2024 PREDICTION CONTEST INSTRUCTIONS

Topics and everything related to this test of skill

Moderator: Contest Staff

3mlm United States of America

2024 PREDICTION CONTEST INSTRUCTIONS

Post by 3mlm »

After a nice vacation, the 2024 TAT Prediction Contest begins the week of January 1.

This contest is open to all TAT members who wish to participate. You can sign up by submitting picks for a current (or future) tournament.

THERE ARE CHANGES TO THE 2024 PREDICTION CONTEST. The Bonus Category is no more, just the ATP and WTA categories. There are also changes in the scoring.

The 2004 TAT Prediction Contest has two main categories: ATP and WTA.

The ATP category includes predictions for the ATP Finals, Slams, 9 Masters Series tournaments and tournaments at the 250 and 500 levels. Participants may predict as many 250 and 500 level tournaments as they want, but only their best scores at up to 25 of those tournaments will be included in their overall scores.

The WTA category includes predictions for the WTA Finals, Slams, 10 WTA1000 tournaments and tournaments at the 250 and 500 levels. Participants may predict as many 250 and 500 level tournaments as they want, but only their best scores at up to 20 of those tournaments will be included in their overall scores.

2024 Prediction Scoring Structure

The core scoring structure has changed.

For ATP and WTA 250 and 500 tournaments it remains: 1 point for each correct quarterfinalist; 2 points for each correct semifinalist; 3 points for each correct finalist; and 4 points for each correct tournament winner.

Points are doubled for the four Slam and the ATP and WTA Finals.

In a change for 2024, for ATP Masters and WTA 1000s it’s: 1 point for each correct quarterfinalist; 3 points for each correct semifinalist; 4 points for each correct finalist; and 6 points for the winner.

At the end of the year, medals will be awarded to the top three finishers in the ATP and WTA categories and the top three finishers in the combined ATP and WTA scores. You will be able to track your status in each category and in the total when the scores are posted each week.

How the 2024 Prediction Contest Begins

The year starts in the week of January 1 with tournaments in Brisbane and Hong Kong for the ATP while the WTA will begin in Brisbane and Aukland.

The year is divided in weeks. Each week participants predict the quarterfinalists, semifinalists and winners of ATP and WTA singles tournaments at the 250 level or above.

Each week a thread will be posted in this forum for the tournaments played during that week. Not all tournaments' predictions are due at the same time. Each one has its own deadline which will be posted in the same thread along with the tournament level (250, 500, 1000, Slam, Final).

Deadlines may change due to unforeseen circumstance. Generally the rule of thumb is that the deadline is start of play for the first day in which more than 2 R16 matches are scheduled. It’s up to participants to be aware of this as I am fallible. I try to update as well as I am able.

Make sure to check back regularly and to check the WTA, ATP and/or tournament sites so as to not miss deadlines.

Special Situations:

- Occasionally all R-32 matches may not have been concluded before the deadline. In such situation you will have to send your predictions all the same but will have to choose from the player you think will win the unfinished R-32 match.

- Freebies: this is the opposite situation. Some R-16 matches will have been played before the deadline giving you a FREE quarterfinalist which will not exceed 2 per tournament.

- Deadlines may change due to unforeseen circumstance. Generally the rule of thumb is that the deadline is start of play for the day in which more than 2 R16 matches will be played. It’s up to participants to be aware of this as I am fallible. I try to update as well as I am able.

Submitting Predictions

Predictions should be emailed to TATcontests@gmail.com to receive an email acknowledging receipt of your email. Include your TAT username and the word "picks" in the body of the message to receive the acknowledgment.

You may also submit predictions by a pm but will not receive an acknowledgment.

Please submit predictions in the following format:

Username/QF1/QF2/QF3/QF4/QF5/QF6/QF7/QF8/SF1/SF2/SF3/SF4/F1/F2/Winner.

Example:

3mlm/Sakkari/Kerber/Azarenka/Kontaveit/Brady/Rybakina/Kudermetova/Bencic/Sakkari/Azarenka/Brady/Kudermetova/Sakkari/Kudermetova/Sakkari

Use last names only unless two players with the same last name play each other. In that case also use the first name initial (ie, SWilliams, KaPliskova or KrPliskova) for the selected winner of the match. Also, please don’t include countries, rankings, etc.

The closer the requested format is followed the easier it is to copy and paste to a text document and format for posting picks to the board and my scoring spreadsheet. Out of order picks and picks in columns have to be retyped in the proper format which can result in confusion and errors in transcription. 
Fastbackss United States of America

Re: 2024 PREDICTION CONTEST INSTRUCTIONS

Post by Fastbackss »

I love these changes.
ptmcmahon Canada

Re: 2024 PREDICTION CONTEST INSTRUCTIONS

Post by ptmcmahon »

Agreed. It's enough to make me actually try to do every week again since you won't be screwed if you miss say 1-2 tournaments here and there. Good changes :)

Thanks 3mlm.
:steven: