'23 RG Day 9 OoP & Discussion

Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
nelslus United States of America

Re: '23 RG Day 9 OoP & Discussion

Post by nelslus »

meganfernandez wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:18 pm
nelslus wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:15 pm ....I SWEAR, I was just going to type in, which will come first- Tsurenko wins a game, takes a medical time out, or defaults. And, 2 out of 3 are already accomplished. :gorgeous:
And now the third. Hat trick!
3/3, indeed.

Of course, I know she is going through a lot. Nevertheless, this is just so frustrating.
Nelslus Revised TAT Signature Currently Under Repair. :gorgeous:
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

nelslus wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:13 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:08 pm
nelslus wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:55 pm

It especially shocked me, because I've always thought that Kader Nouni is an excellent umpire. Albeit, I google searched, and found some controversy from him during a Nalbandian loss in 2012!!

https://www.worldtennismagazine.com/archives/6181

I'm even more cranky than usual (as if the brat and his Mrs. Bates weren't making me cranky enough), since I also got to see Asia Muhammad and Glasspool blow two match points in the third set tiebreaker of their mixed QF loss. I willed Rajeev to multiple Slam titles, and I'm trying to work my anti-suliso magic for the benefit of Townsend. No luck with Asia, as usual. :gorgeous:
thank you for willing Rajeev to Slam titles, on behalf of Indy's entire tennis community. We loved the Rajeev Ram Challenger last summer! Got a close-up look at Shelton, Wu, and Kovacevic.
Yup, and we got to see Ben in the Chicago tournament last year, among many others- including, of course, Tracy Austin's kid, Brendan Holt. :gorgeous:
Ben's mom's family is from Indy and is tennis royalty here. The Witskins - his uncle Todd played at USC and was a top 50 ATP player, and his uncle Rick played some, as well. Rick is now the No. 1 senior pickleball player in the country, I believe. I'm sure you know about Todd. He died young of brain cancer.

Post by nelslus »

meganfernandez wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:36 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:08 pm

thank you for willing Rajeev to Slam titles, on behalf of Indy's entire tennis community. We loved the Rajeev Ram Challenger last summer! Got a close-up look at Shelton, Wu, and Kovacevic.
Yup, and we got to see Ben in the Chicago tournament last year, among many others- including, of course, Tracy Austin's kid, Brendan Holt. :gorgeous:
Ben's mom's family is from Indy and is tennis royalty here. The Witskins - his uncle Todd played at USC and was a top 50 ATP player, and his uncle Rick played some, as well. Rick is now the No. 1 senior pickleball player in the country, I believe. I'm sure you know about Todd. He died young of brain cancer.
AND, of course, Ben's dad, Bryan, made the 1992 Roland Garros mixed final with Lori McNeil, and got to #55 in singles, #52 in doubles. He made the 4R in Wimbledon in 1994 as a qualifier- beating 2nd seed Stich in the first round 3, 3 & 4. I most definitely remember Todd Witskin (who also had a #4 ranking in doubles), and how shocking it was that he died so young- 34. I didn't know that there was a family connection with Ben. I so much am hoping that Ben will have a terrific career.

Post by meganfernandez »

Post by meganfernandez »

nelslus wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:51 pm

AND, of course, Ben's dad, Bryan, made the 1992 Roland Garros mixed final with Lori McNeil, and got to #55 in singles, #52 in doubles. He made the 4R in Wimbledon in 1994 as a qualifier- beating 2nd seed Stich in the first round 3, 3 & 4. I most definitely remember Todd Witskin (who also had a #4 ranking in doubles), and how shocking it was that he died so young- 34. I didn't know that there was a family connection with Ben. I so much am hoping that Ben will have a terrific career.
I didn't know about Bryan's accomplishments, just that he played on the tour. i wonder if he will the exception tot he rule that parents don't make good coaches.

Todd's claims to fame were beating Conners at the 1986 USO, the first time in a long time that Conners lost before the semis, and playing the longest match at Wimbledon before Isner/Mahut.

I have high hopes for Ben. He's exciting and could transcend the sport as a personality. He was very nice in Indy. Made a good impression on everyone.

Post by nelslus »

meganfernandez wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:03 pm
nelslus wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:51 pm

I didn't know about Bryan's accomplishments, just that he played on the tour. i wonder if he will the exception tot he rule that parents don't make good coaches.

Todd's claims to fame were beating Conners at the 1986 USO, the first time in a long time that Conners lost before the semis, and playing the longest match at Wimbledon before Isner/Mahut.

I have high hopes for Ben. He's exciting and could transcend the sport as a personality. He was very nice in Indy. Made a good impression on everyone.
Ben also made a great impression in Chicago. He just comes off as a sweet guy, with a ton of talent. And, I most definitely remember the Witsken Connors US Open beatdown- albeit, Connors beat him the other 4 times they played. Nevertheless, all Connors losses gave, and still give me, great joy.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

nelslus wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:20 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:18 pm
nelslus wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:15 pm ....I SWEAR, I was just going to type in, which will come first- Tsurenko wins a game, takes a medical time out, or defaults. And, 2 out of 3 are already accomplished. :gorgeous:
And now the third. Hat trick!
3/3, indeed.

Of course, I know she is going through a lot. Nevertheless, this is just so frustrating.
meganfernandez wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:01 pm
Something is going on with her, and it may be more than the war. Because the other Ukrainian players do not retire with this frequency.
As you say, frustrating.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

meganfernandez wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:03 pm ...

Connors. During his induction to the BJK Center's Ring of Fame, they did spell his name CONNERS. Jimmy was not happy. ;)
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I was really hoping Ceru would find a way to beat that brat Rune. At least he didn't hand it to him.

As for Tsurenko retiring, uh, injured, this makes Andreescu's 1 & 1 loss to her even more bizarre.

Thanks for the history of Ben Shelton's family. Within the next two years he's going to be making big waves if he sticks with it.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
jazzyg United States of America

Post by jazzyg »

No one wins 14 games in a row over Nishioka.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Sorry to see Nishioka going out like this.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

nelslus wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:31 pm ....AND the cheater wins. As typically is true in the universe, especially as of late. Yay. :bang:

https://www.the-sun.com/sport/8292001/h ... le-bounce/
It's why I call him Saint Holger, such a well rounded young lad.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Owendonovan wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:01 pm
nelslus wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:31 pm ....AND the cheater wins. As typically is true in the universe, especially as of late. Yay. :bang:

https://www.the-sun.com/sport/8292001/h ... le-bounce/
It's why I call him Saint Holger, such a well rounded young lad.
/s

I hope...