'23 RG Women's Draw & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments

RG 2023 WTA. Who wins

Iga. World #1, defending champ, loves clay...
38%
Sabalenka. Madrid winner
15%
Pegula. World #3
3%
Rybakina. Rome champion
22%
Gauff. 2022 RU.
No votes
Sakkari. World # ... 8
No votes
Krejcikova. 2021 champ, member of the big 4 (she says)
2%
Ostapenko. 2017 champ, destroyer of balls
2%
Kalinina. Rome RU
No votes
Mademoiselle Autre. Because you may know something we don't.
19%

Total votes: 101

Suliso Latvia

Re: '23 RG Women's Draw & Discussion

Post by Suliso »

You'd like to see a more random Slam winner than Raducanu? Mira Andreeva wins RG and immediately retires to join a religious community in Idaho. It would take that something like that to beat Emma. :)
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Suliso wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:46 pm You'd like to see a more random Slam winner than Raducanu? Mira Andreeva wins RG and immediately retires to join a religious community in Idaho. It would take that something like that to beat Emma. :)
It would take something like that, indeed. It is just that Emma will have a decade of wild cards so maybe she can salvage her career, which I would like her to.
And it is not only Emma. That final has to be the oddest of all time; Leylah has also failed to reach consistency and depth after that fine run.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Mertens vs Pegula today...both similar players, both top of tier2...Pegula is probably marginally better, though the record suggests otherwise (2-0)...
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Andreeva vs Coco? what is your expectation of this match? I wonder if Andreeva is capable of playing a smart tactical match, which is what it normally takes to defeat Coco...
Tennis com seems to think Stearns will beat Kasatkina...I haven't seen her yet but it seems a bit far-fetched..?
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

ashkor87 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:12 am Tennis com seems to think Stearns will beat Kasatkina...I haven't seen her yet but it seems a bit far-fetched..?
Not a good idea to dismiss Kasatkina on clay.
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

Well, Kasatkina just handed her a bagel, so it will be an uphill climb
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

a bagel, and a breadstick for Stearns - she had no rhythm, and Kasatkina was never in any trouble, playing very free - I think the tennis.com prediction is an example of a pro-American bias
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

And down goes Pegula.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

skatingfan wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:23 am And down goes Pegula.
It is not only that she went down, it was how. I know Mertens plays her best on clay but, as we saw in TSiP contest, it is not as if she is playing great tennis at the moment.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

I didn't see the match (I am travelling on work) but sometime even a 0 and 1 score can be close...was this as bad as it sounds!
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

1:22 hours of match. Some games were close, but still...
I am glad as I really like Mertens, but it should have been a closely fought match.
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

ashkor87 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:11 pm I didn't see the match (I am travelling on work) but sometime even a 0 and 1 score can be close...was this as bad as it sounds!
Stearns had 4 or 5 service games with 30-0 or 40-0 leads and she allowed Kasatkina to get back in and win those games. It was pretty bad.
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

Mertens had one of the matches of her life last night--she only hit 1 UFE of the ground in the first set.
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I was surprised that Mertens beat Pegula. Mertens, despite their h2h, has done bupkis of late.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“It would be nice if we had women’s matches as well” – Swiatek on night sessions at Roland-Garros
Iga Swiatek admits that she prefers to play during the day, but that it would be nice to see some variety for the evening sessions which have, so far, only held men’s matches

Jamie Malachy
June 1, 2023

Iga Swiatek‘s game is well-suited to clay court tennis in dry and hot conditions under the Parisian sun.

With such topspin-heavy game, the world No. 1 thrives in warmer conditions on the clay, where she can generate a devilish amount of kick of her shots.

It is not a surprise, therefore, to hear that she would rather play during the day at this year’s Roland-Garros than in the night sessions. Swiatek also feels that, after a 01:00 finish at the Madrid Open, she has done her late-night match shifts.

SWIATEK SUITED TO THE DAY SESSIONS AT ROLAND-GARROS

“I have to tell you that I kind of requested every day to play a day session because I felt like I played already night sessions in this clay court swing.”

However, when asked about the evening sessions, Swiatek admitted that – although she hasn’t been watching them – a women’s match to be scheduled under the lights would be a good thing.

“Well, I didn’t even, like, kind of know this because I’m not watching these late evening matches. I’m mostly just kind of recovering and not thinking about tennis.

“But obviously it would be nice if we had women’s matches as well.”

UNHAPPY MEMORIES OF LATE-NIGHT FINISH AT MADRID OPEN

Swiatek has said that she will be ready to play a night match if and when required, but that she hopes it will not be a repeat of the late finish in Madrid, something the World No. 1 was clearly irritated about after losing to Sabalenka in the final.

“So in terms of regeneration, recovery, and just kind of being in a good rhythm and also keeping better mindset through the end of the tournament, I think it’s more healthy for me to play day sessions. But I’ll be also ready for night sessions. I already played many of them this year or last year.

“Honestly, if there is a pretty big request, I always kind of adjust. Then maybe if I play many night sessions during a tournament and I kind of straightforwardly said that, please, if you could schedule me a little bit earlier, that would be nice.

“I may get a little bit frustrated as I did in Madrid. You could see in my speech. Maybe I should have said that. I also understand that there is sometimes a need for us to play late.”

Swiatek is next due to play on Saturday, the order of play for which will be released on Friday.

The world No. 1 will take on Chinese player Xinyu Wang in the third round, as she continues her bid for a first ever Grand Slam title defence.

https://www.tennismajors.com/wta-tour-n ... 85376.html

Federer did this all the time at the Aus Open and no one made a big deal about it.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein