label Tory Burch, the official outfitter of the Billie Jean King Cup by Gainbridge. This is the very first jacket to be awarded to professional female athletes. Like the Masters golf green jacket, it is a garment that must be earned. It has been designed to provide an additional reward for the winning team and an added inspiration for young girls to represent their country in the women’s World Cup of Tennis. The jacket includes a message from Billie Jean King to the winners stitched on the inside of the jacket. She says it’s more than just a jacket — it represents ambition, gender equality, and love. It’s making history.

by ti-amie MEDIA ADVISORY

13 November 2022

Draw for 2023 Billie Jean King Cup by Gainbridge Qualifiers held today, Sunday 13 November, at 13:00 GMT
- Livestreamed on BillieJeanKingCup.com -

The draw for the 2023 Billie Jean King Cup by Gainbridge Qualifiers will be held in Glasgow today, Sunday 13 November, at 13:00 GMT – ahead of the 2022 final between Switzerland and Australia, which begins at 14:00 GMT. The draw will be livestreamed on BillieJeanKingCup.com and the competition’s social media channels.

The 18 nations in the Qualifiers draw include the following:

10 nations that finished in 3rd-12th place at 2022 Billie Jean King Cup Finals in Glasgow
8 winners of 2022 Billie Jean King Cup Play-offs on 11-12 November

The nine Qualifier ties will be played on a home-and-away basis on Friday 14 – Saturday 15 April 2023. Each tie consists of two singles matches on day one, and two singles matches followed by a doubles on day two.

Seeds for the draw are based on the interim Billie Jean King Cup rankings – which include results from the Finals and Play-offs this week. Nine seeded nations will be drawn against the nine unseeded nations. The full updated rankings will be published on Monday 14 November.

The nine winning nations in the Qualifiers will advance to the 2023 Finals, while the nine losing nations will compete in the 2023 Play-offs.

As finalists this year, Switzerland and Australia have qualified automatically for the 2023 Finals. The host nation for the 2023 Finals (to be announced in due course) will receive the 12th place at the event. If the host team has already qualified, a wild card will be awarded to a team that has not already qualified.

Seeded nations

Spain
Czech Republic
France
Canada
USA
Slovakia
Germany
Kazakhstan
Romania

Unseeded nations

Austria
Beligum
Brazil
Great Britain
Italy
Mexico
Poland
Slovenia
Ukraine

by ponchi101 Extremely and pleasantly surprised that the Swiss won. Nothing against Australia, but good to see new winners.
Another "Country" medal for Belinda. Maybe, it is the opposite of what Ashkor says about nationalism; Belinda maybe has a lot of it.

by ashkor87 I am not surprised, not at all .bencic is a high-quality player on hard courts . The Aussies have nobody comparable..and yes, she did show at the Olympics that playing for her country means something to her..

by Deuce Given who was playing - and who wasn't - for the various teams, I am not surprised by the Swiss win.
They are certainly a stronger team than the Australian team presented. Canada had a chance to beat them, but, realistically, neither Leylah nor Bianca have had a very good year... The U.S.A. had a team of inconsistent players - you never know what you're going to get from both Gauff and Keys - they are both capable of good and bad (Gauff has the excuse of youth and inexperience, but Keys does not)... The Czechs were missing a big piece in both singles and doubles in Krejcikova...

Britain surprised with their level of competitiveness - they certainly 'punched higher than their weight'.

Congratulations to the Swiss team. All three main players contributed, with Golubic rising to the challenge with a big - and crucial - win over Andreescu.

by ashkor87 Something will have to be done about holding the BjK cup right after the YEC..swiatek chose not to play and Coco and Pegula played, but badly ,.

by ponchi101
ashkor87 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:12 pm Something will have to be done about holding the BjK cup right after the YEC..swiatek chose not to play and Coco and Pegula played, but badly ,.
Good point. One week off would have made an incredible difference.

by JTContinental I don't see a BJK23 Cup thread yet, but also don't want to start one if I just didn't see it somewhere.

Keys is out for team USA, replaced by Kenin