WTA 2022 - Year in Review...

Our main board to talk about our sport
ashkor87 India

Re: WTA 2022 - Year in Review...

Post by ashkor87 »

JTContinental wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:32 am Garcia is my pick for next year's biggest flop
I venture to disagree..like Wozniacki, she may get momentum from this win, and even go on to take the AO...after that, I don't know but her serve will work well on grass anyhow..
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ashkor87 wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:39 am
meganfernandez wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:23 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:38 pm Ons is my most improved. Yes, she did not win a slam but two finals is a great achievement. Garcia comes close.
Can I steal your thought on Ons? I'm writing about her for Tennis.com in its year-in-review coverage. I like the idea that she might be the most-improved player on tour. It's easier for a player like Garcia to show a lot of improvement when they start from so far back. But what about Iga, considering where she started 2022? No one saw that dominance coming.

I have to say what her biggest missed opportunity was in 2022, and it's definitely the Wimbledon final when she won the first set convincingly.

For her most memorable moment, I think I'll go with playing doubles with Serena in Eastbourne.
I would be wary of investing too much into Jabeur..she has gone off the boil totally after the USO..if anything, she would be my pick for 'most likely to flop next year', just as Badosa was this year.

With her kind of game, she should have done well at the YEC..a disappointing and puzzling end to her year..
She might have been tired, mentally and/or physically. She got to Texas 10 days early to prepare. But she was also playing against the best in the world. I don't put too much stock in an individual result. She had a great year and while we never know what would happen, I'd bet on her to keep it up in 2023.

Post by meganfernandez »

ti-amie wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:34 am
JTContinental wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:32 am Garcia is my pick for next year's biggest flop
The pressure is on her now to do well in Australia. If she makes the QF she may have a decent year. If she doesn't...
This could be, or it could go the other way - no pressure since she just won a big title and proved herself. Also, she has been around the block - she knows how to handle pressure and is improving in that department.

Iga's going to be defending so many points, I wonder how she will deal with this follow-up year to her run of dominance. In her favor, she has such a massive lead that she afford to drop a lot of those points and stay in the top 3, so maybe she won't feel the pressure to defend. And she has a great team, so I like her chances to handle it well. But it's a different situation this year.

Post by meganfernandez »

ashkor87 wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:16 pm
I venture to disagree..like Wozniacki, she may get momentum from this win, and even go on to take the AO...after that, I don't know but her serve will work well on grass anyhow..
Interesting comparison between Garcia and Wozniacki. Caro definitely got a confidence bump from winning the WTA Finals in 2017. She actually had lost in 6 or 7 finals that year until late September and finally got one. She could have gotten discouraged, but she kept telling herself that eventually things have to go her way - positive thinking. And she did, and then rolled in to the WTA Finals with some confidence. Then at the AO, she was down and out in the second round, trailing 5-1, 40-15 in the third to Jana Fett, and came back. I'm sure her confidence was key there.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

meganfernandez wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:21 pm

Can I steal your thought on Ons? I'm writing about her for Tennis.com in its year-in-review coverage. I like the idea that she might be the most-improved player on tour. It's easier for a player like Garcia to show a lot of improvement when they start from so far back. But what about Iga, considering where she started 2022? No one saw that dominance coming.

I have to say what her biggest missed opportunity was in 2022, and it's definitely the Wimbledon final when she won the first set convincingly.

For her most memorable moment, I think I'll go with playing doubles with Serena in Eastbourne.
I would be wary of investing too much into Jabeur..she has gone off the boil totally after the USO..if anything, she would be my pick for 'most likely to flop next year', just as Badosa was this year.

With her kind of game, she should have done well at the YEC..a disappointing and puzzling end to her year..
She might have been tired, mentally and/or physically. She got to Texas 10 days early to prepare. But she was also playing against the best in the world. I don't put too much stock in an individual result. She had a great year and while we never know what would happen, I'd bet on her to keep it up in 2023.
I love watching Jabeur's eclectic game of variety... But my concern with her is that she seems to falter in big matches. It's like she got to the point where she can reach the big stage, but once there, the nerves overcome her, and she is a mere shadow of herself in those circumstances.
It's not as if she's a youngster who is overwhelmed by the biggest stages - she's been around for long enough to have a stable and experienced foundation. And so I wonder if she'll ever be able to get over that hump and perform well in the biggest matches.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

meganfernandez wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:21 pm

Certainly hope so, would be good to have her variety at the top of the tour...
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I had totally forgotten about Qinwen. So yes, that could be it. She has the strokes, and she has the size and physical abilities (at least, that was my impression the ONLY time I have seen her).
Just needs one big tournament to enter the fray.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem