2023 USOSP: UPDATED Women's Picks & Results Thread

Can you beat the draw? Just one measly pick a day...

Moderator: Contest Staff

ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Re: 2023 USOSP: UPDATED Women's Picks & Results Thread

Post by ponchi101 »

You have. It will be very hard to beat the draw, but you people are very much in line for a shiny trophy. Good luck.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
sokol United States of America

Post by sokol »

nelslus wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 3:42 am ....I can't believe, even under my present circumstances, that I'm picking Keys- especially this late in any Slam tournament. Might it be more sensible to default and just give up... :shock:
Me too, I thought to pick Sabalenka just to last one more day )), but then I still picked Keys. I just saw a picture of crying Vondrousova though, who had to retire from the doubles match, elbow issues, so maybe Keys will have chances. 🤷‍♀️
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

At the very least, Marketa/Maddie is s 50% match. Marketa maybe just won Wimbledon but it is not as if she all of the sudden became an unstoppable force.
I say you guys live another day.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

20 players remain--if Keys and Sabalenka both lose today, we will have a sole survivor

The breakdown

Madison Keys 15
Aryna Sabalenka 4
Marketa Vondrousova 1

Post by JTContinental »

It's been a busy couple of days at Chez TMQ, but I'll be back tonight with R16 and QF recaps

Post by JTContinental »

Also, I will not be able to post the Day 11 picks thread until after the Keys/Vondrousova match, so make sure to stay vigilant. Survivors will need to make one pick from the semifinal matches.
joanjettson Brazil

Post by joanjettson »

Sabalenka delivered!
We answered the siren song too, that stadium is much breezier
Then back for a grueling last set of Rublev vs the ambulance
I would have loved to stay for Taylor and Ben but it was also me vs the ambulance at that point
Fastbackss United States of America

Post by Fastbackss »

So, it looks like all remaining players have used three of the four?
Michelle_fenlon United States of America

Post by Michelle_fenlon »

I have used all 4 now 😩 This is the furthest I have made it since the first time I played, lol. Good luck to all those remaining!

Post by JTContinental »

Michelle_fenlon wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 1:02 am I have used all 4 now 😩 This is the furthest I have made it since the first time I played, lol. Good luck to all those remaining!

You and 3 others

The rest of you only have Sabalenka left, so we are going to have 15 champions whether she wins or loses tomorrow.
TwineTime Canada

Post by TwineTime »

And this is where I end my run I guess. So close yet so far. Guessed wrong on those Pegula and Swiatek "upsets" and ran into the no picks left available wall. I guess it feels nice to make 10 picks in row correctly and get knocked out of a Survivor Pool by the draw for once and not picking a losing player.

Congrats to those who survived to a SF pick.
Omess Canada

Post by Omess »

JTContinental wrote:
Michelle_fenlon wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 1:02 am I have used all 4 now Image This is the furthest I have made it since the first time I played, lol. Good luck to all those remaining!

You and 3 others

The rest of you only have Sabalenka left, so we are going to have 15 champions whether she wins or loses tomorrow.
Wow my first win in years :)

Envoyé de mon Lenovo TB-8506F en utilisant Tapatalk

Post by JTContinental »

And now for our main attraction--the losers! Join me to see if your R16 or QF losing pick was as STANK as a urine-soaked New York City alleyway baking in the early September sun, or as DANK as a verdant rooftop penthouse garden overlooking a urine-soaked New York City alleyway. Let's find out now!

R16

Belinda Bencic (6 victims) DANK With her middle of the road performance on tour this year, Bencic has been the definition of a paper tiger who isn't delivering in the real world. Conversely, while Belinda has been losing steam, Cirstea has been slowly coming into form as the year progresses, and is unfortunately (for you) peaking at just the right time.

Jessica Pegula (4 victims) DANK For whatever reason, Pegula has not played with her usual intensity since she won Canada. Keys is one of the few who are benefitting from the weird balls they are using this tournament and she is hitting 90 mph groundies, one which bounced up and drilled a hole in your head like that flying sphere in Phantasm.

Ons Jabeur (2 victims) STANK Jabeur had such a bad "respiratory infection" this whole tournament that it was amazing she made it as far as she did. Watching her play during this tournament was agonizing because it looked like her limp, sweaty body was going to drop dead after every point.

Caroline Wozniacki (2 victims) STANK Wozniacki winning this match her third tournament back was a delusional fantasy. However, I counted at least two winners off Wozniacki's racquet, so if nothing else, her comeback was worth it because she doubled her career winner total.

Iga Swiatek (1 victim) STANK Instead of improving, Swiatek looked increasingly worse with each match in the tournament. With Ostapenko's 3-0 H2H going into this match, you ignored the red flags with the coquettish naiveite as the heroine in a cheap You knockoff, with a predictable end result.

QF

SPOILER ALERT: These matches were all so lopsided they couldn't possibly be awarded DANKness

Jelena Ostapenko (4 victims) STANK Jelena is decidedly NOT a morning person, and she wants you to know all about it. You didn't really think that Ostapenko could play good tennis for 5 matches in a row, did you?

Sorana Cirstea (3 victims) STANK Yes, she's been playing career-best tennis (even without Darren Cahill standing behind her and moving her from side to side on the court like a marionette), but 2023 Muchova is a in a class above.

Marketa Vondrousova (1 victim) STANK I'm going to go out on a limb and say you were trying to go for the win with this pick, but you also didn't properly scout to find out that her shoulder wasn't at 100%. Keys, on the other hand, had been watching the tapes, because she ate Marketa's weak serve throughout the match.
paulfmcintyre Canada

Post by paulfmcintyre »

Had to pick Penko in QF in order to have viable path to final. Sometimes a pick that looks STANK is a desperado roll of the dice with open eyes.
joanjettson Brazil

Post by joanjettson »

Once a decade, I get a medal :)
Thanks, Madison!