Talk and announcements about the big 4 tournaments
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

'23 USO Day 14 OoP & Discussion

Post by ti-amie »

DAY 14: SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 10

ARTHUR ASHE STADIUM 1:00 PM

WOMEN'S DOUBLES F
CAN G. Dabrowski [16]/NZL E. Routliffe [16] vs GER L. Siegemund [12]/V. Zvonareva [12]

MEN'S SINGLES F
Not before 4:00 PM
D. Medvedev [3]
vs SRB N. Djokovic [2]

LOUIS ARMSTRONG STADIUM 12:00 PM

WC WOMEN'S SINGLES F
NED D. De Groot [1] vs JPN Y. Kamiji [2]
WC MEN'S SINGLES F
GBR G. Reid vs GBR A. Hewett [2]
WC QUAD SINGLES F
Upcoming
NED N. Vink [1] vs NED S. Schroder [2]
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Fastbackss United States of America

Re: '23 USO Day 14 OoP & Discussion

Post by Fastbackss »

Regardless of my general feelings towards her and how the match with Gauff went, I am hopeful that Siegemund feels some sort of redemption from reaching the doubles final

Post by Fastbackss »

The first set of the women's doubles final has not yet concluded. If it goes the distance, with similar length sets, the men's final will not start on time.
Does one ticket seat both matches? If so, going to be chaotic during commercial breaks as people hustle to sit. If not, how quickly can they turn over the crowd
nelslus United States of America

Post by nelslus »

Fastbackss wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:06 pm The first set of the women's doubles final has not yet concluded. If it goes the distance, with similar length sets, the men's final will not start on time.
Does one ticket seat both matches? If so, going to be chaotic during commercial breaks as people hustle to sit. If not, how quickly can they turn over the crowd
YES- at LEAST the Open doesn't make try to make extra $'s to watch any doubles match on Ashe. Your Ashe tickets get you to see all matches during your day or night match tickets. I believe that not having Ashe tickets doesn't allow you to go watch any doubles matches on Ashe- albeit, I could be wrong about that. :?:

VERY happy that Dabrowski and Routliffe won. Routliffe's first Slam title, of course. Dabrowski had one Slam mixed title- but this was her first Slam title in women's doubles. I got to watch some games in the second set via ESPN+, after I got some extra-day errands done.
Nelslus Revised TAT Signature Currently Under Repair. :gorgeous:

Post by Fastbackss »

Thank you for the explanation. Now make sure to go see a good show tonight!
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

nelslus wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:36 pm VERY happy that Dabrowski and Routliffe won. Routliffe's first Slam title, of course. Dabrowski had one Slam mixed title- but this was her first Slam title in women's doubles. I got to watch some games in the second set via ESPN+, after I got some extra-day errands done.
This is Dabrowski's third Grand Slam title - she had previously won 2 mixed titles.
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

This has started exactly as expected... :(
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
mick1303 Ukraine

Post by mick1303 »

It's one of those matches where I will be happy with any result. Because I like them both.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Djoko dropshots are a djoke...he has no touch at all...
skatingfan Canada

Post by skatingfan »

Lacoste had the merch ready to go.

Post by Fastbackss »

So did new balance yesterday!

Post by nelslus »

skatingfan wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:53 pm
nelslus wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:36 pm VERY happy that Dabrowski and Routliffe won. Routliffe's first Slam title, of course. Dabrowski had one Slam mixed title- but this was her first Slam title in women's doubles. I got to watch some games in the second set via ESPN+, after I got some extra-day errands done.
This is Dabrowski's third Grand Slam title - she had previously won 2 mixed titles.
AH, you are correct. Funny that I truly had thought that Dabrowski had "just" one mixed Slam title.

Last edited by nelslus on Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by nelslus »

Fastbackss wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:50 pm Thank you for the explanation. Now make sure to go see a good show tonight!
I did! TODAY, I had enough time to get to Manhattan earlier, and I went FAR more leisurely right to the Here Lies Love box office. Yet again, I had great luck (and didn't have to go and look at the TKTS options, where I know Here Lies Love often is listed for discount tickets), and I was able to get a "Rush" ticket for the 7 p.m. show today for a total of $35.00. It's so much appreciated that I had to pay so little to see two Broadway shows. ( just looked up on my computer to find out that next Sunday, the full price for a ticket in that same seated area is $195.50!!!!) So this time, I actually had a place to sit. The woman who sold me the seat said that this was a "great" seat. WELL- not exactly true. I sat in what was called their "Club Lounge" space. And, a $35 charge does make this a "great" seat- like you are somehow cheating. But, when any actor or actress was performing above us- we could not see a thing. We still were able to see at least 90% of all of what was going on with the show. But, again, for $35--- IMO, who the heck cares?

(For this and other Broadway shows, you can only get "Rush" tickets at the theater box office- same for standing room tickets- or, with some Broadway shows, you can try to get "lottery" and/or some "Rush" tickets on-line, sometimes for next-day tickets- where, if you get chosen, you get an e-mail specifying the amount of time you now have to pay for the ticket. In some cases, you don't get very long to buy).

One cool thing is we were the only audience members who got this "silver" necklace with a mini-disco ball. These necklace things probably cost them a quarter each, if that. But, still- HEY, it's free and cute. I kept it on as I travelled back to where I am staying on the train and bus, and I'm wearing the thing on the plane that HOPEFULLY!!!!! I'll be able to get on tomorrow. Plus, it was also VERY cool- as we were told ahead of time- that for the last 20 minutes or so, they brought us out to be in the standing room dance area. IF you have the bucks- I'd say being in the main standing room area WOULD be the best- it's a great, immersive view of everything going on.

I then pre-show had a delicious lasagna meal very close by of that theatre that was very affordable. In fact, I also ordered a meatball, and I had requested one mini-stuffed roll. WELL, they gave me a huge portion of lasagna, multiple meatballs, multiple rolls, AND the lasagna came with a lot of garlic bread. I hated to do this, but I had to throw out a lot of food, although I did have them put the garlic bread and rolls in aluminum foil, in case I can figure out how to eat them tomorrow, and/or if my hosts like them.

The show was very well done. Beautiful costumes, great lighting and effects, and a terrific cast- including many gorgeous and very talented Asian males- which never hurts. The women, of course, were also stunning. I can't remember much of anything about the songs- which is almost always what you find in Broadway shows these days (says the old theatre fan fart). But, the songs and music worked great for this show- ballads, disco, funny, sad, serious etc. Here's the huge aspect one has to at least try find a way to put aside- the show's about Ferdinand and Imelda Marcos- a hugely evil dictator and his extremely messed up, vain, and despicable wife. Two horrible, horrible people. And a lot of the show (albeit definitely with deep irony) had these big, hugely energetic, put-your-hands-in-the-air and dance-wildly-to-the-music while you HIgh-5 Imelda and Ferdinand. At least THAT far I could not go. To be fair, they did end up posting messages on many of the theatre walls about the devastation and horrors that they committed in the Philippines- so many assassinated, so many incarcerated, so many lives ruined, so many left in poverty, homeless, etc., etc. AND, the show ended with some mostly ensemble members- some with instruments- to sing and perform in English what came off to me as kind of a Philippines folks song- that felt very moving- especially as this song clearly were moved by this song.

HOWEVER- at the end, as the cast came out for their standing ovations and huge applause- it was time for more big jazz-hands disco dance-to-the-music, put-your-hands-in-the-air-and-JUMP songs. Nevertheless, I also saw Evita multiple times- so my option in this matter to take any kind of a moral high-road ended years ago. Just as as is true for so many fully theatre-lovin' nerd lemming. SO, yes, I did enjoy the show. In this case- judge me. :oops:

Post by Fastbackss »

Glad it went better. Sounds like was entertaining show and the price was right.

Ps - mmm lasagna...
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

It sounds like you went to Carmine's where the food is delicious but they only serve family style portions.
“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein