2023 AOSP Women's Picks and Results Thread

Can you beat the draw? Just one measly pick a day...

Moderator: Contest Staff

JTContinental United States of America

Re: 2023 AOSP Women's Picks and Results Thread

Post by JTContinental »

Y'all are making this easy for me--after yesterday's multi-round carnage and 3 no picks, we are at a measly 51 players left on Day 4. Andreescu will move on to the TAT recordbooks, and we will move on to the breakdown:

Linda Fruhvirtova 13
Ekaterina Alexandrova 10
Irina-Camila Begu 9
Belinda Bencic 5
Camila Giorgi 4
Elise Mertens 4
Karolina Pliskova 3
Veronika Kudermetova 2
Varvara Gracheva 1
ptmcmahon Canada

Post by ptmcmahon »

I'm getting too far out of the loop of tennis... the biggest bandwagon is a player I've never heard of :)
:steven:

Post by JTContinental »

ptmcmahon wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:33 am I'm getting too far out of the loop of tennis... the biggest bandwagon is a player I've never heard of :)
I'm in the loop of women's tennis and know of Fruhvirtova's hype, but have yet to see her play. I can't imagine that more than 20% of the remaining pool members have either, so I'm assuming most are picking on reputation.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

I have a very high opinion of Alexandrova..have already called her out as a potential champion..and I love Taylor's style, so enjoying this match...
Last edited by ashkor87 on Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by JTContinental »

Welcome to the Round 1 edition of TMQ's world-renowned ighthearted roast of your losing choices, STANK or DANK! Our first 64 women have said goodbye, several of them taking you with them. Let's see who, how many, and how much STANK you put on your pick !

Kaia Kanepi (25 victims) STANK In round 1, most of you chose to say goodbye-a with Kaia! Kanepi is at the tail end of a career that has been filled with random wins and losses in grand slams. She also seems to only play well as the underdog--maybe she feels the nerves of being expected to win?

Beatriz Haddad Maia (4 victims) A light DANK for this tournament, but Haddad Maia's form from last year is unsustainable in comparison to her talent level. TMQ will grade more harshly in future 2023 grand slams.

Amanda Anisimova (3 victims) DANK Anisimova has done well here in the past and should have gotten by this round pretty easily, but she instead seems to be cruising into head case territory.

Polina Kudermetova (2 victims) STANK TMQ can only assume you didn't know there were two of them. If you did, pretend you didn't.

Tatjana Maria (2 victims) STANK Maria has only won two matches here over the previous two decades, the most recent being in 2016.

Rebecca Marino (2 victims) STANK This was never going to happen--Marino only wins matches here once every 10 years. Also, Zhu is a way better player than she is.

Coco Vandeweghe (2 victims)STANK At the US Open, I dubbed Vandeweghe as the old, tepid, skin-on-the-top Coco, and while she has improved, she's still a bit crusty.

Sorana Cirstea (1 victim)DANK Probably a 50-50 toss up for the winner here, so TMQ won't ding you too badly, especially since Cirstea has the pedigree over Yulia "Rumplestiltskin" Putintseva.

Leolia Jeanjean (1 victim) STANK Umm...no. The STANKiest pick of round 1, Jeanjean was at least a lucky loser, while you are just an unlucky one.

Alison Riske-Armitraj (1 victim) STANK How do you tell your coach that you need to fire him when you are also married to him?

Post by JTContinental »

JTContinental wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:25 am Welcome to the Round 1 edition of TMQ's world-renowned ighthearted roast of your losing choices, STANK or DANK! Our first 64 women have said goodbye, several of them taking you with them. Let's see who, how many, and how much STANK you put on your pick !

Alison Riske-Armitraj (1 victim) STANK How do you tell your coach that you need to fire him when you are also married to him?
Looking on Wikpedia she maybe already did! I don't see him listed as part of her coaching staff or maybe he's unofficial? I've seen him come out at scream at her on court during changeovers at least once.
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

JTContinental wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:55 am
ptmcmahon wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:33 am I'm getting too far out of the loop of tennis... the biggest bandwagon is a player I've never heard of :)
I'm in the loop of women's tennis and know of Fruhvirtova's hype, but have yet to see her play. I can't imagine that more than 20% of the remaining pool members have either, so I'm assuming most are picking on reputation.
I've watched a few of her matches in 2021 and 2022 and that's why I avoided picking her. She was coming along, but not there yet when I last saw her. I haven't watched her yet in 2023, she may be starting to look more the part. I've been much more impressed with Noskova as the more ready now player (despite her losing in Qualifying).

Post by JazzNU »

JTContinental wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:25 am
Kaia Kanepi (25 victims) STANK In round 1, most of you chose to say goodbye-a with Kaia! Kanepi is at the tail end of a career that has been filled with random wins and losses in grand slams. She also seems to only play well as the underdog--maybe she feels the nerves of being expected to win?
Also played an Aussie who was once one of their more promising juniors before injury and the pandemic seemed to slow her down greatly. She took out a major Vekic bandwagon a few years ago. People were majorly pissed at Donna. If she's on your do not pick list, it might be because of the player Kaia just lost to (Kim Birrell).
CyborgShoes Marshall Islands

Post by CyborgShoes »

And today’s bandwagon (which I’m on) is playing Ms Birrell as well. Eeeee! Fingers crossed.
Last edited by CyborgShoes on Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
jazzyg United States of America

Post by jazzyg »

As I recall, Birrell won 1 or 2 games in her next match. Still pissed at Vekic, who was on the verge of tears for the last 30 minutes of that match.

But no one is on my no-pick list. It would keep me from winning. ... checks history ... which I've never done with the WTA.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

JazzNU wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:53 am
JTContinental wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:55 am
I've watched a few of her matches in 2021 and 2022 and that's why I avoided picking her. She was coming along, but not there yet when I last saw her. I haven't watched her yet in 2023, she may be starting to look more the part. I've been much more impressed with Noskova as the more ready now player (despite her losing in Qualifying).
have seen her at Chennai - she hits hard on every flank but has no subtlety or variety.. totally predictable, which she needs to grow out of, if she is to progress at the senior level..
nelslus United States of America

Post by nelslus »

BTW- I feel SUPER!!!!!!!!!! confident with many of us picking Ostapenko today- with her horrendous singles record this year, AND her even already losing in doubles at the Aussie- the one discipline where she appears to still have confidence. Hopefully- at least for today (and/or if I wisely decide to change my pick)- Baindl will NOT turn out to be a fine girl. :gorgeous:

Nelslus Revised TAT Signature Currently Under Repair. :gorgeous:

Post by JazzNU »

nelslus wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:28 pm BTW- I feel SUPER!!!!!!!!!! confident with many of us picking Ostapenko today- with her horrendous singles record this year, AND her even already losing in doubles at the Aussie- the one discipline where she appears to still have confidence. Hopefully- at least for today (and/or if I wisely decide to change my pick)- Baindl will NOT turn out to be a fine girl. :gorgeous:
Baindl aka Kozlova. I have a new deep dislike for changing your name and leaving no record of your former last name so people know who the heck you are and it's solely based on Tennis Fantasy in some form or another.

Post by JTContinental »

We are down to 39 players for Day 5, and the bandwagon most of us have chosen to climb on is 0-3 lifetime against her opponent, the most recent being Ostapenko's disastrous title defense attempt at the French Open.

The breakdown

Jelena Ostapenko 16
Maria Sakkari 10
Barbora Krejcikova 8
Coco Gauff 3
Jessica Pegula 2
nelslus United States of America

Post by nelslus »

JTContinental wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:19 amWe are down to 39 players for Day 5, and the bandwagon most of us have chosen to climb on is 0-3 lifetime against her opponent, the most recent being Ostapenko's disastrous title defense attempt at the French Open.
LOL, for once, I didn't look up the Head to Head record. Yup- we are doomed! :yahoo:
Nelslus Revised TAT Signature Currently Under Repair. :gorgeous: