2022. ATP year in review.

Our main board to talk about our sport

Who is the player of the year.

Carlitos. #1 and the USO
22%
Nadal. Two slams.
33%
Novak. W, the ATP Finals and only played a handful of tournaments.
33%
Mr. Other.
11%

Total votes: 9

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

2022. ATP year in review.

Post by ponchi101 »

The year is over, for all practical purposes.
So.
Only one thing is clear. Alcaraz is the world #1. He has the points. But that is not the whole story.
Who had THE BEST year?
Who is the best player?
Who is the most improved player? (that one is tough, and it is not necessarily Carlitos).
Who regressed? And since that list is not a one name list, who regressed THE MOST?
Who is lined up for a very big 2023?
After all this, Nadal and Novak still won 3 out of 4 slams. Are the news kids for real?

Or any other question you may have.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
patrick United States of America

Re: 2022. ATP year in review.

Post by patrick »

1. Despite not being number 1, Casper Ruud
2. Novak Djokovic
3. Holger Rune
4. Despite being in Top 10, Daniil Medvedev
5. Holger Rune
6. No
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I will give best year to Carlitos. He came all the way from 38 to #1, and had his first Slam and MS1000's.
Yes, hard to say that Novak is not the nest player. He is simply toying with people lately.
Most improved. Tie between Carlitos and Holger. I really want to see them on a hard court, with both healthy.
Most regressed? Stefanos. Sure, he won Monte Carlo, but was a total non factor at the slams, and that is where you now have to measure them. But if you add people that stagnated, the list is too long: Rublev is stuck there, Sinner made no progress (other than two sets at Wimbledon), Daniil as you say.
What about Matteo? Sure, he was injured plenty, but he is nowhere near a conversation about slams, when last year he made a final.
Big 23: Rune and Carlitos. But I say Rune hates to lose more than Carlitos. If he gets a bit stronger, he could do some damage.
The rest of the kids caught up with Novak and Rafa outside of the slams. But once there, sorry. They still have them all in their pockets.
led14pa2 United States of America

Post by led14pa2 »

Great topic!

1. I'd say Novak had the best year. Wimbledon, Rome, and the ATP Finals are all big titles. He also had no early round losses except Monte Carlo.
2. Novak is still the guy to beat. For now.
3. Agreed on Rune and Carlitos being most improved. It's great to see young players win big titles on the men's side.
4. I'd go Medvedev slightly ahead of Tsitsipas/Matteo for most regressed. How quickly things change since he was up 2 sets in the AO final!
5. Zverev should be ready to make a strong comeback from injury.
6. Carlitos and Rune are for real. Rune definitely hates to lose. I'm not sold yet on Musetti, Sinner, and Draper.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

As I said elsewhere, this year has left a sour taste in my mouth .the atrocious behavior of the AO fans, the political posturing that kept Djokovic out of Australia, the equally vile politics around the Wimbledon ban..I have never seen a year that made the tennis so much of a secondary thing..the retirements of Barty and Federer left me sad, as did Osaka's troubles..the only good things that came out of this year is the rise of Alcaraz and Swiatek and the emergence of Rybakina..
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:31 pm The year is over, for all practical purposes.
So.
Only one thing is clear. Alcaraz is the world #1. He has the points. But that is not the whole story.
Who had THE BEST year?
Who is the best player?
Who is the most improved player? (that one is tough, and it is not necessarily Carlitos).
Who regressed? And since that list is not a one name list, who regressed THE MOST?
After all this, Nadal and Novak still won 3 out of 4 slams. Are the news kids for real?

I'm going to say Rafa had the best year because to be honest he had no business winning two Slams.

The best player this year? It has to be Carlitos because as was posted already he came from #38 to make it to #1. That said he still has a lot to learn and it looks like with Ferrero leading his team he'll be ready to meet the challenges he'll face next year.

Most improved? I'll pick Felix. He's holding his own late in matches and that is something that he had failed to do in the past. He beat some good players during the European indoor season. He has to be looking to go deep in Australia - at least the quarter finals.
If Tiafoe maintains his focus and concentration he could also have a very big year. He's hungry but he needs to FOCUS.

Who regressed? Rublev is stagnant. I never saw it with Medvedev but he doesn't seem to have the fire he had when everyone had picked him for next big/biggest thing. Sinner is also stagnant but maybe Cahill is making the changes that he needs to become one of the top ranked.

Who is lined up for a very big 2023? Y'all don't see it but I would say Fritz, Coric if he can stay uninjured. Carlitos of course. I'm not convinced Rune has it.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:31 pm The year is over, for all practical purposes.
So.
Who had THE BEST year?
Who is the best player?

I would rather just wipe this year from my memory banks but just to play..
Djokovic is the best player- he won everything he was allowed to compete for (except RG) on the wta, Swiatek without a doubt
Most improved- Alcaraz..winning the USO from where he was at the start of the year..on the WTA, Garcia ..she has forced herself into the conversation even for a major..at the start of the year, she was nowhere in the conversation
Regressed the most - Medvedev and Raducanu
Lined up for a big 2023- Alcaraz and Samsonova..Samsonova will do a Rybakina this year, I think..
The new kids are for real but not yet..Nadal and Djokovic are still better..
One question I would mull over is- what is the one thing that really went right last year and really wrong, in the way the tours are run? I would say the defence of Peng Shuai, and the kowtowing of the tournaments to political pressure- respectively.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

You did say ATP in review but I took the liberty of commenting on the WTA as well..why not?
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I think Brandon Nakashima can also do well in 2023.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

ashkor87 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:19 am You did say ATP in review but I took the liberty of commenting on the WTA as well..why not?
Remember you can always open topics. I don't want to open them all and besides, I get to seldom watch the WTA.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

It may be easier to just expand the title..the same questions are relevant, after all...though I do know you are gracious about letting people create topics ..
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

ponchi101 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:03 am
ashkor87 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:19 am You did say ATP in review but I took the liberty of commenting on the WTA as well..why not?
Remember you can always open topics. I don't want to open them all and besides, I get to seldom watch the WTA.
I was going to do that after seeing this thread... so I took the liberty and did start the 'WTA 2022 Year in Review' topic, using the same questions as here in the opening post.
I can't create a poll, though - so if any of you who can create a poll for the WTA thread, feel free...
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

re the sportsmanship award, I havent seen any better examples than Alcaraz, conceding points to the opponent even against the chair's ruling. someitmes critical points. Nothing against Ruud, but I think Alcaraz deserves recognition and applause ..
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

That is one award that right now, is highly contested:
Alcaraz, Ruud, FAA, Rafa, Fritz and Hurkacz are all very well behaved, likeable players. And I am only looking at the top 10.