'23 AO Day 7 OoP & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
nelslus United States of America

Re: '23 AO Day 7 OoP & Discussion

Post by nelslus »

I would be in Tennis Heaven if Khachanov could find a way to lose this match with a 6-0, 6-0, 2-0 lead. (Not gonna happen, but I can dream.) (Albeit Khachanov is seriously :gorgeous: )
Nelslus Revised TAT Signature Currently Under Repair. :gorgeous:
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

texasniteowl wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:44 am So is Nishioka injured or what? I haven't seen any of it but good grief, the scoreline!
No injury... It just snowballed out of control - to the point where Nishioka won only 2 points in the entire 2nd set.
It's a terrible feeling when you can't show the crowd what you're capable of doing - even in a loss.
Nishioka went off court after that, where someone may have told him to forget the score and just go out and play like it's 0-0. The result is that it's now 3-3 in the 3rd.
Needless to say, the crowd is behind Nishioka.

The one-sidedness seems to have been transferred over to the Korda - Hurkacz match now, with Korda leading 4-0 in the 3rd (1 set all).
Last edited by Deuce on Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Post by nelslus »

Random but True comment: We'd been watching, on-and-off, the Rinderknech/Bonzi win vs. Behar/Barrientos. It was a solid and mostly excellent match throughout- until the last few games of the 3rd set (before the blow-out 3rd set tiebreaker), when it became an outstanding match, with all playing superbly. After one unbelievable point, they got a well-deserved standing ovation. So much fun.

And, we do have ESPN Plus (I believe it's still locked in to a lower price, as we've had this for some time) and Tennis Channel Plus. I do very much resent all of this, especially for those who cannot afford all of these extra costs. But, John and I are tennis whores, after all.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

JazzNU wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:56 am Serious question because I just have never seen any information on it.

What happened with Khachanov? Was looking like he'd be a perennial top 15 player in 2018 when he really showed he could go toe to toe with top players. Then just fell off, started coming back into form a bit in 2021 and then considerably more so in 2022. Now looking all the way back. He became the also ran Russian player, falling behind even Karatsev in relevance for a bit (who I've always been suspicious about).

He's not old. He's been playing, so not injured. Unless he was maybe playing though an injury? It's just strange how much he was in the conversation for a bit and then was decidedly not, and is now looking like the player that had everyone thinking he'd be a contender back in 2018. Like Kasatkina certainly went through something like that, but that's been explained. But I haven't heard anything about Karen maybe struggling with being on tour or confidence. Anyone heard anything?
I have no explanation and have not heard about any issues. But I am always suspect of players with such extreme grips. One tiny change in timing, one small change in the impact point and you game can change by a lot. So, did he lose some accuracy on his forehand? I can't tell, but maybe the numbers could tell.
But, as you say. He did not fulfill that early expectation. Then again, he is still in the conversation and is not too old.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem

Post by nelslus »

ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:07 am
JazzNU wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:56 am Serious question because I just have never seen any information on it.

What happened with Khachanov? Was looking like he'd be a perennial top 15 player in 2018 when he really showed he could go toe to toe with top players. Then just fell off, started coming back into form a bit in 2021 and then considerably more so in 2022. Now looking all the way back. He became the also ran Russian player, falling behind even Karatsev in relevance for a bit (who I've always been suspicious about).

He's not old. He's been playing, so not injured. Unless he was maybe playing though an injury? It's just strange how much he was in the conversation for a bit and then was decidedly not, and is now looking like the player that had everyone thinking he'd be a contender back in 2018. Like Kasatkina certainly went through something like that, but that's been explained. But I haven't heard anything about Karen maybe struggling with being on tour or confidence. Anyone heard anything?
I have no explanation and have not heard about any issues. But I am always suspect of players with such extreme grips. One tiny change in timing, one small change in the impact point and you game can change by a lot. So, did he lose some accuracy on his forehand? I can't tell, but maybe the numbers could tell.
But, as you say. He did not fulfill that early expectation. Then again, he is still in the conversation and is not too old.
AND, he's got an Olympics silver medal, which is nothing to be sneezed at. It's weird. He is drop-dead gorgeous, and I have nothing inherently against his game- I guess. But, I've never found him even remotely interesting enough to be curious about him regardless of where he is in his career. He's just a blah to me.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Nishioka is trying to become the first player in the open era to win the 3rd set after losing the first two sets 6-0, 6-0.
That's surprising.
Entering the 3rd set tiebreak now... for a chance to make history...
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

No history made - Khachanov won the tiebreak - and the match...
But Nishioka showed a lot of guts by coming back after barely winning a point in the first two sets to take the third to a tiebreak.
It would have bean easy for Nishioka to just go through the motions in the third - it wasn't just that he was down 2 sets to love, but it was absolute dominance - Khachanov was playing great, and Nishioka couldn't make a shot - the mountain to climb was huge. But he dug in and came back to play really well in the third, earning everyone's respect in the process.
R.I.P. Amal...

JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

nelslus wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:07 am
And, we do have ESPN Plus (I believe it's still locked in to a lower price, as we've had this for some time) and Tennis Channel Plus. I do very much resent all of this, especially for those who cannot afford all of these extra costs. But, John and I are tennis whores, after all.
Though it sounds like it doesn't matter, hopefully that's the case, there is no grandfathered in lower price for ESPN+ standalone unfortunately. If you pay yearly, then that's locked in until the next renewal date, but that's it. The Hulu/Disney/ESPN bundle is the only way to keep the price of ESPN+ technically lower.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

i am watching on SonyLiv - shows every court! take your pick!

Post by nelslus »

JazzNU wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:05 am
nelslus wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:07 am
Though it sounds like it doesn't matter, hopefully that's the case, there is no grandfathered in lower price for ESPN+ standalone unfortunately. If you pay yearly, then that's locked in until the next renewal date, but that's it. The Hulu/Disney/ESPN bundle is the only way to keep the price of ESPN+ technically lower.
AH, you are right. Just looked it up in my AmExp payments account- and it did go up in price. I must have been thinking of another service that I do believe has been Grandfather'd in payment-wise.

FINE, I AM a full-price ESPN-Plus whore customer. :o
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

Am I the only one yelling at the screen for Radek to sit his ugly ass down?

Post by nelslus »

JazzNU wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:53 am Am I the only one yelling at the screen for Radek to sit his ugly ass down?
We should have warned you. Avert your eyes immediately, or douse your eyes in holy water. :gorgeous:

Post by nelslus »

AND, Korda managed somehow to, barely, crawl his way to that win. Sometimes, you just gotta win ugly. (*Not necessarily another Radek reference.)

Post by nelslus »

LOL, and OMG, how tennis fortunes can change on a dime!! On Thursday, I posted about how Bethanie and Leylah were up 7-6, 4-0, with multiple opportunities to get to 5-0, but Haddad Maia and Zhang managed to win it in three. Very next match- third set, I believe that Haddad Maia and Zhang were up 5-1 in the third. Chances to win numerous games, including in the third set tiebreaker, where they had match points- and this time, Vondroušová (who could barely walk after yesterday's singles loss) and Kolodziejová (I agree- who?!?!) manage to win this damned thing, 3-6, 7-6 (11-9), 7-6 (14-12.) :freaking:
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Lehecka just took Felix out in 4 - including the last two in tiebreaks.
R.I.P. Amal...