'23 AO Day 11 OoP & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
Deuce Canada

Re: '23 AO Day 11 OoP & Discussion

Post by Deuce »

An enjoyable match. The 6-2 2nd set score was somewhat deceiving, as most of the games were close.
There's no question that Sabalenka is maturing. I said a couple of years ago that she has the kind of game that can be dominating - but she has obviously been quite fragile psychologically.
I still don't think she'll win this one, though :D .
Fastbackss wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:12 pm Also, again to ESPN, Belarusian flag has been there the whole match.
^ I hadn't noticed that until you pointed it out. Thanks. It's interesting.
Better than the curious white flag of 'surrender' that is mostly shown.
If they're not going to show the Russian or Belarusian flags, then the space should be blank. A white flag under the circumstances is rather... inappropriate.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

much as I love Rybakina, I dont think she is going to beat Sabalenka on Saturday.. I will be happy either way, but my bet is on Saba.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ashkor87 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:40 pm much as I love Rybakina, I dont think she is going to beat Sabalenka on Saturday.. I will be happy either way, but my bet is on Saba.
I'm keeping the faith with Sabalenka, but I think whoever serves better wins. At one point, quarterfinal think, Rybakina was at 50% unreturned first serves for the tournament. That's nearly unplayable. She is also is super calm but Sabalenka has been holding her nerve.
atlpam United States of America

Post by atlpam »

Deuce wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:32 pm An enjoyable match. The 6-2 2nd set score was somewhat deceiving, as most of the games were close.
There's no question that Sabalenka is maturing. I said a couple of years ago that she has the kind of game that can be dominating - but she has obviously been quite fragile psychologically.
I still don't think she'll win this one, though :D .
Fastbackss wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:12 pm Also, again to ESPN, Belarusian flag has been there the whole match.
^ I hadn't noticed that until you pointed it out. Thanks. It's interesting.
Better than the curious white flag of 'surrender' that is mostly shown.
If they're not going to show the Russian or Belarusian flags, then the space should be blank. A white flag under the circumstances is rather... inappropriate.
I noticed they showed the Belarus flag for both Azarenka and Sabalenka. I wonder if Espn will get into hot water for that.
Fastbackss United States of America

Post by Fastbackss »

Took a screencap but had to crop to the below to get it to upload
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I'm with Suliso. A 50/50 match, will come down to who serves better, because both can dominate with their serve.
I was surprised by Rybakina's speed yesterday. She was moving very well, defending on stretched points with ease. Maybe I just caught her on a bad day or the Ostapenko match was so prone to errors I could not see her move. But yesterday she was excellent.
Odd about the flag. We get ESPN here and I am sure that neither Sabalenka not Azarenka had their flag on. Just the white one.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
atlpam United States of America

Post by atlpam »

The flag was white on all earlier rounds; the semis are the first time they showed it as far as I’m aware.
Fastbackss United States of America

Post by Fastbackss »

ESPN staff probably was baffled that they were showing a match during morning hours and forgot to remove it
JazzNU United States of America

Post by JazzNU »

Does anyone know who interviewed Aryna after her match? Was that Casey Dellacqua? Because I truly didn't recognize her if so, but running through the possibilities they've gone with in years past, that was my best guess.
jazzyg United States of America

Post by jazzyg »

Sabalenka should be the huge favorite in the final and will win in a rout if Rybakina does not play better than she did against Azarenka.

The wild card is the serve. Rybakina is hard to break when her 1st serve is on and Sabalenka might get tight on her serve. But once the ball is in play she moves better than Rybakina and is infinitely better on the run.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

meganfernandez wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:46 pm
ashkor87 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:40 pm much as I love Rybakina, I dont think she is going to beat Sabalenka on Saturday.. I will be happy either way, but my bet is on Saba.
I'm keeping the faith with Sabalenka, but I think whoever serves better wins. At one point, quarterfinal think, Rybakina was at 50% unreturned first serves for the tournament. That's nearly unplayable. She is also is super calm but Sabalenka has been holding her nerve.
You had been pulling for Sabalenka for years..finally, she is about to justify your confidence in her! (Mine too). Hope she does it. As she showed against Bencic, she can run anyone off the court so long as she does not self-destruct...only Sabalenka cab actually beat Sabalenka! This time, she seems to have mastered herself...
I watched Rybakina yesterday and she isn't really as zen-like as people say..I thought she was about to burst into tears towards the end of the first set, especially with her coach's antics..ahe should fire him now.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

jazzyg wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:48 pm Sabalenka should be the huge favorite in the final and will win in a rout if Rybakina does not play better than she did against Azarenka.

The wild card is the serve. Rybakina is hard to break when her 1st serve is on and Sabalenka might get tight on her serve. But once the ball is in play she moves better than Rybakina and is infinitely better on the run.
I doubt very much that any true tennis people view Sabalenka as 'a huge favourite'.
Given her strong choking tendencies in the past, and the fact that she's never even played a Major Final - let alone won one... plus the fact that Rybakina has won a Major (albeit there should be an asterisk beside it)...
All of the pertinent elements reveal that the pros and cons on both sides are about even.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

What about IF she doesn't choke and neither does Rybakina?
jazzyg United States of America

Post by jazzyg »

In that case, 6-4, 6-3 Sabalenka.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

No choking?
I don't see Rybakina choking. I have been joking that she is very, very cool and controlled on court, but it is a silly joke. She IS cool and controlled. She already showed at Wimby that being one set down does not bother her. I am half joking because look at her victory response at Wimbledon; heck, BORG went down on his kneed and threw his racquet aside. Rybakina? Raised her hand, small fist pump, smile. It was a glaring example of "Hey, I had this. Why the nerves?"
Sabalenka. Even on those matches in which she could not get a second serve in, it was not precisely choking. She had no control, but she kept going for her shots (after making a serve).
I don't see them choking. We may be in for one hell of a match, maybe going to three. Most likely going to three.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem