by dmforever Hingis is number one on my list. Maybe it was her dismissal of Graf as as someone who's time had come and gone before Graf kicked her butt in the RG final. Or maybe it was her homophobic remarks about Mauresmo at the Australian Open. And then there was this, in Jon Wertheim's column this week. I thought it was about all good experiences fans had had with pros, so when I saw Hingis's name, I thought, OK, here's a chance for me to see another side of her. And...no.

• Richard Wolf of New York: About 15 years ago, I went on a vacation to Key Biscayne the week when the Miami Open was going on. The hotel was filled with many pros and the hotel’s courts were used by many to practice. I had a court reserved to play with my 14-year-old daughter. Martina Hingis had just returned to the tour after an absence and was suddenly doing very well and was in the top 10. She came to the court we had reserved with her mother to practice. Even though it was our court, we gave it to them and as Martina went on the court, I said to her mother that Martina was doing very well. The mother’s response: “You Americans think everything is always great!” Evidently being ranked anything other than No. 1 was not good enough. And there was certainly no thank you for giving Martina our court.

I really should start a GoFundMe page for Iva Majoli. :)

Kevin

by mmmm8 Hingis will always be my favorite player to watch. But I used to adore her all around when I was young and then that of course slowly dissipated over time based on some things said and done off-court. That said, the above example is more a commentary about Melanie Molitor who is definitely not winning congeniality awards any time soon!

Fun fact: Those courts at the Ritz-Carlton Key Biscayne are operated by Cliff Drysdale's company. I didn't realize just how many tennis resorts Drysdale's company runs/operates until I saw that - it's a lot. He certainly isn't in the commentator business for money.

by meganfernandez Anyone vocally against equal prize money - Stakhovsky and Simon are the ones I think of first. Simon is a shame, because I had a fun Simon story from 2008, when he won Indianapolis, and he ruined it by campaigning against EPM. And yesterday I saw a video of Stakhovsky practicing with Kostyuk (both Ukranian), whose quarantine videos I was enjoying and I was thinking I'd start watching her, maybe become a fan. Ugh. Kinda put a damper on that.

by the Moz
dmforever wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:12 am

I really should start a GoFundMe page for Iva Majoli. :)
:ax :ax :ax :ax :ax

by the Moz NOW
Konta - To borrow from Mr. Cowell, 'it's a no for me'.
Cornet - If tennis ever experienced a storming of the Bastille, I'm coming for her first!
Isner - Ace robot that can't break serve is an affront to tennis itself.
Kyrgios - I have never come across a player that complains about the sport more than actually playing it.

THEN
Davenport - See Konta.
Bartoli - Service motion, end of.
Rusedski - TRAITOR!
Roddick - Cap on backwards and too easily perturbed.

by ponchi101 Gee, which CURRENT player may end up in this list like, soon, really soon? I wonder...

By and large, the current crop of players are all very well behaved. Example, I really dislike Medvedev's STROKES, but the guy is alright. Can't talk smack about him.
For loath I believe I need to go back all the way to Rios, and I don't mean I did. But he had zero friends in the tour because he was despised by everybody. Story:
Jakob Hslazek was scheduled to play Rios, and he was having a rough time on the tour; thoughts or retirement were present. But, as he walked to the court, the other players lined up and started telling him to kick Rios' butt, to crush him, to play really hard. Fed by this frenzy, indeed he went out and beat him, returning to the locker room to resounding applause. Hlasek said that gave him the confidence to play one extra year in the tour.

Edit: Ok, while I wrote this, such player was mentioned. Joke spoiled... :D

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:49 pm Gee, which CURRENT player may end up in this list like, soon, really soon? I wonder...

By and large, the current crop of players are all very well behaved. Example, I really dislike Medvedev's STROKES, but the guy is alright. Can't talk smack about him.
For loath I believe I need to go back all the way to Rios, and I don't mean I did. But he had zero friends in the tour because he was despised by everybody. Story:
Jakob Hslazek was scheduled to play Rios, and he was having a rough time on the tour; thoughts or retirement were present. But, as he walked to the court, the other players lined up and started telling him to kick Rios' butt, to crush him, to play really hard. Fed by this frenzy, indeed he went out and beat him, returning to the locker room to resounding applause. Hlasek said that gave him the confidence to play one extra year in the tour.

Edit: Ok, while I wrote this, such player was mentioned. Joke spoiled... :D
I don't think anyone mentioned Rios. Love that story!

by dmforever
mmmm8 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:17 pm Hingis will always be my favorite player to watch. But I used to adore her all around when I was young and then that of course slowly dissipated over time based on some things said and done off-court. That said, the above example is more a commentary about Melanie Molitor who is definitely not winning congeniality awards any time soon!

Fun fact: Those courts at the Ritz-Carlton Key Biscayne are operated by Cliff Drysdale's company. I didn't realize just how many tennis resorts Drysdale's company runs/operates until I saw that - it's a lot. He certainly isn't in the commentator business for money.
I agree that it's also about Molitor, but Hingis could have easily said thanks to either of the people whose court she had just been gifted. But I'm sure she expected to be deferred to, so why thank someone for that, right?

And thanks for that info about Drysdale. If he's not doing commentating for the money, then I really really hope that whatever is motivating him goes away and he throws in the microphone. ;)

Kevin

by ti-amie Sorry Kevin. ESPN just gave him a one year extension on his broadcasting contract. He could never tell Venus and Serena apart. I wonder how he's doing with Naomi and Cori Gauff?

by JTContinental LAURA SIEGEMUND

That is all

by ti-amie
JTContinental wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:37 pm LAURA SIEGEMUND

That is all
:lol: :lol: :lol:

by Liamvalid I always loathed Carla Suarez Navarro-lovely woman but she has knocked me out of more SPs, contests etc than I care to think of, and lost me a good few quid with the bookies over the years!

In seriousness I don’t think I dislike anyone enough nowadays to say I loathe them. Maybe Tomic and Errani

by ponchi101 The title, technically, DOES NOT say loathe. It says something milder.
So, go ahead. Sure you do! ;)

by Sluggo-13 Tennys Sandgren. Did not need to think too hard about that.

by MJ2004
ponchi101 wrote:Gee, which CURRENT player may end up in this list like, soon, really soon? I wonder...

You know who I could write pages about. But since I’m trying to stay positive, I won’t. You’ve all heard it before.

by JazzNU
dmforever wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:59 pm And thanks for that info about Drysdale. If he's not doing commentating for the money, then I really really hope that whatever is motivating him goes away and he throws in the microphone. ;)

Kevin
Amen. Can't stand his commentary. And him being South African makes it so much worse to tolerate him.

by Deuce
JazzNU wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:30 pm And him being South African makes it so much worse to tolerate him.
^ Very interesting comment - one which could go in a few different directions, at least one of which is rather ugly.
Please elaborate.

by mmmm8 Gael Monfils is mine. Very entertaining, not the world's worst human, but horrifying to be locked in a moving vehicle in.

In the meantime, there are players I've softened on in my/their old age, like Roddick.

by ponchi101 Roddick was petulant at times. But he has been a very thoughtful person, both during his career and after.
I have no issues with him.

by dmforever
mmmm8 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:09 pm Gael Monfils is mine. Very entertaining, not the world's worst human, but horrifying to be locked in a moving vehicle in.
I need help. I don't get what that means.

Kevin

by dmforever
JazzNU wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:30 pm
dmforever wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:59 pm And thanks for that info about Drysdale. If he's not doing commentating for the money, then I really really hope that whatever is motivating him goes away and he throws in the microphone. ;)

Kevin
Amen. Can't stand his commentary. And him being South African makes it so much worse to tolerate him.
"OK, so let's take a look at the Roger Federer serve. Roll the tape. OK, there, now stop the tape. Does everyone see how his left elbow is pronated at a 32.7º angle? OK, roll the tape. Now look at the pinky of his right hand. Stop the tape. It's just slightly separated from his ring finger. OK, roll the tape. Now as his left elbow rotates in conjunction with his right hand, both of which are going up...OK, stop the tape. Now you can see his left eye trained on the ball, while his right eye...roll the tape...And there. A perfect first serve."

I have come so close to self immolation during those analyses. The only think stopping me has been insufficient home insurance.

Kevin

by mmmm8
dmforever wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:56 pm
mmmm8 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:09 pm Gael Monfils is mine. Very entertaining, not the world's worst human, but horrifying to be locked in a moving vehicle in.

Kevin
No secret meaning. I told the story before so didn't want people have to read it again. When TAT used to do tennis journalism, I once shared a tournament ride with Monfils and his entourage and it was an awful experience that involved him making fun of and pranking the nice volunteer driver we had and jokingly threatening to sue him for bad driving, having a farting contest with his friend, and the coup de grace - asking his coach Roger Rasheed if he (Gael) can bite him and then after Rasheed kept refusing (obviously), biting him anyway.

It was probably about 10 years ago.

by dmforever
mmmm8 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:09 am
dmforever wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:56 pm

Kevin
No secret meaning. I told the story before so didn't want people have to read it again. When TAT used to do tennis journalism, I once shared a tournament ride with Monfils and his entourage and it was an awful experience that involved him making fun of and pranking the nice volunteer driver we had and jokingly threatening to sue him for bad driving, having a farting contest with his friend, and the coup de grace - asking his coach Roger Rasheed if he (Gael) can bite him and then after Rasheed kept refusing (obviously), biting him anyway.

It was probably about 10 years ago.
Got it. Thanks (I think) for that. I hadn't read that before. Did the volunteer driver get upset? And the biting thing is just really odd.

Kevin

by mmmm8
dmforever wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:32 am
Got it. Thanks (I think) for that. I hadn't read that before. Did the volunteer driver get upset? And the biting thing is just really odd.

Kevin
No, he was a really sweet man and was trying to be super professional and be nice to/ignore Monfils. Since I was a member of the media, I also felt like I had to maintain professionalism and had to not go off on him. I just asked him to please stop, particularly when he was going at the driver (as did Rasheed and one of the two friends). He did not stop.

Monfils just struck as an immature attention hog with no self-control. It's one thing to have a public persona as an entertainer and another to be that way 24/7 with no regard for others. I really hope Svitolina is 100% into that.

I think Rasheed left him a couple months after and moved back to Australia to spend time with his family.

by the Moz I agree on Monfils. Far too many examples of him interested in being an on court jester than a professional tennis player.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:11 pm Roddick was petulant at times. But he has been a very thoughtful person, both during his career and after.
Roddick became almost insufferable on court at times, the way he went after lines people and umpires. I never HATED him but it was hard to watch sometimes. I often rooted for him, particularly in the 2009 Wimbledon final, even though I was a Fed fan and wanted Roger to get 15 then. I also wanted Roddick to get another Slam and beat Fed in a big match at least once. Roddick definitely took his lumps from Roger with grace, for the most part. He had (and has) more good qualities than bad, for sure. But the recent canonizing of Roddick by Tennis Channel has turned me off. They fall over themselves laughing at every little thing he says, and it's usually not that funny. I guess that's not his fault. I love his wisdom and insight into tennis, though.

He came to Indy a few years ago for a fundraiser for Rajeev Ram's foundation. I believe he's a truly good guy. Just wish he hadn't humiliated line judges so much.

by meganfernandez
mmmm8 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:41 am
dmforever wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:32 am

Kevin
No, he was a really sweet man and was trying to be super professional and be nice to/ignore Monfils. Since I was a member of the media, I also felt like I had to maintain professionalism and had to not go off on him. I just asked him to please stop, particularly when he was going at the driver (as did Rasheed and one of the two friends). He did not stop.

Monfils just struck as an immature attention hog with no self-control. It's one thing to have a public persona as an entertainer and another to be that way 24/7 with no regard for others. I really hope Svitolina is 100% into that.

I think Rasheed left him a couple months after and moved back to Australia to spend time with his family.
That's too bad about Monfils. Hopefully he has matured quite a bit. I don't mind his on-court persona at all. If he wants to be an entertainer, I'm all for it. Wish he had broken through with at least a Slam final, but he has had a nice career and been a fun part of the show, for me.

by ponchi101
meganfernandez wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:30 pm ... But the recent canonizing of Roddick by Tennis Channel has turned me off. They fall over themselves laughing at every little thing he says, and it's usually not that funny. I guess that's not his fault. I love his wisdom and insight into tennis, though.

He came to Indy a few years ago for a fundraiser for Rajeev Ram's foundation. I believe he's a truly good guy. Just wish he hadn't humiliated line judges so much.
So, there is actually a PLUS to NOT having TC? ;)

by Deuce
meganfernandez wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:30 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:11 pm Roddick was petulant at times. But he has been a very thoughtful person, both during his career and after.
Roddick became almost insufferable on court at times, the way he went after lines people and umpires. I never HATED him but it was hard to watch sometimes. I often rooted for him, particularly in the 2009 Wimbledon final, even though I was a Fed fan and wanted Roger to get 15 then. I also wanted Roddick to get another Slam and beat Fed in a big match at least once. Roddick definitely took his lumps from Roger with grace, for the most part. He had (and has) more good qualities than bad, for sure. But the recent canonizing of Roddick by Tennis Channel has turned me off. They fall over themselves laughing at every little thing he says, and it's usually not that funny. I guess that's not his fault. I love his wisdom and insight into tennis, though.

Indeed, Roddick was extremely arrogant on the court - particularly in the last half of his career. I couldn't stand him. He was so incredibly smug - it was clear that he knew he could get away with it because he was the top American player. The way he treated linespeople and umpires was insufferably condescending and disrespectful.
Jim Courrier was similar - terribly disrespectful to linespeople and umpires, while enjoying his 'hardworking', clean image as a player. Both of them obnoxious hypocrites.

When I saw Michael Russell saying 'thank you' to the ball kids every time they gave him a ball, or his towel - EVERY time -, I commended Russell for that. He replied "Yeah - the ball kids and linespeople often get treated like (expletive) by players - I won't mention any names - cough, cough Andy Roddick cough, cough - so I try to let them know that some of us appreciate them."

by the Moz Nice to see Nick being his usual self on court yesterday. And also following it up at his post match presser by reminding all us minions that 'I just like playing by the rules.' He's such a tool :roll: :roll: :roll:

by meganfernandez
Deuce wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:10 am
meganfernandez wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:30 pm

Indeed, Roddick was extremely arrogant on the court - particularly in the last half of his career. I couldn't stand him. He was so incredibly smug - it was clear that he knew he could get away with it because he was the top American player. The way he treated linespeople and umpires was insufferably condescending and disrespectful.
Jim Courrier was similar - terribly disrespectful to linespeople and umpires, while enjoying his 'hardworking', clean image as a player. Both of them obnoxious hypocrites.

When I saw Michael Russell saying 'thank you' to the ball kids every time they gave him a ball, or his towel - EVERY time -, I commended Russell for that. He replied "Yeah - the ball kids and linespeople often get treated like (expletive) by players - I won't mention any names - cough, cough Andy Roddick cough, cough - so I try to let them know that some of us appreciate them."
Russell called Roddick out? That's awesome. There was a theory that Conners was telling Roddick to get mean on court when they were together But it lasted longer than Conners.

by meganfernandez
the Moz wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:07 pm Nice to see Nick being his usual self on court self yesterday. And also following it up at his post match presser by reminding all us minions that 'I just like playing by the rules.' He's such a tool :roll: :roll: :roll:
What did he do on court?

by the Moz
meganfernandez wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:17 pm
the Moz wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:07 pm Nice to see Nick being his usual self on court self yesterday. And also following it up at his post match presser by reminding all us minions that 'I just like playing by the rules.' He's such a tool :roll: :roll: :roll:
What did he do on court?
Something to do with time violation while serving. But he stopped play and wouldn't continue until he dished out some verbal and was told he wouldn't get fined.

by JazzNU Was Lleyton Hewitt mentioned? For obvious reasons I definitely loathe him. I try to not remember him at all, but he's like a bad penny and I saw him yesterday with Team Australia and thought he surely deserved a mention in this thread.

by ponchi101 Gee, indeed I had forgotten him in that aspect. One player that indeed had to be shot with a tranquilizer before going on court. And some after after.

by Liamvalid One person I do loathe, although not a player, is Judy Murray. I had the (mis)fortune of sitting right beside the box during the Wimbledon final 2016. She was up on her feet screeching on almost every point Andy won-including every Raonic error. But if Milos won a point, even a spectacular winner, she’d be sat there stoned faced not even a clap. Seeing as Andy bossed that match from start to finish there was absolutely no need for her to to be so disrespectful towards Raonic. I’m not even particularly a Milos fan but she had me praying that he would win every point

by meganfernandez
Liamvalid wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:18 pm One person I do loathe, although not a player, is Judy Murray. I had the (mis)fortune of sitting right beside the box during the Wimbledon final 2016. She was up on her feet screeching on almost every point Andy won-including every Raonic error. But if Milos won a point, even a spectacular winner, she’d be sat there stoned faced not even a clap. Seeing as Andy bossed that match from start to finish there was absolutely no need for her to to be so disrespectful towards Raonic. I’m not even particularly a Milos fan but she had me praying that he would win every point
That's weird and sad. I want to know how you got seats by the player's box!

by Liamvalid
meganfernandez wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:00 pm
Liamvalid wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:18 pm One person I do loathe, although not a player, is Judy Murray. I had the (mis)fortune of sitting right beside the box during the Wimbledon final 2016. She was up on her feet screeching on almost every point Andy won-including every Raonic error. But if Milos won a point, even a spectacular winner, she’d be sat there stoned faced not even a clap. Seeing as Andy bossed that match from start to finish there was absolutely no need for her to to be so disrespectful towards Raonic. I’m not even particularly a Milos fan but she had me praying that he would win every point
I got them in the ballot. The one and only time I was successful for a final-and I got the worst final in living memory

by meganfernandez
Liamvalid wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:24 pm
I got them in the ballot. The one and only time I was successful for a final-and I got the worst final in living memory
Still, you got to see a Brit win Wimbledon! You can tell your grandkids someday. What was it like to be there?

by Liamvalid
meganfernandez wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:42 pm

Still, you got to see a Brit win Wimbledon! You can tell your grandkids someday. What was it like to be there?
Yeah, and Heather won the mixed doubles right after, in a much more entertaining match! I’ve been a few times before in earlier rounds and I kinda prefer that with more people milling around and matches to choose from. On finals day I was hungover, it was cold, and the insufferable Judy caught my eye far too often, but like you said I did witness a big event in British sporting history with 3 Brits (Gordon Reid won the wheelchair in a match I didn’t see) lifting a trophy on the final Sunday :) I’ve applied every year since and not even been offered a sausage

by meganfernandez
Liamvalid wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:32 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:42 pm

Yeah, and Heather won the mixed doubles right after, in a much more entertaining match! I’ve been a few times before in earlier rounds and I kinda prefer that with more people milling around and matches to choose from. On finals day I was hungover, it was cold, and the insufferable Judy caught my eye far too often, but like you said I did witness a big event in British sporting history with 3 Brits (Gordon Reid won the wheelchair in a match I didn’t see) lifting a trophy on the final Sunday :) I’ve applied every year since and not even been offered a sausage
Early rounds at tournaments are so much more fun. On final day, the place can empty out super fast after the match and it's depressing - that's how I felt at Cincinnati. They were tearing down the arena as we left, taking out the flowers and pulling down signage. And plus, as you said, fewer matches and people.

by ti-amie The best time to go to an event is the first couple of days (if it's a regular tournament) or once or twice during the first week if you can swing it. We like to go Day 1 of the open and then Day 3 or 4. There is so much to do and see then. I went once with a friend who couldn't make it until Labor Day and I was bored out of my mind.

by Liamvalid With the Wimbledon ballot you can’t specify a day or court, you just get what you are given. I did buy tickets for second Monday at RG last year (the May version) as I’ve never attended a tournament outside the Uk, but was refunded when they re-scheduled. Was hoping to go this year instead but doubt that will happen

by JazzNU
ti-amie wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:16 pm The best time to go to an event is the first couple of days (if it's a regular tournament) or once or twice during the first week if you can swing it. We like to go Day 1 of the open and then Day 3 or 4. There is so much to do and see then. I went once with a friend who couldn't make it until Labor Day and I was bored out of my mind.
Completely agree. The latest I've been is the Round of 16 and I know I wouldn't want to go any later than that unless I'm able to attend multiple days of the tournament. I think my favorite may be Round 3, still a ton going on, but the quality of the matchups has increased.

Also, maybe this isn't an issue at other tournaments because ticketing is different, but the later you go in the tournament, the longer the line to get in to see a match it seems. The first couple of times I went to the USO, I don't really remember standing in many lines, so this might be the increased attendance over the years, but the lines to get into Louis Armstrong, Grandstand, and I believe Court 11 and Court 18 by the weekend made you wonder if you should've come just a couple of days earlier.

by Suliso I've only been to Slams and all four times it was either the first weekend or the first Friday + Saturday. So a mixture of R3 and R4, an ideal time to go in my opinion.

by ponchi101 As long as you avoid the First Wednesday at RG, indeed the best time.

by JazzNU
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:17 pm As long as you avoid the First Wednesday at RG, indeed the best time.
What goes on during the first Wednesday?

by ponchi101 Children's day. They go in for free (or reduced prices). So unless you really, really, really like screaming kids, go to the Louvre that day.

by dmforever I hear what you all are saying, but there is also something to be said for seeing a final match. And you usually get a doubles and singles final, so there's that. If you really like a player or the players in the final, it's super exciting to be there live (though not at the US Open in the 200's--that is totally pointless, IMHO). But of course, going the first week is also fun. You can see a ton of matches and players, and there is a general buzz that is lacking the finals weekend, as y'all have said.

And yes, Leyton should be here. I wonder how his suit to trademark "C'mon" ended? That in and of itself it qualifies him.

I'll group him with Lady Antebellum. (Google it. :) )

Kevin

by ponchi101 Did we mention Fabio? Because Fabio has to be mentioned. The man tanks like an M1 Abrams. He excels at that.

by dmforever
ponchi101 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:20 am Did we mention Fabio? Because Fabio has to be mentioned. The man tanks like an M1 Abrams. He excels at that.
I second that emotion, though for additional reasons as well.

Kevin

by Deuce Speaking of tanks... Bernard has been mentioned only once previously in this thread, and just very briefly.
Unlike his fellow Aussie, I’ve never seen any sign of passion or caring from Tomic. He claims to be playing only for the money, and it’s quite apparent that’s true.
He has an interesting and seldom seen type of game. Very deceptive. Similar to the ‘Big Cat’, Miloslav Mecir. He could easily be a top 20 player - maybe even top 10.

A few years ago, there wasn't much else happening on the tournament grounds - most of the matches were done for the day... so I was watching one of Tomic's qualifying matches live on a smaller court that had seating only along one side - benches about 10 rows high - seating for maybe 200 people. I was on the highest bench. A few of us were standing so that we could see the court next door, on which some players were practicing. And the practice was often more interesting than the Tomic match.

At one point, an overzealous usher told us that we must sit down - out of respect for the players. We weren’t moving around or disturbing anyone - we were simply standing still, as we could see both courts that way. I told the usher that we weren’t disturbing anyone - no player had complained about us, etc. But the usher didn’t like it, saying “It’s disrespectful to the players playing this match that you’re watching players on another court.” (This discussion was during a changeover, of course.)
I shot back “Disrespectful? Are you serious? You see that guy (I pointed at Tomic)? He’s never tried his best in any match. THAT’S far more disrespectful than us standing so we can see more interesting tennis than is happening in this match. I’ll tell you what - I’ll sit down when he starts making an honest effort on the court.” That was the end of the discussion.

by mmmm8
dmforever wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:28 am I hear what you all are saying, but there is also something to be said for seeing a final match. And you usually get a doubles and singles final, so there's that. If you really like a player or the players in the final, it's super exciting to be there live (though not at the US Open in the 200's--that is totally pointless, IMHO). But of course, going the first week is also fun. You can see a ton of matches and players, and there is a general buzz that is lacking the finals weekend, as y'all have said.

And yes, Leyton should be here. I wonder how his suit to trademark "C'mon" ended? That in and of itself it qualifies him.

Kevin

200s? Big spender! :D It always ends up being the nosebleeds (400s) or courtside for me in Ashe (I've never paid for courtside, just got lucky with friends/rain a few times).

by dmforever
mmmm8 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:29 pm
dmforever wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:28 am I hear what you all are saying, but there is also something to be said for seeing a final match. And you usually get a doubles and singles final, so there's that. If you really like a player or the players in the final, it's super exciting to be there live (though not at the US Open in the 200's--that is totally pointless, IMHO). But of course, going the first week is also fun. You can see a ton of matches and players, and there is a general buzz that is lacking the finals weekend, as y'all have said.

Kevin

200s? Big spender! :D It always ends up being the nosebleeds (400s) or courtside for me in Ashe (I've never paid for courtside, just got lucky with friends/rain a few times).
Oh, I guess i meant the 400's. I didn't remember the numbering system and thought it was like arena concerts. :) There are three tiers, and I meant the 3rd one. I've sat in the next to the last row at Wimbledon and it was still great. Ditto at the French. But it's totally pointless (pun intended) to watch tennis from the 400's at the US Open.

Kevin

by ti-amie Seeing Dan Evans winning a tournament reminded me he's the player I come very close to loathing.

by Liamvalid
ti-amie wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:25 pm Seeing Dan Evans winning a tournament reminded me he's the player I come very close to loathing.
I’m glad I’m not on my own there

by JazzNU
dmforever wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:11 pm
Oh, I guess i meant the 400's. I didn't remember the numbering system and thought it was like arena concerts. :) There are three tiers, and I meant the 3rd one. I've sat in the next to the last row at Wimbledon and it was still great. Ditto at the French. But it's totally pointless (pun intended) to watch tennis from the 400's at the US Open.

Kevin
I've sat in the nosebleeds on Ashe and I'm happy every time. Happier when I'm in the first several rows of that section, but still. Like most large stadiums, I think it's about what you've become accustomed to. But as far as I'm concerned, I could see, hear and count Novak's 18 ball bounces before he served as well as anyone sitting in the lower sections.

If that's the section that fits your budget, I still say go and enjoy, it's a great experience for a tennis fan. Watch what you can on Ashe, and then go on the grounds and see other matches closer up.

by Suliso Silly question: how easy is it to actually acquire a mid level (2nd tier) seats at Ashe for 4R or QF stage provided you can afford it? In Wimbledon you have to win a lottery for such a privilege...

I've attended USO 2x, but both times I had a grounds pass + one stadium upper seats (used for maybe 1 h max).

by dmforever
JazzNU wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:50 am
dmforever wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:11 pm

Kevin
I've sat in the nosebleeds on Ashe and I'm happy every time. Happier when I'm in the first several rows of that section, but still. Like most large stadiums, I think it's about what you've become accustomed to. But as far as I'm concerned, I could see, hear and count Novak's 18 ball bounces before he served as well as anyone sitting in the lower sections.

If that's the section that fits your budget, I still say go and enjoy, it's a great experience for a tennis fan. Watch what you can on Ashe, and then go on the grounds and see other matches closer up.
I guess we are going to disagree on this one. I would rather not go than sit in the 400's. I felt like I was so far away that it was pointless even watching. And all around me people were doing other things (reading, texting, chatting) for that very reason. I'm glad you enjoyed your experience though. :)

Kevin

by JazzNU
Suliso wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:09 pm Silly question: how easy is it to actually acquire a mid level (2nd tier) seats at Ashe for 4R or QF stage provided you can afford it? In Wimbledon you have to win a lottery for such a privilege...

I've attended USO 2x, but both times I had a grounds pass + one stadium upper seats (used for maybe 1 h max).
Not really an issue. Not sure how ticketing is done in Europe, but there is a big aftermarket for tickets here, it's a profitable free-for-all. What you may not be able to buy directly from the US Open, you can get from a ticket broker later on at a competitive or marked up price depending on demand. Hard to remember exactly, but pretty sure I haven't bought US Open tickets directly from the US Open or through their distributor Ticketmaster in well over a decade.

In terms of 4th Round or QF. I think the price wouldn't be terrible for 4th Round, but for QF? The earlier you buy them the better. If it gets to 2 days before and you can guess for instance, that Federer will be playing in a good match, not some drubbing, in the night session? Game over on price.

by mmmm8 It often depends on the match-up and day vs night sessions as well. In recent years, they were basically giving day tickets away for the quarters (I've gotten 2-for-1 before), and specifically for those mid-level seats. But if you have a high-level night match-up for the quarters, even the nosebleeds are very expensive on the aftermarket.

by ponchi101 I really loathe Berrettini.
1. The man is too handsome. Yes, I said it. He is too handsome. I can't like such a man. It is not envy, it is that I despise such a man. I know that if we were both in a boat, and it sank, and any woman would come to our rescue but could only save one, I would be fish meal. Even if it were my girlfriend.
2. He dropped Ajla. What kind of man drops Ajla Tomljanovic? Mr Maggoo, maybe. Daredevil's radar would burn out. But no, Matteo dropped her. Can't respect that.
3. He seems friendly. Which makes it even worse. If he were a jerk, fine. You can hate him for being a jerk. But he seems like a fine person, so you can hate him because he does not give you a clean reason to hate him. So, hate him. I do.
4. And he just got me out of a SP. All by himself. Going down cheaply, folding like a cheap plastic chair.

I hate Matteo Berrettini. I hope he never wins a slam.
And gets athlete's foot.

by ti-amie Wow your jinx worked!

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:52 pm I really loathe Berrettini.
1. The man is too handsome. Yes, I said it. He is too handsome. I can't like such a man. It is not envy, it is that I despise such a man. I know that if we were both in a boat, and it sank, and any woman would come to our rescue but could only save one, I would be fish meal. Even if it were my girlfriend.
2. He dropped Ajla. What kind of man drops Ajla Tomljanovic? Mr Maggoo, maybe. Daredevil's radar would burn out. But no, Matteo dropped her. Can't respect that.
3. He seems friendly. Which makes it even worse. If he were a jerk, fine. You can hate him for being a jerk. But he seems like a fine person, so you can hate him because he does not give you a clean reason to hate him. So, hate him. I do.
4. And he just got me out of a SP. All by himself. Going down cheaply, folding like a cheap plastic chair.

I hate Matteo Berrettini. I hope he never wins a slam.
And gets athlete's foot.
He and Ajla lost in the same session. Maybe it will bring them back together.

by Owendonovan Karatantcheva always bugged me.