by ponchi101 Hello all.
We have a large groups of participants this year, and thanks to all for joining. Let's see how many rounds we survive as, if you remember well, we had a bit of a disastrous Roland Garros. Actually, so bad that we should all be hired by the players are good luck charms.

I will post below my usual HTML file, so please, check your individual tab and let me see if I have made any mistakes. Some players (the real ones) have already finished their matches but those results are pending to be put into the sheet. So, for a brief moment, we all will have a perfect score of 20 points in R1.

Worst of luck!!!!🍀🍀🍀

by ponchi101 Here are the initial picks and scores
contests/YCWJ.htm

by shmrck14 I edited my picks late Sunday night but I guess you didn't see it. My ATP #3 is listed as Borna, but there are several of them so I had updated it show last name of Gojo

by ponchi101
shmrck14 wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 6:07 pm I edited my picks late Sunday night but I guess you didn't see it. My ATP #3 is listed as Borna, but there are several of them so I had updated it show last name of Gojo
Corrected.

by ponchi101 With all these delays, we will have to wait one more day for scores.
But, I can tell you already. We are NOT doing great. :(

by jazzyg For maybe the first time ever, I went 8-0 in the first round.

It probably won't mean anything down the road, but fun nevertheless.

by ponchi101
jazzyg wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 1:31 am For maybe the first time ever, I went 8-0 in the first round.

It probably won't mean anything down the road, but fun nevertheless.
On the contrary. Doing well in R1 is critical. If you look at the story of the contest, I think the winner is usually a person that score between 18 and 20.
You are a great loser! ;)

YCWJ Table.jpg
Full scores and tabs are here. Let me know if there are any mistakes:
contests/YCWJ.htm

And...
of we go to round 2. Let's see when that one ends.
-->
by ponchi101 Ok.
We were able to finish R1, and I have to say:
I was wrong.
The lowest score for the round was a 9, but we have 11 players with 15+ points. Two perfect scores lead the race, by Federex and JazzyG.
YCWJ Table.jpg
Full scores and tabs are here. Let me know if there are any mistakes:
contests/YCWJ.htm

And...
of we go to round 2. Let's see when that one ends.

by Irena2
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 2:59 pm Ok.
We were able to finish R1, and I have to say:
I was wrong.
The lowest score for the round was a 9, but we have 11 players with 15+ points. Two perfect scores lead the race, by Federex and JazzyG.
Congratulations on a stellar first round, Federex and JazzyG!

YCWJ.jpg
Will start updating the scores for R3, but, as always, let me know if you spot any errors in my acounting.

contests/YCWJ.htm

AND. To keep things in perspective. The WINNING SCORE FOR YCWJ AT RG was 32. There are three players in R3 with more than 34, and 7 with more than 30.
Maybe we finally learned how to play this game ;) -->
by ponchi101 With the end of R2, we can update.
JazzyG led the second round too, losing only one player, and such player being a 4th pick. Thanks to that, JazzyG is in first place, with a stellar 39 points, one less than the theoretical maximum.
Federex was not able to keep that pace and dropped a bit, but IronMike and Ponchi101 lost no more players and are 2 and 3.
YCWJ.jpg
Will start updating the scores for R3, but, as always, let me know if you spot any errors in my acounting.

contests/YCWJ.htm

AND. To keep things in perspective. The WINNING SCORE FOR YCWJ AT RG was 32. There are three players in R3 with more than 34, and 7 with more than 30.
Maybe we finally learned how to play this game ;)

YCWJ.jpg
contests/YCWJ.htm -->
by ponchi101 Update for R3.
JazzyG is still in the lead, but did not score the highest total for the round. That went to TexasNiteOwl, who kept ALL if his players alive for the round and moved to 2nd place, tied with IronMike but keeping 5 options available.
YCWJ creator Togdyalttai has secured the wooden spoon for this contest, scoring the lowest score (a still respectable 14) and running our of picks.
11 players have scored more points than the winner of the RG YCWJ contest.
On we move to R4
YCWJ.jpg
contests/YCWJ.htm

by Togtdyalttai While I have run YCWJ for a long time, I didn't create it. That was the user Jack on old TAT, who left circa 2006.

by ponchi101 Ah, before my time. I thought you were the sadistic mind that came up with this idea ;)

YCWJ.jpg
Updated table:
contests/YCWJ.htm -->
by ponchi101 R4 is finished.
By now a good number of players have spent all their picks. Two players remain on top: JazzyG continues a fine run, and TexasNiteOwl has moved into second. While Jazzy has three picks left, they are all in the WTA side (3,2 & 1). TNO has two picks, one shared with JazzyG (Keys) but also Medvedev on the men's. It is not over for either one of them.
YCWJ.jpg
Updated table:
contests/YCWJ.htm

YCWJ.jpg
The link above will lead you to the entire data sheets -->
by ponchi101 With the semis all set.
JazzyG and TexasNiteOwl remain in the lead, and both have picks available. JazzyG has two, TNO has 1, and both have Sabalenka, buy JazzyG has her at #3, TNO has her at #1. That may be a difference.
YCWJ.jpg
The link above will lead you to the entire data sheets

by jazzyg Not liking my chances to hold on the lead I've had from the start now that Svitolina has lost.

IronMike is in excellent position if the men's semifinals and final go as expected.

by ponchi101 Nope. The person nibbling your heels is TexasNiteOwl, and you both have Sabalenka. If Jabeur wins, then you are in a jam. ;)

by weefunk I don't think this affects anything much, but you have Burrage losing to Kasatkina in the first round. She actually lost to her in the second round, and won her first round.

by ponchi101 I does not change much, but thanks for that. With the rain delays it was so difficult to keep track of who won when ;)

by jazzyg
ponchi101 wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 2:24 pm Nope. The person nibbling your heels is TexasNiteOwl, and you both have Sabalenka. If Jabeur wins, then you are in a jam. ;)
Not true. I still have a one-point lead and Jabeur has about a 90-percent chance to win the final. Not that worried about TexasNiteOwl overtaking me.

But if Jabeur wins as I expect, Medvedev loses to Alcaraz and Alcaraz loses to the Djokovic-Sinner winner (as most think will happen), IronMake will overtake me with the 10-point bonus for picking the men's Wooden Spoon winner correctly.

by texasniteowl
jazzyg wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 6:05 pm Not true. I still have a one-point lead and Jabeur has about a 90-percent chance to win the final. Not that worried about TexasNiteOwl overtaking me.
Have you learned nothing here? There is a fine tradition known as jinxing ones self!

oh. wait.

if it helps me, go right ahead!!

🥂

by jazzyg If Jabeur loses, I will be more upset for her than I will be for my losing a shot at winning YCWJ. Did not think she had a real shot going in and on grass she is my favorite player.

But yes, I was tempting fate with that post.

by ponchi101 I love it when we get to the stage in which we are trying to jinx a jinx ;)

by ponchi101 I will only update the current scenarios.
The scores are (after the semis)
JazzyG - 62 (Jabeur available at #3)
TexasNIteOwl - 61 (Jabeur at #1)
IronMike - 52 (Alcaraz available at #3)

So:
JazzyG wins if Jabeur AND Alcaraz win (scores remain the same, nobody collects more points)
TexasNiteOwl wins if Marketa wins, because that is worth 24 points (one more round PLUS 20 points bonus)
And (and my math can be faulty)
IronMike wins if Jabeur wins AND Djokovic wins, because he collects 2 points for the Alcaraz pick PLUS 10 bonus points.

What a finish.

by texasniteowl lol. I want the spoon! Go Marketa!

but I won't be mad if Jabeur wins.

by texasniteowl So, the WOODEN SPOON is MINE! :ax

:o

Before the match I would not have predicted this, but I will take it!

edit: and oh yeah! I hope a lesson about self-jinxing has been learned! 🤣

by ponchi101 Not only a wooden spoon, but a scorching wooden spoon; you may end up with nothing more than a handful of ashes ;) . We have to wait for tomorrow just to see how many points IronMike gets, but needless to say, your score must be one of the highest ever.

by texasniteowl
ponchi101 wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 2:59 pm Not only a wooden spoon, but a scorching wooden spoon; you may end up with nothing more than a handful of ashes ;) . We have to wait for tomorrow just to see how many points IronMike gets, but needless to say, your score must be one of the highest ever.
Wow! I had no idea! I guess winning it in my #1 slot is pretty rare then?

Maybe we should have a stickied "Greatest Moments" or Hall of Fame post like the Survivor Pool?

by jazzyg Great picking, texasniteowl.

My consolation is now I can pull for Djokovic tomorrow without having to worry about it costing me here if he wins.

by ponchi101 With this final, we can have our winner.
Texas Nite Owl wins the 2023 Wimby YCWJ, with a sterling score of 85 points. He chose correctly the wooden spoon for the women's, who was Margarita Betova, who lost to Juvan, to Potapova, to Andreeva to Keys to Sabalenka to Jabeur and to Vondrousova.
On the men's side the wooden spoon went to Lokoli, who lost to Ruud to Broady to Shapovalov to Saffiulin to Sinner to Djokovic to Alcaraz.

TNO: your spoon has been awarded, and I hope you have good-terrible luck in the next events.

Thanks to all for playing.

by texasniteowl Whooohooo! My first SPOON!!!!!

Thanks to everyone and ponchi for the work behind this!

by Omegadoom Congrats to Texasniteowl! Very well played!

Thanks to Ponchi for running this contest!

by motobass Congrats texasniteowl!