2023 WTA YEC

Our main board to talk about our sport
meganfernandez United States of America

Re: 2023 WTA YEC

Post by meganfernandez »

ponchi101 wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:31 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 3:18 pm
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 3:09 pm You could not pay me enough to go to Cancun (I am not into the ALL INCLUSIVE RESORT EXPERIENCE) but the city is super well developed and you have all the facilities you need. Rest assured the courts will be fine.
Then stay on Isla Mujeres and take the ferry back and forth. :) it is crazy how much the city has grown. I don't think ANYTHING was there 50-70 years ago. No roads or any development. I'm dying to go to Merida, too.

I have no problem with a nice big resort or all-inclusive, as long as the atmosphere isn't a party scene. The Riviera Maya coast south of Cancun has a billion choices for about any taste, and the beaches are really nice. Some too choppy for good swimming. That's my opinion...
Not for me. ;) When I want to go to a Caribbean scenery, I choose Costa Rica. Way more low-key, smaller, nice people, and closer to me. And you can do both the Caribbean scene AND Pacific scene, without having to drive too much.
But sure, Mexico's got it down pat. Their resorts and tourist areas are very nice. Just a bit too much for my taste.
(Oh, and I have Curazao at 90 minutes of flight, so... ;) )
You are spoiled with Caribbean access. I'd much rather go somewhere else, but Cancun is so easy to get to from the Midwest. We don't have nonstop flights to any other beaches outside of the US, if any. Not even Puerto Rico. Isla Mujeres is much more local and the main beach used to be as pretty as any in the Caribbean. They've messed it up with development, erosion and day boats from Cancun.

I used to work for a travel club based out of Indy that chartered planes for nonstop flights to a lot of Caribbean and Mexican destinations. it was fantastic, for people who lived here and for staffers. I could go for free when there was space available, like an airline employee. We were owned by a regular airline and probably not profitable, which is why no other travel clubs like ours (with charter air and membership() existed. Miss those days.

Post by meganfernandez »

ashkor87 wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:19 pm Merida is awesome.. I was there about 40 years ago though! went when we lived in Dallas .. the most expensive part of the 10 day trip was the parking at Dallas airport.
I used to think I would retire there. I've looked up their tennis clubs. I think it would be too hot for me to play outside in the summer.

Post by meganfernandez »

Suliso wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:12 pm Talking about Caribbean we're contemplating Guadeloupe and Dominica for two weeks late March next year. Any of you been in either?

Guadeloupe is easy for us to get to because we're close to Paris.
I haven't. Dominca is volcanic and rocky - people don't go for the beaches. They go for hiking, I think. Have you been to St. Lucia? Anguilla beaches are amazing - ferry from St. Martin. You probably can't go wrong in the Caribbean, though.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

meganfernandez wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:53 pm
Suliso wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:12 pm Talking about Caribbean we're contemplating Guadeloupe and Dominica for two weeks late March next year. Any of you been in either?

I haven't. Dominca is volcanic and rocky - people don't go for the beaches. They go for hiking, I think. Have you been to St. Lucia? Anguilla beaches are amazing - ferry from St. Martin. You probably can't go wrong in the Caribbean, though.
I hate beaches, never even thought of going to Cancun.
We do a trek in the Himalayas every year, much more fun for us.
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

It's very difficult for me to process hating the beach. Cancun should be a lovely warm place for a YEC.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Being from the Caribbean, I cannot hate a beach.
A mojito, soft sand, a piña colada, soft breezes, a mojito...
I do love the snow, but a beach will do it very well for me.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Hiking is exactly what we wish to do. Few days on the beach is all we want. Becomes boring after that...

Never been to Caribbean. Have been to Cancun and around Yucatan penninsula. Beach in Cancun is great, but that's really all there is.

Post by meganfernandez »

Suliso wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:50 am

Hiking is exactly what we wish to do. Few days on the beach is all we want. Becomes boring after that...

Never been to Caribbean. Have been to Cancun and around Yucatan penninsula. Beach in Cancun is great, but that's really all there is.
Ruins are popular day trips, and the cenotes are pretty cool. Other than that, it's water activities, resort stuff, good food, and some cute towns to explore. It's primarily a beach place, for sure.
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

Sabalenka, Swiatek, Gauff, and Rybakina have all qualified in singles, and Gauff/Pegula have qualified in doubles.

Post by meganfernandez »

JTContinental wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 5:41 pm Sabalenka, Swiatek, Gauff, and Rybakina have all qualified in singles, and Gauff/Pegula have qualified in doubles.
That's it? There are still 4 spots open in singles?
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

meganfernandez wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:32 pm
JTContinental wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 5:41 pm Sabalenka, Swiatek, Gauff, and Rybakina have all qualified in singles, and Gauff/Pegula have qualified in doubles.
That's it? There are still 4 spots open in singles?
Yes—Pegula is probably close to qualifying, and currently the remaining spots would go to Vondrousova, Muchova, and Jabeur
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

4000 people? that's it
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Re Saudi Arablia and its attitude to women - a personal story:
a few years ago, I was working with a young Muslim girl, married - one day she told me should would not be there the next week because she was going to be with her husband - an Investment Banker in Saudi (not a constructon worker, an investment banker!). But the next week, she was there, as usual, so
Me: what happened?
She: i didnt get a visa
Me: ?! I thought you would get a visa easily, being a Muslim.. are you the wrong kind of Muslim? (i meant Shia versus Sunni)
She: i didnt get the visa Because I am a Muslim
me ( astonished) - tell me more!
She: they said I cannot travel , without my husband or brother
Me: but he would come to the airport to pick you up, right?
She: that isnt good enough.. I would be on the plane on my own, then all the way through immigration and customs..
so, in the end, her husband flew to India and accompanied here back to Saudi, then flew back to India to get her back home, then flew back to work on his own!
what a crew! what a country!
then they want to see young women in short skirts playing tennis? would they have to be accompanied by their husbands/brothers? on the court? Presumably only if they are not Muslim?! what about Ons?
The hypocricy is unimaginable..

But i have heard more horrible stories of women travelling to Saudi, which I will not repeat here...

Post by meganfernandez »

ashkor87 wrote:Re Saudi Arablia and its attitude to women - a personal story:
a few years ago, I was working with a young Muslim girl, married - one day she told me should would not be there the next week because she was going to be with her husband - an Investment Banker in Saudi (not a constructon worker, an investment banker!). But the next week, she was there, as usual, so
Me: what happened?
She: i didnt get a visa
Me: ?! I thought you would get a visa easily, being a Muslim.. are you the wrong kind of Muslim? (i meant Shia versus Sunni)
She: i didnt get the visa Because I am a Muslim
me ( astonished) - tell me more!
She: they said I cannot travel , without my husband or brother
Me: but he would come to the airport to pick you up, right?
She: that isnt good enough.. I would be on the plane on my own, then all the way through immigration and customs..
so, in the end, her husband flew to India and accompanied here back to Saudi, then flew back to India to get her back home, then flew back to work on his own!
what a crew! what a country!
then they want to see young women in short skirts playing tennis? would they have to be accompanied by their husbands/brothers? on the court? Presumably only if they are not Muslim?! what about Ons?
The hypocricy is unimaginable..

But i have heard more horrible stories of women travelling to Saudi, which I will not repeat here...
Disgusting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk