D. Collins/H. Watson vs M. Kostyuk/E. Ruse
Men's Doubles • Round 1
D. Altmaier/J. Varillas vs J. Cabal 12/R. Farah 12

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ponchi101 Nelslus big mouth... :evil:

by nelslus
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:56 am Nelslus big mouth... :evil:
Pfffftttt. We live to see another Pool day. :gorgeous: (Feel terrible about Taylor losing, however.)

by JazzNU Foki and Tommy Paul are starting a 5th set for anyone looking for something to watch right now.

by Owendonovan Taylor played a little too far back in my opinion.

by JazzNU Tommy Paul looks unrecognizable with a beard. He should never shave it.

by Deuce My pick on the women's side - Kontaveit (who sounds like she's sneezing on every shot :lol:) - won the 1st set rather routinely over Magda Linette. Her play was solid, and she looked to be in control of the match.
But then, incomprehensibly, she was spaying the ball all over the court in the 2nd set, which she lost 3-6.
It's early in the 3rd now, and Kontaveit is looking better. Long way to go still, though...

Meanwhile, J.J. Wolf just took out Schwartzman in straight sets...

by JTContinental
JazzNU wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:40 am Tommy Paul looks unrecognizable with a beard. He should never shave it.
JJ Wolf should shave his immediately

by nelslus
JTContinental wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:09 amJJ Wolf should shave his immediately
But (pun intended), JJ can keep the short-shorts. :gorgeous:

by ponchi101 Ruud in a lot of trouble. But he is begging for it.
He keeps going and going and going to Brooksby's BH, which is the strong shot. It is actually better than his. So, a big surprise, until you see the match.

by nelslus
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:32 am Ruud in a lot of trouble. But he is begging for it.
He keeps going and going and going to Brooksby's BH, which is the strong shot. It is actually better than his. So, a big surprise, until you see the match.
Ruud's also lost his mojo so far this year. Not at all surprised by this.

by Deuce Well, Kontaveit lost to Linette. Anett played a good first game of the 3rd set, but then disappeared again, and was quickly down 1-5. She found her game again at that point, and shot through the next 3 games rapidly, getting to 4-5. But, as they say, it was too little, too late - Linette closed it out, 6-4.

Brooksby serving for the match up 5-3 in the 3rd now. Ruud is very frustrated.

by JTContinental Brooksby was broken, so they are back on serve.

Ben Shelton through in straight sets. The American men having a good tournament so far.

by nelslus
nelslus wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:34 amRuud's also lost his mojo so far this year. Not at all surprised by this.
....WELL, then again... :freaking:

by nelslus
JTContinental wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:52 amThe American men having a good tournament so far.
Same for the American women.

by JTContinental
nelslus wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:20 am
JTContinental wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:52 amThe American men having a good tournament so far.
Same for the American women.
I kind of take for granted that they will always have a great tournament at this point in time

by JTContinental Brooskby visibly nervous serving it out again, but Ruud gifted him a shank on a second serve on his 5th match point

by nelslus
JTContinental wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:01 am Brooskby visibly nervous serving it out again, but Ruud gifted him a shank on a second serve on his 5th match point
I mean, if you have to blow three match points in a third set- what a great response in the fourth set. WELL done.

So glad he won. A loss here would have burned, badly.

by JTContinental Popyrin is being coached by Xavier Malisse

by nelslus
JTContinental wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:06 am Popyrin is being coached by Xavier Malisse
(Censored.) :gorgeous:

by Deuce Garcia just took the first set over Leylah in a tiebreak.
It was a pretty even set - one break each, back-to-back... Leylah started the tiebreak really well and aggressively, leading 5-2... But then Garcia became the aggressive one, and took charge with 5 straight points to win it.

On two separate occasions in the set, Garcia almost decapitated two different ball kids by being very late on her returns of Leylah's serves.

by jazzyg After not winning a point on return against Popyrin in the third set, Fritz earned (or rather was gifted) his first break point of the match in the fourth set, took it, then donated the break back immediately and faced a match point in the tiebreak before pulling it out.

Strange match. Fritz has a foot injury but it does not appear to be affecting him. He just cannot do anything with Popyrin's serve or forehand. Fritz had a break point to open the fifth set but did not take it

by Deuce Garcia 7-6, 7-5 over Leylah.

Leylah had a break point/set point at 5-4 in the 2nd set. But, as she had done the entire match on several break points, Garcia fired an ace. Then, two points later, another ace won her the game. I think the ace total for the match was 11-0.
Then she broke Leylah at love to go up 6-5 - the only break of the set... then held to win the match.

Surprisingly for a match between these two players, the stadium was 90% empty.

Garcia is showing a strong tendency to come up with her best tennis at the most important points during a match. That’s what champions do - the more pressure there is, the better they play.
That’s ultimately what separated her from Leylah tonight. Leylah played well, and she definitely had her chances - lots of break points, and up 5-2 in the tiebreak... But on those important points, Garcia came up with the goods, and Leylah didn’t.
Impressive.

Elsewhere, Popyrin beat Fritz in 5...
And 'lucky loser' Michael Mmoh just beat Zverev in 4 after losing the 1st set.

by Deuce Tough loss for Brandon Holt (Tracy Austin's son), who had a 2 sets to love lead over Bautista Agut...

by jazzyg I did not see any of it, but Jabeur did not even have a game point in the first five games of the third set to Vondrousova before losing 6-1. She also got blown out in the first set.

by atlpam Meanwhile, Murray is trying to force Kokkinakis to a 5th set.

by nelslus
atlpam wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:53 pmMeanwhile, Murray is trying to force Kokkinakis to a 5th set.
AND of course he has. Drama Queen's gotta Drama. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..... :ugeek:

by nelslus ....Albeit, I 100% support Murray respectfully complaining to the umpire, after the 4th set, about how late this match is going on (including how disrespectful all of this is to the umpire and everyone- and she did NOT appear to disagree with Murray). Rain delays and all, this is totally unfair to whoever manages to win this.

by nelslus PS: Bautista Agut is a fungus. :)

by ponchi101 As long as we have 5 setters, these matches will happen. The variation in the length of time for a match is too much.
By now, Andy has had enough break points in the fifth so say that if he loses, it was his fault.

by nelslus ....IF anyone anoints THIS match as yet another Andy-Embracing-His-Inner-Wozniacki Match of the Year candidate, I am going to pinch them. :gorgeous:

by nelslus I already plan to pinch the two ESPN-Plus fluttery (British? Hey, I'm on little sleep) commentatory, with their hyperbolic and never-shut-up commentary- "IF I have EVAH!!!! seen a better match, I cannot recall" BS (similar comments made during Andy's 1R win vs. today's 2R win). Yes, folks- history was, somehow, made, yet again. :yahoo:

At least now Andy will next face the Always Grindy Bautista Agut, so Andy can have another 8 hour love-fest.

I need Andy Murry to lose. Soon. :gorgeous:

by ponchi101
nelslus wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:16 pm ....IF anyone anoints THIS match as yet another Andy-Embracing-His-Inner-Wozniacki Match of the Year candidate, I am going to pinch them. :gorgeous:
Therefore, there will be a line of people saying EXACTLY that :P
But so far, he has played the two best matches of the tournament. So, he is in the lead.

But if these people have said that this was the best match of the year, they simply have not watched enough. Or are not old enough (like, uhm, the two people discussing this).

by nelslus
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:23 pmOr are not old enough (like, uhm, the two people discussing this).
Sophia Loren has confirmed that we are Old Enough. (She calls us "Daddy".) :gorgeous:

by jazzyg Actually, Murray has played incredibly well in both of his matches at the Australian Open--far better than any match since he got the artificial hip.

If his body holds up--and that's a major question--he will make it to the semis because his draw in the next three rounds is easier than his first two matches. RBA, who his past his prime and somehow got down two sets to Brandon Holt, is next. Then the winner of Paul-Brooksby in the 4th round. Then Wolf-Mmoh-Popyrin-Shelton in the quarters.

If Djokovic's hamstring becomes a real issue, it could get even more interesting for Murray, again making the risky assumption his body he will be fit to play at the same level in the next round.

by ponchi101 RBA is an underrated hard court player, and despite past his prime, he is not as past his prime as Andy is past his.
Of course, Andy's prime was way better, so I will go with your analysis.
About Novak's hamstring: that it just BS. You then see him running on court like a gazelle in flight.

by atlpam I wanted to punch the on-court interviewer after Andy's match. Shut up and let him go get his ice bath and some sleep already! Even after Andy responded that the fans and players needed to go home and go to sleep, he still insisted on asking another stupid question.

by jazzyg
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:14 pm RBA is an underrated hard court player, and despite past his prime, he is not as past his prime as Andy is past his.
Of course, Andy's prime was way better, so I will go with your analysis.
About Novak's hamstring: that it just BS. You then see him running on court like a gazelle in flight.
I'm the charter member of the RBA being underrated on hard courts club. He's the guy who sent Murray into "retirement" at this tournament four years ago. But his level has dropped since then. Although he is capable of beating Murray again, I do not think his level will be as high as Berrettini or Kokkinakis.

You are very likely right about Djokovic's hamstring--I have not seen either of his matches--but niggling injuries in the past have turned out to be real for him (thought not as often as the opposite), causing him multiple defeats at the U.S. Open when they became more severe.

by JazzNU
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:59 pm As long as we have 5 setters, these matches will happen. The variation in the length of time for a match is too much.
By now, Andy has had enough break points in the fifth so say that if he loses, it was his fault.
Why are you blaming 5-setters and not night sessions? Start the "late matches" earlier and this doesn't happen.

As for faulting Murray, given your pre-tournament commentary on him, the opposite of what you say is what the truth is, so Andy isn't to blame.

by JazzNU In glancing thru the the posts, I'm not seeing anything about the Garcia vs. Fernandez match, which is a shame. An incredibly high quality match that could've gone either way and definitely could've gone to 3 sets. Worthy of a much later round in the tournament. Caroline played almost every crucial point perfectly. She's really a much stronger mental player than she was 4 years ago. If you're looking for a match to watch today, that's a good candidate.

by ti-amie I think Mmoh beating Zverev is kind of a big deal. Mmoh has had a tendency to lose focus in important matches. He's using his LL very well. I'm not saying he's going to romp going forward but for a player who seemed to be stuck at a certain level he did well here.

by ponchi101
JazzNU wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:01 pm In glancing thru the the posts, I'm not seeing anything about the Garcia vs. Fernandez match, which is a shame. An incredibly high quality match that could've gone either way and definitely could've gone to 3 sets. Worthy of a much later round in the tournament. Caroline played almost every crucial point perfectly. She's really a much stronger mental player than she was 4 years ago. If you're looking for a match to watch today, that's a good candidate.
Those that saw it said so. But some of us get only one feed.

by ponchi101
JazzNU wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:48 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:59 pm As long as we have 5 setters, these matches will happen. The variation in the length of time for a match is too much.
Why are you blaming 5-setters and not night sessions? Start the "late matches" earlier and this doesn't happen.

As for faulting Murray, given your pre-tournament commentary on him, the opposite of what you say is what the truth is, so Andy isn't to blame.
I am not blaming anything. I am saying that, because best of 5 have such a great length difference, every once in a while you will get such a late start. Get two matches that last 4 hours, plus a 3 setter in between, and even if you start at 11:00 you first night match will start at 9:00 pm. Have another 3 setter and you get your 11:00 PM start, and this happens. So, unless you decide that the night session will be just one match, these matches will happen.
And JazzNu. All I said before the tournament was that I did not see Andy beating Berretini. I mean, are we at the stage that one comment immediately becomes scorched earth? It's like, why even post?

by JazzNU
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:52 pm So, unless you decide that the night session will be just one match, these matches will happen.
That is the proposal.

My Andy comment was in jest.

by Deuce The Murray - Kokkinakis match had just about everything... Constant ebbs and flows... constant changes of momentum... constant frustration from both players... constant elation from both players... the crowd cheering for both players... old vs. young... both players quickly flying across the court during points, and walking slowly and lethargically in between... wildly unpredictable... over 5 ½ hours... finishing after 4am Melbourne time...
Even if it would have finished in straight sets, it would have been a great match. The 2 extra sets were a beautiful bonus, and made it all the more special.
It was the longest match in Murray’s long career. And he did it after a marathon match in the previous round. With a metal hip.

It was so captivating that, when I had to abandon it at the beginning of the 4th set, I set it to record for another 3 hours... I didn’t know the result until I saw the end of the match. I just finished watching it now. I never skipped ahead - I only skipped through the commercials.
Wonderful, wonderful stuff from both.

by ponchi101
JazzNU wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:47 am
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:52 pm So, unless you decide that the night session will be just one match, these matches will happen.
That is the proposal.

My Andy comment was in jest.
Then, I am glad to see that I am not the only one that is "emoji challenged".
Sorry for my reply, I understand what you said. ;)