Covid-19 Updates & Info

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
JazzNU United States of America

Re: Covid-19 Updates & Info

Post by JazzNU »

atlpam wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:13 pm Heard from a good friend that her sister is in ICU after suffering a Covid blood clot induced heart attack (also has double-pneumonia).
This was the result of a family gathering over the holidays. Her daughters flew in for the visit with grandkids under 5. All of the adults were double-vaxed and boosted. All 9 of them have tested positive for Covid. (Not sure if her sister has other health issues that increased her risk).

In more positive news, from looking at trend data, it looks like we may be on the downslope in Georgia from our Omicron peak.
So sorry to hear this, that is rough. Really hope you friend's sister is okay and doesn't have any long term effects and hopefully the others are feeling okay and have mild symptoms at best.
atlpam United States of America

Post by atlpam »

Update on my friend's sister: She is doing much better and is at home recovering. They broke up ~20 clots via a catheter! Hoping there are no further repercussions.
MJ2004

Post by MJ2004 »

The true toll of the antivax movement
By rejecting modern medicine, antivaxxers have recreated past eras when people died like flies
Simon Kuper - FT

There’s a 13-year-old boy whose antivax father — an intelligent, accomplished man in his early fifties — died last month of Covid-19. Go to the father’s Twitter feed and it’s the usual story: he warns followers that governments have “radicalised”, that Pfizer jabs are perilous and long Covid is an invention, then tweets casually that he has tested positive, before his feed suddenly goes silent, for ever.

Many vaccinated people enjoy mocking deaths like his. That’s harsh. We all make wrong choices every day, but they don’t usually kill us. Above all, though, vaxenfreude, as it’s now called, ignores the people left behind.

The worst harm that antivaxxers do is to their families, whom they expose to daily danger and then sometimes plunge into a grief that cannot speak its name. The harm will reverberate down the generations. How will it shape the millions of bereaved and their relationship to the rest of us?

For most inhabitants of rich countries, Covid-19 is no longer lethal, but for the voluntarily unvaccinated, it’s a slaughter they don’t understand. Their risk of Covid-related death is 14 times that of vaccinated people, says Rochelle Walensky, director of the US’s Centers for Disease Control.

Just between June and November, 163,000 Covid-19 deaths in the US alone could have been prevented by vaccination, estimates the Kaiser Family Foundation. That’s nearly double all the American deaths in war in Korea, Vietnam, Afghanistan and Iraq combined — and the unvaccinated continue to die, pointlessly.

For each unvaccinated American death, about nine people lose a grandparent, parent, sibling, spouse or child. Probably the most distressing thing about Covid-19 is its relentless orphaning, which recalls the HIV epidemic in Africa or the Great Flu of 1918. Think of the children of Kevin and Misty Mitchem, a couple in their forties who chose not to be vaccinated and who died of Covid within days of each other in October.

Losing a parent young is one of the great life traumas. Bereaved children are often cast into depression (which is why my own chief life goal is to plug on until my kids are at least 18). Yet when the parent is an antivaxxer taken by Covid, the child may feel shamed into silence over an unnecessary death that some people will always regard as farcical.

Meanwhile, antivaxxers will tend to blame the victim’s supposed physical weakness or pretend that the death wasn’t from Covid-19. They can’t easily change their mind about the disease, because that would mean giving up their antivax identity and the community that comes with it.

Then there are people who won’t discuss the cause of death for fear of politicising a tragedy. (A new trend in parts of the US is to keep Covid-19 out of the obituary.) So children may not have anyone to talk to about the worst moment of their lives.

This is known as “disenfranchised grief” — a term coined by the psychologist Kenneth Doka to describe the feelings of mourners who cannot discuss their loss because the cause of death is stigmatised. This was common during the Aids epidemic, and still is when somebody dies by suicide or an overdose or fighting on the unpopular side of a war. A friend of mine suffered disenfranchised grief when his former mistress died, and he couldn’t tell the person he loved most, his wife.

Today, the antivaxxer’s bereaved relatives — who may themselves be vaccinated, or conflicted doubters — sometimes feel angry with the dead person, and/or with the society that mocks their pain.

Survivors can be saddled with lifelong guilt, especially if the death occurred after a large unvaccinated family gathering. And the death often worsens tensions in families already riven between the unvaccinated and vaccinated. Almost the first thing the bereaved may have to decide together is whether masks must be worn at the funeral.

By rejecting modern medicine, antivaxxers have recreated past eras when people died like flies. Both my grandmothers, for instance, lost their fathers as teenagers, and each went on to lose a child. That was normal a century ago. It was also unbearable, especially because there was almost no language to talk about grief then. For all the angst today about the horrors of social media, that generation was probably more damaged than ours. And the damage was bequeathed to their descendants: both my parents were shaped by their mothers’ unhappiness, and so those long-ago deaths shaped me, too.

Imagine the fear, stress and confusion of a child being raised by antivaxxers now. The virus is everywhere like never before and is slaying people around you. It would be natural to start wondering whether the rest of the world is right and Mummy and Daddy have joined a death cult. It’s an experience that may set these children apart into the 22nd century.

Post by JazzNU »

atlpam wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:32 pm Update on my friend's sister: She is doing much better and is at home recovering. They broke up ~20 clots via a catheter! Hoping there are no further repercussions.
That is just the best news. But wow that is super scary. Amazing that she's already doing well enough to be at home recovering. Covid is no joke, it is maddening how many people try to equate it with a cold.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Txs for that piece, MJ. Excellent.
One has to remember that memes, and antivaxx is a meme, follow very much evolutionary pressures. if the meme grants an advantage, it will thrive. If not, it will vanish. Now, the antivaxx meme offers nothing but downside. I understand that the article is about being compassionate, but there is the practical aspect. There is a limit to how much you can explain the antivaxxers how wrong they are. After that, they have to step back into reality by themselves.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

:clap: :clap: :clap: Joy!
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

This is an interesting and fairly detailed account - mostly in layman's terms - of how mRNA vaccines came to be (from the New York Times)...

How mRNA Vaccines Were Made...

R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Post by JazzNU »

FYI. One order per address is the max right now, each order has 4 tests, won't ship until late January at the earliest. Site goes live officially tomorrow, this is an early limited rollout,, likely stress testing the site today. Super simple order process.

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

JazzNU wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:15 pm FYI. One order per address is the max right now, each order has 4 tests, won't ship until late January at the earliest. Site goes live officially tomorrow, this is an early limited rollout,, likely stress testing the site today. Super simple order process.

Ordered these yesterday, one for self, one for my parents... who incidentally found out yesterday that they have COVID (mild symptoms)

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

I ordered my tests. It doesn't even take five minutes.
Deuce Canada

Post by Deuce »

I picked up my rapid test kit today - left my name at a local drug store about a week ago and they called me yesterday (free). 5 tests.
I don't really see the practicality of them... Firstly, they're not very reliable. The value of a test that tells you that you MIGHT have COVID-19 is... questionable, at best.
The only reason I got it is in case it is discovered in the relatively near future that they are significantly more accurate than is currently claimed.

In fact, these rapid tests could sometimes do more harm than good - like if it gives a negative to a person who IS infected. That person will then feel that it's safe to go out and be among people...

Anyone who experiences any of the symptoms of COVID-19 should isolate for a time (the amount of time seems to depend what time zone you're in these days).
It's pretty simple - if you have symptoms, assume it's COVID and do the right thing.
R.I.P. Amal...

“The opposite of courage is not cowardice - it’s conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow.”- Jim Hightower

Post by JazzNU »

mmmm8 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:02 pm Ordered these yesterday, one for self, one for my parents... who incidentally found out yesterday that they have COVID (mild symptoms)
Hope they are okay, great to hear they only have mild symptoms.