by dave g This is where you come to mourn your own death, and commiserate with the other dead. At this time I can not guarantee a bar tender, so help yourself to liquor supplies.

I am hoping someone will supply a "Jukebox from Hell".

by ponchi101
Some old Aussies talking about suicide. The same that is going to happen here except that we are not as cool as Michael Hutchence, and we are not going to get any pretty blonde sheila, and this song says nothing about tennis, and it says nothing about what we do here, but other than that, same thing.

by the Moz
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:03 pm
Some old Aussies talking about suicide. The same that is going to happen here except that we are not as cool as Michael Hutchence, and we are not going to get any pretty blonde sheila, and this song says nothing about tennis, and it says nothing about what we do here, but other than that, same thing.
Um, Kylie ain't no pretty blonde sheila ;)

by JTContinental I survived my first match in the new digs!

by ptmcmahon Didn’t take me long to show up here. After making men’s pick last night my phone stopped working and I never wound up back here to do a women’s pick. I think this is going to be a write off contest year for me.

by dave g Table for Seven:

Kerber has really fallen off. Losing 6-0, 6-4 to Pera? I mean Kerber ought to have made it look close. sigh.

I suspect that we may have more apparently unusual results due to the great length of time covered by the current ratings. Many of the players current points would normally have fallen off by now.

by ponchi101 All I will say is:
I did not know Pera was so pretty.
But what a messy loss by Kerber.

by pudding Who is Fucsovics and why did I pick him???

by ponchi101 1. A solid guy that should not be going through that.
2. Momentary lapse of reason?

by pudding Phew.

by nelslus
pudding wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:36 amPhew.
SEE, and here is where we now get to feel like smug geniuses. We dared to scoff at the well-known TAT Law of Never Picking Against an Otherwise Useless But Local Slam Scrub WC, we instead picked a useless scrub who perhaps got named F**k-o-vicz a few times this evening- and we live to see another Suicide Pool Day- however fleetingly. (Note: This is where I'd normally post the "Gorgeous" Smilie, but, I gotta ask, just where the F**k-o-vicz is the "Gorgeous" Smilie?!?!) :cry:

by texasniteowl well...1 and done on the wta side. but I would have lost with the other match I was considering calling, so oh well!

by PeterSkan Complete the following:

Kerber is a _________________

by ponchi101
PeterSkan wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:53 pm Complete the following:

former very good player that is starting to fade away and should have won that match.
Not a bad pick, you know... You just got bit by the laws of this game.

by Liamvalid Not sure if anyone has seen Pera play, but I’ve watched her quite a lot due to having bets on her, and her being absolutely gorgeous. No way am I surprised that she beat Kerber

by ponchi101
nelslus wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:14 am ... (Note: This is where I'd normally post the "Gorgeous" Smilie, but, I gotta ask, just where the F**k-o-vicz is the "Gorgeous" Smilie?!?!) :cry:
What are you? Blind? :gorgeous:
(Uploaded ;) )

by atlpam Great first day - committed hari kari on the men's side with Nishioka and still waiting for the result of my women's pick. I think I need some sake!

by JTContinental Kerber's game relies on her speed and ability to basically get down on her knees every shot to hit those great angles, and both of those skills seems to have lost a big step in the past two years.

Confidential to nelslus: Fuscovics has a pretty gorgeous smiley of his own :D

by karlovicfanclub I made the silly mistake of assuming Millman would win his first round match in front of his hometown fans. As it was, I barely squeaked by with Cornet or else I'd be finished on both sides of the draw.

by adicecream Struff????? I was sure he was a lock.

by meganfernandez
PeterSkan wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:53 pm Complete the following:

Performing as usual for an odd-numbered year. She's an even-numbered-year champ only.

by JazzNU Double checked. Decided on one super safe pick (Hurkacz) and one semi-risky pick (Sharma). Same result in both, almost won their matches in the final set, but no win.

by JTContinental Hurkacz sounds like something the cat would throw up, which you would then clean up with a sharma.

by nelslus
nelslus wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:14 am
pudding wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:36 amPhew.
SEE, and here is where we now get to feel like smug geniuses. We dared to scoff at the well-known TAT Law of Never Picking Against an Otherwise Useless But Local Slam Scrub WC, we instead picked a useless scrub who perhaps got named F**k-o-vicz a few times this evening- and we live to see another Suicide Pool Day- however fleetingly. (Note: This is where I'd normally post the "Gorgeous" Smilie, but, I gotta ask, just where the F**k-o-vicz is the "Gorgeous" Smilie?!?!) :cry:
....AND then you tempt the Suicide Pool gods by trying to pick against another useless local Aussie scrub, only to find that....your pick did not exactly have the....wait for it, wait for it.....RIGHT STRUFF. :gorgeous: (i.e., NOT such a genius move.)

NEVERTHELESS, HEY, I live for (at least) a third day in the women's pool, after a first-day pick of Down 0-4 in the third set Cornet. (i.e., genius move.) :shock:

by nelslus
JTContinental wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:24 pmConfidential to nelslus: Fuscovics has a pretty gorgeous smiley of his own :D
....AND yet, not quite Fuscovics-worthy. 8-)

by nelslus
JazzNU wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:40 am Double checked. Decided on one super safe pick (Hurkacz) and one semi-risky pick (Sharma). Same result in both, almost won their matches in the final set, but no win.

...."I'm already drinking, dear...."

by nelslus
JTContinental wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:40 am Hurkacz sounds like something the cat would throw up, which you would then clean up with a sharma.
....Perhaps we should just Svitolina the difference.

by texasniteowl if my performance these 2 days is a harbinger of the year in suicide pools to come...I'll need a lot more alcohol.

by mmmm8 Well, at least I am finally at a bar for the first time in a year....

In order of Dan Evans' lack of purpose, here is famed tennis coach Redfoo with his/anyone's worst

by New England Nitemare Ugh....I knew I would get here, but damn on Day 2?????. All that good tennis Struff played last week at the ATP Cup, and goes out with a whimper...sheesh. I'll take a rum and coke please,,,,

by ponchi101 To be honest, I thought about him and felt he had one more round in him. Sole reason I did not pick him.
It was a good pick.

by New England Nitemare
ponchi101 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:35 pm To be honest, I thought about him and felt he had one more round in him. Sole reason I did not pick him.
It was a good pick.
Agreed, I felt good about this one!! Sometimes you feel skittish about your picks. But, hey....it happens!!!

by kknudsen
adicecream wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:45 am Struff????? I was sure he was a lock.
We got booted by a Wild Card ... a Wild Card!!! How did that happen?????

by Gff0 I've had some bad suicide pool losses in many, many years of playing (perhaps only missed the inaugural pool?). But today's Gerasimov pick is easily my worst. 0-1-0. Uffda, Egor.

by New England Nitemare Well that's it for me. Struff yesterday and Damn you Petra Kvitova today, she got me again, she knocked me out the US Open pool when she lost to Shelby Rogers. Yes, I need to put her on my "do not pick list" Good luck to rest of the folks that are still alive. I will get to do this misery all over again at the French!!! I'll take a Vodka with a twist of orange this time......arrrgghh!!!

by ponchi101 I have never been kicked out of an SP by Kvitova because I always think she will go far, and since I always lose early, I never get to pick her.

by Liamvalid Ohhhh Venus. Time to call it a day honey

by WebTickets.com LOL, went out Day 1 in WTA and Day 3 in ATP, that is what I get for making my picks at the last second as I almost forgot to even make the picks each day and just choosing the first low ranked player I saw that I liked. These are more fun when I do not forget and have some time to do some research.

And thanks to ponchi101 for the INXS video post, my all-time favorite band, just love them. Took the sting out of visiting the losers lounge when they were the first thing I saw.

by 161stAndChilla Deliciano, you’re not even that good-looking anyway...

by ponchi101 Feli once did this to me in reverse. He was down two sets at Wimby and came back to give me one more day of hope.
Well, nowadays making it three rounds in the SP is an achievement.
Been around Aussies long enough to know not to order a Forster. But I will take any regional beer.
Man, I really wanted to win this one. We have new trophies and all :cry:

by adicecream I'm a loser. Overslept by 10 minutes and too late to enter my pi ck. And she's a;ready won. Keep it up, Jessie Pegula.

by ponchi101 Well, reaching day six should be a consolation. I had no confidence in any pick and indeed, decided to roll the dice with Kontaveit. Just because I like her.
Bad day to be an Estonian. And to pick one.
Some baltic beer, that will be all. It was fun for five days. I still need to understand this game better :cry:

by Bmoney316 Did the same. Picked Kontaveit. Big fan, but it wasn’t the strategy that did well for me at the us open. Should’ve taken Barty and later Serena etc and at least made it to week 2 (maybe). Picking Kenin early and seeing them later ousted gave me more options, and I’d say more but that drunk lady in the stands is giving me the finger and telling me to hurry up and leave.

by dollymix I'm out with Kontaveit, but I didn't feel like there were any great picks yesterday. Mertens and Barty were the only ones who I felt were more than ~55% favorites and it seemed too early to pick either of them.

by ponchi101 Strategy wise, I picked Brady too early. She will make the semis.
Then again, what do I know? I should have a private booth here (and I mean the Lounge, not the forum).

by ponchi101 Don't look at court Margaret Court. Just don't look.

by dave g
ponchi101 wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:09 am Don't look at court Margaret Court. Just don't look.
LOL

by ponchi101 Oh my god, a stampede! RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN!!!!! :ax

by ponchi101 Blood. ALL OVER. Blood :ax: