by JTContinental Come on through the golden gates, remaining players! Rest comfortably in the knowledge that the first day of breathing this rarified air is often too much for our constitutions, causing us to make terrible, carnage-inducing picks that decimate the field. But for now, breathe up, drink your champagne, and definitely don't think about how Azarenka's opponent has sucessfully eliminated people from the pool in every round of the tournament so far. Enjoy and bon voyage!

Our remaining 20 players are:

by JTContinental Adicecream : Teichmann>>Vekic>>Rybakina>>L. Fruhvirtova>>Krejcikova>>Zhang>>Azarenka>>Pliskova>>Ostapenko

Bankerb4 : Zheng>>Zhang>>Azarenka>>Bencic>>Pegula>>Vekic>>Gauff

Bonneau : Teichmann>>Begu>>Krejcikova>>Giorgi>>Ostapenko>>Zhang>>Azarenka>>Vekic>>Rybakina>>Pliskova

Cdavid99 : Burel>>Samsonova>>Rybakina>>L. Fruhvirtova>>Krejcikova>>Bencic>>Azarenka>>Garcia

Chaitumsc : Zheng>>Rogers>>Kostyuk>>Alexandrova>>Ostapenko>>Vekic>>Azarenka>>Pliskova>>Rybakina>>Linette>>Sabalenka

Dryrunguy : Teichmann>>Samsonova>>Rybakina>>L. Fruhvirtova>>Krejcikova>>Linette>>Gauff

Franchise : Krejcikova>>Rogers>>Kostyuk>>L. Fruhvirtova>>Ostapenko>>Zhang>>Azarenka>>Vekic>>Rybakina>>Pliskova

G2gaynor : Xy. Wang>>Rogers>>Kostyuk>>Giorgi>>Ostapenko>>Vekic>>Azarenka>>Pliskova>>Rybakina>>Sabalenka>>Linette

Gernblandston : Keys>>Rogers>>Rybakina>>Alexandrova>>Ostapenko>>Bencic>>Azarenka>>Vekic>>Pegula

Gunner : Burel>>Begu>>Kostyuk>>Bencic>>Ostapenko>>Zhang>>Azarenka>>Vekic>>Pegula

JTContinental : Burel>>Pliskova>>Kostyuk>>Alexandrova>>Ostapenko>>Vekic>>Azarenka>>Zhang

Jason11E : Muchova>>Rogers>>Kostyuk>>Mertens>>Ostapenko>>Zhang>>Azarenka>>Vekic>>Rybakina>>Pliskova

Jazzyg : Zheng>>Zhang>>Kostyuk>>Giorgi>>Gauff>>Vekic>>Azarenka>>Garcia

Michelle_fenlon : Burel>>Vekic>>Kostyuk>>L. Fruhvirtova>>Ostapenko>>Zhang>>Gauff

Mikeprice444 : Zheng>>Zhang>>Krejcikova>>Mertens>>Ostapenko>>Bencic>>Azarenka>>Pliskova>>Rybakina>>Linette>>Sabalenka

Nelslus : Krejcikova>>Vekic>>Kostyuk>>Alexandrova>>Ostapenko>>Zhang>>Gauff

Ponchi101 : Krejcikova>>Samsonova>>Azarenka>>Alexandrova>>Gauff>>Zhang>>Ostapenko>>Vekic>>Rybakina>>Pliskova

Theslayer91 : Teichmann>>Begu>>Azarenka>>Alexandrova>>Ostapenko>>Bencic>>Gauff

Tolulops : Burel>>Alexandrova>>Kostyuk>>Pliskova>>Ostapenko>>Zhang>>Gauff

Zephyrstorm03 : Pera>>Vekic>>Kostyuk>>Alexandrova>>Ostapenko>>Zhang>>Azarenka>>Pliskova>>Rybakina>>Linette>>Sabalenka

by JTContinental 1 zombie attempted to crash the gates, but all 20 remaining players successfully made their picks today. Theoretically, this contest could end tonight, if Azarenka and Gauff both lose.

The breakdown:

Victoria Azarenka 13
Coco Gauff 6
Jelena Ostapenko 1

by ponchi101 I.... made it? :shock:

by jazzyg
ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:49 am I.... made it? :shock:
Yep, as I thought you would.

Now the 13 players left (including me) have to have Azarenka win to keep this pool alive. I haven't had much confidence in Azarenka for several years, but I felt like she was the right pick here. Let's see what happens.

by nelslus
ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:49 am I.... made it? :shock:
Pfffffttttt. I hope that this turns out to be worth the price of your soul, Jezebel. :gorgeous:

Truth be told- I haven't felt real good about any of my picks for awhile now. LOL, I didn't feel good about picking Ostapenko when I did! Even more than usual, everything seems so unpredictable for almost all rounds with both tours. We all are just going to have accept flying by the seat of our pants during these Pools.

by ponchi101 Seriously. I picked Alona because I felt that picking Iga would have cornered me even more. So, the reality is that this was plain, dumb luck. Sure, now I can say I picked Coco at the right time, and Ostapenko at the right time, and if Azarenka loses today and I win, it is just dumb luck from my side,
As you say. Especially with the WTA, it is flying by the seat of our pants most of the times.

by nelslus
ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:06 am Seriously. I picked Alona because I felt that picking Iga would have cornered me even more. So, the reality is that this was plain, dumb luck. Sure, now I can say I picked Coco at the right time, and Ostapenko at the right time, and if Azarenka loses today and I win, it is just dumb luck from my side,
As you say. Especially with the WTA, it is flying by the seat of our pants most of the times.
OH, I know. I mean, I think all of us were thinking, well, Coco could definitely lose to Ostapenko, and Azarenka for sure could lose to anyone these days. And, isn't funny that, sometimes with these pools, being either literally or in one's mind, feeling "boxed in" can lead to making the "wrong" choice that works out well for you.

by JazzNU I'm a bit surprised by the number of Coco pickers. Will look forward to seeing the breakdown in Predictions. And with @ponchi saying he was saving Swiatek, wonder if that's the main winner there as well. That's not surprising in general, but didn't line up with what I was seeing this week on court.

by nelslus I've already mentioned Ostapenko's singles record this year, she hasn't been on a good singles win streak for awhile, and she hasn't been in a Slam singles SF/QF since Wimbledon 2018. And, Ostapenko struggled mightily the first two sets this tournament against Bondar. and she had never made it past R3 at the Aussie. On paper at least, Gauff's had a better singles record as of late, and she had looked very good to me during this tournament.

I don't think anyone who picked Gauff did so with a ton of confidence. I figured Gauff would next lose to Iga, or possibly to Rybanina next round. Ostapenko can clearly pull out the Inspiration card at any point in time, clearly. But, even in hindsight, I'd have been surprised not to see the majority picking Gauff.

by nelslus ...WELL, then, now that i've looked at her record, Gauff did lose R1 at the Aussie last year, and before that, it'd been R2 and R16. So, there's that. :freaking:

by JazzNU
nelslus wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:40 am I've already mentioned Ostapenko's singles record this year, she hasn't been on a good singles win streak for awhile, and she hasn't been in a Slam singles SF/QF since Wimbledon 2018. And, Ostapenko struggled mightily the first two sets this tournament against Bondar. and she had never made it past R3 at the Aussie. On paper at least, Gauff's had a better singles record as of late, and she had looked very good to me during this tournament.

I don't think anyone who picked Gauff did so with a ton of confidence. I figured Gauff would next lose to Iga, or possibly to Rybanina next round. Ostapenko can clearly pull out the Inspiration card at any point in time, clearly. But, even in hindsight, I'd have been surprised not to see the majority picking Gauff.
I'm not surprised that people picked Gauff over Ostapenko, I'm surprised they picked in that specific match. I thought Coco was likely to lose, I thought at least some would think along the same lines. But it's also clear I view Ostapenko's form in the last year and Gauff's performance this tournament differently than you do.

by ptmcmahon
jazzyg wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:54 am
Yep, as I thought you would.

Now the 13 players left (including me) have to have Azarenka win to keep this pool alive. I haven't had much confidence in Azarenka for several years, but I felt like she was the right pick here. Let's see what happens.
Well Pool will be alive... for just one person though :)

by dryrunguy Ponchi deserves a shout. Yes, he was a bit cornered, and we've all been there, but he could have taken the cheap route, taken Swiatek (which, in retrospect, wouldn't have worked) and hope to outlast the pack.

He didn't. Ponchi took the brave route.

That's admirable stuff. Well done.

by joanjettson
ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:49 amI.... made it?
I want to know who made Alona's superhero costume ⚡️

by Suliso
ponchi101 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:06 am Seriously. I picked Alona because I felt that picking Iga would have cornered me even more. So, the reality is that this was plain, dumb luck. Sure, now I can say I picked Coco at the right time, and Ostapenko at the right time, and if Azarenka loses today and I win, it is just dumb luck from my side,
The highlighted part remains to be determined :)

by ptmcmahon
dryrunguy wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:05 am Ponchi deserves a shout. Yes, he was a bit cornered, and we've all been there, but he could have taken the cheap route, taken Swiatek (which, in retrospect, wouldn't have worked) and hope to outlast the pack.

He didn't. Ponchi took the brave route.

That's admirable stuff. Well done.
I know everyone thinks it's admirable to beat the draw, but if people want to make safe picks to try to win nothing wrong with that either :) Funny how it would have worked out though!

by ponchi101
Suliso wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:35 pm
The highlighted part remains to be determined :)
Sure. But it was the right time for me. It gave me the extra day.
Funny how this turned out. Coco losses, and so did Krejcikova, so now my bracket is very open. I only have Ostapenko, Azarenka and Zhang alive, and Zhang has a difficult one today. So, from having NO options yesterday, today I am wide open.
Watch me crash and burn. ;) :cry:

by Suliso I think Zhang has a great chance vs Pliskova, but otherwise indeed you're in a great position.

by nelslus
Suliso wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:53 pm I think Zhang has a great chance vs Pliskova, but otherwise indeed you're in a great position.
WELL, ponchi, it was fun while it lasted..... :gorgeous:

by gernblandston Only 2 people left HAVEN'T taken Ostapenko so far. That's letting a big bet ride a long time, gang, I dunno how you can take the suspense! For the rest of us, having both Swiatek AND Coco out makes a total shambles of what was to this point a beautiful setup for a perfect run.

by adicecream So many upsets that I had to pick Pliskova with very little confidence. But just being in the last 14 is a thrill.

by JTContinental
joanjettson wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:27 pm
Minne Mouse

by JTContinental Vika pulls through and denies ponchi the victory for now. 14 players remain for Day 8

The breakdown

Donna Vekic 6
Karolina Pliskova 5
Caroline Garcia 2
Shuai Zhang 1

by JTContinental Tune in later tonight for TMQ's dissection of your lame 3rd round pick

by ponchi101 One set away from my trophy... :cry:

by JazzNU
JTContinental wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:08 am
joanjettson wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:27 pm
Minne Mouse

I'm not a fan of this Minnie Mouse slander. She is cute in her own way and that is not a word that anyone can possibly be using to describe this get up. Alona looks like she's dressed in a homemade costume made because her parents wouldn't get her the one from Spirit Halloween.

by JTContinental OK, maybe a Times Square or Hollywood Boulevard Minnie Mouse

by JTContinental A quick google scan indicates the real culprit is a Latvian brand called DK ONE

by JazzNU
JTContinental wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:05 am A quick google scan indicates the real culprit is a Latvian brand called DK ONE
Don't absolve Alona of that monstrosity. That would be DK One by Jelena Ostapenko. She's a financial backer and designs in collaboration with them. Has said she hopes to design more fashion once she retires...

by jazzyg Clearly, I will never win a women's survivor pool.

Garcia's loss to Linette ranks as the most disappointing, totally unexpected result I've ever experienced in any one of these ever. Linette deserved to win and played a smart match, but my god was Garcia awful.

by gernblandston Just happy to still be here. The last several days have been VERY STRESSFUL.

by ponchi101 Wait until they post the picks for the semis (assuming you are still alive).
Some medication can come handy ;)

by JTContinental Now for our Round 3 edition of STANK or DANK! The problem is that none of these picks were particularly STANK, which doesn't leave TMQ with a lot of comic material to work with.

Maria Sakkari (10 victims) DANK Even though Sakkari's current form is STANK and I don't think she'll end the year in the top 10, she should have the skills to take out Lin Zhu, a relative unknown who managed to drag people down to the grave with her in every round for a total of 21 souls.

Marketa Vondrousova (5 victims) DANK You were run over by the Fruhvirtova Express, which was thankfully (for the other players, not you) derailed today.

Ekaterina Alexandrova (3 victims) DANK TMQ watched part of this match, and the faces Alexandrova made throughout it were definitive STANK faces. At least one player was smart enough to actually pick Linette, but then like the brilliant Schmiedlova picker earlier in the competition, went on to make a boneheaded one in the next round to bow out unceremoniously.

And now a bonus...The Round 4 edition!

Coco Gauff (6 victims) STANK lite here, mostly for unnecessary risk, since the two played a competitive final a few years ago. I figure most of you were setting up for her to be slaughtered in the next round by Swiatek, but that turned out not to work out for any of th e parties involved except ponchi.

Caroline Garcia (2 victims) DANK Garcia took a such a big leap forward at the end of 2022 that TMQ suspected that form would be sustainable for her, but I would have figured her up through this R16 match. Unfortunately, Magda Linette seems to want everyone to forget about that other Polish woman for awhile.

Shuai Zhang (1 victim) DANK This was TMQ's pick and therefore unassailable, despite being forced to make a risky choice today because of yesterday's debacles. However, since I'm always correct, clearly Zhang was the one who was wrong for losing the match.

by gernblandston I just want to shout out to Swiatek. I know the WTA can be a crap shoot but I would like to have thought that oh I don't know KEEPING THE DOMINANT NUMBER ONE SEED IN MY POCKET was a smart bet. Now I can't get farther than the semi's. It was all lining up so nicely. At least now there's nothing to think about. I have exactly 3 picks left to make, if I can, and then I'm done. Good luck to everyone!

by joanjettson
JTContinental wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:51 am Ekaterina Alexandrova (3 victims) DANK TMQ watched part of this match, and the faces Alexandrova made throughout it were definitive STANK faces. At least one player was smart enough to actually pick Linette, but then like the brilliant Schmiedlova picker earlier in the competition, went on to make a boneheaded one in the next round to bow out unceremoniously.
For the SP record, this pick was 100% inspired by faithfully reading the brilliant TMQ report, which has always been adamant about Trevisan and saw me confidently through with Schmiedlova, only to get Bibi gunned the very next day when left to my own devices. I yelp TMQ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

by joanjettson
jazzyg wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:55 am Clearly, I will never win a women's survivor pool.

Garcia's loss to Linette ranks as the most disappointing, totally unexpected result I've ever experienced in any one of these ever. Linette deserved to win and played a smart match, but my god was Garcia awful.
Garcia is like French cinema - long, a little aimless, sometimes whimsical, but always a bit tragic in the end

by ponchi101
joanjettson wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:48 pm
jazzyg wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:55 am Clearly, I will never win a women's survivor pool.

Garcia is like French cinema - long, a little aimless, sometimes whimsical, but always a bit tragic in the end
YOU ARE HIRED!!!!!
:clap: :notworthy:
(Excellent description)

by JTContinental Day 9 is a Rybakina kind of day! Depending on how the matches sort out tonight, this could be over again with Addicecream taking home the trophy.

The breakdown

Elena Rybakina 8
Jessica Pegula 2
Jelena Ostapenko 1

by G2gaynor Well, it looks like no one is picking a player in the final, but down to 8!

by gernblandston DDAAMMIITTTTTT

by ponchi101
G2gaynor wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:30 am Well, it looks like no one is picking a player in the final, but down to 8!
gernblandston wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:35 pm DDAAMMIITTTTTT
Indeed, no one can beat the draw anymore. We all picked Azarenka already, and by definition we all picked Rybakina yesterday. We will die meters from the shore.
And, yes, DDAAMMIITTTTT! That was a surprising score.

by Mikeprice444 Bare with my stupidity, but if the 8 of us all pick a winner today are we done because of rybakina and azarenka being picked by everyone? So the winner(s) will be decided after todays matches? TIA

by ponchi101
Mikeprice444 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:05 pm Bare with my stupidity, but if the 8 of us all pick a winner today are we done because of rybakina and azarenka being picked by everyone? So the winner(s) will be decided after todays matches? TIA
Not stupid at all. We can't beat the draw, but there is a split for picks today:
Everybody can pick Sabalenka, and then, if they win, some can pick Linette if she wins.
You can pick Vekic.
There is a split between Plis/Linette, with some people already having picked Pliskova. So, some people will lose today.
But you are right in that nobody can beat the draw anymore. Pegula let us down. But we will have winners; just not today.

by Mikeprice444 Let me be dumb one more time, won’t the “winners” be decided today? Whoever picks a winner between the two matches today would win since no one can pick tomorrow?

by ponchi101 We can pick tomorrow. For example, those that pick correctly between Linette and Pliskova will still have Sabalenka.
But then, it is as you say. They will have the same pick, and therefore everybody wins and dies on the semis, or loses and dies on the semis.
So, you are correct. But, there is always the dreaded NO PICK. Anybody forgets to make a pick for the semis and s/he is out of medals. That is the only possibility.

by JTContinental Day 10 breakdown

Karolina Pliskova 4
Magda Linette 3
Aryna Sabalenka 1

by ponchi101 G2gaynor going for the win.
Switched from Linette to Sabalenka. If Pliskova wins, G2 is out of the trophy. But if Linette wins, G2 goes head to head against the Linette pickers for the sole trophy.
That's gutsy. :trophy:

by G2gaynor Figured what the hell, let's do it! 1/6 of the way there. C'mon Magda! Do what Aga couldn't do: win a slam! Or at least do what she did, lose in the slam final.

by JTContinental It could happen...

by jazzyg I feel a lot better now that Linette has followed her stunning win over Garcia by taking care of Pliskova with another intelligent match.

Of course I would have been out anyway when Azarenka crushed Pegula. I was totally wrong about that one, too, although you can't call it a shock when a two-time Australian Open champion beats a no-time slam semifinalist.

by chaitumsc If Vekic wins 2 of the remaining 3 (including me) will have no one left to pick

by Mikeprice444 😉

by dryrunguy
jazzyg wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:43 am I was totally wrong about...
My survival pool history in five words...

by JTContinental Tonight's picks will decide our winner(s)! All 4 remaining players have used their last valid pick

The breakdown

Aryna Sabalenka 3
Magda Linette 1

by JTContinental And we have our winners! g2gaynor made a brave attempt at being the sole winner, but it was not to be this time.

by jazzyg Fantastic job by all three winners. Getting that far in the totally unpredictable WTA is incredibly difficult.

by gernblandston Well done, well done, well done, gang!