The Music Thread

All the other crazy stuff we talk about. Politics, Science, News, the Kitchen, other hobbies.
MJ2004

The Music Thread

Post by MJ2004 »

As a lifelong A-ha fan, seeing Morten singing his beautiful unplugged rendition of Take On Me while masked in a giant Viking costume and watching NONE OF THE JUDGES recognize him most definitely falls in the category of things I'd never see. He has one of the most recognizable voices in pop and he's SINGING HIS OWN DAMN SONG...

I had no idea this show exists btw, what a crazy concept. And what an epic troll.
Last edited by MJ2004 on Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
MJ2004

Re: The Music Thread

Post by MJ2004 »

It's been an extra crappy few weeks in the world, so I thought I'd just post this here. I watch it now and then when I need to watch something that will make me feel good.

Miyazaki manages to tell a better story in a 6 minute music video than most full-length movies. Obviously this will play better to fans of Studio Ghibli. And how psyched was this band to get Miyazaki to animate their video?
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

Lovely.
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

A random youtube recommendation, but I liked

ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

If you've never seen the scene from the original West Side Story movie:

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
Suliso Latvia

Post by Suliso »

Just a random youtube video. Not sure if these are professional dancers or high level amateurs, but in either case they're very good.

MJ2004

Post by MJ2004 »

Most of what Rick Beato says goes over my head, but nobody breaks apart a song like he does. I'm putting this up for fans of Comfortably Numb:
ponchi101 Venezuela
Site Admin

Post by ponchi101 »

I really enjoyed it, and this man is obviously a very talented and educated musician, but...
The reason CN is such a great song is because Waters had been building up that album by more than 50 minutes by then. The moment right before CN starts, the previous song, which is the somber BRING THE BOYS BACK HOME, ends with that guttural question "Is there anybody out there?". Then CN kicks in.
Like most of PF's music, listening to a single song is missing the entire album. Is like getting a 7 meal Italian meal, picking some rice from the risotto, and claiming it was excellent.
Of course, the orchestration was out of this world, but that was the whole thing about Floyd. Waters was an absolute genius at that, and I would venture that nobody has even come close to what he did in those years, both with "The Wall" and "Wish You Were Here"* (maybe Roland Olazabal, with Sowing the seeds of love, comes close). But breaking the song apart to this level is not needed. Of course, the man is right, but he misses a couple of things: Mason's drumming is not ordinary and he is, to me, a totally underrated drummer, who could have easily been a great jazz drummer. And Wrigth's keyboard behind all of those, with Kamel's orchestration, gives the perfect canvas. When Floyd started, and if you listen to their early albums, they were not great musicians; they were not even good. Then they applied themselves and with Gilmour's addition, became a series of really great players (and actually, I believe that Waters is the least talented, as a natural bassist). The song has those two solos that are incredible but, as solos go, Wright's keyboards in Shine of You Crazy Diamond (part V) from WYWH is a more complex and interesting piece. Of course, guitar players don't focus on that.

I know I sound critical, which I am, but this guy sees it from the point of view of a guitar player. But as a fan, such a deep deconstruction is not necessary. It is a great song because if has ALL the ingredients: great lyrics (which only make sense if you have heard the entire album by then), superb orchestration, a mix of vocals that are almost choir like (Wright's voice is so similar to Gilmour that they were frequently confused and people thought it was only one man, when they were two) and a generational feeling that you get only in a few albums, all of them conceptual (Tommy, Journey to the center of the earth, Tales of Mystery and Imagination, for example).

But a really enjoyable clip. Txs.
Off Topic
* It is, I guess, the reason I so completely dislike today's music. Nobody orchestrates anymore
Ego figere omnia et scio supellectilem
mmmm8

Post by mmmm8 »

I agree with you, Ponchi, about the reasons the song is great (lyrics, instrument and vocal orchestration - to me, the vocalization is very tied into the instrumental arrangement) but disagree that it only comes to live as part of the album. The conceptualization of the album is great and that's why the album is a masterpiece, but, IMHO, the song fully stands on its own and maybe takes on even more meaning outside the track list.

(Full disclosure, I haven't watched the above video)
MJ2004

The Music Thread

Post by MJ2004 »

I agree that while it’s core to the album, this song very much stands on its own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MJ2004

Post by MJ2004 »

I'm a sucker for long shots in a single take. Think the opening scene in The Player, the seasons changing scene in Notting Hill.

This one take music video is impressively shot:
the Moz Canada

Post by the Moz »

MJ2004 wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:14 pm I'm a sucker for long shots in a single take. Think the opening scene in The Player, the seasons changing scene in Notting Hill.
Aces :thumbsup:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock:
ti-amie United States of America

Honorary_medal

Post by ti-amie »

“Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the Great Mystery into which we were born.” Albert Einstein
the Moz Canada

Post by the Moz »

ti-amie wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 5:59 pm
Classic :thumbsup:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock:
the Moz Canada

Post by the Moz »

And love dares you