MIXED DOUBLE SF
USA J. Pegula [1]/USA A. Krajicek [1] vs KAZ A. Danilina/FIN H. Heliovaara
WOMEN'S SINGLES F
Not before 4:00 PM
USA C. Gauff [6]
vs A. Sabalenka [2]

LOUIS ARMSTRONG STADIUM 12:00 PM

WC WOMEN'S DOUBLES F
NED D. De Groot [1]/NED J. Griffioen[1] vs JPN Y. Kamiji [2]/RSA K. Montjane [2]
WC QUAD DOUBLES F
Upcoming
NED S. Schroder [1]/NED N. Vink [1] vs GBR A. Lapthorne/RSA D. Ramphadi

COURT 10 12:00 PM

JUNIOR GIRLS' DOUBLES SF
JPN H. Kinoshita/JPN W. Sonobe vs ROU M. Gae [8]/A. Gureva [8]
F
Not before 1:30 PM
TBD vs TBD

COURT 11 12:00 PM

WC MEN'S DOUBLES F
FRA S. Houdet/JPN T. Sanada vs JPN T. Miki/JPN T. Oda
JUNIOR BOYS' SINGLES F
Not before 1:00 PM
BRA J. Fonseca [7] vs TBD

COURT 12 12:00 PM

JUNIOR BOYS' DOUBLES SF
AUS H. Jones/USA A. Razeghi vs SWE M. Dahlin/EST O. Ojakaar
JUNIOR GIRLS' SINGLES F
Not before 1:00 PM
CZE T. Valentova [9] vs USA K. Hui

COURT 13 12:00 PM

JUNIOR BOYS' DOUBLES SF
Y. Demin [1]/MEX R. Pacheco Mendez [1] vs ITA F. Bondioli [6]/AUT J. Schwaerzler [6]
F
TBD vs TBD

COURT 7 12:00 PM

JUNIOR GIRLS' WC SINGLES F
USA M. Phelps [1] vs FRA K. Chasteau [2]
JUNIOR GIRLS' WC DOUBLES F
FRA K. Chasteau [1]/USA M. Phelps [1] vs TBD

COURT 9 12:00 PM

JUNIOR GIRLS' DOUBLES SF
SVK R. Jamrichova [1]/USA K. Quevedo [1] vs JPN S. Saito/JPN N. Sato
JUNIOR BOYS' WC SINGLES F
Not before 2:00 PM
ITA F. Felici [1] vs GBR D. Ward
F
Upcoming
TBD vs TBD

by ponchi101 Aryna in 3. But only at 55% chance.

by ashkor87 Sabalenka will win. 70% ..Coco will get a lot of balls back and make her win every point twice
.but she has the mental fortitude nowadays to handle that.

by ashkor87 Coco still tends to pop the ball short on the forehand, Muchova didn't go after it the way one should, Sabalenka will.

by ashkor87 I have never been able to project number of sets..some straight sets matches are close, closer than those that go the distance..I think one factor is how well the players serve. If neither holds serve easily, a small advantage, applied consistently, can give 6-0 set or a straight sets result. If the servers are good, the set could be decided by a small incident, net cord, a lucky shot..so it could get
More random, with wild swings in sets won. Again, if the court is fast, it is easier to hold serve, so even an inferior player can win a set by luck.

by ashkor87

Bopanna ..!

by ponchi101 It was, after all, once called "The Sport of Gentlemen".
:clap: :clap: :clap:

by 3mlm Due to the Disney/Spectrum dispute I've been watching the US Open by livestreaming Australian TV station 9NOW. A little before the match, Dokic and another Australian commemtator showed a video clip of Coco when she was 8 years old dancing in the stands at the US Open (2012?). As she was dancing she made a telephone gesture just like Ben Shelton's. Dokic even commented on it. Was that a dance move back then?

by ashkor87 Saba missing out on punishing some short balls but is still ahead 5-2

by Fastbackss It hasn't been great to watch.

Sabalenka clearly in charge despite of all her errors. (I think she had a service game where every lost point was a UFE)

by ponchi101 Not anymore.
Aryna will deliver her usual amount of UE's. She is in that stage at the moment.

by ti-amie
3mlm wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:49 pm Due to the Disney/Spectrum dispute I've been watching the US Open by livestreaming Australian TV station 9NOW. A little before the match, Dokic and another Australian commemtator showed a video clip of Coco when she was 8 years old dancing in the stands at the US Open (2012?). As she was dancing she made a telephone gesture just like Ben Shelton's. Dokic even commented on it. Was that a dance move back then?

by ti-amie Just saw Monica Seles and Tracy Austin. Monica was talking away. Tracy seemed to be watching the match. Nice of them to show tennis celebrities.

by ponchi101 Sabalenka's FH is right now the worst stroke in the tour. She simply cannot keep it in (I mean today).

by ti-amie Brad Gilbert is dying right now.

by JTContinental :D

by ashkor87 Got up at 130 to watch this...worth it! Coco played like a champion, Saba is back to her bad old ways...

by Oploskoffie Nothing against Aryna, but happy to see Coco win :)

by ti-amie

by ti-amie What a match! Cori almost melted down but you could see the influence of Gilbert and Riba in the way she settled down and took over the match. Wonderful to see.

by ponchi101 I know that these players play at a different level than us. They have so many weapons, so much skill.
But sometimes, they do forget the most basic of all rules: KEEP THE BALL IN. Sabalenka played a 2nd and 3rd set that would make Ostapenko look controlled.
You can't hit 46 UE's and expect to win.
Coco did the opposite. Keep it in, hold the points, wait for the opening. I say the Pere/Brad team has done a hell of a job.

by ti-amie
ponchi101 wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:36 pm I know that these players play at a different level than us. They have so many weapons, so much skill.
But sometimes, they do forget the most basic of all rules: KEEP THE BALL IN. Sabalenka played a 2nd and 3rd set that would make Ostapenko look controlled.
You can't hit 46 UE's and expect to win.
Coco did the opposite. Keep it in, hold the points, wait for the opening. I say the Pere/Brad team has done a hell of a job.
I told y'all my friend calls Sabalenka Ostapenko with spin.

by ti-amie

by ti-amie

by ponchi101 More data points for my "Experience is overrated" theory.

by ti-amie Amazing comments from Cori.

by ti-amie In other words she's already kicked butt now she's just taking names.

by ti-amie Security was not playing.

by ponchi101 Serious question. Has there been many non-believers? She has been on the "future slam champ" category for a long time now.
I understand that some people talked about issues with her game (the FH analysis and all that) but is anybody surprised by this result? I may be speaking for myself, and I did say Aryna would win, but the fact that she won a slam surprises me not one bit.

by shmrck14
3mlm wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:49 pm Due to the Disney/Spectrum dispute I've been watching the US Open by livestreaming Australian TV station 9NOW. A little before the match, Dokic and another Australian commemtator showed a video clip of Coco when she was 8 years old dancing in the stands at the US Open (2012?). As she was dancing she made a telephone gesture just like Ben Shelton's. Dokic even commented on it. Was that a dance move back then?
The song playing at the time of her dancing was "Call me Maybe" by Carly Rae Jepsen, thus the phone gesture

by skatingfan
ponchi101 wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 11:38 pm Serious question. Has there been many non-believers? She has been on the "future slam champ" category for a long time now.
I understand that some people talked about issues with her game (the FH analysis and all that) but is anybody surprised by this result? I may be speaking for myself, and I did say Aryna would win, but the fact that she won a slam surprises me not one bit.
She's a young, successful black woman who is not afraid to articulate a point of view in a social media age. The amount of hate this young woman has received online is completely out of line with the real world.

by ashkor87
ponchi101 wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 11:38 pm Serious question. Has there been many non-believers? She has been on the "future slam champ" category for a long time now.
I certainly thought she was a year or two away still..

by ashkor87 Gauff-Sabalenka.. another example of 'defense trumps offense' especially, I would add, on a reasonably fast court (it wasn't lightning quick, more like medium, but still enough for a redirected shot to fly through the court) ..and another old adage.. the first game of a middle set is a swing game, ..Sabalenka threw away the break opportunities in the first game of the second set and never got back in front. .

by nelslus
There have been many who have doubted Coco. Some in this site- just sayin'. LOVE that the haters (NOT including anyone from TAT here) gave her the fuel that she needed.

by nelslus Coco had plenty of points on the offensive- especially starting with the middle of the second set through the third set. IMO- troll edition- this does not at least fully count as "another example of "defense trumps offense".

by Owendonovan I'd bet the haters comment was directed at someone specifically, they know who they are.

by texasniteowl
I think my problem is that when she first came on the scene, she was hyped up so much. And yeah, she was obviously good, but still only 15. I just can't usually buy into someone being a future slam champ at that age.

Now, from last year when she made the French final, yeah, future slam champ status achieved even though the loss to Swiatek was pretty lopsided.

Also, given her first round loss as Wimbledon (to Kenin), winning the USO less than 3 months later is a bit of a surprise, outstanding summer or not.

Her defense and movement are astounding. But her offensive groundstrokes I still am not sold on. On faster courts, with opponents who hit harder and deeper, she might not be able to get more balls back.

Then again, she is still only 19 now and will continue to improve. So I do think she will win more.

So am I surprised by this result? Well, yes. and no.

by nelslus
Owendonovan wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:40 am I'd bet the haters comment was directed at someone specifically, they know who they are.
.... Most definitely not just you. :)

by ponchi101 Have we moved to the stage in which criticizing somebody makes you a hater? No in between?
About social media. I don't count social media as a source of doubt; SM is there simply to degrade and denigrate people. I was thinking more along the lines of commentators and "pundits" that could have said she was never going to get a slam.
Social Media to me does not count. Pink Unicorns that poop marshmallows and fart Channel N°5 could go on SM and some idiots would criticize them.

by ti-amie

by ponchi101 Tame, for the high standards we have set here for smashing racquets. But nice of her to give it to a fan.
Now, how about an unbroken one?

by ashkor87
ponchi101 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:51 pm Tame, for the high standards we have set here for smashing racquets. But nice of her to give it to a fan.
Now, how about an unbroken one?
Well, the fan was never going to play with it anyway. So a broken one might be even more valuable!

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote:More data points for my "Experience is overrated" theory.
Because a Slam winner and Slam finalist made the final? I think it’s data for the opposite. All four semifinalista were previous Slam finalists.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by meganfernandez
texasniteowl wrote:
I think my problem is that when she first came on the scene, she was hyped up so much. And yeah, she was obviously good, but still only 15. I just can't usually buy into someone being a future slam champ at that age.

Now, from last year when she made the French final, yeah, future slam champ status achieved even though the loss to Swiatek was pretty lopsided.

Also, given her first round loss as Wimbledon (to Kenin), winning the USO less than 3 months later is a bit of a surprise, outstanding summer or not.

Her defense and movement are astounding. But her offensive groundstrokes I still am not sold on. On faster courts, with opponents who hit harder and deeper, she might not be able to get more balls back.

Then again, she is still only 19 now and will continue to improve. So I do think she will win more.

Agree about Coco’s offense. Nothing that special to me. I hope she keeps developing her net game and plays all-court tennis.

I’m not surprised by Coco. I figured she would win a Slam at some point but not at this tournament. But I’m not surprised. Clearly talented enough and a better player than she was at Wimbledon (where she didn’t play poorly at all - Kenin was fabulous).

by nelslus
meganfernandez wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:26 am
texasniteowl wrote:

Agree about Coco’s offense. Nothing that special to me. I hope she keeps developing her net game and plays all-court tennis.

I’m not surprised by Coco. I figured she would win a Slam at some point but not at this tournament. But I’m not surprised. Clearly talented enough and a better player than she was at Wimbledon (where she didn’t play poorly at all - Kenin was fabulous).
Perhaps if you had seen this live, you'd have been more impressed with the great offensive shots that Coco made? And, again- she's 19. At least, for 19, IMO her offense skills are certainly impressive. Albeit, her defensive skills certainly are a bigger strength.

by ponchi101
meganfernandez wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:21 am
Because a Slam winner and Slam finalist made the final? I think it’s data for the opposite. All four semifinalista were previous Slam finalists.

No. Because Coco is 19. Sure, she was a slam's finalist, but she is still very young. AND, her slams final was when she was 18, so, again, you don't need "experience" to play great tennis. You need talent.
Great champions start winning early, as have done Carlos, Iga and now Coco. Aryna is actually a bit of an exception; she was 24 when she won her Aussie this year. Marketa is also a bit older, but her RG final was when she was 19.
Fine players that we were expecting to mature and win slams have not done so. For example, Belinda has not done so, despite many, many people (myself included) thinking she would. Sinner keeps accruing experience (by definition), and we are waiting. Shelton is very young and already reached the semis of a slam, where he lost to Djokovic, which is nothing to be ashamed of.
If experience were really a critical matter, the tour would be dominated by 25+ yo players. The dominant player in the ATP is Novak, but he is also a proof of my theory: he won his first slam at 20. On the women's side, notice how Pegula remains without a slam's final. Yet, by definition, her experience by now should be enough to carry her to one.

by nelslus
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:24 pm

No. Because Coco is 19. Sure, she was a slam's finalist, but she is still very young. AND, her slams final was when she was 18, so, again, you don't need "experience" to play great tennis. You need talent.
Great champions start winning early, as have done Carlos, Iga and now Coco. Aryna is actually a bit of an exception; she was 24 when she won her Aussie this year. Marketa is also a bit older, but her RG final was when she was 19.
Fine players that we were expecting to mature and win slams have not done so. For example, Belinda has not done so, despite many, many people (myself included) thinking she would. Sinner keeps accruing experience (by definition), and we are waiting. Shelton is very young and already reached the semis of a slam, where he lost to Djokovic, which is nothing to be ashamed of.
If experience were really a critical matter, the tour would be dominated by 25+ yo players. The dominant player in the ATP is Novak, but he is also a proof of my theory: he won his first slam at 20. On the women's side, notice how Pegula remains without a slam's final. Yet, by definition, her experience by now should be enough to carry her to one.
In singles, Pegula hasn't yet made a Slam SF. AND she's 29. So...... :?:

by ponchi101 As I say. Experience is an overrated quality. If you are interested (and have the time):
http://blogs.talkabouttennis2.com/index ... xperience/

by meganfernandez

Fine players that we were expecting to mature and win slams have not done so. For example, Belinda has not done so, despite many, many people (myself included) thinking she would. Sinner keeps accruing experience (by definition), and we are waiting. Shelton is very young already reached the semis of a slam, where he lost to Djokovic, which is nothing to be ashamed of.
If experience were really a critical matter, the tour would be dominated by 25+ yo players. The dominant player in the ATP is Novak, but he is also a prove of my theory: he won his first slam at 20. On the women's side, notice how Pegula remains without a slam's final. Yet, by definition, her experience by now should be enough to carry her to one.
Are you talking about experience late in Slams specifically, big matches? I think it's a big advantage and can't be overrated, but I don't think it's critica nor a guarantee of anything. It's not always the most critical factor, but it can be. It's so circumstantial. It wasn't a critical factor in Gauff-Sabalenka. The experience gap wasn't huge. I'd say Coco is experienced. She has been playing the best players on big stages for 4 years. You make a Slam final, you're experienced. Leylah Fernandez is an experienced player. Anyway, if Sabalenka had won (as she should have), it wouldn't have been because she had the experience to handle the situation better. She had more chances. She had control of more rallies. She made too many sloppy mistakes.

Stats for thought: the tours are dominated by mid-career players. Of the WTA Top 20, only five are younger than 25, and on the ATP, eight are. As of 2018, the average age of a male Slam champion in the Open Era was 25. Only 5% were won by teenagers, and half of those went on to become all-time greats.

by meganfernandez
nelslus wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:59 pm

In singles, Pegula hasn't yet made a Slam SF. AND she's 29. So...... :?:
Not yet, but she has steadily progressed with experience. :)

by meganfernandez
nelslus wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:50 am
meganfernandez wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:26 am
texasniteowl wrote:

Perhaps if you had seen this live, you'd have been more impressed with the great offensive shots that Coco made? And, again- she's 19. At least, for 19, IMO her offense skills are certainly impressive. Albeit, her defensive skills certainly are a bigger strength.
Possibly if I'd seen it live. I'm comparing it to the tennis I've seen on TV for decades. Maybe thinkg like speed and mixing it up don't translate to TV. She's great and a worthy champion, but I thought she paled in comparison to Sabalenka offensively. Sabalenka had a ton of chances and just didn't execute. Coco played a ton of balls back to the middle of the court (with some depth). If that was the strategy, it was risky. Sabalenka has 46 unforced errors and served poorly. I think she lost the match more than Coco won it. Coco did what she had to do, but it wasn't an offensive performance I'd bank on over and over. But what do I know, she won 3 out of 4 tournaments and beat Iga and Sabalenka along the way. Maybe she's doing something I don't see. Maybe just getting into position better and making better decisions over the course of the match.

by ponchi101
meganfernandez wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:23 pm ...

Are you talking about experience late in Slams specifically, big matches? I think it's a big advantage and can't be overrated, but I don't think it's critica nor a guarantee of anything. It's not always the most critical factor, but it can be. It's so circumstantial. It wasn't a critical factor in Gauff-Sabalenka. The experience gap wasn't huge. I'd say Coco is experienced. She has been playing the best players on big stages for 4 years. You make a Slam final, you're experienced. Leylah Fernandez is an experienced player. Anyway, if Sabalenka had won (as she should have), it wouldn't have been because she had the experience to handle the situation better. She had more chances. She had control of more rallies. She made too many sloppy mistakes.

Stats for thought: the tours are dominated by mid-career players. Of the WTA Top 20, only five are younger than 25, and on the ATP, eight are. As of 2018, the average age of a male Slam champion in the Open Era was 25. Only 5% were won by teenagers, and half of those went on to become all-time greats.
I am talking about EXPERIENCE, period. It is the second most overrated human quality, especially in the work environment.

by meganfernandez
ponchi101 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:32 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:23 pm ...

I am talking about EXPERIENCE, period. It is the second most overrated human quality, especially in the work environment.
Agree to disagree, friend. I hope you get an experienced doctor the next time you need one! ;)

What is the most overrated human quality?

by ponchi101 Intuition.