'23 AO Day 7 OoP & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
nelslus United States of America

Re: '23 AO Day 7 OoP & Discussion

Post by nelslus »

AND now Lehecka takes out He-Had-It-Coming Felix in 4. Well done. The Youth Brigade is Coming for You All. (Until Novax and other Elders extinguish their flames.)
Nelslus Revised TAT Signature Currently Under Repair. :gorgeous:
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

FAA should really be doing better than this at this stage of his career. First time I watched Lehecka play...
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

Suliso wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:02 am FAA should really be doing better than this at this stage of his career. First time I watched Lehecka play...
Watching Felix today it seems that his game has become all about serving. Once the return was in play he couldn't construct a point, and Lehecka was aggressive, had better court positioning, and finished well at the net.
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

Interesting that Sinner has progressed enough that Nike is not making him wear the typical kit that the average Nike player is wearing at this tournament
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

I doubt that's how those decisions are made.
You'd think they'd want any player who's doing well to advertize their 'latest stuff'.
It likely has to do with marketing different things to different parts of the world.
And/or wanting certain players to market certain products.
And/or some players simply refusing to wear certain things (intelligent players would have such a clause in their contract).
Korda (who wasn't even in the top 30 heading into the Aussie Open) is another 'Nike' player in Melbourne who has been wearing basic, one colour shirts and shorts like Sinner...
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

If Stefanos manages to not reach the final from this position then his future is dim indeed
patrick United States of America

Post by patrick »

The Netflix Curse has been completed as Lehecka won earlier today. Knew Auger-Aliassime would struggle as he did well in indoors to end 2022.
texasniteowl

Post by texasniteowl »

Suliso wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:46 am If Stefanos manages to not reach the final from this position then his future is dim indeed
And you were saying? I can't see it because I'm not paying for yet another subscription to something right now and I haven't looked into alternatives, but...Tsitsipas lost the 3rd and is down a break in the 4th.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Suliso wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:46 am If Stefanos manages to not reach the final from this position then his future is dim indeed
I don't think that's a fair thing to say. (It's not mean - just not fair - and I don't particularly like Tsitsipas.)
I admittedly did not see the first two sets of this match - but the scores seem close enough to indicate it was not dominance from Tsitsipas.

A) He is facing a quality opponent...
B) Many players have come back to win from two sets to love down (including an 'old' guy with an artificial hip just a few nights ago)...
C) Momentum is an unpredictable and very powerful element. It can switch from one player to another very, very quickly. And back again. And back again. And back again (that's the main reason Murray - Kokkinakis was such a great match - because the momentum kept switching from one player to the other so often, right to the last point)...

Right now, the momentum is with Sinner (4-2 in the3rd4th). But it could switch back to Tsitsipas at any moment.
Or it could remain with Sinner through to his victory.
Anything can happen in any match - particularly in matches between two players of a similar quality.
Last edited by Deuce on Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Yes, you're right now. I was writing it at 2-0... Anyway I was also referring to the relatively weak competition left on his side of the draw. Emphasis on relatively!
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Suliso wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:49 am Yes, you're right now. I was writing it at 2-0... Anyway I was also referring to the relatively weak competition left on his side of the draw. Emphasis on relatively!
When I saw that it was 2 sets to love, I was thinking the same thing as what I wrote.
When both players are similarly talented, a comeback from 2 sets to love is not uncommon, as the momentum can shift unpredictably, often, and strongly.
R.I.P. Amal...

Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Zhu finally grabbed the 1st set over Azarenka. She had several opportunities to take control of it, but faltered each time, thus ending up in a 6-4 score, which is closer than it should have been.
Azarenka up 3-0 in the 2nd now...

I'd like to see Zhu win, because she was genuinely very appreciative of being in the position she is in - crying after her last match as she thanked her 'team' for sticking with her and pushing her to be a better player.

The TV broadcasts come up with a lot of stupid and silly statistics (which are designed to make them look 'smart' or 'innovative') - but there is none more stupid and thoroughly useless than the 'win predictor'.
It's lunacy. This isn't 'artificial intelligence', it's artificial LACK of intelligence. You could get a 6 year old child to do the same (for a lot cheaper, I'm sure).
And they do it several times per match - at the beginning, and after each set.
Complete stupidity.
R.I.P. Amal...

Fastbackss United States of America

Post by Fastbackss »

JazzNU wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:46 am
Fastbackss wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:28 am The NFL game is no longer worth following.
Lies. I can't remember what team it is you're a fan of, but you live in Michigan so I'll go with that. Are you telling me you'd say that if the Lions were up 28-0? Or if Michigan was up 28-0 on Ohio State? But also, that's what we all thought about the Jags and Chargers at the half too. Not thinking we're getitng a repeat, but given the comebacks of the Jags and the Dolphins last week, a big lead is not what it used to be.
LOL

I do live in Michigan, but my allegiance is to the Giants.

Yes, it's particularly painful losing to the Eagles and their maniacal fans.

With that preface, the game just wasn't even close. It was unwatchable. I would have kept watching if the G-men were down 2 or 3 scores if they had any life in them at all.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

Azarenka won the 2nd set 6-1. But, as the announcers said, it was closer than the score indicates, as almost every game went to deuce.

We'll see if the momentum switches back to Zhu at some point. She won her last service game at love to make it 1-5, which was her essentially sending a message to Azarenka that she will be going for it in the 3rd set.

At one point during one of Zhu's service games, Laura Robson (who is commentating) said that if Zhu were in the top 50, she'd have the second slowest 2nd serve of all the players in the top 50...
Then she said she was going to go through the rankings to see if she can guess who has the slowest 2nd serve of the players in the top 50. I immediately thought to myself "No need to look - it's Kasatkina".

A minute or so later, Robson returned, saying 'Well, my guess was Trevisan, but that's wrong - it's Kasatkina."
I had no doubt it was Kasatkina. I have seen Kasatkina serve very well on the practice courts. There, she serves 1st and 2nd serves at normal speed (and they land in the service box). But in a match, she gets nervous and her muscles and joints tense up. It's strictly a lack of confidence, as the difference between her practice court serves and her match serves is huge.
R.I.P. Amal...

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Suliso wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:02 am FAA should really be doing better than this at this stage of his career. First time I watched Lehecka play...
Him, Sinner and Rublev remind me of Delpo. Fantastic strikers of the ball, able to rip them with pace and speed, and hitting them always the same. And at this level, it won't work. Delpo had that problem with Novak. He was ripping the ball, but since it was always the same ball, Novak quickly adjusted.
Sinner, FAA and Rublev hit the same perfect forehand all the time. And it lands straight into the opponents' strike zone. They need to add some variety.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem