'23 AO Day 1 OoP & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
Deuce Canada

Re: '23 AO Day 1 OoP & Discussion

Post by Deuce »

Friends and fellow Canadians Auger-Aliassime and Pospisil have split the first two sets - 6-1 Pospisil, then 7-6 Felix.
Pospisil has been the better player - but he is sweating buckets. He has a history of cramping, as well as various other injuries. He's drinking fluids between points, but he looks drained.
Felix should win this in 4.

Swiatek got a very late break of serve and took the 1st set 6-4 over Niemeier.
But Niemeier is up a break (4-2) in the 2nd, and Swiatek struggled to hold serve in another service game.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

A better player will eat Iga's serve alive as is, so she will need to improve it drastically if she wants to get through this drzw.
Fastbackss United States of America

Post by Fastbackss »

JazzNU wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:57 am Image
"I will crush you"
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Fastbackss wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:34 am
JazzNU wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:57 am Image
"I will crush you"
... she said to a cookie.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Vasek actually somehow played really well in the 3rd set vs. Felix. That was quite surprising, given his physical state at the end of the 2nd. Full credit to him.
Of course, after he lost that 3rd set, there was no way he was going to win the 4th - but he hung in there and made the 4th set score respectable.
It was a nice match between friends.

Unfortunately their fellow Canadian Rebecca Marino, who is up to about #65 in the rankings now - didn't play well in her match, losing rather convincingly in straight sets to Zhu Lin.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

I forgot to mention Rinky!
Australian Rinky Hijikata came back from 2 sets to love down to win his first round match over Yannick Hanfmann.
I didn't see the match, but I saw the replay of the last point. It was obvious that the Aussie crowd was instrumental in him getting the win. He was quite happy - as he should be.
I met Rinky a few years ago when he was a Junior, and he was a really nice kid - very polite and humble. I'm happy for him.
As his reward for getting past the first round, he plays Tsitsipas next. But hey - he took a set off of Nadal at the U.S. Open last year, so anything's possible...
R.I.P. Amal...