UPDATED 2023 AOSP Women's Picks & Results Thread

Can you beat the draw? Just one measly pick a day...

Moderator: Contest Staff

jazzyg United States of America

Re: UPDATED 2023 AOSP Women's Picks & Results Thread

Post by jazzyg »

Clearly, I will never win a women's survivor pool.

Garcia's loss to Linette ranks as the most disappointing, totally unexpected result I've ever experienced in any one of these ever. Linette deserved to win and played a smart match, but my god was Garcia awful.
gernblandston United States of America

Post by gernblandston »

Just happy to still be here. The last several days have been VERY STRESSFUL.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Wait until they post the picks for the semis (assuming you are still alive).
Some medication can come handy ;)
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

Now for our Round 3 edition of STANK or DANK! The problem is that none of these picks were particularly STANK, which doesn't leave TMQ with a lot of comic material to work with.

Maria Sakkari (10 victims) DANK Even though Sakkari's current form is STANK and I don't think she'll end the year in the top 10, she should have the skills to take out Lin Zhu, a relative unknown who managed to drag people down to the grave with her in every round for a total of 21 souls.

Marketa Vondrousova (5 victims) DANK You were run over by the Fruhvirtova Express, which was thankfully (for the other players, not you) derailed today.

Ekaterina Alexandrova (3 victims) DANK TMQ watched part of this match, and the faces Alexandrova made throughout it were definitive STANK faces. At least one player was smart enough to actually pick Linette, but then like the brilliant Schmiedlova picker earlier in the competition, went on to make a boneheaded one in the next round to bow out unceremoniously.

And now a bonus...The Round 4 edition!

Coco Gauff (6 victims) STANK lite here, mostly for unnecessary risk, since the two played a competitive final a few years ago. I figure most of you were setting up for her to be slaughtered in the next round by Swiatek, but that turned out not to work out for any of th e parties involved except ponchi.

Caroline Garcia (2 victims) DANK Garcia took a such a big leap forward at the end of 2022 that TMQ suspected that form would be sustainable for her, but I would have figured her up through this R16 match. Unfortunately, Magda Linette seems to want everyone to forget about that other Polish woman for awhile.

Shuai Zhang (1 victim) DANK This was TMQ's pick and therefore unassailable, despite being forced to make a risky choice today because of yesterday's debacles. However, since I'm always correct, clearly Zhang was the one who was wrong for losing the match.

Post by gernblandston »

I just want to shout out to Swiatek. I know the WTA can be a crap shoot but I would like to have thought that oh I don't know KEEPING THE DOMINANT NUMBER ONE SEED IN MY POCKET was a smart bet. Now I can't get farther than the semi's. It was all lining up so nicely. At least now there's nothing to think about. I have exactly 3 picks left to make, if I can, and then I'm done. Good luck to everyone!
joanjettson Brazil

Post by joanjettson »

JTContinental wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:51 am Ekaterina Alexandrova (3 victims) DANK TMQ watched part of this match, and the faces Alexandrova made throughout it were definitive STANK faces. At least one player was smart enough to actually pick Linette, but then like the brilliant Schmiedlova picker earlier in the competition, went on to make a boneheaded one in the next round to bow out unceremoniously.
For the SP record, this pick was 100% inspired by faithfully reading the brilliant TMQ report, which has always been adamant about Trevisan and saw me confidently through with Schmiedlova, only to get Bibi gunned the very next day when left to my own devices. I yelp TMQ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
Last edited by joanjettson on Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joanjettson Brazil

Post by joanjettson »

jazzyg wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:55 am Clearly, I will never win a women's survivor pool.

Garcia's loss to Linette ranks as the most disappointing, totally unexpected result I've ever experienced in any one of these ever. Linette deserved to win and played a smart match, but my god was Garcia awful.
Garcia is like French cinema - long, a little aimless, sometimes whimsical, but always a bit tragic in the end
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

joanjettson wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:48 pm
jazzyg wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:55 am Clearly, I will never win a women's survivor pool.

Garcia is like French cinema - long, a little aimless, sometimes whimsical, but always a bit tragic in the end
YOU ARE HIRED!!!!!
:clap: :notworthy:
(Excellent description)
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

Day 9 is a Rybakina kind of day! Depending on how the matches sort out tonight, this could be over again with Addicecream taking home the trophy.

The breakdown

Elena Rybakina 8
Jessica Pegula 2
Jelena Ostapenko 1
G2gaynor United States of America

Post by G2gaynor »

Well, it looks like no one is picking a player in the final, but down to 8!

Post by gernblandston »

DDAAMMIITTTTTT
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

G2gaynor wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:30 am Well, it looks like no one is picking a player in the final, but down to 8!
gernblandston wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:35 pm DDAAMMIITTTTTT
Indeed, no one can beat the draw anymore. We all picked Azarenka already, and by definition we all picked Rybakina yesterday. We will die meters from the shore.
And, yes, DDAAMMIITTTTT! That was a surprising score.
Mikeprice444 United States of America

Post by Mikeprice444 »

Bare with my stupidity, but if the 8 of us all pick a winner today are we done because of rybakina and azarenka being picked by everyone? So the winner(s) will be decided after todays matches? TIA
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Mikeprice444 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:05 pm Bare with my stupidity, but if the 8 of us all pick a winner today are we done because of rybakina and azarenka being picked by everyone? So the winner(s) will be decided after todays matches? TIA
Not stupid at all. We can't beat the draw, but there is a split for picks today:
Everybody can pick Sabalenka, and then, if they win, some can pick Linette if she wins.
You can pick Vekic.
There is a split between Plis/Linette, with some people already having picked Pliskova. So, some people will lose today.
But you are right in that nobody can beat the draw anymore. Pegula let us down. But we will have winners; just not today.
Mikeprice444 United States of America

Post by Mikeprice444 »

Let me be dumb one more time, won’t the “winners” be decided today? Whoever picks a winner between the two matches today would win since no one can pick tomorrow?