Tennis players we loat....I mean, don't really care much for

Our main board to talk about our sport
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: Tennis players we loat....I mean, don't really care much for

Post by ponchi101 »

As long as you avoid the First Wednesday at RG, indeed the best time.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

ponchi101 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:17 pm As long as you avoid the First Wednesday at RG, indeed the best time.
What goes on during the first Wednesday?
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Children's day. They go in for free (or reduced prices). So unless you really, really, really like screaming kids, go to the Louvre that day.
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

I hear what you all are saying, but there is also something to be said for seeing a final match. And you usually get a doubles and singles final, so there's that. If you really like a player or the players in the final, it's super exciting to be there live (though not at the US Open in the 200's--that is totally pointless, IMHO). But of course, going the first week is also fun. You can see a ton of matches and players, and there is a general buzz that is lacking the finals weekend, as y'all have said.

And yes, Leyton should be here. I wonder how his suit to trademark "C'mon" ended? That in and of itself it qualifies him.

I'll group him with Lady Antebellum. (Google it. :) )

Kevin
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Did we mention Fabio? Because Fabio has to be mentioned. The man tanks like an M1 Abrams. He excels at that.
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

ponchi101 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:20 am Did we mention Fabio? Because Fabio has to be mentioned. The man tanks like an M1 Abrams. He excels at that.
I second that emotion, though for additional reasons as well.

Kevin
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Speaking of tanks... Bernard has been mentioned only once previously in this thread, and just very briefly.
Unlike his fellow Aussie, I’ve never seen any sign of passion or caring from Tomic. He claims to be playing only for the money, and it’s quite apparent that’s true.
He has an interesting and seldom seen type of game. Very deceptive. Similar to the ‘Big Cat’, Miloslav Mecir. He could easily be a top 20 player - maybe even top 10.

A few years ago, there wasn't much else happening on the tournament grounds - most of the matches were done for the day... so I was watching one of Tomic's qualifying matches live on a smaller court that had seating only along one side - benches about 10 rows high - seating for maybe 200 people. I was on the highest bench. A few of us were standing so that we could see the court next door, on which some players were practicing. And the practice was often more interesting than the Tomic match.

At one point, an overzealous usher told us that we must sit down - out of respect for the players. We weren’t moving around or disturbing anyone - we were simply standing still, as we could see both courts that way. I told the usher that we weren’t disturbing anyone - no player had complained about us, etc. But the usher didn’t like it, saying “It’s disrespectful to the players playing this match that you’re watching players on another court.” (This discussion was during a changeover, of course.)
I shot back “Disrespectful? Are you serious? You see that guy (I pointed at Tomic)? He’s never tried his best in any match. THAT’S far more disrespectful than us standing so we can see more interesting tennis than is happening in this match. I’ll tell you what - I’ll sit down when he starts making an honest effort on the court.” That was the end of the discussion.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

dmforever wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:28 am I hear what you all are saying, but there is also something to be said for seeing a final match. And you usually get a doubles and singles final, so there's that. If you really like a player or the players in the final, it's super exciting to be there live (though not at the US Open in the 200's--that is totally pointless, IMHO). But of course, going the first week is also fun. You can see a ton of matches and players, and there is a general buzz that is lacking the finals weekend, as y'all have said.

And yes, Leyton should be here. I wonder how his suit to trademark "C'mon" ended? That in and of itself it qualifies him.

Kevin

200s? Big spender! :D It always ends up being the nosebleeds (400s) or courtside for me in Ashe (I've never paid for courtside, just got lucky with friends/rain a few times).
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

mmmm8 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:29 pm
dmforever wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:28 am I hear what you all are saying, but there is also something to be said for seeing a final match. And you usually get a doubles and singles final, so there's that. If you really like a player or the players in the final, it's super exciting to be there live (though not at the US Open in the 200's--that is totally pointless, IMHO). But of course, going the first week is also fun. You can see a ton of matches and players, and there is a general buzz that is lacking the finals weekend, as y'all have said.

Kevin

200s? Big spender! :D It always ends up being the nosebleeds (400s) or courtside for me in Ashe (I've never paid for courtside, just got lucky with friends/rain a few times).
Oh, I guess i meant the 400's. I didn't remember the numbering system and thought it was like arena concerts. :) There are three tiers, and I meant the 3rd one. I've sat in the next to the last row at Wimbledon and it was still great. Ditto at the French. But it's totally pointless (pun intended) to watch tennis from the 400's at the US Open.

Kevin
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Seeing Dan Evans winning a tournament reminded me he's the player I come very close to loathing.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Liamvalid Great Britain

Post by Liamvalid »

ti-amie wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:25 pm Seeing Dan Evans winning a tournament reminded me he's the player I come very close to loathing.
I’m glad I’m not on my own there
Mary, queen of shots

Post by JazzNU »

dmforever wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:11 pm
Oh, I guess i meant the 400's. I didn't remember the numbering system and thought it was like arena concerts. :) There are three tiers, and I meant the 3rd one. I've sat in the next to the last row at Wimbledon and it was still great. Ditto at the French. But it's totally pointless (pun intended) to watch tennis from the 400's at the US Open.

Kevin
I've sat in the nosebleeds on Ashe and I'm happy every time. Happier when I'm in the first several rows of that section, but still. Like most large stadiums, I think it's about what you've become accustomed to. But as far as I'm concerned, I could see, hear and count Novak's 18 ball bounces before he served as well as anyone sitting in the lower sections.

If that's the section that fits your budget, I still say go and enjoy, it's a great experience for a tennis fan. Watch what you can on Ashe, and then go on the grounds and see other matches closer up.
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Silly question: how easy is it to actually acquire a mid level (2nd tier) seats at Ashe for 4R or QF stage provided you can afford it? In Wimbledon you have to win a lottery for such a privilege...

I've attended USO 2x, but both times I had a grounds pass + one stadium upper seats (used for maybe 1 h max).
dmforever

Post by dmforever »

JazzNU wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:50 am
dmforever wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:11 pm

Kevin
I've sat in the nosebleeds on Ashe and I'm happy every time. Happier when I'm in the first several rows of that section, but still. Like most large stadiums, I think it's about what you've become accustomed to. But as far as I'm concerned, I could see, hear and count Novak's 18 ball bounces before he served as well as anyone sitting in the lower sections.

If that's the section that fits your budget, I still say go and enjoy, it's a great experience for a tennis fan. Watch what you can on Ashe, and then go on the grounds and see other matches closer up.
I guess we are going to disagree on this one. I would rather not go than sit in the 400's. I felt like I was so far away that it was pointless even watching. And all around me people were doing other things (reading, texting, chatting) for that very reason. I'm glad you enjoyed your experience though. :)

Kevin

Post by JazzNU »

Suliso wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:09 pm Silly question: how easy is it to actually acquire a mid level (2nd tier) seats at Ashe for 4R or QF stage provided you can afford it? In Wimbledon you have to win a lottery for such a privilege...

I've attended USO 2x, but both times I had a grounds pass + one stadium upper seats (used for maybe 1 h max).
Not really an issue. Not sure how ticketing is done in Europe, but there is a big aftermarket for tickets here, it's a profitable free-for-all. What you may not be able to buy directly from the US Open, you can get from a ticket broker later on at a competitive or marked up price depending on demand. Hard to remember exactly, but pretty sure I haven't bought US Open tickets directly from the US Open or through their distributor Ticketmaster in well over a decade.

In terms of 4th Round or QF. I think the price wouldn't be terrible for 4th Round, but for QF? The earlier you buy them the better. If it gets to 2 days before and you can guess for instance, that Federer will be playing in a good match, not some drubbing, in the night session? Game over on price.