Looking ahead to 2024

Our main board to talk about our sport
atlpam United States of America

Re: Looking ahead to 2024

Post by atlpam »

meganfernandez wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:37 pm I give Ons a strong chance at Wimbledon again. One more try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I feel she's going the way of Radwanska at Wimbledon - some beautiful grass court play, but destined to always be the bridesmaid.
meganfernandez United States of America

Post by meganfernandez »

ashkor87 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:04 pm
JTContinental wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:17 am Sinner will win a slam this year,
best chance would be the Australian - fast court plus he has momentum.. but can he survive the heat and outdoors conditions? and Djokovic is very hard to beat at Melbourne.
Ooh, can i use this in my writeup for Tennis.com? I wish I could credit you, but I wouldn't be able to.

Post by meganfernandez »

atlpam wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:35 pm
meganfernandez wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:37 pm I give Ons a strong chance at Wimbledon again. One more try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I feel she's going the way of Radwanska at Wimbledon - some beautiful grass court play, but destined to always be the bridesmaid.
Interesting comparison. I would have thought so if she hadn't bounced back from the tough 2022 loss and made another final. Her game is so well-suited to grass, I'm going to have faith and say she makes another run - if she is healthy. If the WTA had any huge servers, I might feel differently. Only Sabalenka and Rybakina might server her off the court. I expect Gauff to improve her serve this year.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Gauff's serve is good enough already, her forehand grip makes it tough for her to deal with low balls .
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

meganfernandez wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:36 pm
ashkor87 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:04 pm
JTContinental wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:17 am Sinner will win a slam this year,
best chance would be the Australian - fast court plus he has momentum.. but can he survive the heat and outdoors conditions? and Djokovic is very hard to beat at Melbourne.
Ooh, can i use this in my writeup for Tennis.com? I wish I could credit you, but I wouldn't be able to.
Certainly!! I don't need credit...

Post by meganfernandez »

ashkor87 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:34 pm Gauff's serve is good enough already, her forehand grip makes it tough for her to deal with low balls .
It is decent, but it should be a weapon. A bail-out weapon. Until then, it's not good enough. :) Women aren't setting the bar high enough for themselves on their serve. She and BG were working with Roddick recently, so I bet they are amping it up.

And yes, the forehand... Do you think that will hurt her at Wimbledon? Does the ball still stay low on grass, or is it bouncing higher with the change to the surface?
ashkor87 wrote: Certainly!! I don't need credit...
Thanks! Secret weapon! :)
JTContinental United States of America

Post by JTContinental »

meganfernandez wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:30 pm Would love your guys' thoughts on these questions I have to weight in on for Tennis.com this week.

Will Novak Djokovic finally get his long-sought Olympic gold medal at Roland Garros? (My opinion: yes)
Will Jannik Sinner break through and win a Grand Slam title? (No)
Will any WTA player win multiple majors? (No)
Not to be contrary, but no, yes, yes :D
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

My answers would by No, Yes and Yes :)

Most confident about the last one. There are three players who could conceivably win 2+ with Swiatek most likely since she has done so before.

Post by meganfernandez »

Suliso wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:37 pm My answers would by No, Yes and Yes :)

Most confident about the last one. There are three players who could conceivably win 2+ with Swiatek most likely since she has done so before.
So exactly opposite of my answers. :lol: It's so hard to say. I think Djokovic will prioritize the Olympics, and he usually accomplishes what he sets out to. As for the others - Sinner hasn't proven himself in B5 yet. One semi. I give him another year or so. I think Zverev actually might be just as closer as Sinner is because it's B5. Fro the WTA, other than Serena, only Kerber and Iga have repeated as Slam champs in recent memory. Quick, last person other than those three to win two in one year? (This is a bit mischaracterized because Osaka won consecutive Slams twice, they just weren't in the same year.)

I think Iga and Sabalenka could win two, but the WTA is so deep that I'm going with no.
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Agree with you on djokovic..sinner has a 30% chance so that is a no. For someone to win multiple majors, she has to be so dominant. swiatek is, so good chance she can do it ..
Owendonovan United States of America

Post by Owendonovan »

I'm still kinda holding my breath for Kenin.

Post by JTContinental »

meganfernandez wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:33 pm
Suliso wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:37 pm My answers would by No, Yes and Yes :)

So exactly opposite of my answers. :lol: It's so hard to say. I think Djokovic will prioritize the Olympics, and he usually accomplishes what he sets out to. As for the others - Sinner hasn't proven himself in B5 yet. One semi. I give him another year or so. I think Zverev actually might be just as closer as Sinner is because it's B5. Fro the WTA, other than Serena, only Kerber and Iga have repeated as Slam champs in recent memory. Quick, last person other than those three to win two in one year? (This is a bit mischaracterized because Osaka won consecutive Slams twice, they just weren't in the same year.)

I think Iga and Sabalenka could win two, but the WTA is so deep that I'm going with no.
Venus?

Post by JTContinental »

Or maybe Justine did it more recently
ashkor87 India

Post by ashkor87 »

Realistically, Swiatek starts with the French in the bag - all she needs is one more..Wimbledon is the least likely..so USO is the most likely second title for her, given that she is a vey good hard court player and the USO is not so fast that someone like Rybakina or Sabalenka can blast her off it..

Post by meganfernandez »

ashkor87 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:50 pm Realistically, Swiatek starts with the French in the bag - all she needs is one more..Wimbledon is the least likely..so USO is the most likely second title for her, given that she is a vey good hard court player and the USO is not so fast that someone like Rybakina or Sabalenka can blast her off it..
Half in the bag, I'd say. Not quite Rafa yet. Muchova got very close last year, 6-4 in the third. But sure, she's the heavy favorite and there isn't as much competition as on hard court. Iga dropped 4 bagels in the first three rounds last year!

There's just so much competition at the US Open. So many players can break through there, it seems. Next year, she will probably go hard to win the Olympics, too, and might not be 100% by the US Open. Just some factors I'm thinking about.